PDA

View Full Version : TB Bedtime?

Saldana
January 21st, 2010, 03:15 PM
I have just newly arrived at the "tailbone" length, and my hair has never been this long! (actually, I passed the 'never this long' point at waist, but that's another story!)

Anyway....I've been sleeping with my hair in a single french braid since BSL, and it's always worked well for me. A couple of times, I've tried bunning it, but I'm too restless of a sleeper, and if *anything* is pulling, even one hair, I can't sleep. I tried a sleepcap, but if I cinch it on tight enough to where it doesn't slide off my head, it gives me a headache. Loose and thrown over the pillow is not an option. So I was good with the single braid.

The issue now is that the braid is starting to not work for me. It's too long, it gets trapped underneath me, wound around my neck, or balled up in my face.

Question - how are the other TB to classic folks putting their hair to bed? Any advice for a newbie?
(oh, I've also tried two english braids....ha ha ha...I was tied up in them before I even turned the light off).

Helpppppp...!

pepperminttea
January 21st, 2010, 04:14 PM
I'm nowhere near TB yet, but could you try bringing the braid up to your nape, and tying it there, around the base of the braid, so it loops upward?

Twil
January 21st, 2010, 04:19 PM
Have you tried a big silk scarf? They tie tight, but have some stretch so I never got a headache from them. I'd wrap my hair around in a crown around my head and tie a scarve around it (I don't have tailbone though)

GoddesJourney
January 21st, 2010, 04:27 PM
Have you tried making a loose braid above your head? It's the same idea as throwing your hair over the top of your bed, only it doesn't get tangled because it's braided.

Xi
January 21st, 2010, 04:29 PM
This is a good question. I generally use an English braid carefully draped over the pillow (and down the side of the bed), and just put up with the occasional hair-trapping/strangling/etc. Over the years I've developed the skill of re-arranging my hair when I turn over without really waking up. I'm not an overly restless sleeper, though... I wish I had something more helpful to say!:( I'll be watching this thread for tips.

jojo
January 21st, 2010, 04:39 PM
you could always wear a silk pillow case over your head and secure with a cloth head band?

though your husband may get you locked up for your own safety!

Finoriel
January 21st, 2010, 05:17 PM
Braid (Dianyla style) and sleep like a rock...

:shrug: My cat sleeps on my feet and IŽd like to keep my toes :p.

celelu
January 21st, 2010, 05:53 PM
I alternate between letting my hair down over the pillow to the floor (when my cat is not around... since he tries to eat it) and a very loose bun with a scrunchie on the top of my head. That way, I can turn as much as I want and the scrunchie is soft enough not to pull.
HTH

Isilme
January 21st, 2010, 06:04 PM
I always do a high braid and drape it over my pillow. Works every night!

Quixii
January 21st, 2010, 06:13 PM
Huh, I just do a ponytail and don't have a problem. Or some nights I plop, which involves it all wrapped up on top of my head.

Tangles
January 21st, 2010, 06:32 PM
How about a braid over your head as if you were making a crown braid? You could even pin it into place for extra security.

Olde Soul
January 21st, 2010, 07:49 PM
I do a top-knot kind of bun at the top of my head and it doesn't pull. Also gives me nice bun waves in the morning.

Anje
January 21st, 2010, 08:07 PM
Mine just goes loose in a sleep cap, which is actually fairly loose on my head.

I can't really explain it, but I learned to sleep in a cap. For the first week or two, I would wake up to find it in various locations all over the bedroom. Then it started staying on. It seemed to just take practice, and I apparently stopped ripping it off and flinging it places in my sleep.

mrs carol
January 21st, 2010, 08:21 PM
I braid my hair in one long braid. Works well for me.

Teacherbear
January 21st, 2010, 09:54 PM
TB checking in to give advice on my bedtime . . . about 11:30 . . . :gabigrin:

Oh, tailbone, not me?! Ok . . .

My hair is about tailbone length and I put 3 or 4 scrunchies down the length of my hair at night. The first one is a low/nape pony tail. The scrunchies make my hair a little heavier so my hair stays over my pillow at night. If it happens to get under me, it is easier to move back over the pillow because of the scrunchies.

Himesama
January 22nd, 2010, 12:02 AM
Have you tried tucking your braid under your pillow? It seems to work pretty well for me, and my hair is around tb.
v

Dreah
January 22nd, 2010, 12:15 AM
I have this exact same problem. I'm currently just past tailbone, nearly to classic, and I'm also a very restless sleeper and find my braid stuck under me when I'm tossing and turning.

What I've found works reasonably well is to do a single braid like normal, and then loop it in half and pin it at the nape with a scrunchie. Or, make a braided bun at the nape with a scrunchie. It gets loose with all the movement but it stays relatively out of the way, for me at least. =)

Nini
January 22nd, 2010, 04:04 AM
My braid almost hits TB now, and I sleep with a single English braid. I drape it over my pillow. I do occationally wake up with it around my neck, but it's not like I'm strangling myself, so it's not a problem. I'm a restless sleeper, and I don't think I could handle a sleep cap.

Nini

hmmm
January 22nd, 2010, 04:40 AM
I highly recommend the silk scarf idea. I love mine, even though my hair isn't long enough to get tangled... I just like keeping it out of my face when I sleep.

shrimp
January 22nd, 2010, 06:18 AM
I've been haivng issues with my usual braid too. It's about classic length and I wake up with it in all kinds of interesting and not so fun places no matter where I put it. And after a couple of years of sleeping alone my hair has grown to the point where having o/h sleep with me creates issues.

I'm still looking for a fix though. I think I may look at the silk scarf option. Sometime s Iplop overnigth to get the hair out of the way but Ihave to use a towel at the momnet which isn;t exactly glamorous and more importanty cretes frizz and tangles when used on dry hair.

slight hijack
Does anyone kow off the top of their head the link to the place that sells the false scarf type things? You know, the ones where you place a bonnet type thing over your hair then tie the ties so it looks like a traditional scarf, but ermm :ponder: isn't?
end hijack

embee
January 22nd, 2010, 06:41 AM
I had this problem and solved it with a scrunchy bun on the very top of my head. The bun is not under me at any point, and is not particularly tight so there's no pulling.

UP Lisa
January 22nd, 2010, 06:57 AM
I just put mine in one braid, and tuck it into my nightgown or pajamas. That way it isn't going all over the place.

Irishred
January 22nd, 2010, 07:14 AM
Longer than tailbone here. The restlessness of my sleep depends on how tired I am or stress. However, I am less likely to get 'caught' by it than DH or DS3 Had a satin pillow case but it got ruined in the washer and haven't gotten it replaced. Cannot stand sleep caps. I tried a top knot scruncii bun a couple times but it was just not comfortable. I never do a ponytail as it just makes masses of tangles. I don't like to sleep on french braids because of the bump. So for me, I usually do an english braid or 2. I will do a rope braid when I don't want the kinks of braid waves but that tangles a bit more (less than loose though). I have learned to do one of two things to keep my tail safe from bed predators: 1) bring the braid over my shoulder to the front or 2) flip the tail up over my pillow. If my hair is loose (freshly washed and still wet or I have a headache) I try to flip it up over my pillow.

Hope that helps

Angela_Rose
January 22nd, 2010, 07:24 AM
Try a Dianyla braid, but set up on the crown of your head. It'll keep it from tangling you up.

curlylocks85
January 22nd, 2010, 07:50 AM
Try a Dianyla braid, but set up on the crown of your head. It'll keep it from tangling you up.

What is a Dianyla braid :confused:

nowxisxforever
January 22nd, 2010, 10:12 AM
I know you said you aren't cool with this, but I've been using the 'loose & thrown over the pillow' since waist.

Saldana
January 22nd, 2010, 11:54 AM
So many wonderful ideas!!! Thank you all so much - I'm going to try them one at a time until I find something that works for me at this length....I *knew* all I needed was to come to the hairboard and ask for help. :)

Angela_Rose
January 22nd, 2010, 12:15 PM
What is a Dianyla braid :confused:

http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=23652 Read and be enlightened! It's the *most* secure and even three-strand braid EVAR. :pumpkin: And Dianyla's just awesome.

eshta
January 22nd, 2010, 12:58 PM
slight hijack
Does anyone kow off the top of their head the link to the place that sells the false scarf type things? You know, the ones where you place a bonnet type thing over your hair then tie the ties so it looks like a traditional scarf, but ermm :ponder: isn't?
end hijack

Do you mean www.prettywrap.com (http://www.prettywrap.com/)

I have one, but never use it anymore. It's slippery so I need to wrap tight, and always lose it sometime during the night.

I'm nowhere near tailbone yet, but a single braid works best for me, I like the idea of stuffing it under the pillow.
(http://www.prettywrap.com)

cindy58
January 22nd, 2010, 03:31 PM
I too have just reached tailbone again after a trim last fall. I just sleep with mine loose. Very occasionally I'll braid it to one side. If it's loose and we're snuggling, I pull it forward over my shoulder so he hopefully doesn't get a mouthful of hair.

Leabhar
January 22nd, 2010, 10:13 PM
I use two braids, but if I found them bothersome I would do an upside-down braid (plain or French) and place the braid to the side or coil it or something; leaving a braid hanging from my scalp gives me a sore scalp the next morning.

Then again, I have been so tired, I once fell asleep in my bun of the day (cinnagibraltar) and woke up the next day with it intact! What to do but to make sure it was secure, wrap a hairnet around it to keep any strays down, and toddle off to work. Hehehe!

Bekah
January 22nd, 2010, 11:00 PM
I'm only an inch or so off tailbone atm. I tend to do a high bun or braid it over my shoulder and let it puddle in front of me. It's not quite long enough to wrap around my neck and strangle me when I roll over... or if it is I haven't noticed.

I can't sleep with my hair down- it starts attacking my face at shoulder length because I toss and turn so much and I shudder to imagine how awful it'd be at this length.

justme
January 23rd, 2010, 12:59 AM
I can't sleep in a Dianyla braid because it creates a bump on my head that gets my neck out of whack. Similarly, I can't have anything like a scrunchy at the back of my neck. I used to sleep in a silk cap, but it gave me headaches and earaches. I can't do anything at the top of my head because that causes scalp pain. So I feel your pain. ;)

Lately I've had a lot of success doing a regular braid (started low, but still secure). Then I roll it up loosely (a little like this (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.fallingpixel.com/products/3990/mains/rope.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.fallingpixel.com/3d-models/3990&usg=__tkSgAgedNAYmNuyc-2o3Z0_duH4=&h=400&w=400&sz=27&hl=en&start=13&um=1&tbnid=j6tiIYq6m3j9SM:&tbnh=124&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Drope%2Bcoil%26hl%3Den%26um%3D1) or this (http://www.freefoto.com/images/9907/03/9907_03_21---Coil-of-rope_web.jpg?&amp%3Bk=Coil+of+rope)) and tie a hairtie around the looped parts (usually 3-4 loops). It ends up being brastrap length at the longest so it doesn't get in my way and/or is easy to move out of the way. I've even had success tying a silk scarf around it to protect the hair - I'm planning to sew something that'll work better soon.

shrimp
January 23rd, 2010, 07:11 PM
Do you mean www.prettywrap.com (http://www.prettywrap.com/)

I have one, but never use it anymore. It's slippery so I need to wrap tight, and always lose it sometime during the night.

I'm nowhere near tailbone yet, but a single braid works best for me, I like the idea of stuffing it under the pillow.
(http://www.prettywrap.com)

I think that was it eshta! Thanks :flower:

spidermom
January 23rd, 2010, 07:33 PM
I bend forward and make a single braid from the top of my head. I left it in a top-ponytail for a long time, but it started to get too tangly. And a top-bun stopped working around waist length.

Ravenwaves 88
January 23rd, 2010, 07:59 PM
I really can't wait to figure out what to do with Tailbone length hair....lol! Even with all of it's challenges. I'm gathering good ideas for the future....thanks guys!

JamieLeigh
January 25th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Braiding never worked for me either - not only for the problems you mentioned in your original post, but also because I was nervous of damage from having it scrub around under my head and body all night. I normally just pile my hair into the bottom shelf of my headboard.....but I guess that would be the same as throwing it upward loose over your pillow and you said that doesn't work for you. Try a sleep cap, others on this site rave about them. :)