PDA

View Full Version : Question for those with U or V shaped hems

Monkey962
January 21st, 2010, 12:07 PM
Does your hemline cause trouble with braiding? I like my blunt hemline, and maintaining it is easy, but I think a gentle U would look much better on me. My hair's usually in a braid, and I like it to be as neat as possible (though isn't always the case), and I'd like to know if a U shaped hemline would be at all messy at the end when braided.

marikamt
January 21st, 2010, 12:10 PM
I have a very deep U, almost a V (not by choice, growing out layers) and yes, it makes braiding harder...... Maybe a gentle U would be okay......

ravenreed
January 21st, 2010, 12:12 PM
I have a deep V that I am slowing turning into a U. My braids are a mess. Even though my buns (finally!) look fine with no sticky-out bits, the bottom 1/3 or so of my braids are all fuzz. I don't wear braids that often, so I don't mind, and when I do, I just leave a long tassel. For someone very interested in braids, perhaps shallow layers would be okay?

spidermom
January 21st, 2010, 12:13 PM
I have so many newer shorter hairs from natural shed and regrow cycles that it doesn't seem to matter; my braids are messy no matter what. My hair was blunt cut at waist length, but I have a U-shape now, which I like much better. My hair reminded me of a short cape when it was blunt cut; I hated that.

frizzalot
January 21st, 2010, 12:14 PM
I have a deep v and layers, no problems braiding but alot of bits stick out.

On the plus side, I can braid all the way to the very tips and then roll it up to protect the ends.

lapushka
January 21st, 2010, 12:16 PM
Maybe leave a longer tassel at the end, not braid as far down?

Anje
January 21st, 2010, 01:04 PM
I have a shallow-ish U constraining my fairytale ends. (The taper's getting to me, so I'm trying to maintain a length and let the thickness catch up. Whether I'm maintaining my hair about 3 inches above terminal is something I don't want to think about yet.) I can't say that the hemline makes braids particularly harder. Usually the section(s) of hair that contain the most from the front and/or sides of my head runs out first due to taper rather than hemline.

Carolyn
January 21st, 2010, 01:14 PM
I used to have a U shape and yes it did mean a thinnish, wimpy tassel. That's one reason I went to a straight across cut. I've never had a V shaped hemline as I don't like that look on my hair type so I can't really say. But I think the tassel issues would be worse with a V than a U. I wear a braid at least 2 days a week and love to have a nice thick tassel. If you have a gentle U, and by that I mean 2" or less difference in the front and center back length, I don't think it affects the tassel too much. At one time I had a 5" difference and it really wimped out my tassel. I'm glad I have it straight across now. I never wore a braid when I was growing out my layers. I couldn't stand all the ends sticking out.

Twil
January 21st, 2010, 01:40 PM
I have a U shape, but the curls on the outside of my head are tighter than the curls down the middle of my back, so when I stretch them out, they're all the same length, and braids even.

Siava
January 21st, 2010, 02:11 PM
I've got a gentle U and have to leave about 2 inches of tassle or else is looks messy and thin.

Islandgrrl
January 21st, 2010, 03:32 PM
I do have a gentle U, and quite a bit of layering in the bottom 6-8" of my hair still and it makes for a big challenge braiding. I usually braid to, oh, maybe BSL, then the rest is the tassel.

enfys
January 21st, 2010, 03:35 PM
I have something between a V and a U; the sides are somewhere near APL while the centre is at hip.

I don't wear braids out. They're for sleep until further notice. They are too messy and uneven.

walterSCAN
January 21st, 2010, 05:52 PM
<---You can see my U-shape in my avatar. I don't feel like it gives me any problems, but I like to leave longer tassels (never less than 2", sometimes the tassel starts at APL-- I just don't like short tassels on me), so YMMV.

The ends of your braids will be more tapered with a U than a blunt cut though... just depends on what you are comfortable with.

artemis
January 21st, 2010, 06:25 PM
I have a slight U and I braid until the ends start to poke out and then tie it off with an elastic. Then I put a scrunchie around the elastic and part of the tassle, making the end of my braid look shorter (if that makes sense). The scrunchie covers about an inch-and-a-half of the tassle.

My hair isn't long enough yet for buns. Still waiting for that milestone :)