PDA

View Full Version : ketchup on hair

jennyjukes
January 22nd, 2010, 05:46 AM
my natural hair colour is dark blonde and i recently dyed it from a light blonde back to dark blonde (although it looks brown in some lights, i guess i'm just not used to it after seeing so many platinum blondes) so i could grow it out
i went to the swimming pool yesterday, i put conditioner in my hair beforehand and shampoo'd + conditioned afterwards. however, it STILL went a green/khaki colour!
my mum told me to put ketchup in my hair for 20 minutes and i did, not only did it take out the green colour it also made my hair look more vibrant and shiny!

if i was to do this weekly or so would it be damaging to my hair? it felt really conditioned afterwards. any tips on how to go about doing it i.e deep conditioning and using it as a rinse? let me know thanks :)

Zaane
January 22nd, 2010, 06:30 AM
how does it feel on the hair?? was it smelly? lol

bumblebums
January 22nd, 2010, 06:49 AM
Hmm, I've never done this (sorry, but I kind of dislike American ketchup and won't even put it in my mouth, let alone on my hair). But the individual ingredients in ketchup (tomato, vinegar, sugar) are all okay to put on hair. I would test its pH with a litmus paper to make sure it's not too acidic, but otherwise, why not!

jennyjukes
January 22nd, 2010, 06:53 AM
how does it feel on the hair?? was it smelly? lol
well i put it into damp hair and suprisingly enough when i washed (i shampoo and conditioned before, not after) it came out easily and didn't smell at all .. only when it was in my hair. :p although it made my tangles worse, just put on some leave-in conditioner

Hmm, I've never done this (sorry, but I kind of dislike American ketchup and won't even put it in my mouth, let alone on my hair). But the individual ingredients in ketchup (tomato, vinegar, sugar) are all okay to put on hair. I would test its pH with a litmus paper to make sure it's not too acidic, but otherwise, why not!
just american ketchup? im not actually from america, are there any difference from the ones in the uk? lol. i tested a little on my hair first and it was fine so put it all on:) so if it has vinegar etc maybe i should just use once a week or every two weeks? i'll probably just have to wait until my next shampoo see if it looks less vibrant by then

bumblebums
January 22nd, 2010, 08:47 AM
just american ketchup? im not actually from america, are there any difference from the ones in the uk? lol. i tested a little on my hair first and it was fine so put it all on:) so if it has vinegar etc maybe i should just use once a week or every two weeks? i'll probably just have to wait until my next shampoo see if it looks less vibrant by then

Yeah--specifically, Heinz-style ketchup. They might mix it up differently outside the US, but in the US, I can't deal with it because I find it unbearably sugary.

Vinegar won't hurt your hair, provided it's at a reasonable acidity. That's why I'd say get some pH-strips and test it (and then tell us what the result is!)--they sell them for cheap in pet stores that sell fish tank supplies.

suicides_eve
January 22nd, 2010, 09:50 AM
yep, it's a great tip. When i was bottle blonde with the girls, it was nothing to see one or 2 of us with it on our hair. gotta love summer:)

Arniky
January 22nd, 2010, 08:14 PM
never heard of using ketup in hair, hows the color and feel

Tonks
January 22nd, 2010, 08:27 PM
I've heard of using ketchup before, but not why. Interesting! Glad it seemed to work well for you :D

Bellalalala
January 22nd, 2010, 09:12 PM
Well, vinegar is commonly used on hair, and I can see tomato being beneficial, and other than sugar, there isn't much else in ketchup, so yeah, I can see it working.

Natalia
January 22nd, 2010, 09:51 PM
Hmmm my only thoughs on that would be that vinager (acidic) + tomatos (acidic) + sugar (humectrant) = great hair?