PDA

View Full Version : Short hair at the neckline, natural or not?

AgnesONutter
January 23rd, 2010, 01:57 PM
Okay, so I have a question that might seem strange, but lately I've started to wear my hair in high buns as a variation on my usual chignon and I've noticed that after a few hours I have these quite cute curls at neck length sprouting in all directions from my neckline, would they be caused by breakage or is it something everyone has that I just haven't noticed before because the strands usually weave themselves into the rest of my hair?

If it is breakage, I need help figuring out what is causing it. If the strands were long enough to reach my shoulders, I would have been tempted to blame my bag, but they are not. Can mufflers and sweaters break hair when you pull your hair free gently?

If it is natural growth, then yay! Then I will soon have officially thick hair when I put it up on a ponytail and measure. :)

celluloidwings
January 23rd, 2010, 02:05 PM
It's more than likely natural growth. I have the same thing. It's the hair that has grown back after being shaved off when I had my pixie cut.

Heidi_234
January 23rd, 2010, 02:10 PM
Hair all around the hairline - above your forehead, near your ears, behind them and above the neck, is usually very short, and usually does not grow longer. You'll notice 'neck hair' on everybody if you pay attention. It's just hair with much shorter terminal length. Well, at least, it never seems to grow longer :hatchet:

rach
January 23rd, 2010, 02:15 PM
and don't forget the horns may of us grow at the temples , sigh. :evil:

bbb is good for those by the way :)

Saldana
January 23rd, 2010, 02:36 PM
The hair at the base of my neck never gets much longer than about 4-5 inches. Same with the hair right in front of my ears.

xoxophelia
January 23rd, 2010, 02:44 PM
and don't forget the horns may of us grow at the temples , sigh. :evil:

bbb is good for those by the way :)

Oh my gosh.. I have them too!!

(is not the only one marred by the devil's curse.... :3)

OP: I have a whoole lotta short hairs all around my hair line as well. If you have cute ones, just leave em out and don't worry about it :)

AgnesONutter
January 23rd, 2010, 04:30 PM
Thank you everyone. In other words, no need to really worry about it but just enjoy the springy feel of the curls they make and wish my whole hair was as wavy/curly. :)

Laylah
January 23rd, 2010, 04:50 PM
I have those too. I examined a few of them for damage, but they seem fine- maybe in even better condition than the regular-length hair. I'd only be worried about damage if I noticed significant amounts of damaged, short hair.

DanielleRenae
January 23rd, 2010, 05:51 PM
I have so many of those little hairs that it's frustrating. When I pull my hair back in a ponytail, I actually put gel in my hair and put bobby pins on top of that because those little hairs stick out at my temples and forehead. Then, when I put my hair in a bun my friends laugh and pull at the little hairs on the nape of my neck because there are so many that it looks funny.

I don't mind having them, I just wish that they would stay put.

Ceisdein
January 23rd, 2010, 08:35 PM
I seem to remember reading somewhere that the little curls at the nape of the neck were traditionally called "heartbreakers" and were considered especially attractive and sexy. That was in the 18th or early 19th century of course but still; embrace the cute neck fluff!

Katze
January 24th, 2010, 03:51 AM
I have these and HATE them - they are a different texture and consistency than the rest of my hair and when my hair is down and my crown hair a bit dirtier, these curlier, coarser hairs make bumps under the straighter, finer canopy and make my hair look really ratty and messy.

When my hair is up I get what looks like a 'lobster tail' or 'neck pubes'. Lately I have been trying to get more of that 'heartbreaker' look by putting leave-in, then gel or mousse, into them and curling them around my finger. However, mostly, they just look messy and unkempt.

I do try to oil these hairs more often and sometimes think they are growing (they seem to get to about 5-6 inches, but not longer (? hard to tell because of so much new growth) and I keep hoping that they will some day be as long as the rest of my hair...

ravenreed
January 24th, 2010, 09:03 AM
My short neck hairs don't do anything near as appealing as curl up. Mine stick straight out in the ever lovely finger-in-the-light-socket look. It is 100 times worse if I am wearing a coat or shirt with a stiff upright collar.