PDA

View Full Version : How much/often has your goal length changed since TLHC?

Wicked Princess
January 23rd, 2010, 09:27 AM
So...just over a year ago, I found the LHC while looking around for tips on how to reduce breakage (which has virtually stopped...I love the LHC! :toast:). My hair was around hip length at the time, and I was very happy with it, because I considered it "quite long." However, after a few days of browsing through the forums, and seeing some of the lovely pictures others have shared, I became inspired to grow my hair to classic!

...I browsed some more and I thought mid-thigh might be nice... :D

...of course, everyone with knee-length hair looks really good, too... :o

...then again, I've seen some gorgeous, floor length hair... :p

I've seen another person (I forgot who) mention that once she had reached waist, she was inspired to grow her hair longer, too. So I was wondering...

Has this happened to you? Are you ever at least tempted to grow your hair longer than your original goal? And if you have changed your mind, how drastically has your goal length changed after spending more time here on the forums?

Dreamernz
January 23rd, 2010, 09:44 AM
Well I don't necessarily have set goals where I would stop but I do have the next goal I aim for etc. I do agree though that where there was a time I wouldn't have even considered kneelength now I am, in much the same process as you :)

RavennaNight
January 23rd, 2010, 09:50 AM
When I started growing in 4/08, I was between APL&BSL. I thought at first I wanted waist, but then decided to be silly and go for 37." If anyone has seen Clerks, they get the joke. Why I applied the joke to my hair, I don't know. I guess for when people will approach me and say "Wow your hair is long." I could say "Yeah! It's 37!" and have a little joke, if even just to myself. I haven't reached that goal yet, but I have been thinking about classic length. I know a lot of wearig hair up goes into it, so I will see. Maybe. But yes, I would say I have been inspired to atleast ponder longer hair since joining.

myrrhmaiden
January 23rd, 2010, 09:54 AM
When I first joined, I was going for a generous BSL. Then I thought waist. Then tailbone. Now I'm kind of set on classic. We'll see how I feel when I get there I guess.

Xandergrammy
January 23rd, 2010, 09:59 AM
My goal has always been to grow to my terminal length. I want to do it once in my lifetime.

Angela_Rose
January 23rd, 2010, 10:08 AM
I started with no particular goal in mind but "longer," and then decided to go for "terminal." I've since changed my mind on that and am pretty set on "knee," for several reasons.
I think Knee would be a very pretty length on me.
I'm going to lop off 6" when I get there and then grow back to & maintain at Knee.
I think much longer would be difficult to care for, as my hair is rather thick and coarse.

When I get to Knee, we'll see how I feel. If I decide then to go for Terminal, then there I'll grow! I must admit to being curious about where Terminal would be, though I don't care for the look- thin ends, wispy spots- of Terminal. I like a blunt hemline much better.

artemis
January 23rd, 2010, 10:11 AM
The first time I grew my hair out, I decided not to cut it until I had a baby. It got to hip-length before I got pregnant with my son. I cut it to my shoulders and then discovered that my husband likes it best when it is waist length :) So I'm growing it back out to my waist, but I really liked having long hair, so I might go longer, depending on the condition of my hair when it gets that long. It's looking healthier this time around, mostly due to stuff I learned here :)

girlcat36
January 23rd, 2010, 10:48 AM
When I joined, my goal length was 40". I thought that was reasonable.
Now I think I night have to settle for waist(30"), due to hair loss, and health problems.
Disappointing, but even at waist, my hair will be longer than it's ever been. I have 7" to go, with no plans to trim, barring any huge sheds.

Pixna
January 23rd, 2010, 10:52 AM
My goal length is LONG! :gabigrin: Of course, exactly what that means to me changes from day to day. Right now, I know I want to at least get to waist, but first I have to get to APL and then BSL, so I've got a way to go. I am mainly focusing on each individual goal along the way, one at a time. As I reach one goal, I will assess the next goal and aim for that. As far as the long-term or end-term objective, that changes -- it's really too far off for me to consider it written in stone. That's why I'm glad we can revise our profile anytime we need to! :smirk:

Speckla
January 23rd, 2010, 10:52 AM
I wanted to grow BSL and then I thought waist and then changed it to hip. I'm at BSL stretched but I think hip stretched will be enough.

Yozhik
January 23rd, 2010, 10:59 AM
When I joined, I wasn't even sure if I wanted to grow my hair out or hack it to a bob again. You all here definitely inspired me to try it long again! Along the way, I've discovered that it's a lot more fulfilling to have an ongoing project with a goal in mind than constantly be dissastified with my hair and going in for monthly haircuts.
I'm really enjoying the journey :)
My current goal is BSL, but I'll see how it feels when I get there :)

spidermom
January 23rd, 2010, 11:08 AM
All the time. My goal has pretty much been classic length, but I waffle among several options, including cutting back to waist with layers. All this hair is sometimes more than I care to deal with.

kelly-j
January 23rd, 2010, 11:32 AM
When I first joined LHC in 2005, my goal was to reach waist. But soon I changed my goal length to classic! I´ve hade waist long hair before but I thought classic was such a beautiful length and it would be a real challenge for me trying to reach it.

klcqtee
January 23rd, 2010, 11:35 AM
Well, when I started I was at shoulder length, shooting for waist. But I decided I want a U or V shaped hemline, and to have the bulk of my hair at waist, so the tips would be around hip. But I've been toying with the idea of knee or terminal recently, just to see how long it can get. Wouldn't it be crazy to have hair longer than me?! Mind you, longer than me isn't very long compared to some people here.

I think I'll probably bounce around between tailbone and waist though. Too much longer and it'll be longer than my arms, and I already have problems taking care of my hair while it's within reach.

BrightEyes
January 23rd, 2010, 11:41 AM
My current goal is BSL. But the longer I am a member of LHC, the more I want to grow it a bit longer. I think waist-length hair is so pretty, but my first aim is BSL. I've never even had it that long before. Once I get to BSL I'll have to see how I feel.

cmnt831
January 23rd, 2010, 11:46 AM
When I first started looking at hair length pictures here, I thought I would try for terminal, but now I'm thinking more along the lines of waist. I love the new-found curl that I have and don't want it to get weighed down too much and, to be realistic, I don't know if I have what it takes to care for extraordinarily long hair. The longest I ever had it before (about 18 years ago) was tail-bone length and had to cut it back to BSL because it was so damaged from my ignorance in caring for it.

But we'll see...I have a bad habit of changing my mind ;).

Alexannee10
January 23rd, 2010, 11:49 AM
Hahaha mine changed a lot too .. When I joined, I wanted floor lenght hair, I was BSL .. Now I'm almost waist, and I think that when I'll reach TB will be enough. I'll see thru years loll

CherrySilver
January 23rd, 2010, 12:13 PM
I started with no particular goal in mind but "longer," and then decided to go for "terminal." I've since changed my mind on that and am pretty set on "knee," for several reasons.
I'm going to lop off 6" when I get there and then grow back to & maintain at Knee.
I think much longer would be difficult to care for, as my hair is rather thick and coarse.

When I get to Knee, we'll see how I feel. If I decide then to go for Terminal, then there I'll grow! I must admit to being curious about where Terminal would be, though I don't care for the look- thin ends, wispy spots- of Terminal. I like a blunt hemline much better.

I'm with you, Angela_Rose! Ever since I started growing in '02, I've constantly (much to my amazement) upped my goal length. Now that I'm at classic+, I'm going for knee length and will also probably do a good trim because I like a thick, healthy hemline. Once I get there, I'll have to figure out if I'll just maintain at that length or if I'll up my goal length yet again!

RoseRedDead
January 23rd, 2010, 12:18 PM
My goal has changed twice.

My original goal was waist-length hair, then it was classic-length hair, and now it's fingertip-length/about midthigh-length hair.

Of course, I have minigoals in between (hips, tailbone, etc).

Lemur_Catta
January 23rd, 2010, 12:20 PM
When I started growing, I thought waist was LONG. Now that I am at waist, it doesn't feel long at all, so I am still growing to tailbone, which was my original goal...though I am considering classic. I might want to grow to classic and then, if I don't like it or it is too difficult to care for, maybe cut back to tailbone.
I like longer lengths on other people, but I don't think I would be able to take care of my hair if it was longer than classic.

Wicked Princess
January 23rd, 2010, 12:47 PM

I feel like this most of the time, too. I love the look of the longer lengths on everyone, but having never been at any of those lengths I'm not entirely sure if I would be able to manage my hair at those lengths. I am also insanely curious as to where terminal length is on me, but realistically, I prefer a more blunt, slightly U-shaped hemline so terminal might not be something I'll actually see on myself!

When I joined, I wasn't even sure if I wanted to grow my hair out or hack it to a bob again. You all here definitely inspired me to try it long again! Along the way, I've discovered that it's a lot more fulfilling to have an ongoing project with a goal in mind than constantly be dissastified with my hair and going in for monthly haircuts.
I'm really enjoying the journey :)
My current goal is BSL, but I'll see how it feels when I get there :)

I like this answer! I'm having fun taking care of (well...benignly neglecting, anyway) my hair. I intend to grow my hair out to mid-thigh, knees, and possibly longer and see if I like it on me as much as I love seeing it on others! But I'm in no rush, and will enjoy the journey, as you said.

camirra555
January 23rd, 2010, 12:50 PM
Originally my goal was waist but then I saw all the beautiful pictures here and now I'm aiming for tailbone

patience
January 23rd, 2010, 12:56 PM
Mine really hasn't changed much. I wanted to go as long as I can. The only thing that has changed, is now I have embraced my natural color (which I have always hated) and want it to be all virgin color.

GoddesJourney
January 23rd, 2010, 01:07 PM
Originally my goal was waist but then I saw all the beautiful pictures here and now I'm aiming for tailbone

I'm in this boat. I wanted the waist length of my childhood. After seeing so many pictures, I though hip or tailbone would look nice and be really fun. We'll see. Waist length would make me happy anyway, as long as it's thick and healthy to the ends. I had never really liked hair longer than that because my experience had always been seeing people with really awful, unkempt hair beyond that. Now that I've seen so many pictures on LHC, I can see how those people were simply not taking care of their hair. It's obviously possible to have knee length and beyond with it still thick and beautiful with various hair types and textures.

girloctopus
January 23rd, 2010, 01:23 PM
I've maintained between mid-back and waist for years, with occasional cuts back to shoulder that usually get grown right back out again. I found LHC when deciding whether or not to go for the henna plunge, and in the meantime was inspired to grow to classic.

I don't think I'll change that though. I find my length challenging to deal with because I also have super thickness and lots of waves, and I think past classic will be too much. But I'll see. I struggle to do a lot of updos because of my thickness, and I think that classic will give me sufficient length to finally make a celtic knot. *fingers crossed* Plus I'll have a curtain for my butt!

As challenging as I find my hair now, I spend a lot less time caring for it than I did when I was at shoulder. Can you say "triangle poof!" without blowdrying or straightening? I am so glad to not be standing for hours in front of the mirror doing that!

enfys
January 23rd, 2010, 01:45 PM
Since I've been here I've only wanted to get back to classic length, 44". And before that when it was that long, which it got to by being ignored, I had no desire to grow it.

So no, my goal length hasn't and will not change.

catysue
January 23rd, 2010, 02:07 PM
When I first started growing, I was at BSL. My goal was waist, and my tips are juuuuuuuust barely brushing waist now. I was planning on maintaining at waist and trimming to thicken up my hemline, but I want to keep growing. My next goal is hip/tailbone... I think I'll just S&D and do micro-trims while I'm growing

Once I get to hip or tailbone... we'll see how I feel. Really, I want to grow until my hair FEELS long to me. My waist-length hair doesn't FEEL long to me right now. Maybe it will at my next goal, or maybe I'll keep growing.... just until I feel like my hair is long enough for my taste

Imoness
January 23rd, 2010, 02:09 PM
My goal is still waist, but when I reach that, my goal will most likely change to classic.

nicolezoie
January 23rd, 2010, 02:23 PM
Like some, my goal has always been "longer" because my hair always seemed to want to be longer. Even now, at what I call ludicrous length, it STILL wants to grow longer. Since it appears that I CAN have a full hemline with this much length (63", I just trimmed 3.5 inches off the other day) I don't know how much longer I will WANT to go. I'm only a few inches from ankles now, and don't think I want hair longer than me. I've surpassed any and all goals I've had up to this point, and anything beyond this point is icing, so to speak. I guess the only real goal left is to have a really full hemline (only a couple very small sections of shorter bits remain) at ludicrous lengths.

redneckprincess
January 23rd, 2010, 06:01 PM
well before I ever found LHC I thought about BSL to waist would be nice but now I can see myself hitting classic or knee length someday......someday

FrozenPrincess
January 23rd, 2010, 09:04 PM
Originally I just wanted imy hair to be long enough to do 2 braids like wednesday addams (Addams Family). Since joinging LHC I've decided that i want to see how long my hair can possibly go.

Carolyn
January 23rd, 2010, 09:52 PM
Way back in the beginning, my goal was to get rid of the damned layers and get to MB/BS length again. All my life I'd lusted for waist length hair but never got there. So I thought why not go for it one more time? It's good to dream. After about 5 years of growing I finally got there. Decided to go for tailbone and got there. Trimmed it and did it again. Now I've trimmed it and have a goal of sitting on the endss which will be about 42". I think more than that will be more than I want but I won't know until I get there.

Ravenwaves 88
January 23rd, 2010, 10:06 PM
I was inspired to grow after having a friend with long hair. I just loved the look of it and never gave that to myself because I was so used to getting it cut the itch called to me.

SO ever since I found my friend I've been growing to tailbone like she has currently.

Monkey962
January 24th, 2010, 01:15 AM
Way back when, even before I joined LHC, a webcomic - yes, a webcomic was my main 'inspiration' - caused me to want shoulder-blade length hair. I remember that after getting there, it felt really really awesome on my bare back - particularly after a shower - very warm and cozy. That compelled me to want it longer. Secretly, I wanted waist length, but I wouldn't let anyone know that, since it was many inches away, and it would seem like an odd thing for a dude to want (I don't care that much these days, thankfully). In my search for hair care tips, I stumbled upon this site.

Before coming here, I was well aware that hair could be grown to what I previously thought were impossible lengths, like classic or beyond. Then after browsing here for awhile, I saw that a lot of y'all had these 'impossible' lengths. That compelled me to set my goal longer. For awhile, I wanted hip length hair. Well, I almost have that now. Then, I wanted tailbone. Not BCL, actual tailbone, where the bone ends. Then, I wanted classic. I decided this would be way too much work for someone as active as me. I'd never be able to have it down, because I'd be sitting on it all the time!

Nowadays, I'm pretty set on 39" or maybe an even 40", which is around BCL for me. But hey - maybe I'll get there and keep growing. I would adore something past classic, with thick ends. In fact, another character from a webcomic has thick, blunt knee-length hair, which I wish I could have.

Sammich
January 24th, 2010, 03:39 AM
Hah! My last goal that I wanted my hair was supposed to be hip...
After browsing the forums: Classic.
After seeing pictures at thigh and inspired by a friend having thigh length in real life: Thigh.
So yes, my final goal length is thigh... :) (If I can do it.)
Then someday in the future I'm going to see my terminal length, when I have plenty of time. :)

AnitaThorn
January 24th, 2010, 05:56 AM
When I first started growing my hair, I wanted it to be at waist length...now, after joining TLHC, my goal is classic length (and longer)! :D

missjessiecakes
January 24th, 2010, 06:09 AM
Ha. Okay so I am probably going to join the people saying when it feels long originally it was classic but have you seen Cinnamon Hair's hair? Its beautiful and her pictures convinced me of longer. So I will grow until I feel its long or I step on it.

jojo
January 24th, 2010, 09:00 AM
I orignially joined here with the intention of getting to waist but within weeks I changed my mind and thought classic would be nice, but I wouldnt be at all supprised if once i got to classic i cut back to waist!

JamieLeigh
January 25th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Well.....since my ultimate goal is terminal, it'd be hard to decide to grow past that. ;) I set short term goals in the numbers to the side of my posts, and once I meet those goals, I change them to the next goal. So although I'm shooting for as long as possible, I do it in short spurts, so I can gain thickness along the way. If that makes sense. :o

missmagoo
January 25th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Mine has changed, but mostly because my hair doesn't feel long to me yet. I though that at BSL it would start to feel long, but it really doesn't yet. I don't see myself growing past waist, but if it still doesn't feel long at that point I probably will!

Eden Iris
January 25th, 2010, 11:19 AM
I think my original goal was simply "more" and no layers. Then I changed it to waist. Then part of my hair got to waist, and the rest was still languishing anywhere between BSL and waist, and I cut it all back to shoulder, about which I have absolutely no regrets, btw. Right now I'm really happy about having a blunt hemline, but I know that I am far too lazy to get to the salon on a regular schedule, so it'll probably grow again. If I can keep it blunt and not scraggly to BSL, then maybe I'll try for waist again, although I do enjoy not having to put it up every day.

Keildra
January 25th, 2010, 11:39 PM
My original goal was mid thigh because in my closed world at the time hip or tailbone was the longest length I had ever seen so I wanted to surpass that. Now I'm debating between mid thigh and knee so I change my mind like every fifteen minutes.

joyellen
January 26th, 2010, 12:18 AM
When I first joined my ultimate goal was hip, but after a while I decided I'd like to try for classic if I can make it there with a reasonably thick hemline. If that's not in the cards for me, I'd be perfectly happy with hip length, though.

akilina
January 26th, 2010, 12:24 AM
My main goal has been BSL ever since I joined. At this point I'm probably an inch or more past apl. Idk...maybe 4 or 5 inches past my collar bone. It just doesnt feel like apl to me. Not a true thick apl. That might be why im not satisfied. I hope to reach bsl in this year.

Friesiangirl
January 26th, 2010, 12:26 AM
I made my life easy by just stating terminal on day one. Wherever that leads me. I'll be happy if I get to BSL, honestly. It's a part of who I am, so I can't fight it or change it. But in a perfect world, I would have knee length hair--we'll see.

Hayley

Hiriel
January 26th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Bah. When I first joined, I did so looking for hair style help, and didn't really have any specific plans to grow my hair longer (but sometimes it just happens ;)). It took all of three seconds to make me want longer hair... First I settled on waist, and I'm pretty much there now, and it doesn't really feel longer than it did at BSL. I also quickly realised that my hair is thicker than it seems, and if a hairstyle claims to be possible with BSL hair, my hair needs to be at least waist.. So of course, I need even longer hair ;) My current goal of 35 inches is somewhere on my butt, not sure if it's quite tailbone. But I'm already thinking of classic.

charley27
January 29th, 2010, 07:09 PM
After ONE week on LHC, I've gone from BSL to waist----but, now, I'm thinking hip would be nice....

Never, in a million years would I have thought I wanted hair that long. Then again, a trip to Hawaii and seeing all those long-haired hula dancers has helped influence me too. :)

Fractalsofhair
January 29th, 2010, 07:13 PM
I've considered it, and I might go to tailbone, however, I wouldn't want to have hair that is long enough to sit on. I'll see though. Knee isn't a flattering length, IMO, but that's just because my brother had it and he was balding, so when I've seen it in person, it looked horrid. Admittedly, he wore his hair down all the time, rarely used conditioner, etc. Bad look.

Red_Head_Reader
January 29th, 2010, 09:39 PM
For a while I was thinking somewhere around BSL is where I would stop, but lately I've been thinking of growing out to waist :)

MissMay
January 30th, 2010, 05:05 AM
When I started - after a horrific haircut that was entirely my own fault - I just wanted my old length (BSL) back. Now, however, I'm toying with the idea of waist or hip . . . He he =)

chloeishere
January 30th, 2010, 11:33 AM
When I joined, I wasn't sure if I wanted to grow my hair at all. I was growing out an absolutely terrible haircut (2 giant layers... I had the biggest mushroom head ever), and had just self-chopped the lowest layer when it had gotten to shoulder.

I also had just colorfixed my hair a few months before, to remove dye. I knew that I didn't want to dye again, but I wanted to return my hair to it's original color (it was still decidely orange-r from the colorfix). Then I stumbled upon the honey thread (from the Chagrin Valley page; I stopped using shampoo bars, but stayed with LHC), and used it to return my hair to it's normal color.

Then I started trying other things, and I decided to grow my hair again, I was tired of going to chin to shoulder and back again. With these techniques, I thought I could get my hair to stop feeling so lousy and needing to be cut.

So, I wasn't sure what goal to go for; I ended up deciding at Tailbone, but I might cut back to waist after I get there. I also might go for classic (that's a recent decision), I think it would be managable, and I wear it up most of the time anyway.
However, my posterior is fairly attractive, so I'm not sure if I want to mask one of my boyfriend's favorite features with a hair-curtain. :p

little_acorn
January 30th, 2010, 01:38 PM
I joined wanting to get to waist - I've never had hair longer than BSL ever. Its taken me 6 months or so to get to the longest hair I've ever had (I'm just past BSL now). I should reach my initial goal of waist some time in April or May. After that, maybe I'll go for tailbone as I'm like Hirel I have thick(ish) hair and can't do alot of the buns you are supposed to be able to do at BSL - and I want to do these buns!!!

Avalin
January 31st, 2010, 06:05 AM
When I started growing, I thought waist was LONG. Now that I am at waist, it doesn't feel long at all, so I am still growing to tailbone, which was my original goal...though I am considering classic. I might want to grow to classic and then, if I don't like it or it is too difficult to care for, maybe cut back to tailbone.
I like longer lengths on other people, but I don't think I would be able to take care of my hair if it was longer than classic.

This is exactly what I was going to say. Waist doesn't feel long enough. I am just concerned that sitting on my hair will eventually be a problem. I am also very active so I want to be able to keep it nice and out of the way... A braid can even get in the way if it is too long... I suppose I could loop the braid eventually... but with all the swimming and traveling I do it is hard enough.

Noctifer
January 31st, 2010, 06:09 AM
I more or less has changed my goal from waist to hipor maybe tail bone, we will see where i end up

FrannyG
January 31st, 2010, 06:46 AM
My primary goal here has been to get healthier hair first, and length second. Having said that, my goal has always been tailbone, but I will be happy to achieve waist length. :happydance:

Upside Down
January 31st, 2010, 08:34 AM
I wanted and still do want midback or possibly waist lengt, but my perception of long hair has changed since reading posts on LHC. Waist seemed crazy long before... now, not so much :)

Leneveu
January 31st, 2010, 09:04 AM
I started at BSL and wanted waist, as I neared waist my goal changed to hip, now that I'm can-I-call-this-hip? I'm aiming for TB... I think I see a pattern emerging :ponder:

Katrina
January 31st, 2010, 09:39 AM
I started at BSL and wanted waist, as I neared waist my goal changed to hip, now that I'm can-I-call-this-hip? I'm aiming for TB... I think I see a pattern emerging :ponder:

This is my story too, except that as I neared hip my goal changed to tailbone and when I neared tailbone I wanted classic. As I reached tailbone, my goal changed to "classic and perhaps some more"... like, mid-thigh.

Looks like my goal changes constantly as my hair grows longer. There's definitely a pattern ;)

SheaLynne
January 31st, 2010, 10:17 AM
Haha...this is so true!

I think seeing the very healthy long lengths here at LHC is a real eye-opener that really long hair does not have to mean unhealthy or uncared for hair. That's what has made my goal continually increase!

I came here 6 months ago with almost waist length that I could hardly do any updos with (iii hair with layers). I wanted to go to hip length with healthy ends.

Now I finally understand why I've never been able to do the updos I see in my book on styles for long hair! I am actively on my way to tb, with no qualms about heading on to classic after that. And I even toy with the idea of finding out what my terminal might be. NO ONE in my family, back to those born in the early 1900s, ever had long hair that would show what the genetics might provide, so I would be a trendsetter in my family!

On to glorious lengths of luxurious hair!! Thanks LHC!

Keildra
January 31st, 2010, 07:41 PM
This is my story too, except that as I neared hip my goal changed to tailbone and when I neared tailbone I wanted classic. As I reached tailbone, my goal changed to "classic and perhaps some more"... like, mid-thigh.

Looks like my goal changes constantly as my hair grows longer. There's definitely a pattern ;)
I think I have the same thing, I call it the anorexia affect (anorexics think their too fat no matter how skinny they are, I think my hair's too short no matter how long it is) but I'm not losing health over it so I don't worry about it :D

LoversLullaby
January 31st, 2010, 08:48 PM
At first when I came here I wanted about BSL hair. Then after being here a few days, I wanted waist length hair. Now I'm sort of contemplating tailbone, but I want to get to waist first and see where it goes from there. :D

forgetmenotak
January 31st, 2010, 09:49 PM
After almost reaching my first major goal of waist, I plan to maintain for a little while and get my ends healthier. I have toyed with the thought of going on to tailbone, or even classic. But I don't think that I will keep it at that length, I like my hair down to much. But who knows. :)

HeatherAshley3
January 31st, 2010, 09:54 PM
My primary goal here has been to get healthier hair first, and length second. Having said that, my goal has always been tailbone, but I will be happy to achieve waist length. :happydance:

Im with you, but I'm only shoulder length = (
BUT my goal is to get healthy. My goal for length is BSL.
I know...Ive got a ways to go!
Anyone else at SL and wanting to get to BSL?:o

freckles
February 1st, 2010, 01:43 AM
When I came here I wanted tailbone length hair, and I still want tailbone length hair, so I guess my goal hasn't changed. OTOH, pre-LHC I thought anything longer than that was 'too long', whereas now I am in love with it. I still don't know if it's for me, but I am more open to the idea of growing to classic or longer now, so we'll see if I get to tailbone and change my mind :)

inertia
February 1st, 2010, 02:05 AM
My goal length hasn't changed. I wanted somewhere around TB to classic with fairytail ends. Maybe. Longer than that would probably require more protective care than I'm willing to give. Also, I've had TB length before and already know from experience that this is dangerously pushing the limits of my patience, so if I start to get frustrated again I won't hesitate to trim it back to hip.

Jenn of Pence
July 21st, 2010, 08:00 PM
I was thinking about this today, so I searched and found this thread. My hair has been around mid-back for half my life, but I always wanted what I called "waist." I found LHC in hopes of getting back on the track of good hair care and figuring out how to grow it longer than I had been able to accomplish before. I started off with a goal length of "waist," but as I've contemplated it, I've decided that I what I'd dreamed of all these years was really something closer to hip length. And, like most of the people in this thread, the longer I spend on LHC the longer my hair grows in my mind! Finding out my terminal length is intriguing, but I may not go that far. I would really like to achieve a "head-eating bun," hehe. Maybe that would be around tailbone. Practically, I'll just set one goal at a time and see what I feel like doing when I get there!

Chamomile betty
July 21st, 2010, 08:15 PM
It's changed many times. Most of my time has been spent growing out short layers. Since I've been BS and one length I've been concentrating on growing to waist. I think it just depends on what stage your at and what's going on with your hair.

Alvrodul
July 21st, 2010, 08:24 PM
I have been growing my hair out for some years now, although I only found LHC a couple of months ago, and joined last month.
Growing my hair out has been something of a struggle - damage due to chemical colors and some bleach had made its mark, although I am mostly rid of that now, fortunately.
I did not have any particular goal in mind when I joined - my hair is now a bit below the waist, and I have a stated goal of TBL, although I might decide to go for classic - I am fairly sure that I can manage that, since my hemline is nice and full.
Beyond that? No way of knowing. If my hemline starts to get scraggly before I get to classic, I expect I will cut it back some. But if it is nice and full, I expect I will just let it grow. :meditate:

strwbrry dakri
July 21st, 2010, 08:32 PM
I am almost at my original goal, which is BSL. Now, I'm thinking waist? Maybe?

Hotrox
July 21st, 2010, 08:57 PM
My original goal was APl - but now I don't even think if that as long hair, so I think BSL. I really can't see myself with hair any longer than that, or having the patience to get there..... but who knows? If I'm still enjoying the journey then I will continue

Capybara
July 21st, 2010, 09:30 PM
While my goal length of classic hasn't changed since I found (a few years ago) and joined (a few months ago) LHC, I've come to ponder longer lengths more often. I can see myself growing to thigh just for the journey, and then cutting back to maybe classic or tailbone.

I'd like to get to classic with blunt ends, and then cur a deep v shape so it's at hip/tailbone in the front, and a little past classic in the very back. We shall see though ..

Great thread! Interesting to see what everyone has experienced :)

HintOfMint
July 21st, 2010, 09:57 PM
My original goal, before LHC, was the small of my back which is just at hip (top of hip bones). For a while it remained there, and then a discussion came up about how long we want it to look from the front and I decided that in order to reach hip in the front, it would have to be around tailbone in the back. I changed my goal to tailbone. As I was toying with the idea of classic because I would love to look in the mirror and pretend I'm Venus on the half-shell, I suddenly realized that my terminal may be just above waist, like my mother and grandmother. I had a thread about it, and while there are some very good arguments as to why I may not have such a short terminal length, I don't want to get my hopes up.

So now my goal length is waist. Once I reach it and move past it, I'll think about where I want my hair to grow next. It may be hip, it may be tailbone, it may be classic. We'll see.

jlw9222
July 21st, 2010, 10:02 PM
Honestly, just reading through this thread made me change my mind three times. :)

I originally started off wanting my hair to reach a certain spot in front because that would be long, then, BAM! I happened upon this site and now, I've gone from a goal of waist to hip and now I may want tailbone. Curses! For someone who has little patience, changing my mind to a longer goal makes me a little uncomfortable. :)

Flossy
July 21st, 2010, 10:56 PM
My original goal (and has been for a couple of years) was waist. Since joining LHC, I've realised waist is not where I thought it was! I was picturing at the top of my jeans, which is actually more hip.

So I've actually almost (I've got about an inch to go before I can confidently call it waist) reached my original goal, but the goal post have actually moved. Hip is the new length for me, first with no trims (so who knows how it will actually look) and then maintaining until I get the hemline I want, which I haven't decided on. Probably a shallow U shape.

Jenn of Pence
July 21st, 2010, 11:03 PM
My original goal (and has been for a couple of years) was waist. Since joining LHC, I've realised waist is not where I thought it was! I was picturing at the top of my jeans, which is actually more hip.

Yes! My thoughts exactly. :D

Loreley
July 22nd, 2010, 02:02 AM
It hasn't changed since I joined. I've wanted to have thigh-length hair for ages. :D

meph
July 22nd, 2010, 02:12 AM
When I first joined here I didn't know what my goal length was, I just knew I wanted to grow my hair. Then after seeing lots of pictures of other peoples hair, I decided on classic. That was my goal length for a while but then I changed it to hip, and it'll probably stay hip. But maybe, once I reach hip, I'll be growing to classic after all. Or longer...;)

jera
July 22nd, 2010, 02:18 AM
My goal length changes all the time due to what condition my hair may be in, my moods, etc. etc. When my hair seems to be stagnating, I get discouraged and think I'll never reach my goal of knee length. When I reach a mini milestone, I envision myself with floor length Rapunzel like hair. But in my heart, I'd love ankle length hair. :D
I don't know what my terminal length will be but we'll see. This is going to be an interesting journey.;)

Newniepg
July 22nd, 2010, 02:23 AM
I remember when I joined I wasn't aiming for any particular length, I just needed to learn how to look after my hair so it was healthier.

Of course, this 'goal' business is a bit addictive and now I wan't my hair to reach my hip bones, my goal hasn't moved since then and although I greatly admire super long hair, I don't think it is for me at the moment. :)

haibane
July 22nd, 2010, 06:17 AM
For many years I've had this dream about knee-length hair or longer. I never really specified, I only really thought of it "impossibly long". I guess finding LHC made me think that maybe, maybe it's possible. :)

I still don't know where my terminal length is, but my longest hairs are just an inch from being halfway to the floor, and they have been trimmed a couple of times, so I have some hope.

My biggest concern right now is how hard it would be to handle and manage my hair if it gets long enough to sit on, or even beyond. But I guess I'll deal with that if I get there. :D

Barniie
July 22nd, 2010, 06:27 AM
I think I might grow to... *drumroll*

Hip.

Ooh, I know. Rebel.

Dars
July 22nd, 2010, 06:29 AM
Before LHC I just wanted it longer but didn't know exactly how long (nothing extraordinary though). Fresh to LHC I decided I'd go for waist. That changed to my current goal. I want to grow to front BSL, which may very well turn out to be waist from the back? I just don't think I could personally handle hair longer than that, but I admire those who do!

katze666
July 22nd, 2010, 07:43 AM
At a first time i wanted waist, few time later i wanted hip, and now i want classic:D

And iīm only at bra...:(

lillylonghair
July 22nd, 2010, 08:17 AM
Hhhmmmm,when I first officially joined LHC (and stopped being a lurky lurker:) my goal was to just have healthy hair grow out my chopped off,bleached fried mess. My hair is now almost to bsl! I haven't been on in a long time and recently have considered chopping my hair off. Thats when I realized I needed to come back for some inspiration and strength to keep growing! I'm thinking at least hip length.

Alcenaia
July 22nd, 2010, 08:20 AM
It's interesting to read everybody's stories about this.

Before I found LHC, I didn't have a goal length. I just had a rule that I did not cut it.

Now I want to grow to terminal or floor, whichever is first. :grin: I try not to get too focused on the goals though. It will grow. :p

Finoriel
July 22nd, 2010, 08:27 AM
My goal did not change at all during all the time.
Which may be due to the fact that I just donīt have any goals lengthwise :o :shrug: :p

Merewen
July 22nd, 2010, 08:56 AM
My goal has not changed at all.

Officially.

See, my goal at joining was the incredibly vague "between waist and knee." Waist was the absolute shortest I could imagine myself accepting, and I'd always admired knee-length hair, but was unsure about how practical it would be. I figured I'd probably end up in the middle somewhere.

But now that I am getting closer to waist, I can see that it really would be too short for me. Hip also keeps looking shorter and shorter. Knee keeps looking lovelier and lovelier.

So I'm now growing until it is too long, then cutting back. It might happen before knee (what happens when I can't reach my ends?) but it might not.

What's really funny is that my husband's ideas of long hair are changing too and he doesn't even come here. Knee used to be definitely too long, but now he says he'd have to see it to know. So onward!

KittyLost
July 22nd, 2010, 09:05 AM
My goal length is Classic, which I will cut back to waist after a while. I love the long hair on here but I don't think I could handle my hair past classic! I'm clumsy and useless at updoes, it wouldn't be fair to my hair ;)

Amelia
July 22nd, 2010, 09:09 AM
When i joined my hair was well past APL and my goal was BSL+. Now I don't know. I'll try waist and if i don't like it I can always cut it back. So, it changed once so far ;)

paperwhite
July 22nd, 2010, 09:24 AM
My goal length has never changed, I set out for terminal when I decided to actively aim for a goal length. It's partially out of curiosity regarding how long it can get, and partially because it's a challenge I can work on for a long time while still tracking my length and enjoying hitting mini-goals in inches.

LittleOrca
July 22nd, 2010, 10:14 AM
When I first came to LHC my goal for my hair was to the floor. I had neglected it badly for a few years though so an attempt to figure out my terminal length left me short, at about calf length. Sadly, I accepted that privately as my new goal until I learned to ignore the terminal calculations and that they are not always right and are sometimes downright stupid, like telling someone with 50 inches of hair their terminal length was back at 30. Since then, I have been back to growing to the floor!

Cupofmilk
July 22nd, 2010, 10:48 AM
I don't know. I think classic is the limit for me. So bring it on. Having seen knee length hair on here I have realised I couldnt' cope with it!

*Aoife*
July 22nd, 2010, 02:19 PM
When I joined LHC I wanted waist length hair. Then I realised that wasn't just long enough so I decided on hip. But lately I've been wondering how long terminal would be and just wanting to grow it to terminal at least once in my life.

Sunsailing
July 22nd, 2010, 05:01 PM
I joined back in 2000-01 (can't quite remember, it's been too long ago). It was right at the beginning of my growing process from short. I did not have a goal in mind. I just knew I wanted long hair. Back then, I thought having hair half way down my back was probably an unreachable goal.

I was influenced by this forum. It grew to half way down my back. Then it kept growing.

At the longest point, it was just barely 40" if I pulled it straight. 40 inches was just too long for me. I kept accidentally tucking it in my pants. It got stuck in "places" while taking a shower. I found it just too long. Plus, I like more of a thicker, neat hemline.

So I cut back to where it is now and have been keeping it here. It had been years since I measured it, so I measured it recently...it measured 35".

My hair is currently longer than it probably would've been without influence from the forum. It surely would've never reached it's longest at 40".

Juneii
July 22nd, 2010, 05:05 PM
first it was waist, then it became tailbone, and now I want classic or thigh length...

paigeturner
July 22nd, 2010, 05:26 PM
Firstly, I'm a tiny girl so would sturggle IMMENSELY to take care of it and second I don't think my hair is quite thick and strong enough to cope with longer (I like a blunt hemline).

Rennire
July 22nd, 2010, 05:32 PM
Solid tailbone has always been my goal and still is. I've been toying with the idea of trying for classic though...

tanya222
July 22nd, 2010, 05:35 PM
When I found LHC I thought I wanted it 'down to the bottom of my butt' (which I didn't know then is called classic).

Now I'm just about to classic and after seeing the pictures on here of so many with hair to their knees and looking just breathtaking, my next goal is to the knee, or terminal if that comes first!

HintOfMint
July 23rd, 2010, 02:01 AM
I just realized, after going through all these answers that I am one of the few people who actually has a shorter goal length than the one she started with. Then again, one can say that waist is a "mini" goal and not my actual goal of hip. But frankly, I'm going to try to not even think of hip until I solidly reach waist and possibly trim out a few layers.

pepperminttea
July 23rd, 2010, 02:19 AM
When I joined my goal length was tailbone. Now I'm going for classic, but darn it if knee length doesn't look appealing... :D

Merewen
July 23rd, 2010, 10:09 AM
Something else I notice has changed is my REASON for the goal length, at least in part. When I first joined, it was because of how pretty it would be down. But now I have all these style related goals. I need long enough hair to do a decent braided bun/to be able to do hair taping and have it be stable and not puny/to tie a knot in my hair and have a proper ponytail come out of it. Now I want the length I'd need to DO things with it.

marikamt
July 23rd, 2010, 10:17 AM
When I joined, My hair was just past APL and I really, really wanted BSL hair.... then I got to BSL and wanted waist length hair.... I just reached waist and would really like hip (or maybe classic).... not sure if I want it much longer than that, but we will see :D I have said those words before......... the decision on final length will be based on how I feel about my hemline and whether it gets to be 'too much' for me..........

sipp10
July 23rd, 2010, 10:18 AM
I thought BSL would be long enough, but now that I'm scraping it, it seems realllly short!lol

I think I'll have to grow to waist length to have any satisfaction at all.

Laurenji
July 23rd, 2010, 10:56 AM
Before LHC I was thinking a little past APL, maybe BSL. Now I definitely want hip...

dropinthebucket
July 23rd, 2010, 11:09 AM
When i first joined a few months ago, I thought, if i can just get to APL! I've never had hair that long, ever! Now I'm an inch and a half away, and ya know, I think I could get to BSL, even as an F/i ! :)

littleflowerr
July 26th, 2010, 02:51 AM
I just joined in june! and my goal is bsl right now! but i'm aiming towards tailbone :) i've just always wanted tailbone length but never really kept with it. I'm more motivated now then ever though! happy growing everybody!

Cheeks1206
July 26th, 2010, 07:54 AM
From past experience, I know that my hair doesn't feel long until about waist. It drives me a little crazy when people mention that my hair is long when it's shorter than that. Yes, it is getting long, but no, it is not long. I digress. For me, when I joined five months ago, I declared that my goal length would be tailbone. Really, that was just because I was a little afraid to say I wanted classic length "out loud". Not because of censureship, never here, but because I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to make it to that length. Now, however, I've given that silly thought up and I can't wait to make it to classic one day! So, I guess my goal never really changed, I just rallied my courage and declared what it is I really want.

lapushka
July 26th, 2010, 08:10 AM
I had 3 goals: BSL, waist, HL. CL was in the back of my mind but I didn't even think I'd get to BSL, ever. I was convinced of that! Convinced it wouldn't be practical, but actually with my hair, it's so much easier longer (practically no styling effort) than having to control short and spiky, all-over-the-place hair over and over again.

I had CL at about age 10/11 and since that time I never went past BSL ever again, until this year when I finally reached BSL. Yay! Right now I'm slowly heading towards waist. I'm taking it one step at a time, and maybe I'll reach CL some day. Who knows.

Beyond CL is just too long for me.

LouLaLa
July 27th, 2010, 06:07 AM
Origionally I wanted hip length hair but now Ive realized its more important to me to get virgin waist length. It will be so nice to not have to deal with dye anymore or trying to rectify overprocessed dry ends!

Maddy25
July 27th, 2010, 06:59 AM
When I first started I wanted waist, then that didnt seem long enough and I changed it to Hip.....and now my goal is TailBone hehe.