PDA

View Full Version : Reporting a successful SMT (without aloe vera though)

Queen Olympias
January 23rd, 2010, 01:31 PM
I thought I would report a successful SMT for all of the other new members that may be interested in trying one or still figuring out how to do one. I have fine hair (I am type 1a/b F ii) so hopefully my experience can help other fine-hairs out there.

I washed using the CWC method with the SMT as the final "C." I used Trader Joe's Nourish Spa conditioner on the length of my hair, then TJ Nourish Spa shampoo on my scalp, rinsed, and then applied my SMT also using TJ Nourish Spa conditioner. However, my SMT did not have aloe vera gel; only honey and conditioner. I let it sit for one hour and then rinsed.

Now, several hours later after letting my hair air dry, I can confidently say that my SMT was a success. Detangling my hair was very easy (usually detangling is an ordeal for me, even if I wait until my hair is dry). My hair is soft, clean, and shiny. I highly recommend the Trader Joe's Nourish Spa products (at least for fellow fine-hairs).

So, fellow newbies, I hope that I have shared something helpful!

deko
January 23rd, 2010, 03:30 PM
Yes, I have often mixed a little honey to my conditioner. It's an easy way to boost the condish up and make it better. I have also mixed glyserin and jojoba oil to my conditioner and the results are always nice. SMT is very good to my hair, but when I'm out of aloe vera gel I just mix something else to make my conditioner better. That way I don't have to buy special deep treaments and it also saves some money.

juliaxena
January 23rd, 2010, 03:57 PM
My conditioner has caramel in it. Maybe it is just for smell but I like to imagine it has similar function to honey and that I actually do a SMT when using it lol. I think it could also be giving me some gold tones and I really like that. Anyway, tonight I am going to sleep with conditioner in my hair. I haven`t done that for quite a while. Why not use real SMT, well, I tryed it but when I heated the honey it got so sticky and it wouldn`t mix. I`m scared to use non heated honey. I love my color so much I don`t want to change it to a lighter one.

Queen Olympias
January 23rd, 2010, 05:01 PM
Good advice deko :)
I intend to use honey in my conditioner more often now for the extra boost of moisture. Jojoba oil is also a good idea, thanks! My hair is typically very dry so these are great suggestions.

Ravenwaves 88
January 23rd, 2010, 08:16 PM
I think I'll try with just honey because every conditioner I've used has created bits that stick in my hair and I think it's due to the aloe. Maybe it's the aloe brand.....I never thought about that....hmmmm ::thinks::

Katze
January 24th, 2010, 03:43 AM
I have also had very good results with SMTs, and am a finey. I came here with extremely damaged, bleached, dyed, heat-styled hair that I had never really experienced as being properly 'moisturized'. My scalp was also crusty and itchy with bloody spots from being scratched.

Someone suggested doing an SMT with every wash, and as I'd been stretching my washes when I first came here this worked really well. I left the SMT (natural conditioner, honey, pure aloe juice) on for several hours (quickly found that nothing above an hour really changed the benefits) and did this weekly.

After two months of this my hair was MUCH softer and shinier, my waves came out, and my scalp was in a lot better shape.

I still try to do SMTs when I can but it is hard with a baby - I don't get much time for long elaborate processes at the moment. Still, I try to do them before my weekly swim. They are great for getting my hair really soft and shiny and calming an irritated scalp.

SMT is just plain good! :)

Ravenwaves 88
January 24th, 2010, 08:24 AM
I just tried the SMT with just honey and Conditioner last night...it was amazing! My hair is quite soft and smells so good. It was a VO5 chamamile tea conditioner and honey bee honey. What a great combo!

Ravenwaves 88
January 24th, 2010, 08:44 AM
http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss334/Ravenwaves88/Hair/DSCF2433.jpg

Just wanted to share a photo as well!