PDA

View Full Version : In praise of cold water washes!

saskia_madding
January 22nd, 2010, 12:27 PM
I have to admit that I was a total skeptic. I love long, hot showers, so washing my hair in hot water seemed like a logical extension of that. But I lose A LOT of hair in the shower; last three times I counted, I lost 86/79/92.

Today I had just done a step class at the gym and I was still boiling hot from exertion. I decided to have a cool shower, and so I washed my hair in the cool water also.

I lost 17 hairs. 17!!!!! That is a huge difference. I lost about 1/2" circumference recently when I went off sulfates and before I started using borax as a shampoo, so I'm trying to get that thickness back. I am totally, 100% sticking with cool water washes.

For all other hot shower loving skeptics, give it a try!

girlcat36
January 22nd, 2010, 12:51 PM
I was wondering about this. It seems as though when the water hits my scalp, my hairs just fall out.
I lost 112/143/77, then a few days later a shocking 243. Yes, I count. I have to my hair just gets thinner and thinner, and I don't know why(well I have a few ideas).
For a while I thought it was the chlorine in the water, so I got a filter, but it didn't help.
Then I started thinking that perhaps it was the hot water, so I went to warm and the shedding did lessen(to under 100 per wash), but maybe I'll try cold if it can reduce my shedding even more. Brrrrrrr.....

elina333
January 22nd, 2010, 12:54 PM
Really? I thought it was the other way around... That cold would make your hair fall out? Due to the resticted blood flow? Hmm... Maybe not then. Im losing a lot of hair in the shower as well, but I figured that because I never brush it and the only way the hairs can fall out is in the shower. Have to try this! :D

Angela_Rose
January 22nd, 2010, 01:11 PM
I take hot-hot-hot showers but don't put my hair under the heat. When it comes time to wash my hair, it's cool water to wet it down and then cold water to rinse it out. Cold-rinsing improves shine, too.

cmnt831
January 22nd, 2010, 01:12 PM
Maybe the cold water helps to close the hair follicle (?) and the warmer water relaxes it, letting the hair slip out? I'm just guessing here :p. I know nothing about the physics of hair follicles.

saskia_madding
January 22nd, 2010, 01:31 PM
That was exactly my guess too, actually. That warm water opens up skin pores is definitely true. So I just sort of rationalized that the warm waters loosens up the follicles and then when I brush my hair it is more likely to come out.

I don't know what it is, but it's working. I'll post again next time I have a shower to see if there is still a difference or if it was a total fluke. :)

Angela_Rose
January 22nd, 2010, 01:32 PM
/mini-hijack/ GirlCat, your new siggy photo is gorgeous! It looks like you're thickening up!

/end mini-hijack/

Dreams_in_Pink
January 22nd, 2010, 01:37 PM
i started to wash with cold water too, and it helped with frizz and dandruff.It's also very relaxing to feel cold running through your roots :) I don't have an idea about shedding though.

camirra555
January 22nd, 2010, 01:38 PM
I want to try these cold rinses, I really do but I just can't bring myself to do it. I might try in the summer when its really hot outside. After reading this thread, I think I'll try warm rinses for a while.

Tangles
January 22nd, 2010, 01:47 PM
I'm not surprised; beauty usually involves some degree of discomfort. :laugh:

jivete
January 22nd, 2010, 02:36 PM
Cool water washes keep my hair from being a big frizz ball. I barely lose any hair in the shower, but I think that's more from quitting sulfates.

Xandergrammy
January 22nd, 2010, 02:41 PM
I'm getting chilly just reading this thread!! I might just have to bite the bullet and try this though for the shine and frizz reduction.

chaoticwaves
January 22nd, 2010, 02:44 PM
I enjoy the cold water rinses as well for hair and body. I don't shed much in the shower, but when I went through the Big Shed I did! It is invigorating, even if you just do it for a minute or so.

FrannyG
January 22nd, 2010, 02:48 PM
I'm getting chilly just reading this thread!! I might just have to bite the bullet and try this though for the shine and frizz reduction.

I'm with you, hon. I'm shivering just thinking about it. Maybe if I can just get my head only under the cold water? It's a pretty tough bullet for me to bite. shudder:

tralalalara
January 22nd, 2010, 02:49 PM
I don't know if this would be the same, but using hot water for watercolor painting produces different results because it changes the drying time, so maybe it could be the same for hair and sheen?

I know that using very hot water WILL dry out hair, so I've been showering lukewarm for a long time, and have recently begun rinsing out my conditioner in cold.
I just need to get my body warmed up before I shower so I don't accidentally make it too hot

Forever_Sophie
January 22nd, 2010, 02:51 PM
I'm getting chilly just reading this thread!!

Same! LOL I can definitely see how this could happen, and wish I were brave enough to try...Guess I'll just stick to my cold water final rinses. Getting into cool showers when it's -15 out - pass ;)

Merkaba
January 22nd, 2010, 02:51 PM
I use warm water to wash, then rinse with very cool water after shampoo and then again after conditioner. I have a detachable shower head, so when I switch to cool I put it in the shower head. The I lean back as far as possible and rinse hair. I stay like that for a few secs and then gently squeeze out the excess water so that it won't hit my body.

I hate showering in cold water, but it give my hair shine and I heard using cold water after shampooing will cut down on greasy hair and possibly dandruff. I've only tried it twice, so I'm not yet sure if there is a difference.

sumptuousness
January 22nd, 2010, 02:58 PM
I'm in the habit of keeping hairwashing and showering separate for this very reason! I wash my hair upside down over the bath; that way I can have the water as cold as I like without risk of hypothermia :lol:

Ash
January 22nd, 2010, 03:21 PM
I wish I could wash my hair in cold water. :( If I don't use decently hot water to wash and rinse out product, my scalp is greasy and itchy and my hair seems very sticky and I can't get a comb through it afterwards. I am able to use cold distilled water as a final rinse as long as hot water is used to get out everything first.

Sweetness
January 22nd, 2010, 03:23 PM
I'm in the habit of keeping hairwashing and showering separate for this very reason! I wash my hair upside down over the bath; that way I can have the water as cold as I like without risk of hypothermia :lol:

That's my way too ! No way I'm going to pour the whole cold water over my whole body, brrrr !!

saskia_madding
January 22nd, 2010, 03:32 PM
I should clarify guys - I didn't wash in *cold*, I washed in *cool*. It was more like lukewarm water, a tiny bit warmer than straight in the middle of the red and blue on the faucet.

I don't think I could go cold either, but thankfully cool seemed to do the trick. :)

It didn't seem to help with frizz though; in fact, my hair is frizzier today than normal, but who cares? Frizz I can tame with camellia oil. Having 100+ hairs fall out during my showers isn't as easily coped with.

FrannyG
January 22nd, 2010, 05:01 PM
I should clarify guys - I didn't wash in *cold*, I washed in *cool*. It was more like lukewarm water, a tiny bit warmer than straight in the middle of the red and blue on the faucet.

I don't think I could go cold either, but thankfully cool seemed to do the trick. :)

It didn't seem to help with frizz though; in fact, my hair is frizzier today than normal, but who cares? Frizz I can tame with camellia oil. Having 100+ hairs fall out during my showers isn't as easily coped with.

Okay, I'm with you now. :thumbsup: I too use "cool" water on my hair, by your definition. I was thinking that you were a pretty tough cookie! :)

akilina
January 22nd, 2010, 05:05 PM
Good idea. I know that when I wash with cold water for some reason my hair just feels a little nicer. Looks nicer too. I think tonight when i wash i will use cold water

Spring
January 22nd, 2010, 05:14 PM
Okay, I'm with you now. :thumbsup: I too use "cool" water on my hair, by your definition. I was thinking that you were a pretty tough cookie! :)

Lol... I was thinking she was pretty brave to endure that.. Cool water sounds less traumatic :D

Update 3/02/10: I love cool water rinses and I've even turned down the water temp for my washes. Thanks for the idea :)

rogue_psyche
January 22nd, 2010, 05:38 PM

This is the water temperature I wash in, but I rinse conditioner with water 3/4 of the way to all cold water, and do a final rinse with the coldest water that comes out of the shower head. I arch my back and use a handheld shower head and so my body doesn't get much cold water on it. As soon as I'm done the water temperature goes back up though! It's far more enjoyable in the summer, but I get much less shedding, and my hair is softer and shinier than with hot water. I catch around twelve hairs each shower, but I'm sure a few more more slip right down the drain unnoticed.

windinherhair
January 22nd, 2010, 05:38 PM
I never really thought about how many hairs I was losing, but I know the cold water showers seem to make my hair feel softer and not as dry. It is easier for me to take cold showers now living in a warmer climate. I was always a hot shower person before...which was nice when the weather outside was so cold and our apartment wasn't the warmest. I hope I can continue cooler showers when we move back to cold temperatures again.

MotherConfessor
January 22nd, 2010, 07:00 PM
Sigh, I keep trying to do this, but I hate the cold! I also hate frizz and hair damage so I think I'm going to bite the bullet and give it a shot. But I will be wearing a poncho in the shower to do it!! Yup, that will be sexy. :cool::cool:

I bet you think I'm kidding...

whiteisle
January 22nd, 2010, 08:24 PM
Sigh, I keep trying to do this, but I hate the cold! I also hate frizz and hair damage so I think I'm going to bite the bullet and give it a shot. But I will be wearing a poncho in the shower to do it!! Yup, that will be sexy. :cool::cool:

I bet you think I'm kidding...

:rollin:Too funny!

contradiction
January 22nd, 2010, 08:26 PM
I wash my hair in warm water but rinse in cold. It makes a huge difference. My hair is shinier and softer, and I lose less hair too. It feels really nice on my scalp too.
My hair is probably 10000 times more damaged than anyones here (years of bleach and straightening) so if it worked for me it'll work for you. My hair is also much less frizzy.

Pear Martini
January 22nd, 2010, 08:40 PM
I love what cool rinses do to my hair. I cant help but wonder if the colder the water the better the results?

Fethenwen
January 23rd, 2010, 01:14 AM
Me too! I actually have never figured out how to wash it while I stand, it's hard for me to get my fingers to my scalp and all that. Washing my whole body with cold water is very uncomfortable :eek:
Actually it would be kind of healthy, I've done it a few times, it's great for the blood circulation. But I would not do that every time I shower.
I really don't like pouring hot water on my hair, I can almost hear my hair scream! :p It gets a tangly and porous feeling if I have gotten hot water over it.

I love what cool rinses do to my hair. I cant help but wonder if the colder the water the better the results?
Me too, but somehow I think too cold water might be a bit drying for hair. Like ice cold can't be that good.

saskia_madding
January 23rd, 2010, 05:23 AM
Well, I'm hoping to work my way up to colder washes, but since this was my first go I decided not to dive straight into a frigid hair washing. I'm a weanie! :D But I'll get there someday! Until then, the cool will have to suffice.

starlights
January 24th, 2010, 09:23 AM
i have to give this cool water a try... altho i notice washing hair in hot water i lose more hair...

Tovah
January 24th, 2010, 09:42 AM

I'm going to try that! My tub has a spray attachment as well as the regular faucet. I've tried cold water in the shower and didn't last more than a second or two. brrrrrr............!

Do you find that you have more tangles when you wash your hair upside down like that?

JamieLeigh
January 25th, 2010, 09:40 AM
I'm also a tepid/cool water hair washer. I didn't start it due to shedding issues, though, I learned a LONG time ago that my hair is frizz city when heat touches it in any way. I wear a shower cap when I'm showering without washing my hair, and the exposed hairs around the nape kink up like crazy afterward!! :(

girlcat36
January 26th, 2010, 03:38 PM
/mini-hijack/ GirlCat, your new siggy photo is gorgeous! It looks like you're thickening up!

/end mini-hijack/

Thank you!

bumblebums
January 26th, 2010, 04:43 PM
I try to use only cold water on my hair.

Sometimes, if it is a cold day, I don't feel like dousing myself in cold water, so I wash my hair in a standing backbend. (here's a schematic pic with instructions on how to do it http://www.iyogalife.com/beginner/Standing_Backbend.shtml). I wouldn't recommend this if you have an inflexible back or bad balance, but it'll make a world of difference in how willing you are to use cold water on your head.

katydid317
January 26th, 2010, 07:29 PM
I'm going to try the cold water wash tonight...I normally have lukewarm showers no matter the season so I think I can hack it being cooler. That and I can do a decent standing backbend just in case:)

cmnt831
January 27th, 2010, 06:31 AM
I try to use only cold water on my hair.

Sometimes, if it is a cold day, I don't feel like dousing myself in cold water, so I wash my hair in a standing backbend. (here's a schematic pic with instructions on how to do it http://www.iyogalife.com/beginner/Standing_Backbend.shtml). I wouldn't recommend this if you have an inflexible back or bad balance, but it'll make a world of difference in how willing you are to use cold water on your head.

Cool, I didn't realize I could incorporate yoga into my shower routine, as well :).

hennaphile
January 27th, 2010, 07:02 AM
I'm a huge fan.

Monsterkitti
January 27th, 2010, 08:18 AM
I occasionally try to use cooler water but Im a bit of a wimp and usually go back to hot / warm. Must try it for a while though as I shed heaps