PDA

View Full Version : Folly Good Jell-O

Ruhland
January 22nd, 2010, 12:46 PM
How many of you have been scammed into a really expensive hair growing shampoo? I'm sure the raised hands are overwhelming. I once spent a total of $60 on a shampoo and conditioner pair... called "Fast."

I was convinced it was working, only because I had spent so much money on it I refused to believe elsewise. Four months later I had to face the truth and found the shampoo/conditioner was another fluke. :confused:

So, I've woken up from my fantasy that a shampoo is going to make my hair grow faster, but have you ever heard about Jell-O making your hair grow faster? Apparently, and this is just what I've heard, the gelatin will make your hair grow faster. Have you heard any different? Also, what do you think of prenatals? And are they safe for a guy to take? lol oh dear :rolleyes:

DragonLady
January 22nd, 2010, 01:21 PM
I've been taking gelatin everyday for almost two years. I don't think it makes my hair grow faster, and it doesn't make it any stronger, but I have noticed increased thickness of individual hair strands.

You can read my blog post about it here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=45329

Madame J
January 22nd, 2010, 01:21 PM
There is an article about supplements for hair growth here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=74). And there are threads about using gelatin for hair growth. I also think that DragonLady has posted either an article or a blog about it. Yeah, here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=45329) it is.

Generally, most commercial, branded products that claim that they are the only brand to make hair grow are bunk. But supplements can work for some people. Also, check out the articles section because there is an article about massages with herbal oils for hair growth, too.

ETA: Whoops, I'm too slow :p

ravenreed
January 22nd, 2010, 05:06 PM
I don't think prenatal vitamins are safe for anyone other than a pregnant woman or nursing mother. They have high levels of iron. Iron in excessive amounts can damage your organs.

I would be very cautious, especially since you are male. The reason I say this is hemochromotosis runs in my family. It is a build up of iron in the body and generally is found in males a lot earlier since they don't have menstrual cycles to siphon off the excess iron.

ravenreed
January 22nd, 2010, 05:08 PM
Oh, also, I tried by gelatin supplements and kelp supplements. They were for nail problems, but I never noticed an improvement to hair or nails. (I am still searching for my flimsy nail solution, but that is another thread.) Some people report a difference, however. There is only one way to see if it will work for you.

redneckprincess
January 23rd, 2010, 05:16 PM
to EAT it maybe..I take gelatin pills daily, but I also take Biotin and MSM...I hair went from a growth rate of less then 1/8" a month to anywhere between 1/2 & 1 full inch a month

manderly
January 23rd, 2010, 05:25 PM
Try ensure high protein :) Makes a nice meal supplement and gets you all sorts of good vitamins and minerals we may be lacking. Can't say that it does anything for growth because I don't look at my hair growing as a science. It's hair, it grows, that's what it does :D

Gvnagitlvgei
January 23rd, 2010, 08:45 PM
The gelatin they're probably talking about is the one made of proteins, not pectin. It's high in amino acids and that can contribute to faster hair growth in some people. Probably Knox gelatin would be a good product to use.