PDA

View Full Version : What are your thoughts?

LadyVictoria
January 22nd, 2010, 07:54 PM
If you read my last (and lengthy) post you know that my goal is to take better care of my hair from now on. Now in the winter months I can usually get away with washing my hair less, I have decided to go from shampooing 3 times a week to twice a week. My ends get so dry in between though (I never shampoo my length btw). So is it a good or bad idea to just condition my ends maybe every other day in between shampooing?

melikai
January 22nd, 2010, 08:47 PM
You could do that. Some other options would be to use a leave-in, or make a conditioning spray for the in-between days. You could also try CO (Conditioner Only) washing, if your hair is dry overall.

LadyVictoria
January 22nd, 2010, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the advice. What can I make the conditioning spray out of? My scalp is very oily, it's just my ends that are dry.

PorcelainHorror
January 23rd, 2010, 02:31 AM
My ends are dry too and I put EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) on them and it helps heaps.

rogue_psyche
January 23rd, 2010, 02:45 AM
I can get dry length and ends so I use my diluted conditioner in a spray bottle to re-moisturize between washes. It also gets rid of the braid waves if I happen to not be feeling them that day.

EDIT: If you are making a spray mix, it is best to use distilled water, or purified water at least. Tap water has all sorts of stuff that might undo the conditioning effects of the spray.

2peasinapod
January 23rd, 2010, 03:51 AM
I put coconut oil on my hair when it gets dry - it works wonders! Good luck with your hair goals! :)

Fayjoi
January 23rd, 2010, 04:25 AM
My ends are also dry and I usually use some leave-in conditioner, or I put some oil in it. What also helps for me that I always mist from the ears down in the morning, with filtered water and a bit of conditioner in it.

Saldana
January 23rd, 2010, 07:20 AM
I have the same issue......I wash twice a week, and I have to pamper my ends to keep them from getting too dry.

I use jojoba oil or coconut oil on the ends - I'll smooth it on when my hair is still damp, then use a little more through the week when necessary/when I think of it.

I also use a homemade mist on my hair. Here is how I make mine:

Two cups filtered water
1/3 vial of Hask Placenta Instant Hair Repair
5-6 drops of jojoba oil
a couple of drops of lavendar essential oil

Pour into a spray bottle and mist as desired! (You really can mist whenever = when I'm working, I take the spray bottle to work with me and mist easily 10 times a day)

LadyVictoria
January 23rd, 2010, 07:50 AM
Those are great tips, thank you all so much! Today is wash day for me, I plan on doing CWC then making some spray for when my ends get dry.

AstrayStar
January 23rd, 2010, 07:53 AM
I have been experimenting with using hair butters on the ends of my hair. Just a tiny bit works wonders! I got the recipes here somewhere. I first tried Kimberlily's coconut hair butter and am now experimenting with Fox's shea conditioning cream. I have altered the recipes a tiny bit to account for ingredients/EOs I have but I love both of them!

Ursula
January 23rd, 2010, 07:54 AM
You might also look up Shell's water scrunching technique. I think it was brought up on the "Wavy Women 3" thread. It works well for conditioning the length without wetting or washing you scalp at all.

ETA: link here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=3726&postcount=2

Wicked Princess
January 23rd, 2010, 09:38 AM
I'm another person chiming in and singing the praises of a little bit of your regular conditioner diluted in water in a spritz bottle and using it as needed. I use it every couple days without getting my hair wet from the shower. :D

During the winter, when it's really dry, though, I like to use a slightly heavier oil on the last inch of my hair. Not a lot...just enough to coat the strands with some extra protection.

klcqtee
January 23rd, 2010, 10:49 AM
You may consider do a CWC (condition wash condition) to help protect your ends from shampoo run off. Even though you don't shampoo the length, it probably still slides down as you rinse.

starlights
January 23rd, 2010, 08:51 PM
massaging oil onto the ends always help me as i have dry ends in the winter too!