PDA

View Full Version : What to do with neck hairs....

pogo0685
April 28th, 2008, 08:22 AM
What do you do with the neck hairs? Those pesky little hairs that grown under your hairline on your neck? I had a shaved head at one time so I always shaved them too, but now that my hair is long, I just don't know what to do with them, shave them or keep using clips to keep them looking ok when my hair is up....

amaiaisabella
April 28th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Those hairs really annoy me! I have one thick strand that is too short for the rest of my hair, so when I put it up, that chunk always hangs down. I try to twist it (I have straight hair) into a wave or twirl, but it never holds and I just ignore it.

MusingFrog
April 28th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Wellll...I ignore them. I'm not going to cut them because I don't see the point. If they are that frustrating I'd pin them up or figure out how to incorporate them into an updo.

Katze
April 28th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Mine are annoying, too; thicker and wavier than the rest of my hair, they make updos look messy and i can't seem to find any way of making them smooth or holding them in place. The only time they don't do this so much is if my hair is dirty, then I brush it so it's dirtier, then I oil it, then I put hair gel on it and put it in a French twist. This is my default "job interview hairdo" but I don't like doing that to my hair regularly, as it means I have to wash it.

Every single time I put my hair up, I put 1-2 bobby pins or barettes just above the hairline at the nape to hold my hair in place. And every single time, the nape hairs somehow inch their way out so that an in a couple of hours my once-tidy updo is frizzy looking.

It is, honestly, probably the #1 reason why I don't like updos, or at least, don't like those updos that don't look like they are "messy on purpose."

socks
April 28th, 2008, 10:05 AM
I just ignore them as well. I don't see much of a point in bothering with them. They're usually covered up my my bun, anyway.

lyneya
April 28th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Mine go curly if left to their own devices. They've always been there and always will be. I just ignore them. I kind of like having little curls. Now the layered bit that always falls out of my braid? THAT annoys me. ;P

Shorty89
April 28th, 2008, 10:54 AM
I once had them shaved by a hairdresser, years ago, but that was more trouble than it was worth. It was nice for about a week and then the trouble started. My hairline is quite low on my neck so I have quite a bit of hair shaved. After about two weeks, I had lovely mini mowhawks of baby soft neck hair sticking straight out from my neck. The hair was only a couple milimeters long and looked even more odd than my normal hairline. If you want to shave them, then it will require maintenance; however, I'd recommend just letting it be. I find that it can look pretty and soften updos.

domonic_uk
April 28th, 2008, 12:08 PM
I have always just left mine as it will just grow back unfortunately they have started to turn grey now

Isilme
April 28th, 2008, 12:34 PM
I have a sort of love hate relationship with my nape hairs. They curl and if I'm not careful I end up ripping them apart, creation damage that shortens them and the story goes all over again and again... They can be kept nice if I oil them and carefully detangle and make S&D's. A little bit jojoba oil, some water and finger curling makes for cute curls. If I put them up with the updo it feel somewhat tight sometimes. My hairlines goes like this

\/\/

heidi w.
April 28th, 2008, 02:08 PM
I would leave those wispy neck hairs alone. I would not shave them. Those tendrils can soften the look of an updo. I have one zonage that has an unusually long bits of neck hairs, but I have left them alone. They have grown to be able to separately include in an updo and pin into, tucked under, an updo, and look very nice.

Remember, the thickest portion of hair is the center strip of hair on the backside of the head. If you want lovely long hair, I wouldn't mess with this section of hair in any way.

Some people would recommend aloe vera gel to smooth the neck hairs up to hold, instead of spray, when needing a very tailored look. Me, the few times a year I get gussied up, I just use some spritzing hold spray.

heidi w.

Carolyn
April 28th, 2008, 02:27 PM
I embrace them! :D Mine are wavier than the rest of my hair. I love the way they make updo's look messier and more casual. I even try to make them messy and come out of my bun styles. I wouldn't dream of shaving them. Talk about upkeep! Yikes. My personal opinion is it can work on a guy's hair.

CalamityCupcake
April 28th, 2008, 02:42 PM
I just leave mine be. Au natural!

Les
April 28th, 2008, 02:49 PM
They bug me too. I just wish they would make up their mind and grow into full-length hairs :) I just leave 'em alone...

savi
April 28th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Mine are so baby fine and soft, that I really don't notice them. They've never bothered me and I actually think that on most people they look rather cute. :)

Iylivarae
April 28th, 2008, 03:33 PM
I actually like neck hair :o
So I just leave mine... it's now long enough to put it in a ponytail, the short hairs don't annoy me at all... so it's perfectly fine for me.

I wouldn't shave it, I think the stubbles would look pretty strange..

Kallisti
April 28th, 2008, 03:34 PM
I shave mine, they're kind of floofy and stick out oddly. Also I use henna on the rest of my hair and can never get the henna stay on them long enough to color them, so they are a different color than the rest of my hair. I'm probably the only person who notices that, but it bugs me anyway.

pogo0685
April 28th, 2008, 03:42 PM
I am not going to shave them, maybe I will just use hair barrettes and hair pins more often, but now I know what everyone else does with them...

Xanthippe
April 28th, 2008, 03:48 PM
I did a site search and found a great discussion of this topic: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2503&highlight=neck+hair :flower:

Personally, I like them. Mine are curly and romantic I think. I would think shaving them would require a lot of upkeep.

epiphanee
April 28th, 2008, 04:25 PM
The neck is an erogenous zone and those neck hairs are like little magic turn-on tendrils.

I suggest you acquaint yourself with their delightful nature and the pleasure they can give you.

Ella
April 28th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Bobby pins...They wil grow longer in the end

pogo0685
April 28th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Yeah, it would take way to much time to shave them daily... I guess they are not as bad as I thought they were... I feel better knowing im not the only one that has them though.

AJoifulNoise
April 28th, 2008, 04:56 PM
When doing full up-dos like buns I leave them be. I might dampen them because when I do they turn into spiral curls.

When I braid they drive me bananas. So I clip them up under the braid.

spidermom
April 28th, 2008, 05:35 PM
I love mine. Most of them curl.

doodlesmart
April 28th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Mine curl too, so I sometimes take a little AVG and form them into little well defined curlies.

Rain
April 28th, 2008, 08:52 PM
I got them shaved off when I had short hair but it wasn't that much upkeep because I was getting monthly trims anyway. With long hair....eh, I don't have time for this. They are what they are. So I have a hairy neck. Oh well. Most people do, I've noticed.

chicken
April 29th, 2008, 12:28 AM
I shavedm about a month ago - but my hairline is very wide, almost down the neck to my shoulders. And they didn't grow longer than about 3 or 4 inches... no chance of pinning them up. Now they are gone :p I shave the neck about once in two weeks (depending where I'm going...)

flapjack
April 29th, 2008, 02:23 AM
I have little ones all around my head and they lie flat on my skin. Sometimes I take a tiny bit of hairspray that I spray onto my palm and smooth them back from my forehead if I am going out and want to look really well-kept. But I usually leave them be 99% of the time, because as someone else said, I think they're really cute on everybody. Right now I have a little chunk of about 12-15 baby hairs that are growing straight down from the top center part of my hairline and I think they're hilarious. I usually just pick them up and move them to the side, along my part.

littlemiss
April 29th, 2008, 04:05 AM
I hate mine:mad:, once before i did cut them off :D because I thought it was damaged hair but it grew back just the same:( and its really corse hair almost like horse hair:shrug: Now I just live with it!!

angelthadiva
April 29th, 2008, 07:50 AM
I have a weird hairline, if I didn't line one; I don't think I'd even have one. My hair grows really fast, so I line it a few times a week...I've been doing this for years, and I've found it gives a clean crisp view of an updo. :)

KajiKodomo
April 29th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Mine are even more annoying than normal neck hairs. I'm growing out an undercut (I used to buzzcut the bottom 2-3 inches of hair at my nape), so it's about at the base of my neck now (right where a necklace sits), so I get pulling from my necklaces all the time. I also don't like putting my hair up because that area just looks funny to me now, since it's still too short to clip up, without using 5-6 clips. I suppose I shouldn't regret the undercut, because I liked it for a while, but I'm seriously regretting it at this growth stage. I'll have to buy some clips soon to hold that hair up when it gets a little longer. :mad:

camillacamilla
April 30th, 2008, 04:41 PM
I ignore them. I think the wispies soften an updo and besides....I can't see them!If they looked bad I think my husband would tell me. :D

eadwine
April 30th, 2008, 04:45 PM
I got them shaved off when I had short hair but it wasn't that much upkeep because I was getting monthly trims anyway. With long hair....eh, I don't have time for this. They are what they are. So I have a hairy neck. Oh well. Most people do, I've noticed.Yep.. another one here too. Poodle neck, pretty much. I try and put my buns low so they don't stand out too much, but oh well. At least they are a BIT curly and not stick straight. I'd wish they were more curly though, I think that is cute. :)

Leisha
April 30th, 2008, 04:48 PM
I ignore them. I think the wispies soften an updo and besides....I can't see them!If they looked bad I think my husband would tell me. :D
Exactly :D I really never gave them much thought before seeing this thread. I can't see them :shrug: and I agree they soften the look of updos probably.
Although now that I think about it, the neck hairs on the left side sort of annoy me sometimes, but not enough to actually be aware of it much. If I needed them out of the way for some reason, some aloe gel and/or a bobby pin or clic-clac hairclip to the rescue.

I would never shave them or anything... then i would get neck stubble! That seems worse to me than neck wispies :o

Islandgrrl
April 30th, 2008, 04:49 PM
I just ignore all the messy little nape hairs. I can't see them. They don't exist!

alligatorbaby23
April 30th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Argh, I wore a bun today, and they looked like a crop of... "southern" hairs. Argh, tried to just ignore my little patch, or I will wax 'em,, until I look like wighead. Which is worse?

Boudicca
May 4th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Mine are curly (like little ringlets) and drive me mad. Wearing a low bun hides them.

MagpieMama
May 4th, 2008, 09:49 AM
I have a weird hairline, if I didn't line one; I don't think I'd even have one. My hair grows really fast, so I line it a few times a week...I've been doing this for years, and I've found it gives a clean crisp view of an updo. :)

sorry to put my ignorance on display ... what is lining? (& perhaps this is discussed elsewhere?
(I have a very messy hairline, but I try to ignore... always on the lookout for solutions)

:)