PDA

View Full Version : My shedding rate has decreased to probably half...

Little_Bird
January 23rd, 2010, 06:40 AM
Yes, yet another shedding thread from me, but this time it is a rather positive one.

I used to shed normally during the week, about 50 strands max, and maybe 200 when I washed my hair in the weekend. (considering the 60 to 100 strands a day as avergare, I faces it as average shedding).

Now I am shedding so much less. I have changed some stuff in my routine so I'm not sure what's causing it.

I have been using a shampoo that hasn't got SLS's, and it has Zinc Sulphate in it. I've read from diferent sources that this Zinc Suphate kinda kills the DHT , which usually causes male pattern baldness. But then again, I wasn't balding! My hair was thick even shedding the way it did, so this is strange.
I also started blowdrying my routs, trying to keep humidity out of my scalp to see how it would improve my seborreah. I has helped actually, I don't see much flaking like I sometimes see...

Those were the major changes. Now I wonder if it's the sulphate, the blowdrier, or if it has simply changes by itself, or can even be the 3 all together!

Now, you must be thinking "the guy is never happy" but don't get me wrong! I've been very happy with this BUT, I really don't want it to be because of the zinc sulphate, for a reason: the idea that the zinc sulphate might create a dependency, and when I stop using my old shedding comes back even bigger than it normally was. It also scares me the idea that this component is used for hair shedding and DHT, because I didn't think I had that thing going on :confused:

Hmm... any ideas on this guys?

Thank's so much for reading, hope I explained my point correctly :p :flower:

cmnt831
January 23rd, 2010, 07:24 AM
That's great that you're shedding less - wish I could say the same for myself. I understand why you would be worried that it's the zinc sulfate that's helping with the shedding, because if that's the case, then that would be a whole other problem to deal with in the long run. Maybe you could try leaving off the zinc sulfate shampoo and use a different one that doesn't have SLSs. It could be that switching to the SLS-free shampoo was what helped the shedding. If the blowdrying of your roots is helping the seborrhea, then keep that up. Also, did you see the thread here about washing your hair in cool water to help keep the hair from falling out as much when washing it? I think it's called "cold water washing" or something like that. Maybe that helps, maybe it doesn't :p. I hope you find some answers :).

Bucatini
January 23rd, 2010, 08:06 AM
My first thought was "You're Pregnant!!" But you're a man. So that's not helpful at all. :o

Sissy
January 23rd, 2010, 08:29 AM
hmm, I don't really have any info for you but think the zinc sulphate sounds interesting. Do you have a list of products containing zinc sulphate? I'm interested for my husband :)

Little_Bird
January 23rd, 2010, 09:06 AM
cmnt831, what do you mean with long term problems because of the zinc sulfate?
Thank's for your hints =) I guess I'll look for another sls free shampoo after I finish this one, but they are really hard to find!

Sissy, I don't have any list of shampoo's with this ingredient, but there is some information on the internet about it. Just do a search on zinc sulfate and hair loss. I've read both sides of the story about it, some say it's good, some say it ain't. Good luck for your husband!

Any more ideas guys? Someone know the true facts of zinc sulfate? Or what can have caused my shedding decrease?

Thank's :)

cmnt831
January 23rd, 2010, 09:29 AM
cmnt831, what do you mean with long term problems because of the zinc sulfate?
Thank's for your hints =) I guess I'll look for another sls free shampoo after I finish this one, but they are really hard to find!

Thank's :)

All I meant was that if the zinc sulfate is used to help decrease male pattern balding and your hair is responding, then I would hope you don't have male pattern balding in the long run. Does that make sense? I'm not saying that there's anything bad about zinc sulfate itself or that it would cause long term problems. And I would hope your hair doesn't become dependent on it, either. Other than that, I don't know much about zinc sulfate. It seems like there's all kinds of research on various minerals and what they can do and a lot of it gives conflicting information.

But, if it's working to keep your hair from shedding and you don't have any issues with it personally, except wanting to find out more about how and why it works, I don't see why you would need to quit using it. Especially if it means you can keep your gorgeous head of hair intact :D.

girlcat36
January 23rd, 2010, 09:44 AM
I've been going through the same thing, Little Bird.
I am now using Nizoral(sulfate free), and I bought a diffuser hair dryer. I had the same thought as you regarding keeping the scalp dry.
Green tea, spearmint tea, and pumpkin seeds when taken internally are DHT blockers.

My shower sheds have gone from well over 100, to under 100(but not by much). I am not sure what is helping.
I would love to get my shed down to under 50 per wash, so I can keep some hair on my head!

I also doubled my iron intake, started eating more animal protein, and added a hair vitamin.
I guess I started way too much stuff all at once, now I'll never know what helped.

Little_Bird
January 23rd, 2010, 09:48 AM
All I meant was that if the zinc sulfate is used to help decrease male pattern balding and your hair is responding, then I would hope you don't have male pattern balding in the long run.

It does make sense, but what confuses me is that I always had the same shedding rate since I started growing my hair, more or less, and I never had a decrease in ponytail circumference, or in general thickness... If I had something related to male patterns baldness already then I would have had to notice a decrease in overall thickness somehow right?

Honestly to me, of the 3 things I mentioned to be possible to change my shedding rate, the zinc sulfate is the one I think is more likely to have done it. I just can't find anywhere in the internet if it just reduces shedding because it blocks DHT (which caused MPB) or if it helps hair loss in general.

One way or the other, I'm going to finish this shampoo and try another one without zinc sulfate, and see what it does. I honestly am scared of this ingredient, for reasons already mentioned, and I prefer having my old shedding rate, which gave me tailbone lenght hair with good thickness so far, than depending on a product and now knowing if it's harmless in the long run or not...

If the theories are right and MPB is herited from the boy's mother's dad (grandfather), then I shouldn't have problems at all... my grandfather has a full head of hair at 70 years old. Hopefully I'll be lucky...

Does anyone have more ideas about this? Pwease?

cmnt831
January 23rd, 2010, 09:58 AM
It does make sense, but what confuses me is that I always had the same shedding rate since I started growing my hair, more or less, and I never had a decrease in ponytail circumference, or in general thickness... If I had something related to male patterns baldness already then I would have had to notice a decrease in overall thickness somehow right?

If the theories are right and MPB is herited from the boy's mother's dad (grandfather), then I shouldn't have problems at all... my grandfather has a full head of hair at 70 years old. Hopefully I'll be lucky...

Hopefully, it's just normal shedding then. When my husband started losing his hair to MPB, it was quite noticeable in the front. The "pattern" was definite in the front and not just an overall shedding of hair. Sometimes mineral deficiencies can cause hair loss, maybe your hair just likes the mineral zinc :confused:.

Vivien'
January 23rd, 2010, 10:08 AM
Well, a reasonable thing to do is, as you said, to go back to your old routine if there's no reason preventing from it. A nicer move would have been to change only one thing and see the effect. It could also be totally unrelated ! Who knows ? :)

Concerning your last point : It's a shame, but today, still nobody knows how MPB work exactly so... My two grandfathers are 70+ and they only begin to lose some hair, due to age. But my forehead is was "higher" than my father's or every other man's in my direct family. Who knows what'll happen ;)

Little_Bird
January 23rd, 2010, 03:06 PM
Thank's a lot everyone!

I kinda was expecting more hints, there were so many hits on the thread that it surprises me there are so few replies :S Maybe people just wanted to know how my shedding got reduced :lol:

Anyways, I'm going to keep using the same shampoo untill it ends. I think that it can't affect anything whatsoever for using just one bottle. Then I'm going to look for another one without sulphates and without the zinc sulfate. I really don't know where else to look tough, maybe in the same store where I buy my natural oil...

Well, if anyone else has some other opinions, please let me know about them :)

JamieLeigh
January 25th, 2010, 10:25 AM
Congrats on possibly solving your shedding problem! :D

On the sulphates question - I have no clue.... :(