PDA

View Full Version : Interesting quiz and a question about sweat...

Gypsygirl
January 23rd, 2010, 09:57 AM
So I took this quiz...

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/fitness/quiz.jsp?quizId=/templatedata/fitness/quiz/data/1128731810759.xml&catref=ftn40

Its supposed to judge how well you take care of your hair. LOL Check out the results I got... I'm doing the copy and paste thing:

Diagnosis: Hair Neglect

Even if you wear your hair long or are letting it grow, get your ends trimmed every three months, instructs Joelle, senior stylist at Avon Salon and Spa. Hair needs proportion adjustments so that it does not morph into ashapeless or out-of-control state. If you fear color upkeep or a drastic change, ask for a glaze or gloss at your salon, suggests Joelle. "It will give you great shine and simply enrich your natural color," she promises.
"Hair should be washed a minimum of every other day," says Joelle, senior stylist at Avon Salon and Spa. Your scalp needs to be cleansed of pollution and salty perspiration so that bacteria does not mix in and cause flaking. When it comes to your shampoo and conditioner, you can keep on saving cash, but ask your stylist for her favorite bargain products, and use the correct formulations for your hair. A sprayable, detangling leave-in conditioner will make your hair supple, shiny and never tacky-without hassle, mess or required skill.
Perhaps you shun blow-dryers because of the time and skill required. Let your stylist or her assistant show you easy techniques and time-saving tips-even if you are just going to wield one for big events. Toss your brush if bristles or protective rubber are missing. "If you are a minimalst and want to own a single brush, a gentle paddle brush is the best option," she says.
Try at-home deep-conditioning treatments twice a month, suggests Joelle. Hassle-free options can be applied in the shower and rinsed out after you've shaved your legs. Protect your hair at the beach or pool with a bandanna or hat, she suggests.

LOL!!! I realize these quizzes are automated, but I really got a laugh out of this, and I wanted to share it with all of you.

Well...in a way, it did get me thinking..about the sweat thing.
I have been trying to just do scalp washes after working out and then the full length about 3-4 times a week. My biggest problem is that I have been sticking to an exercise routine and I sweat something awful when I work out like that... I know... probably TMI. Sorry... But I wonder even though I wear a ponytail if the salt from the sweat gets onto my length...and if not washing it out every time could actually cause harm in the long run? Does anyone know if this can be harmful?

It is really hard for me to stick with scalp washing as I have a clean complex... LOL I don't feel like I am clean enough unless the length is washed, too. :rolleyes:

Tovah
January 23rd, 2010, 10:10 AM
Hahahah.....I said that I don't color and don't trim and don't blow dry and don't go in the water, yet I got these results. Obviously they don't match the answers that they give with your responses:

Diagnosis: Healthy Locks

You and your hair work well together. Whether you have been maintaining the same style for some time or enjoy updating your hair with seasonal trends, you are on target with your cutting schedule. Your color plan is fine-you know to get your roots touched up every four to six weeks, or when your highlights need attention.
"Add a few easy elements to your regime," suggests Joelle, senior stylist at Avon Salon and Spa. Try altering your shade with a gloss or glaze, which will change the tone of your single-process treatment or highlights. To determine your styling products du jour, consider the weather forecast, the condition of your hair before you shampoo it and your plans for the day and evening. Try defrizzing serum on humid or rainy days or a leave-in conditioner when your hair seems thirsty, and take along a root lifter for office-to-evening plans. Blow your hair just until dry, typically 5 to 10 minutes for short hair, 10 to 20 for medium, and 15 to 40 for long hair.
Keep your brush working for you by cleaning it weekly. Shampoo every other week in a sink of lukewarm water, rinse with cool water, shake out, and dry. Keep using protective hair products in the sun, and reapply after swimming. Also, wet hair with clean water before you jump in the pool or ocean to reduce the amount of chlorinated or salt water that your hair absorbs.

cmnt831
January 23rd, 2010, 10:11 AM
Lol! Did "Joelle" write the quiz as a way to increase clientele? :p

Now you've got me wondering about the sweat thing, too :confused:.

Gypsygirl
January 23rd, 2010, 10:18 AM
Congrats, Tovah! LOL

Oh, and as for Joelle...I think you are right. LOL Nice try. I love my hairdresser.

Madame J
January 23rd, 2010, 10:29 AM
When I run, if I'm not washing my hair with shampoo, I rinse it with water to get the sweat out. I don't handle it, except to lift the canopy to make sure water runs all over my scalp. I worry that salty dried sweat could dry out or damage my hair. I also sweat an incredible amount when I exercise (mostly running), and it's very salty.

I figure that, as long as I'm careful with it, getting it wet is better than letting all that salt dry on it. In the winter, I add a little oil the ends of my towel-dried hair, to make sure it doesn't dry out from being wet.

curlylocks85
January 23rd, 2010, 10:34 AM
Diagnosis: Healthy Locks

You and your hair work well together. Whether you have been maintaining the same style for some time or enjoy updating your hair with seasonal trends, you are on target with your cutting schedule. Your color plan is fine-you know to get your roots touched up every four to six weeks, or when your highlights need attention.

"Add a few easy elements to your regime," suggests Joelle, senior stylist at Avon Salon and Spa. Try altering your shade with a gloss or glaze, which will change the tone of your single-process treatment or highlights. To determine your styling products du jour, consider the weather forecast, the condition of your hair before you shampoo it and your plans for the day and evening. Try defrizzing serum on humid or rainy days or a leave-in conditioner when your hair seems thirsty, and take along a root lifter for office-to-evening plans. Blow your hair just until dry, typically 5 to 10 minutes for short hair, 10 to 20 for medium, and 15 to 40 for long hair.

Keep your brush working for you by cleaning it weekly. Shampoo every other week in a sink of lukewarm water, rinse with cool water, shake out, and dry. Keep using protective hair products in the sun, and reapply after swimming. Also, wet hair with clean water before you jump in the pool or ocean to reduce the amount of chlorinated or salt water that your hair absorbs.

Well this is what I got and I have to say that the answers to some of the question did not apply to me at all and I had to choose answers that I do not even do; these results are very inaccurate. Not that I mind healthy locks as a diagnosis, I always find these types of quizzes limit me from getting results true to me and my methods.

Fiferstone
January 23rd, 2010, 10:39 AM
I'm a healthy locks too, a lot of those questions really do not apply, though, I don't think their coloring question takes into account henna :).

Gypsygirl
January 23rd, 2010, 10:40 AM
Well this is what I got and I have to say that the answers to some of the question did not apply to me at all and I had to choose answers that I do not even do; these results are very inaccurate.

Yes... True.

And: Thanks, Lady Melantha! :flower:

Starblanket
January 23rd, 2010, 10:51 AM
I also received the diagnosis of hair neglect, apparently I need to trim my hair every three months so that it doesn't morph into a shapeless out-of-control state. :lol:

Thanks for the laugh, I needed that after having a groggy morning. :D

bumblebums
January 23rd, 2010, 11:27 AM
I started taking the quiz but gave up when three questions in a row didn't offer an option that was accurate. Typical women's magazine quiz:

"How often do you brush your hair?"
(a) "never, because I'm a disgusting slob."
(b) "daily, as recommended by my beloved stylist and said fashion magazine"
(c) "I abuse my hair so much that I no longer have any to brush"

Anyway... About sweat. Sweat is salty and acidic (until it mixes with your skin oils, which add other stuff in). The acidic part is not bad for your hair, and as for the salty part, it's unclear. You can use a salt spray to add body to your hair, and some people use salt water as a wash... But I am not sure it's necessarily good for your hair to soak in a salty solution for a long time. Don't know for sure, though, especially since the effect can't be the same once the sweat has dried.

Regardless of what sweat does to your hair chemically, I think the effect of regular exercise on your hair and body is too important to worry about what sweat does to it.

Heidi_234
January 23rd, 2010, 11:37 AM
This quiz is total LHC fail, there's no point in discussing it really. :?

Hiriel
January 23rd, 2010, 11:38 AM
Well, I suppose I do neglect my hair. I just don't think that's a bad thing! ;)
You can get a long way with benign neglect :)

Gypsygirl
January 23rd, 2010, 11:44 AM
This quiz is total LHC fail, there's no point in discussing it really.

As I said...I just wanted to give you a laugh...

You can get a long way with benign neglect :)

Yes! I second that! :)

Quixii
January 23rd, 2010, 12:36 PM
I also got that I neglect my hair. :roll: Mostly because the answers to the questions didn't always have one that applied to me.

I don't think salt is something to worry about in your hair.

Loreley
January 23rd, 2010, 12:56 PM
Healthy locks here as well. :D

Gypsygirl
January 23rd, 2010, 01:01 PM
Man, that's not fair... LOL!