PDA

View Full Version : Partial success of hair restoration and upkeep! Also: Advice pls

Horsetuna
January 22nd, 2010, 08:00 PM
I need to get a pic, but since joining this forum, I have switched from Mane and Tail to Herbal Essence Pin Straight with the occasional Restoration conditioner to help and relieve split ends and dry, stiff hairs.

Well, the split ends still seem aplenty sadly :( BUT, today while playing with my hair and flipping my tail over my head to my eyes, I noticed that it draped more - no more sticking up like a tuft of zebra hair, but actually limp and nice! Woo!

So partial success at least. I've been S&D the split ends but some of them I find are horrifying with multiple splits, areas where the hair has split MIDWAY and rejoins itself further down and severely BENT hairs like it was crimped! I dont know what to do about those but try and cut them out so they dont get worse.

I'm also pondering alternating between HE and other shampoos, since it seems too much of Cones/Protein/whatever else is bad, so common sense says I should alternate or cycle between these to ensure I dont get too much of anything.

What are your thoughts?

Oh yeah, OT: my parrot splashed around in the tub tonight with me, something he's rarely done before as he'll usually sit on the edge impatiently waiting for me to shower.

ETA: Oh yeah! I figured out how to use hairsticks! I still put in a scrunchie or tie first though until I get better at it. It also seems my hair doesnt like going into a Counter Clockwise bun or twist (which I was trying to do sometimes to avoid it holding the Clockwise twist when out of bun)

xoxophelia
January 23rd, 2010, 10:44 AM
I think people are having a hard time helping because we know nothing about your routine really, your hair length, or your hair type..

Maybe add some of those details?

Horsetuna
January 23rd, 2010, 11:57 AM
Sorry, heh. Its been a long day.

typical cleaning:

Shampoo hair twice, with mix of Pin Straight and the last of my Mane and Tail (I usually do Pin Straight from Herbal Essence last), then a long soak with a very large amount of Pin Straight conditioner, also from HE. I've left it in up to half an hour before rinsing it out, though I find ten to fifteen seems to work well, with gentle massages every now and then. I also lift up the tail of the hair and 'squeeze gently' so that the stuff about to drip out is back on the scalp, using it all as much as possible.

I repeat every 2 days or as needed.

I towel dry gently (patting), then give it a gentle twist and leave it in the towel until almost dry. I sometimes use Clairol kids' anti tangler if its very bad, and then comb it out carefully. I've stopped using my anti-split-hair gunk as it doesnt seem to help that much.

I leave it down all night, as the pony tail holder typically irritates my head when I sleep on it, although ID o pull the majority of the hair over one shoulder so that its laying relatively flat.

I leave it down when I dress to go out, pulling it so its over my collar, scarf and jacket (I think this is where most of the damage is being done, as my hat pushes it down and an inch further down the collar/scarf pushes it up. Currently working on a ponytail-toque).

At work, its in a pony tail twisted into a bun held with one or two wooden knitting needles 4 inches in length. I try to alternate going clockwise and counterclockwise so it doesnt 'remember' the twist, But as I mentioned it seems my hair hates going CCW.

Hair Length: Bra strap length

I have no clue how to tell my hair type to be honest. Never quite figured out how to tell without a to-scale comparison.

xoxophelia
January 23rd, 2010, 12:08 PM
Well, hmm.. if you used to heat style or was rougher on your hair, you will still be seeing the results of that.

If this is what you have been pretty much doing though most of the time, I have heard that some people with fine hair get split ends just from sleeping on it. You might consider a satin head cover of some sort while you sleep. Also, I don't know why you are washing twice per shower but it is probably not needed. If you get to the point where your hair is squeeking you have probably gone too far. If you put your shampoo on, and it foams a pretty decent amount (with surfacants) than that should be the one rinse you need.

Just keep on S&Ding and treating your hair more gently.. it will improve slowly over time :)

redwoman
January 23rd, 2010, 12:18 PM
Stop shampooing twice, go three days between washes if you can, s&d, oil, gentle detangling, and no heat styling, try air dry. Thats about all I can think of. HTH. :)

Horsetuna
January 23rd, 2010, 12:45 PM
The only heat that touches my hair is the water, which I've been reducing to 'nice and warm' instead of steaming like I used to take showers, on the theory that it will not dry my scalp out more.

Ok, one shampoo each wash, alternate between Pin Straight and the last of the MnT? I hate just tossing it out but there's only one or two washes' worth left in the bottle.

What do you think of my idea of 'rotating' which brands I use to avoid buildup of protein/cones/other?

I'll try to go three days, although is it still ok if I bathe every second day? My job has me lifting heavy things so I get pretty sweaty and icky. I can wet the hair but I wont put chemicals on it, just rinse it. That ok?

I'll see about a satin head cover, though it wont be till mid febuary at least. My only concern about the head cover is the hair 'remembering' the curled up shape and then not laying flat when I let it out in the moring. It even holds 'kinks' from 8 hour ponytail holders.

Roseate
January 23rd, 2010, 01:13 PM
I'll try to go three days, although is it still ok if I bathe every second day? My job has me lifting heavy things so I get pretty sweaty and icky. I can wet the hair but I wont put chemicals on it, just rinse it. That ok?

Anything's ok if your hair says so! Some people here wash every day, some once a week or less. It just depends on the individual scalp/hair/washing method/whatever. I usually bathe every day but only wash my hair once a week.

Have you tried CO or CWC? CWC is an easy way to use the products you have in a more gentle way, and many people swear by CO, though it doesn't work well for me personally. You can also dilute your shampoo with water and use this to wash; I like this method as it makes it easy to get to all parts of my scalp with much less shampoo.

Horsetuna
January 23rd, 2010, 01:31 PM
I'll look into diluting. With the amoutn of dirt and dust at work I think my hair needs the shampooing at least on occasion. I usually do use plenty of water to make sure the shampoo (and a little with the conditioner) get to the scalp and back of the head.

I also find that usually conditioners are SO THICK I can't get it out of the bottle, so the water thins it down (and makes it last longer. )

I'll cut down on the shampoo for now and water it a bit, as well as maybe cut down a wee bit on the conditioner. I use a LOT of conditioner to make sure every strand gets covered.

Thanks for the advice. I do love the 'limpnes's right now, I just want to tackle the Split Ends and make sure I dont OD my hair on any chemical.

What about the 'rotate brands' though? I haven't seen anyone touch on that.

Horsetuna
January 26th, 2010, 10:34 PM
So I went out on a limb without any responses about alternating the shampoos/conditioners and got some Garnie Long and Strong shampoo. I tried it tonight. My hair feels like it did when I started using Herbal Essense... flatter and smoother. So we'll see how it goes! If it seems to improve I'll probably try adding a third brand. Any reccomendatinos?

MotherConfessor
January 27th, 2010, 10:45 PM
If you need to wash a bit more often because of your job, you will want a very gentle, mild shampoo. Have you considered going sulfate free? I use Jason aloe shapoo and Aubrey organics honeysuckle rose, but those shampoos would add up really quickly if they were to be used every day (I can use them because I wash about once a week with diluted shampoo), but I know people around here have less expensive brands they use. Have you tried rinsing your hair every day instead of washing? You could still wash every other day, or at whatever interval your hair likes.

Horsetuna
January 28th, 2010, 10:02 AM
That's an idea I may try. Just hose it down kind of thing to get the worse of the dirt off.

Thanks!

Uh, but nobody's commented on my 'cycle shampoo brands to avoid cone/protein buildup' idea yet. Does ANYone know if this would help? I would wash as per normal, just change brands you know?

HairColoredHair
January 28th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Cycling brands could help, if your chosen brands are different enough (ie... rotating high-cone with high-cone or high-protein with high-protein won't help!)

halfbakedtulip
January 28th, 2010, 10:49 AM
I just wanted to quickly comment do NOT cut down on your conditioner. When hmm sorry I forgot...was telling you to water down your shampoo that is a good thing! But you don't need to be using less conditioner. Shampoo is hard on your hair and strips it.

ETA: Have you tried a cone free conditioner such as one of the cheapy VO5 or Suave naturals? Also mane and tail has protein in it...your hair may not like protein.

Horsetuna
January 28th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Well, so far the HE is doing ok for my hair, but I dont want to simply let it build up like I did with the MnT protien, does that make sense?

Is there a master list for what is heavy on what?