PDA

View Full Version : Fragile hair

Maid of Astolat
January 21st, 2010, 08:34 AM
Ok, I'm new and I have like abazzilion question....but I'm *trying* not to take up the whole forum with my newbie questions, please bear with me, lol.

My hair is very, very, very, fine. I again stress the word fine. As in newborn baby hair. While soft and pretty to look at, it is HATEFUL to have. Depending on how I treat it when I wash it, it can be kinky curly to wavy and it's about 27 inches long not pulled straight...but between breakage and me trimming away split ends, it's been this length forever (or at least it seems that way).

So, here's the thing. I get tuns of split ends and breakage....and I'm relatively kind to my hair. While the ends get dry after about three days of not washing, they don't stay that way. Is there anything I can do to help prevent all these splits and breaks, some little trick that I'm not aware of?

LILBERT
January 21st, 2010, 08:58 AM
No little trick im afriad! just very VERY gentle handling (think antique lace).

I cannot recommend this article enough, i still read it every now and then after 6 years on these forums, just to remind myself :p

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=8

Although we have opposite hair types (mines very thick) i can add my :twocents:
You want to do everything you can to protect those precious ends, as well as S&Ding and dusting you could try:
-CWC method so ends are more protected when washing with shampoo.
-oiling the ends daily or so for extra moisture.
-keeping your hair in protective updos during the day to minimize wear to the hair.
-keeping your hair contained when sleeping to minimize wear.
-maybe a satin pillowcase?

There are other washing methods you could try too but honestly, with fragile split prone hair the very best thing you can do it be very gentle and keep your hair protected (in updos.) And keep trimming off that damage! :) I know it sucks, im having the same problem with the layers im trying to grow t the moment. They dont seem to be getting any longer because im always trimming the damage but youll find if your consistant with this, you will get there ;)

Also, do you brush or comb? and what type of cob/brush do you have?

Honestwitness
January 21st, 2010, 09:32 AM
I have fragile hair, also. I have begun using both a satin pillowcase AND a sleep cap at night. They REALLY help. I have also been learning to take it very slowly when I comb or brush it and be much more careful how I handle it when doing anything else with it, such as putting on and taking off my clothes, putting pins or clips in it or taking them out, etc.

Even items that other people say don't damage their hair seem to torture mine. I even have to be careful with velvet scrunchies.

Updos are a challenge for me, because, while I know it's better for my hair to be protected from blowing around in the wind, seat belts, fan blades, etc., the implements to keep it up are also dangerous to my hair.

I will be watching this thread for ideas from those with more experience than I.

WyrdWay
January 21st, 2010, 09:51 AM
Yeah are you using any protective styles? Letting the hair even rub up against its self can be damaging.

jivete
January 21st, 2010, 09:56 AM
I think yours is a common length to get stuck at (BSL) because the hair tends to rub on more things. Mine is very fragile and fine and about the same length. I think to get past this point, I'll need to wear it up more. I don't have too much advice because this is the longest mine has ever been, but I'm working towars waist and know I'll need to make some changes to get there. Wearing it up more it top on my list.

Maid of Astolat
January 21st, 2010, 10:38 AM
What are some good protective up styles? I try not to use hair bands --they tend to eat my hair-- but I'm afraid that's what I wind up using most of the time. And my hair quite literally spits out hair pins, so I don't use them very much. Are hair sticks a good thing to use? Also, what's a good light conditioner for my ends for those days that I don't wash?

Maid of Astolat
January 21st, 2010, 10:40 AM
No little trick im afriad! just very VERY gentle handling (think antique lace).

I cannot recommend this article enough, i still read it every now and then after 6 years on these forums, just to remind myself :p

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=8

Although we have opposite hair types (mines very thick) i can add my :twocents:
You want to do everything you can to protect those precious ends, as well as S&Ding and dusting you could try:
-CWC method so ends are more protected when washing with shampoo.
-oiling the ends daily or so for extra moisture.
-keeping your hair in protective updos during the day to minimize wear to the hair.
-keeping your hair contained when sleeping to minimize wear.
-maybe a satin pillowcase?

There are other washing methods you could try too but honestly, with fragile split prone hair the very best thing you can do it be very gentle and keep your hair protected (in updos.) And keep trimming off that damage! :) I know it sucks, im having the same problem with the layers im trying to grow t the moment. They dont seem to be getting any longer because im always trimming the damage but youll find if your consistant with this, you will get there ;)

Also, do you brush or comb? and what type of cob/brush do you have?

I normally brush, as it can take me thirty minutes to comb my hair, and my brush is just a normal wally-world one with the little plastic protectors on the end. Thanks for the article, I think it's going to be very helpful.

AstrayStar
January 21st, 2010, 11:38 AM
I love putting my hair up in fishtails with a claw clip. It seems to be the least damaging way of putting my hair up the moment. I also don't know how to use sticks yet, but I am hoping to try sometime :)
Good luck with your ends! Which reminds me I don't think anyone has suggested yet trying catnip tea which is supposed to be good for strengthening hair. There is a great link here somewhere.

AstrayStar
January 21st, 2010, 11:39 AM
Sorry for the double post but here is the link

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=118

Boudicca
January 21st, 2010, 12:41 PM
I have baby hair as well - I know how frustrating it can be. I would recommend finding updos that work for you. You say your hair is curly - can you plait it without using any hairbands top or bottom? That way, you could fold it into a braided bun and use a couple of pins to secure it.

I'm also doing some sort of twisty bun that has no elastic just now - but I can't for the life of me figure out which one I keep doing. When I get the name, I'll update the post.

Also, do you use a leave in conditioner?

Heliotrope
January 21st, 2010, 12:50 PM
My hair is fine and fragile, too. The best advice I ever received from a hairdresser was to stop using a brush altogether and switch to a wide tooth comb. Switching reduced my breakage by at least 50%.

Queen Olympias
January 21st, 2010, 09:03 PM
I also have fine, fragile hair so I will definitely be watching this thread. I am trying to "be gentle" with my hair and wear it up more, but it seems like no matter what I do it tangles and breaks so easily!

PorcelainHorror
January 21st, 2010, 10:00 PM
My hair is very fragile and fine too and I've found that wearing it up helps a LOT.

Captain Nikki
January 22nd, 2010, 01:46 AM
I have super dry & fine hair too & can agree with all the recommendations already given. Especially the oiling, up dos (i like the claw clips best) & very gentle handling. I've found one of the best things is to apply a cone free conditioner to my hair about half an hour (or longer) before CO washing. Prior to joining this forum i used to get bazillions of split ends. Now it's a struggle to find one!

UP Lisa
January 22nd, 2010, 06:07 AM
I would say get rid of that brush immediately!!! If I used a brush like that, I would have NO hair. The only brush I am able to use is a VERY soft-bristled natural bristle brush. I also avoid doing any brushing or combing, if possible. And your comb needs to have wide teeth and be seamless.

Keep the hair up as much as possible to keep it from tangling.

elina333
January 22nd, 2010, 06:17 AM
- Sleep on a satin pillowcase
- Sleep with your hair braided, or in a bun on top of your head, to minimize friction when you toss and turn at night
- No brushing (especially not when wet)!
- No metal accessories (like elastics with that nasty metalclip on them)
- Fingercomb or use a wide tooth comb. Preferably in the shower while you have conditioner in your hair
- S & D
- Dont schampoo too often. Sometimes just a rinse can freshen it up enough. Also, a good dry schampoo could help.
- Use an oil of your choice

Good luck :D

bumblebums
January 22nd, 2010, 06:59 AM
I would also recommend trying to not use a brush. My hair thickened noticeably when I stopped using a brush. Brushes can feel nice, but they aren't great for wavy fine hair. I now comb it with a wooden comb, and I try to do this as little as possible.

HildeMV
January 22nd, 2010, 09:11 AM
Be super gentle, that's especially with mechanical damage.

verene
January 22nd, 2010, 11:12 AM
I also have fragile hair. Making the move to wearing it up the majority of the time has allowed me to grow longer, and healthier than I've ever done before. If I start seeing breakage I'll switch to a new updo - rotating hair-dos seems to keep the strain on my hair low enough that is doesn't break. I also no longer wear my hair loose at night, it still fuzzes with a braid, but no where near as many tangles. I don't know if coconut oil has added strength to my hair but it certainly adds shine, and softness, as well as motivation that I put my hair up. :-)

Figuring out what your hair can tolerate and what it can't takes a bit of experimentation, but a general move towards gentle handling and protective styling certainly will not harm it.

LILBERT
January 22nd, 2010, 11:26 AM
i used to have one of those brushes. Ive recently switched to a tangle teezer http://www.tangleteezer.co.uk/ I can highly recommend them for quick, gentle brushing (including de tangling). This comes from a former lover of those very much frowned upon paddle brushes with plastic rounded end bristles :p

Damiana
January 22nd, 2010, 02:48 PM
Hi, I'm new on here too, I have a real problem with breakage and damage and if I cut the damage off I'll be back to BSL again, ho hum. I keep my hair in updos with a claw grip (?) as much as possible and braid it for bed but I must get a silk pillowcase! I always use my fingers to comb now when hair is wet and have just invested in a microfibre turbie towel. I'm still learning though and have yet to crack this problem!:rolleyes:

Flaxen
January 22nd, 2010, 03:49 PM
Lady_Godiva, will you please check the email address you signed up with? There's an important message from the staff. Thanks! :smile:

Liss
January 22nd, 2010, 04:01 PM
Ok, I'm new and I have like abazzilion question....but I'm *trying* not to take up the whole forum with my newbie questions, please bear with me, lol.

My hair is very, very, very, fine. I again stress the word fine. As in newborn baby hair. While soft and pretty to look at, it is HATEFUL to have. Depending on how I treat it when I wash it, it can be kinky curly to wavy and it's about 27 inches long not pulled straight...but between breakage and me trimming away split ends, it's been this length forever (or at least it seems that way).

So, here's the thing. I get tuns of split ends and breakage....and I'm relatively kind to my hair. While the ends get dry after about three days of not washing, they don't stay that way. Is there anything I can do to help prevent all these splits and breaks, some little trick that I'm not aware of?

It might be possible that with such super fine baby-type hair, it has already reached its terminal length.
I'd suggest taking note of the excellent advice already given by others on this thread for better condition, then you will be able to tell if the length will continue growing or not.
Sadly baby-fine hair, as opposed to regular fine hair, doesn't often grow super long. My mother has the same type of hair and it doesn't grow beyond ear length.

Sissy
January 24th, 2010, 03:50 PM
There's been some very good advice here. I have fragile hair too and am very prone to splits. I need to start taking the advice of wearing my hair up! I do use a satin pillowcase, take supplements, and use a very wide seamless comb from Hairsense. I also finger comb. I also brush and would suggest that if brushing is something you don't want to give up you at least switch from your wally world brush to a wooden brush without balls on the ends of the bristles. Some people also have luck with Denman brushes, but I prefer my wooden ones.

UP Lisa
January 25th, 2010, 07:50 AM
I would consider my hair to be baby-fine. It grew to Tailbone length, and was still growing before I just trimmed 3 inches off of it. And I'm 49. Never thought it would happen!

JamieLeigh
January 25th, 2010, 08:37 AM
I agree with those who have said that protective updos are the best way to go, to prevent extra damage from rubbing between your back and the sofa, chair, car seat, etc. If you wanted to use sticks or forks, I would recommend wooden ones, because you can sand them down if they develop splintering, and sand the tips to round them off for better treatment while putting them in. Also make sure to twist sticks in, not just stick them through - you'll hear your hair snapping if you're rough with sticks.

Also becoming a fan of the satin pillowcase, and I do agree that a sleep cap would be an excellent idea for you, even though I have not tried one myself.

Maid of Astolat
January 25th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Lady_Godiva, will you please check the email address you signed up with? There's an important message from the staff. Thanks! :smile:

I've read your e-mail and replied :D

Rivanariko
January 25th, 2010, 02:30 PM
I also have super-fine hair. I was stuck at BSL for years (27 inches, in fact!) and just couldn't get it to grow anymore. Since coming here, there are three main things that I've discovered my hair NEEDS to stay happy and healthy and growing.

1. Cones. My hair loves cones. I've tried WO and I've tried cone free, both resulted in my hair turning to straw and breaking off in clumps. I think the cones coat the individual strands and help give them a little bit of protection from the elements, but don't quote me on that, I'm no scientist :)
2. Wearing hair up 99% of the time! I almost always have my hair either up in a bun or a braid, except when it's drying. I sleep in a braid because buns are too lumpy for me and it bugs me. By keeping my hair up, I've not only decreased the amount of damage to it because of friction, but it also tangles A LOT less. The idea of detangling my hair before brushing it used to seem absurd to me because I would literally get mats in the back of my head just from every-day activities when I left it down. Now that I keep it up, it only takes me about 10 minutes to carefully and gently detangle with my fingers. Which leads me to my third point...
3. NO BRUSHING! Ever! Well, okay, every once in a while. I brush before I self-trim because I want to make sure that everything is straight and even, but I make sure I'm very thoroughly detangled first. I draggled one of those plastic wal-mart paddle brushes through my hair several times a day for years and loved the way my hair looked and felt, but hated that it wouldn't grow. What a surprise, I was tearing it apart with my rough treatment! Now that I've stopped brushing (which, really, is the major change that I made when joining LHC) my hair is growing like a weed again, I just hit hip! My hair is also getting thicker. I was just on the thick side of i when I joined, and I'm almost to ii now!

I highly recommend hair sticks for updos. I didn't think I could use them because my hair is so fine and slippery, but the right wrap, and they'll hold all day with no problem. It took a little practice, but it takes me only a few seconds now.

UP Lisa
January 26th, 2010, 05:47 AM
Very good advice, Rivenariko. I would never have gotten my hair to this point if I did much brushing or combing, and if I didn't wear it up most of the time.

I've kind of gone on and off with the cones, but anything that can help keep my hairs from sticking together is a blessing. I don't braid my hair much because I feel I am causing so much damage just trying to separate it into sections. It wants to cling together!

Maid of Astolat
January 26th, 2010, 01:12 PM
I haven't used a brush since starting this thread. I use either a wide tooth comb or my fingers and I've been sniping the split-ends with sharp scissors. Last night, I washed my hair and used a baby-detangler spray that I have before combing. And I've been keeping it braided day and night.

I can't say that my hair looks healthier...it's always looked extremely healthy, but I appear to be shedding less hair and it already seems thicker...That may be a nice side affect of deep conditioning with coconut oil that I tried about five days ago....or it may be my imagination. As I mentioned before, my hair is already fairly thick....but the thicker the better :D I've also started taking my vitamins on a more regular basis. Which, once again, leads to another question :rolleyes:

Does anyone have any experience with folic acid? Does it improve hair? How much do you take?