PDA

View Full Version : I finally got brave enough...

ohiofritty
January 22nd, 2010, 06:56 AM
...and explained to my DH that I needed him to take a picture of my hair because I've become a regular poster (or at least lurker if I'm not posting) on the long hair community forums and that I've decided to see how long my hair will grow!

I was worried he was going to think I was exceedingly silly.

But instead he thought it was a neat idea and said he'd be happy to take as many pictures of the back of my head as I'd like. So I finally have an avatar that shows my hair yay!

Also I have to say, I have a lot of respect for you ladies and men that take good pictures using a camera and mirror. I tried that last night and failed utterly. I ended up getting the picture framed alright, but I couldn't keep my hand from shaking the tiniest bit so the picture was always blurry.

Now over the next few weeks I get to try out all the things I keep reading about here until eventually the DH really will think I've lost it...

Also, my hair was longer that I thought it was, I think its more flip length than chin?

WyrdWay
January 22nd, 2010, 07:14 AM
That's a great picture, he did a good job. And its awesome that he was supportive!
Did you try a camera with a timer? I have to sit the camera in the medicine cabinet and set the timer to ten seconds :D

SHELIAANN1969
January 22nd, 2010, 07:14 AM
I can't take pics of my own head either, I am not that good of a contortionist! ;)

Your pic looks good, your hair is shiny! Welcome to your new obsession, lol. :blossom:

ETA: I'm across the river from you in WV, howdy neighbor!

LaurelSpring
January 22nd, 2010, 07:17 AM
I pretty much failed miserably at taking it myself also. I had to get someone else to take it. Yours looks great and it so nice that your husband is supportive.

Isa-belle
January 22nd, 2010, 07:21 AM
Your hair looks great! Lovely of your husband to understand and support you in this :)
Wishing you a happy growth, and welcome to LHC :flower:

ohiofritty
January 22nd, 2010, 07:29 AM
Hello SHELIAANN1969 over in WV! :D

And thank you all for your kind comments (these forums really are so nice!).

Now that I'm looking at my pic here at work (shhh) it does look kinda dark, and I swear my hair is a lighter brown than that.

About the shinies, I cheated and BBB'ed it before the picture, its usually not quite that smooth.

WyrdWay - our camera does have a timer, but there wasn't really anywhere to set it down that would work with our bathroom mirror. I was really proud of my framing though, I had the camera pointing back at the mirror and was able to get it set up just so because I was holding a handheld mirror in my other hand to look at the lcd screen on the back of the camera. Man... that was confusing for my brain. If only I could have held my camera-holding hand still!

FrannyG
January 22nd, 2010, 08:13 AM
Your avatar looks lovely. :flower: I know exactly how silly you can feel asking someone to take a photo of the back of your head, but once you've done it, you won't feel silly again.

I never use the mirror, by the way. I just find a shelf or a cupboard in the house that's the right height and use a timer, when I'm taking style photos. Sometimes it takes a few tries to get the framing right.

I still like to have a brusher/photographer for length shots though.

ohiofritty
January 22nd, 2010, 08:20 AM
I never use the mirror, by the way. I just find a shelf or a cupboard in the house that's the right height and use a timer, when I'm taking style photos. Sometimes it takes a few tries to get the framing right.

Oh my god...why did I think I had to do the timer'ed photos in a mirror?
I'm going to go hide now.

(looking for a :blush: smiley I came across :mrt: hahahaha, thats great!)

neon-dream
January 22nd, 2010, 08:24 AM
Congratulations on getting the courage to ask your husband!! My sister usually takes mine, but since I moves away to university, I haven't taken any. But, I plan on finding a shelf somewhere and taking some with my timer :D
Beautiful hair, by the way :flowers:

FrannyG
January 22nd, 2010, 08:24 AM
Oh my god...why did I think I had to do the timer'ed photos in a mirror?
I'm going to go hide now.

(looking for a :blush: smiley I came across :mrt: hahahaha, thats great!)

Well you thought that because clearly, so many people here do use the bathroom mirror. Nothing :mrt: about that! :)

Rentlle
January 22nd, 2010, 08:51 AM
oooh! so great to hear your husband was taking it serious! And even better to hear he was enthusiastic :D Really great :)
I do it with a timer on my camera: me too, i have a lot of respect for all the ladies who can take pictures of their hair with a mirror :p

Ravenwaves 88
January 22nd, 2010, 09:02 AM
That's a great picture, he did a good job. And its awesome that he was supportive!
Did you try a camera with a timer? I have to sit the camera in the medicine cabinet and set the timer to ten seconds :D

Oh my goodness what a great idea! I never even thought of that. Here I am using my daughter's tiny table sitting indian style on the floor and getting terrible results. I ended up asking my DH to do it, but he always pokes fun at me about it so thank you for giving me another option to try out.

Merewen
January 22nd, 2010, 09:16 AM
Lovely pic!

The other thing that works for in-the-mirror photos is to use a hand-held mirror to see the image in the little screen on the camera. Sadly enough, I just figured this out yesterday.