PDA

View Full Version : Red Hair and Cool Coloring

UP Lisa
January 22nd, 2010, 05:59 AM
I there anyone on here with Cool coloring that has successfully worn red hair? I mean the natural-looking reds, not the burgundies or plums.

Medievalmaniac
January 22nd, 2010, 07:27 AM
Me:

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x45/simonebeauvoir2/newhair.jpg

The best shade for a cool tone who wants to go red appears to be this medium auburn. It looked really natural, and I LOVED it...but, the upkeep is really tough, because red fades so fast (I'm still seriously contemplating henna) and also, you have to wear lipstick all the time because otherwise your face is washed out. But I LOVE the red hair, and this shade was perfect for my cool tones. I'm naturally an ash blond that darkened to a medium ash brown when I got older.

UP Lisa
January 22nd, 2010, 08:40 AM
Thank you. I have enough red in my face that I can't imagine it ever looking washed out. My hair was a very light blonde as a child, and is still a dark, golden blond. I think anything orangey would look bad on me. I've never thought I could wear an orange shirt, for instance.

That color does look great on you.

neon-dream
January 22nd, 2010, 08:43 AM
What do you mean by cool colouring? I've not heard that before. :)

Sylvanas
January 22nd, 2010, 08:57 AM
I was quite happy with this auburn colour :)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4239&pictureid=54438

UP Lisa
January 22nd, 2010, 09:20 AM
That looks great on you. I have more red in my face, however. Your skin tone is classified either as Warm or Cool depending on skin color, eye color, and hair color.

Harriet
January 22nd, 2010, 11:15 AM
I believe I'm cool toned, and my hair is naturally red. I think it works together!

UP Lisa
January 22nd, 2010, 11:32 AM
That is interesting, since I have read that all natural redheads have warm coloring.

Sylvanas
January 22nd, 2010, 11:50 AM
That looks great on you. I have more red in my face, however. Your skin tone is classified either as Warm or Cool depending on skin color, eye color, and hair color.

Just thought I should mention that I have mild rosacea, so my face is quite red underneath the layer of makeup :p Also, the camera I have gives everything a slightly warmer tint, regardless of what setting it's on, so my skintone looks a lot more cool in real life. If you're interested I have found that mineral foundation and/or concealers are great for covering redness. It also looks very natural, so you can just dust some on the trouble areas or your whole face and look like you're not even wearing make-up :)

UP Lisa
January 22nd, 2010, 12:14 PM
Thank you. Actually, I just bought a green correcting face powder that seems to work well. Don't know why I never tried it before.....

UP Lisa
January 22nd, 2010, 12:18 PM
medievalmaniac,

It really does look like you have Cool coloring. Unless it's just that photo.

And that color looks fine on you.

Lady Danger
January 22nd, 2010, 12:21 PM
Yes, I now have red hair with cool coloring, and it works. I am not willing to post pics of my face due to having been stalked in the past, but I have extremely pale, cool-toned skin that is prone to redness and flushing. I had dirty/ash blonde natural hair which was also cool-toned. I did henna in November and I am in love with how it makes my face and skin look. I don't look half as dull and dead as I normally did, and it actually toned down the redness in my face. My mother and grandmother (who are very nitpicky and brutally honest) both commented on it when I went to visit at Christmas.

People also think my red hair is natural - it is not burgundy, etc. - it's like a bright-to-medium auburn.

UP Lisa
January 22nd, 2010, 12:49 PM
I would be afraid it would do anything BUT tone down the redness. So scary to try it.

Kiraela
January 22nd, 2010, 02:51 PM
The best thing I could suggest is to maybe purchase, or at least try on, a wig in the color you're hoping to achieve. That will tell you how it ought to look. Of course, with henna it's a little more difficult, since from what I can tell you can never tell exactly what it's going to look like, but at the least, you can get a good guess. :)

myrrhmaiden
January 22nd, 2010, 02:57 PM
I have cool coloring and bright coppery hair. Orange clothes never looked anything but awful on me. Feel free to check my albums and ponder.

lexiflowers
January 22nd, 2010, 03:01 PM
What exactly qualifies someone as having "cool colouring"? As in, what eye colours and skin tones are "cool"? I'm not familiar with the terminology.

Sylvanas
January 22nd, 2010, 03:44 PM
http://www.ehow.com/how_2126120_determine-skin-tone.html

This link has the basic information on it.

Siava
January 22nd, 2010, 04:26 PM
The best thing I could suggest is to maybe purchase, or at least try on, a wig in the color you're hoping to achieve. That will tell you how it ought to look. Of course, with henna it's a little more difficult, since from what I can tell you can never tell exactly what it's going to look like, but at the least, you can get a good guess. :)

This. If you're in doubt, you can stop at a wig boutique. Wigs are free to try on. You can take a picture if you have to, inside the store under the lights and outside in natural sun if the clerk will let you. Then you can study them carefully to make sure you're making the right decision for coloring.

Medievalmaniac
January 22nd, 2010, 04:29 PM
I have a lot of redness also, under the makeup. I'm of Irish and Germanic descent, so I do get quite red in the face on occasion So far I have not had a problem with this clashing with my hair, though, knock on wood! lol But my natural skin tone is fair to light, and my natural hair is an ash tone, so I am naturally a cool, and the auburn didn't change that, I don't think. :)

girloctopus
January 22nd, 2010, 04:32 PM
http://www.ehow.com/how_2126120_determine-skin-tone.html

This link has the basic information on it.

That confuses me so much! I have both green and blue veins, I can wear either silver or gold, and I can wear pretty much any color. The only thing I can determine is that my skin looks much more yellow when compared with almost everyone else's. Haha this is one reason I never wear makeup!

Sylvanas
January 22nd, 2010, 05:29 PM
That confuses me so much! I have both green and blue veins, I can wear either silver or gold, and I can wear pretty much any color. The only thing I can determine is that my skin looks much more yellow when compared with almost everyone else's. Haha this is one reason I never wear makeup!

Lol, I know the feeling! I have one green, one blue and one reddish purple vein on my wrist. Since you can wear pretty much any colour, and look good in both silver and gold, it's very likely you're a neutral :)

MandyBeth
January 22nd, 2010, 05:47 PM
I'm a cool - yellow and orange are bad colors on me, I only wear silver, I don't tan in the least and despite how fair I am, I can wear black hair easily. My eyes are split between warm and cool - thanks to the complete, partial and sectoral heterochromia going on.

I went henna red - from light mouse brown - and I get questions still daily on why on earth was I dyeing my hair to the mouse brown from this pretty red?

kmoc123
January 23rd, 2010, 09:57 AM
Oh I love all the red hair!!! My oldest daughter has bright red hair (natural), and I wish mine could be that color. I have auburn-ish (with silver strands) and I colored the underside black... it sure makes an interesting braid....lots of colors! Love the RED!!!!

UP Lisa
February 9th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Well, I tried on a dark Auburn wig, and it didn't look as bad as I thought it would. My kids didn't think it looked bad, either. Still have to ask the husband. Also need to try it on in natural light. I think something a little lighter might be better, but the color goes well with my eyes and eyebrows.

Thank you all for the input.