PDA

View Full Version : hair dyes and job irony.

apynip
January 21st, 2010, 08:39 PM
I lasted maybe 3 months without hair dye then dyed it a lighter colour. and then last week I dyed it a nice rich brown that i really like.

Well... I shouldnt be dyeing it while i grow it out right?

Except that I got a job at Sallys beauty supply three weeks ago.

Might I say that I LOVE it first off?
Second though i have to recomend products that I never use on my hair such as hair straighteners, perms, blow dryers, harsh bleaches, and other things that are harsh on your hair.

Good thing is is that I get a good discount.

Ironic job yes?

It makes me constantly want to change my hair though which is the part that scares me slightly.

I plan to keep this job through college if i can though so its a little hard...

Any tips on how I can fight off this horrible hair changing monster inside of me?

tralalalara
January 21st, 2010, 08:50 PM
As long as you take all of the right precautions, using those products on your hair occasionally can't be too damaging as long as you don't do it every day!

I find that casual experimentation and curling/straightening for special days hasn't been a problem for me. It's only when I have to do something heavy duty for four nights of shows in a row that my hair starts feeling dry and upset!

And now that you have discounts, you can afford the heat protection sprays and texturizing sprays so you don't have to tease or use a much styling spray which is harder to get out.

apynip
January 21st, 2010, 09:19 PM
mm this is true. though i have naturally straight hair and i only ever pin curl cause i like the effect better than i do by an iron.

I just find it hard to stay away from the hair dyes really. i mean i bought a nice hair dye, developer, applicator bottle, and gloves for 6 bucks. two of those i can reuse so next time it will be 3 or 4 depending on if we have a sale or not.

I am excited though that they have mane and tail there though!:cheese: I've been wanting to try that for a while.

xoxophelia
January 21st, 2010, 09:24 PM
Perhaps offer to help other girls you know apply their hair dye. Then you get the fun of doing it without ruining your hair with more hair color.

apynip
January 21st, 2010, 09:28 PM
thats a good idea... my boss does know about my hair goals which is probably half the reason she hired me because i knew about hair care.

Thanks and I'll ask around amongst my friends to see if they want their hair done. ^_^

I might take some beauty classes too... hmm... this could be fun. ^_^

ravenreed
January 21st, 2010, 10:01 PM
I dyed my hair for a long time before I ran into problems where I had to cut off as much hair as I grew because my ends had had it. Not everyone is that fortunate, and sadly there is only one way to find out.

The question always is, what is more important to you? If you are happy to grow a little slower and get some damage from styling and dyeing, then there you go. Otherwise, if you want long hair as soon as possible, you have to deal with the fact that dyeing will cause that damage over time and will need to be trimmed off.

spidermom
January 22nd, 2010, 11:56 AM
They also sell wonderful conditioners there, don't they? Perhaps you can shift your focus (if you really want to).

Funny - I get tired just thinking about having to keep up with coloring roots, so changing my color has never had much appeal (and I'm not a lazy person).

JamieLeigh
January 25th, 2010, 11:00 AM
I agree with Spidermom on this - I know for a fact that Sally's has just started selling sulphate-free shampoos, thanks to a thread on this site. :D There are a lot of GOOD things in there you can go crazy over, and just leave those BAD things on the shelf. ;)

amaiaisabella
January 25th, 2010, 11:13 AM
I agree with Spidermom on this - I know for a fact that Sally's has just started selling sulphate-free shampoos, thanks to a thread on this site. :D

Yup! I'm using one now (not sure if you were referencing my thread or not!) and I'm liking it so far :) So there are plenty of good things to rec there- what about the lovely Denman brushes, and wide-toothed combs?

Islandgrrl
January 25th, 2010, 11:18 AM
I wish you were working here at our local Sally's. No one here knows a darned thing about how to properly care for hair!

Pierre
January 25th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Is it flat ironic, or curling ironic?

klcqtee
January 25th, 2010, 11:14 PM
They sell an awesome Keratine DT that my hair likes. Try out some of their deep treatments, and hair "repair" stuff. It'll be safer for your hair. Plus you can always invest in some clip in extensions (they sell those, right?). You could buy blonde ones, then buy some bright Ion dye and dye them funky colours. Plus accessories. Make up type do-dads. Neat clips. There are lots of things to tempt yourself with that aren't horrible for your hair.

Plus you can always play the "real or fake" game that I play. You just look at a customer and guess if their hair is really that long, straight/curly, or naturally that colour. Then guess what it should be!

Alright, so the game is on the lame side, but it keeps your mind busy, plus you can look at all the damage you're avoiding by not dying your hair (again) or straightening/curling it all the time.