PDA

View Full Version : is having a hair toy that helps you do all sorts of gorgeous buns cheating?

juliaxena
January 22nd, 2010, 11:20 AM
Lol I'm wondering about that because you guys know how to do gorgeous buns with your own hands and knowledge and my next hair toy will help me do all that much easier. I never was very good at updos. Will I still be one of you? Lol but I am excited about it and future hair growth.

Gumball
January 22nd, 2010, 11:27 AM
Buns are buns. They are the end. The means to that end is up to you! If you have trouble doing it manually yet can find an easier way with a tool then go for it! Case in point whenever I've worn a Victorian I use my Topsy Tail. It makes flipping the ponytail tons easier.

Isilme
January 22nd, 2010, 11:28 AM
I don't think there is such a thing that makes updos for you unfortunately. A ficcare holds huge amounts of hair and so does a flexi 8 (depending on size)
I have also heard of a hairigami that you could twist in some different ways to make it hold the hair.
Also, keep in mind that your hair is relatively short (if that's still your length in your signature picture) so at this length a bun might be hard to do. But I think you could manage a peacock twist though.
http://www.frannyslonghairstyles.com/updos.htm
I'm quite sure Franny is a member of this site and you could probably manage several of her updos, good luck!

marikamt
January 22nd, 2010, 11:32 AM
Lol I'm wondering about that because you guys know how to do gorgeous buns with your own hands and knowledge and my next hair toy will help me do all that much easier. I never was very good at updos. Will I still be one of you? Lol but I am excited about it and future hair growth.

If you have found a toy that does this, can you share what it is??? I am also VERY updo challenged...... I would get one!

juliaxena
January 22nd, 2010, 11:34 AM
It is a hairagami actually. I know I will have to wait for my hair to grow a bit but it will happen. My friend has it. It shocked me how well she can do those updos now.

plainjanegirl
January 22nd, 2010, 11:36 AM
Hairagamis are very nice! I was sad when my hair outgrew mine.

spidermom
January 22nd, 2010, 11:37 AM
Cheating? On what or whom? I know not what you mean.

enfys
January 22nd, 2010, 11:39 AM
It's no more cheating than using a hairstick to hold a bun together, in my opinion.

Plainjanegirl, at what length did you outgrow yours? I don't quite understand how they work to know what length they work until!

Xandergrammy
January 22nd, 2010, 11:40 AM
Nope. It's not cheating.

Angela_Rose
January 22nd, 2010, 11:45 AM
http://www.frannyslonghairstyles.com/updos.htm
I'm quite sure Franny is a member of this site and you could probably manage several of her updos, good luck!

She is- FrannyG is her username.

Angela_Rose
January 22nd, 2010, 11:48 AM
And- nope. Not cheating! Most of us use some variation of hairtoy or another. Example- even though my bun doesn't actually need a pin/stick/toy/magical gremlin to stay intact and practically riveted to my head, today I am wearing an aluminum gigantic pin that anchors the whole thing.

Akiko
January 22nd, 2010, 11:53 AM
LoL. I had trouble understanding the title. English challenged. So would that be cheating if your hairtoy helps you do all sorts of gorgeous buns? No. Not at all.

Spike
January 22nd, 2010, 12:04 PM
No such thing as cheating when making an updo.

This question made me think of all the things they do to models to make the pretty pictures in the magazines--not just the hair taped to the cardboard stand behind the model, the people who carry her to the posing stage (because she can't WALK in those jeans that fit like that) and then the photoshopping/airbrushing etc.

But the point is to get THE BEST PICTURE POSSIBLE, and all that are just tools to get that shot.

So the same thing applies here--if the hairtoy makes it possible to get a great updo done, then power to ya! Use the tool to get the result.

juliaxena
January 22nd, 2010, 12:18 PM
It is good to hear you aren't against it lol.

Carolyn
January 22nd, 2010, 12:22 PM
Hey you do what you gotta do whether it might be cheating or not. Does it matter if it is? Not to me :gabigrin: If you can find such a hairtoy, go for it.

FrannyG
January 22nd, 2010, 01:48 PM
Juliaxena, we're pretty much hair twins! In any case, lots of people here do sock buns regularly, and I don't think anyone has accused them of cheating. It's a very popular style. There's no such thing as cheating when it comes to hairstyles. The important thing is to have fun with your hair and enjoy how it looks. And your hair is really looking gorgeous. :cloud9:

I'm very excited for you, because you've got so many styles to look forward to in the coming months. I'll bet you could pretty much pull off a French Twist already!

Thank you for the kind mention, Isilme and Angela_Rose. :flowers:

manderly
January 22nd, 2010, 02:02 PM
I had one for years, I was never a huge fan of it, it made weird looking buns to me, kind of like curly sock buns or something. But no, it's not cheating, it's merely another hairtoy/accessory.

I've actually been meaning to get my hands on a hairdini (http://www.hairdini.com/Our_Products.html)(lol all the names!). It creates the same style the hairigami does, but then it does a lot more (I like the french twist it helps with, and I'm wondering if I can get a gibson tuck out of it).

The hairigami is more limited because it only forms one shape really. It's like those slap bracelets. Remember those? They were hard plastic things that you slap on your wrist and they'd collapse on themselves and roll into a circle. Exact same thing. :)

Angela_Rose
January 22nd, 2010, 03:53 PM
You're welcome, FrannyG!! It's good to see you back around.

MotherConfessor
January 22nd, 2010, 09:21 PM
Does the style stay up? Look good? That's all that matters. There's no such thing as cheating since the end result is the object.