PDA

View Full Version : My Split Causing Sin

lovelylaura
January 20th, 2010, 09:32 PM
SOOOOOOOOOO... barg.

I have been noticing a whole barrage (or what I think is a lot) of split ends in my hair. I tried to cut some off but I have layers, and they are everywhere! And I can't understand this because...

1. My hair hasn't been treated with dyes, colorings, of any sort

2. In my lifetime, I have never blow dried my hair more than once a week. And only for a short period of time did I get in that habit. Extremely, extremely, rarely have I used curling iron or other heat tool of the sort. Probably less than once a year.

3. I haven't brushed my hair for probably 8 years. I do use a plastic comb (I know, I know)

I thought these were the sins of causing split ends. I don't remember having splits as a pre-teen! I remember looking through my hair once because I wanted to see what a "split end" was and I couldn't find a single one.

So ladies, what is causing these splits and what do I do about it? When I do an S&D I just part my hair and work through it section by section cutting splits 1/2 above the split? I also saw another technique where you make little twisties and cut the stray hairs that fly out.

Tell me my split-causing sin!

GoddesJourney
January 20th, 2010, 11:23 PM
Do you wear your hair in a ponytail a lot. This gives a lot of people splits and other breakage they don't even think about because most people don't have elastics that don't cause breakage. They think they do because it says (no damage) but the material itself is abrasive. Anyway, kick the plastic comb or at least file down the teeth inbetween with fine sand paper. Also, finer hair usually breaks easier.

Heavenly Locks
January 20th, 2010, 11:31 PM
Are you sleeping with it loose?

teela1978
January 21st, 2010, 12:16 AM
I get a bunch of splits by wearing it down in the wind. Do you ever do that?

Kris Dove
January 21st, 2010, 12:33 AM
Cold weather and heating indoors seem to make my splits worse in winter than in summer.

Roseate
January 21st, 2010, 01:18 AM
How's your moisture level? If your hair is dry, it can become brittle and more prone to split or break.

Also, make sure your S&D scissors are sharp; dull scissors won't make a clean cut and the end will be more likely to split in the future.

jera
January 21st, 2010, 01:29 AM
Cold weather and heating indoors seem to make my splits worse in winter than in summer.

I second this opinion. You live in MA where a person can experience all 4 seasons in a single day. Very hard on the hair. :rolleyes:

bumblebums
January 21st, 2010, 06:03 AM
I used to get splits, but I haven't seen one in about three months. Here are the changes that led to that. I am not sure which ones were really effective, but the likeliest culprits are up top.

1. I stopped rubbing my wet hair with a cotton terry towel. I now pat dry with a microfiber towel instead.
2. I wet my hair once a week now instead of four times a week.
3. I have stopped using shampoo and conditioner. Either silicones or SLS used to dry my ends out to a texture approximating steel wool, and that probably contributed to my split ends problem.

jivete
January 21st, 2010, 07:59 AM
How often are you washing with and with what?

jivete
January 21st, 2010, 08:02 AM

Did you notice a huge difference when you changed this? I can't seem to stretch my washes very long, but I'm convinced wetting the hair too frequently damages it, especially fine hair. I "wash" 3x per week and wish I could go longer.

Akiko
January 21st, 2010, 08:04 AM
Hmmm. Maybe...

Layered with a razor?
Scissors are too dull?

bumblebums
January 22nd, 2010, 06:45 AM
Did you notice a huge difference when you changed this? I can't seem to stretch my washes very long, but I'm convinced wetting the hair too frequently damages it, especially fine hair. I "wash" 3x per week and wish I could go longer.

I am not sure whether that did it exactly. But my hair is much happier overall when it isn't shampooed every other day.

With fine hair, there is a tradeoff--it can look greasier faster (especially if it's not very curly), so people want to wash it more often. But it is also more fragile, so it suffers more from handling and frequent wetting.

lovelylaura
January 23rd, 2010, 07:27 AM
Do you wear your hair in a ponytail a lot. This gives a lot of people splits and other breakage they don't even think about because most people don't have elastics that don't cause breakage. They think they do because it says (no damage) but the material itself is abrasive. Anyway, kick the plastic comb or at least file down the teeth inbetween with fine sand paper. Also, finer hair usually breaks easier.

Ok, I will get a wooden comb :) I think I have the link to the combs made in Hawaii on my home computer and I think i'll order one... one question about the comb, I shouldnt' keep it in the shower or get it wet all the time, right? I do like to comb conditioner through my hair but wouldn't want to damage the comb.

I do wear my hair in a ponytail when I jog or exercise, and I often work and wear my hair up, but I've been doing a twisty bun secured with a clip at work. I guess I need to experiment with styles more often. My hair is often somewhat greasy because I have been trying to wash/wet it only 2x/week. So... definitely looks better up or styled somehow.

lovelylaura
January 23rd, 2010, 07:28 AM
Are you sleeping with it loose?

No, I will wear a loose ponytail with scrunchie, or some style on top of my head to give me volume in the morning.

I get a bunch of splits by wearing it down in the wind. Do you ever do that?

I wear ponytail when running which is probably time when I'm most exposed to the wind... maybe a bun would be better?

lovelylaura
January 23rd, 2010, 07:33 AM
How's your moisture level? If your hair is dry, it can become brittle and more prone to split or break.

Also, make sure your S&D scissors are sharp; dull scissors won't make a clean cut and the end will be more likely to split in the future.

Moisture level= low. We heat with wood so... you know. I was thinking of getting a humidifier? I have heard of people spraying their hair with water?

rags
January 23rd, 2010, 07:33 AM
If you want a comb for the shower, you can look into bakelite (bone) combs. I like Hairsense on Ebay myself. (or they have a regular store, hairsense.com). You can use them in the shower, and they're seamless!

Fiferstone
January 23rd, 2010, 07:35 AM
Hi Laura:

As a fellow finey, I think that the ponytail may be the main culprit. How do you remove the elastic/scrunchie you use for your ponytail, If you're simply pulling the elastic/scruncie out, down your length -- split city. I'm guilty of this myself and did that for years on my waist length hair :O. A more gentle method is to remove the scrunchie/covered elastic using the same technique with which you put it in, but in reverse.

As a fellow MA dweller, I find my hair definitely has more splits in the winter. We've got forced hot water heat and the air is bone-dry.

Sissy
January 23rd, 2010, 10:00 AM
I too suffer from horrible splits. I'm not sure what would be causing your problem... could be any of the things people mentioned here. One thing I'm wanting to try to stick with consistently is catnip tea soaks as those have been credited with reducing people's splits. There is a whole thread about it here on LHC if you're interested :) Good luck! I know I certainly read this thread with interest in hopes of discovering what might be causing my splits :)

curlylocks85
January 23rd, 2010, 10:18 AM
Ok, I will get a wooden comb :) I think I have the link to the combs made in Hawaii on my home computer and I think i'll order one... one question about the comb, I shouldnt' keep it in the shower or get it wet all the time, right? I do like to comb conditioner through my hair but wouldn't want to damage the comb.

I do wear my hair in a ponytail when I jog or exercise, and I often work and wear my hair up, but I've been doing a twisty bun secured with a clip at work. I guess I need to experiment with styles more often. My hair is often somewhat greasy because I have been trying to wash/wet it only 2x/week. So... definitely looks better up or styled somehow.

I do not understand why a plastic comb would be damaging. I own a plastic comb and I have never had to sand it down; wood combs would have to be sanded; sharp edges and splinters. I really do not think plastic combs cause splits unless you rip your hair while combing then it would not matter what you were using.

Fiferstone
January 23rd, 2010, 10:42 AM
Curlylocks85, most inexpensive plastic combs are not well finished. They are injection molded plastic (meaning that liquid plastic is injected into the mold), and there is a seam where the two halves of the mold join together. You'll see it if you look between the teeth. This seam rubs against your strands and, over time, can snag them and contribute to tangles and splits. People who are really concerned about this will take fine emery paper (something made for acrylic nails might work, I think) and sand those seams down, or else you get another type of comb (bone, horn, wood), that does not have those seams because the teeth are cut into it.

Roseate
January 23rd, 2010, 11:22 AM
Moisture level= low. We heat with wood so... you know. I was thinking of getting a humidifier? I have heard of people spraying their hair with water?

I often spritz my hair with a variation of Kimberliliy's defrizz spray (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277) when it's dry, that can help some. Plain water doesn't seem to do much for me, unless I follow it with oil or leave-in conditioner to seal it in.

lovelylaura
January 24th, 2010, 08:23 AM
I used to get splits, but I haven't seen one in about three months. Here are the changes that led to that. I am not sure which ones were really effective, but the likeliest culprits are up top.

1. I stopped rubbing my wet hair with a cotton terry towel. I now pat dry with a microfiber towel instead.
3. I have stopped using shampoo and conditioner. Either silicones or SLS used to dry my ends out to a texture approximating steel wool, and that probably contributed to my split ends problem.

The towel thing- I do rub my hair with a towel upside down sometimes to dry the roots... where do you buy microfiber towels?
I wet my hair usually 2x/week...
No S&C do you use anything or are you WO?

lovelylaura
January 24th, 2010, 08:38 AM
How often are you washing with and with what?

Wash with a different thing every time- and 2x/wk- but I just started this maybe... 2-3 months ago? Or whatever the date i joined LHC I immediately stopped washing every day. My hair, especially the underneath was like a fuzz ball....

In my shower is... Paul Mitchell Moisture Shampoo/Conditioner (blue writing), an all natural brand Biotin shampoo, Herbal Essecences with Camela oil, An orangy Suave conditioner (for CO) and a Redkin volumizing shampoo/conditioner. I have been experimenting with CO, am torn between if I should clarify my hair and start using no cones and oil (I have been oiling with great results this week) or if I should buy some VO5 and see if I can maintain a CO that will last more than 1-2 days.

Hmmm. Maybe...

Layered with a razor?
Scissors are too dull?

My friend cut my hair last, she is in hairdressing school and has new and recently sharp scissors, so I'm thinking that is fine, and she did not use a razor (ugh, had that before many many years ago, definitely damaging!)

physicschick
January 24th, 2010, 08:47 AM
I'm surprised nobody has said this yet...

Some people's hair is just prone to splitting no matter what. It's not because they've done something wrong. I have thousands of split ends. So do a lot of us. I used to keep cutting back hoping that someday all the split ends would be cut off, but they never were. Eventually I gave up on that and just grew my hair to the length I wanted.

I don't remember having splits as a pre-teen! I remember looking through my hair once because I wanted to see what a "split end" was and I couldn't find a single one.
Some people's hair changes a lot during puberty. Maybe yours became more prone to splits? Of course you want to take good care of your hair, but if you're doing everything right and still have split ends, maybe you can just try not to stress about them.

lovelylaura
January 24th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Hi Laura:

As a fellow finey, I think that the ponytail may be the main culprit. How do you remove the elastic/scrunchie you use for your ponytail, If you're simply pulling the elastic/scruncie out, down your length -- split city. I'm guilty of this myself and did that for years on my waist length hair :O. A more gentle method is to remove the scrunchie/covered elastic using the same technique with which you put it in, but in reverse.

As a fellow MA dweller, I find my hair definitely has more splits in the winter. We've got forced hot water heat and the air is bone-dry.

Thanks, what a great idea! I think I pull it out both ways but I will try never to pull it out along my hair! I know MA lately is so cold and dry! Can't wait for the summer months when the sun and salt at the beach will dry my hair too... :P We definitely experience 4 seasons in one day sometimes. So true!

I too suffer from horrible splits. I'm not sure what would be causing your problem... could be any of the things people mentioned here. One thing I'm wanting to try to stick with consistently is catnip tea soaks as those have been credited with reducing people's splits. There is a whole thread about it here on LHC if you're interested :) Good luck! I know I certainly read this thread with interest in hopes of discovering what might be causing my splits :)

Great idea, we have a catnip plant that grows outside my grandmother's house next door which will come in handy- but I'm going to search this right now and I will attempt and get back to the thread ASAP.

I often spritz my hair with a variation of Kimberliliy's defrizz spray (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277) when it's dry, that can help some. Plain water doesn't seem to do much for me, unless I follow it with oil or leave-in conditioner to seal it in.

Yes, I was thinking about spritzing water and then oiling. But oil alone has been working as well (olive lately) i'm going to check out this recipe as well! Thank you!

lovelylaura
January 24th, 2010, 08:51 AM

Some people's hair is just prone to splitting no matter what. It's not because they've done something wrong. I have thousands of split ends. So do a lot of us. I used to keep cutting back hoping that someday all the split ends would be cut off, but they never were. Eventually I gave up on that and just grew my hair to the length I wanted.

Some people's hair changes a lot during puberty. Maybe yours became more prone to splits? Of course you want to take good care of your hair, but if you're doing everything right and still have split ends, maybe you can just try not to stress about them.

Thank you so much for the encouragement :) I will try not to stress about it. I am still learning so much about hair care, I was wondering what else I could do to improve the condition of my hair. This website and all of you are being such a great help! I really look forward to hopping on the website when I can :)

bumblebums
January 27th, 2010, 06:39 AM
The towel thing- I do rub my hair with a towel upside down sometimes to dry the roots... where do you buy microfiber towels?
I wet my hair usually 2x/week...
No S&C do you use anything or are you WO?

Yeah, I used to do the same--it feels so satisfying, and it seems to dry quicker. But I get far less breakage and splits when I just pat-dry the hair and wrap it up.

I got my microfiber towel at a hiking supplies store--they have them in all sizes. It might have been REI or Eastern Mountain Sports or something like that.

I use egg yolks and Indian herbs--used to do the standard BS/ACV no 'poo thing, but gave it up after a month because it didn't agree with my fine wurly hair. Made it dry and frizzy.

lovelylaura
January 27th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Yeah, I used to do the same--it feels so satisfying, and it seems to dry quicker. But I get far less breakage and splits when I just pat-dry the hair and wrap it up.

I got my microfiber towel at a hiking supplies store--they have them in all sizes. It might have been REI or Eastern Mountain Sports or something like that.

I use egg yolks and Indian herbs--used to do the standard BS/ACV no 'poo thing, but gave it up after a month because it didn't agree with my fine wurly hair. Made it dry and frizzy.

Cool, thanks :) Next time I venture out to the malls I'm going to take a look!

teela1978
January 27th, 2010, 10:02 AM
If you don't want to spend the cash on a microfiber towel, many of us have luck with tying hair up in a t-shirt. When my hair was damaged from dye it was curlier, and I started experimenting with 'plopping', where you plop your hair into a t-shirt on a flat surface, tie it up like a turban, and let the t-shirt soak up some of the water.

I don't have much wave/curl anymore, but I still plop into a t-shirt... not so much because its gentle as being able to get dressed while my hair is still damp without getting water everywhere (can't do that with my hair in a towel!).

lovelylaura
January 27th, 2010, 02:50 PM
If you don't want to spend the cash on a microfiber towel, many of us have luck with tying hair up in a t-shirt. When my hair was damaged from dye it was curlier, and I started experimenting with 'plopping', where you plop your hair into a t-shirt on a flat surface, tie it up like a turban, and let the t-shirt soak up some of the water.

I don't have much wave/curl anymore, but I still plop into a t-shirt... not so much because its gentle as being able to get dressed while my hair is still damp without getting water everywhere (can't do that with my hair in a towel!).

Thanks! I have tried plopping, but unfortunately the only long-sleeve shirt I have right now is a really cheap one that didn't prove very absorbant. Maybe I can find another option around the house... or I'll see how it goes a second time around :)

girlcat36
January 27th, 2010, 03:10 PM
My hair was very damaged looking for years, my only sin was using silicones in my shampoo/conditioners. I had never colored, blow-dried, or flat-ironed, I did not brush my hair, but stylists would always tell me how 'damaged' my hair was!
So giving up cones helped my split ends alot.

Love your avatar pic--where was it taken?

indigonight
January 28th, 2010, 02:11 PM
invest in a bone comb not wooden, I used to comb with a wooden comb but have found that my cowbone one is the best buy I ever made, more than wood it spreads the oils around and unlike wood-think of splinters and whatnot- the bone is the smoothest thing you can get...

elina333
January 28th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Do you sleep on a satin pillowace and do you have your hair braided or in a bun? Also, if you wear it in a ponytail the ends get rubbed against your back and can get stuck in between your back and a seat or between the shoulderstrap on your handbag..?

Bunnicula
January 28th, 2010, 10:51 PM
Are terry towels really bad if you don't rub your hair? When I get out of the shower, I immediately just wrap my hair up in a turban, but don't rub at all. I don't have split ends yet, but I want to make sure I wont get any!

MadPirateBippy
January 29th, 2010, 12:54 AM
What kind of fabrics does your hair get rubbed against? I got many fewer splits with silk pillowcases. Also, I had better luck with a horn comb than with my wood combs.

Madame J
January 29th, 2010, 04:43 AM

Yeah, I was thinking this, and I'm glad someone posted it before I did. While it sounds like the OP does have a few bad habits (rubbing hair with a towel, for example), just existing damages hair. The friction of it rubbing on clothes or on itself, or on car seats (if it's not completely up) will cause splits. And some people's hair just gets damaged easily.

I'm blessed with sturdy hair, but even I have seen a change in my hair over the years. I used to have stick-straight hair that would not take a curl or wave no matter what, and now I have a little natural wave.

Stagecoach
January 29th, 2010, 10:07 AM
I think some hair is simply prone to splits.

I have never dyed my hair, only blow dried maybe 6-7 times in my life; used curling iron on my bangs for a month back when I was 12; wear my hair up in a cinna bun most of the time; Rarely wear it down; sleep on a silk pillow case; never rub my hair with a terry towel, only gently squeeze with a microfiber; I use Amish hair pins for the most part;

And yet, I have splits galore! My hair just seems prone to them. I even tried the catnip tea rinses for a few months and while it helped a little, it didn't help enough to make up for all the time it took to prepare it.

I S&D sporadically. Basically I'll go a couple months without, then spend a week doing them every morning and evening.

lovelylaura
February 2nd, 2010, 02:50 PM
My hair was very damaged looking for years, my only sin was using silicones in my shampoo/conditioners. I had never colored, blow-dried, or flat-ironed, I did not brush my hair, but stylists would always tell me how 'damaged' my hair was!
So giving up cones helped my split ends alot.

Love your avatar pic--where was it taken?

Cones causing splits? I've never heard of that! Good thing I'm on the 2 week no cone challenge... haha!

Avatar was taken on Mt. Monadnock in NH

lovelylaura
February 2nd, 2010, 02:52 PM
invest in a bone comb not wooden, I used to comb with a wooden comb but have found that my cowbone one is the best buy I ever made, more than wood it spreads the oils around and unlike wood-think of splinters and whatnot- the bone is the smoothest thing you can get...

I'm going to make my bone comb purchase tonite! :D I'm going to order one for my hairdresser friend too... for her birthday. I think she'll like it!

lovelylaura
February 2nd, 2010, 02:53 PM
What kind of fabrics does your hair get rubbed against? I got many fewer splits with silk pillowcases. Also, I had better luck with a horn comb than with my wood combs.

I haven't tried silk or satin pillowcases yet... where can I buy one and are they expensive?

I do wear my hair braided on top of my head or a bun on top of my head. I find it works better so I have some volume left in my hair the next morning.

bumblebums
February 2nd, 2010, 05:31 PM
I haven't tried silk or satin pillowcases yet... where can I buy one and are they expensive?

They aren't too expensive. I think I got mine either at overstock.com (just the polyester satin kind) or at Filene's Basement or TJMaxx.

The thing about t-shirts-I tried that, and worked well for plopping, but the t-shirt has to be big enough to work. Think L or XL men's t-shirt. Well, possibly smaller if your head is smaller. I just don't have enough of these to go around, so I bought a large microfiber towel. Bonus: I can use it when I go hiking!