PDA

View Full Version : SMT before or after temporary color

redneckprincess
January 21st, 2010, 04:37 PM
Sorry I know Im being bothersome, but this is my last thread about these topics...

I did wind up using a light brown shade of a temporary color on my hair today..Its ok I like it, the blonde bits arnt quite as dark as I was hoping for, but thats ok its temporary and will start fading the first time I wash it... oh pics are HERE (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4574) in my album

anyways Im in need of a SMT, but Im afraid it will pull out the color, should I have done it (smt) before I added the color or is it ok to do after? like tomorrow, or will it pull out the color?

thanks ♥

redneckprincess
January 21st, 2010, 06:53 PM
anyone? anyone with a suggestion
bumping up my post so someone might see it

Shorty89
January 21st, 2010, 07:04 PM
It would probably fade it at least a bit. If you heated the honey that would minimize fading I think, but it would likely still pull the colour out.

xoxophelia
January 21st, 2010, 07:09 PM
If you want to maintain a temporary color the best you can, you need to rinse it as infrequently as you can. Any leave in type thing that you later rise is going to dull the color (but so will anything).

When you color your hair you need to make sure that there is no product in your hair. So doing an SMT right before is probably not the best idea. But two washes before would be ideal.

If you really want the blonde covered, I think you should try semi permanent color. I personally liked Clairol Natural Instincts. It is a semi perm line you are likely to be able to find anywhere. Like Wal Mart.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=166124&catid=113493&aid=337953&aparam=clairol_natural_instinct&CAWELAID=61279457

That is the color I think would work for you (and I am pretty sure it is cheaper in stores). Remember that the color you get will turn out a bit darker than the color on the box.. so that should be a good match.

Anje
January 21st, 2010, 07:11 PM
Ideally, I would think before would be better, just in case it pulls out the color a bit.

But since you already colored, I'd be tempted to say to wait at least til your next wash to do an SMT, or maybe 3 days, whichever comes first. (Wash will probably also pull out some color. Might as well be an SMT.) But I don't have much experience with temp colors, so take what I say with a big chunk of salt.

redneckprincess
January 22nd, 2010, 06:56 AM
Ideally, I would think before would be better, just in case it pulls out the color a bit.

But since you already colored, I'd be tempted to say to wait at least til your next wash to do an SMT, or maybe 3 days, whichever comes first. (Wash will probably also pull out some color. Might as well be an SMT.) But I don't have much experience with temp colors, so take what I say with a big chunk of salt.

your so right!! that should work, thank you!!

FrannyG
January 22nd, 2010, 07:00 AM
Definitely SMT before the temporary colour. After the colour sets, say, in about 2 weeks you can do an SMT again, if you wish. Just make sure to heat the honey for 15 seconds to prevent it from lightening your hair. Good luck on your colour! :flower:

P.S. Never feel the need to apologize for asking a hair question. That's why we're all here. :)

LaurelSpring
January 22nd, 2010, 07:14 AM
I think it would definately fade it some more. Every wash will fade it some more unless its really stuck in there good.

redneckprincess
January 22nd, 2010, 09:15 AM
I think it would definately fade it some more. Every wash will fade it some more unless its really stuck in there good.
thank you, Im not too worried about the smt really I would just hate to do one and have ALL the color fade out

Isilme
January 22nd, 2010, 09:32 AM
what about a leave in instead? You don't wash it out until the next hair wash and it will probably not fade your new colour, which looks good btw.!

redneckprincess
January 22nd, 2010, 09:39 AM
what about a leave in instead? You don't wash it out until the next hair wash and it will probably not fade your new colour, which looks good btw.!
I have never been able to find a leave in I like...or one that compairs to the softness and shine I get from SMT's

jivete
January 22nd, 2010, 09:40 AM
This is slightly off topic, but did you end up going with the Jazzing? I'm curious since I battle keeping color on my porous, brassy ends.

Oh and I would just do a SMT for your next wash. I find them to be nearly as cleansing as a CO wash. Or do the SMT on the length and regular CO on the roots.

redneckprincess
January 22nd, 2010, 10:50 AM
This is slightly off topic, but did you end up going with the Jazzing? I'm curious since I battle keeping color on my porous, brassy ends.

Oh and I would just do a SMT for your next wash. I find them to be nearly as cleansing as a CO wash. Or do the SMT on the length and regular CO on the roots.

I used something like the Jazzing, I dont remember the name right now I'll look for you

Honey39
January 22nd, 2010, 11:09 AM
I would avoid any treatment for a few days at least - when I get my hair coloured, I always leave it alone for about three days to let the colour 'grip' (darker colours); it seems to work. Oiling and conditioning does pull the colour slightly from my hair, and that's permanent colouring - I would avoid doing anything for a while if possible!