PDA

View Full Version : What to do about greasy bangs?

Kristin
January 20th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Just cut some bangs and I love them (I am one of those people who constantly grows out and re-cuts bangs). Anyway, trying to shampoo only once/week and CO whenever needed (but hopefully not on a daily basis). My bangs keep getting greasy. I CO'ed last night and they're already greasy! What the heck should I do? Is it considered shampooing if I only do the bangs?

Madame J
January 20th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Honestly, CO, or stretching washes, isn't like a religion that you must do that, and only that, or else they kick you out. You can conditioner wash most of the your hair with shampoo on the bangs. Since bangs are short, they are young, which means that a lot of the gentle-handling advice is unnecessary for them, since you'll cut off any damage that happens to them. And since they touch your face a lot, they get greasy easily. You can wash just your bangs in the sink in the morning, with shampoo, and we'll still let you in here.

So yeah, it's still considered shampooing your bangs if you shampoo your bangs, but who really cares? The part that you need to worry about handling gently is the rest of your hair. The best thing you can learn from this forum is if something isn't working for you, change it. If something is working, keep it.

handsclean
January 20th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Some people put baby powder or cocoa powder in their hair when it's looking greasy. I haven't tried it, but maybe it would work for you. :)

Dars
January 20th, 2010, 07:55 PM
I know people who wash only their fringe as Madame J posted. Personally if mine is looking worse for wear I pin it back. Dry shampoo helps also.

Elphie
January 20th, 2010, 07:58 PM
I just shampoo my bangs. It's really easy! I stick a headband on the rest of my hair, a tiny bit of shampoo on damp bangs and rinse. No big deal at all.

motormuffin
January 20th, 2010, 08:56 PM
I just shampoo my bangs. It's really easy! I stick a headband on the rest of my hair, a tiny bit of shampoo on damp bangs and rinse. No big deal at all.
I do this too.

Amara
January 20th, 2010, 08:58 PM
I shampoo my bangs every day, sometimes every other day. I never use shampoo on the rest of my scalp. Seems to work just fine. :)

Carolyn
January 21st, 2010, 05:59 AM
When I had bangs, I would do what I called a "bang wash". I'd pull my hair back in a low ponytail and just bend over and shampoo the bang area in the bathroom sink. I'd towel dry and style as usual. It was kind of a PITA but it solved the problem.

feralnature
January 21st, 2010, 04:21 PM
I don't have bangs anymore, but if hair is greasy, then wash it! You make your own rules and don't worry about rules here. Do your own thing!

I would probably wash them everyday to get them to lay right.

RocketDog
January 21st, 2010, 04:25 PM
When I used to wear synthetic dreads I did a 'fringe wash' every day - I had to since I was flatironing and using product on them every day and they'd look nasty if they weren't freshly washed. It's not that hard to section out your bangs and wash them over the sink.

may1em
January 21st, 2010, 04:49 PM
Sometimes, I just wash my bangs and put the rest of my hair up.

CaityBear
January 21st, 2010, 07:31 PM
Either just wash them or use baby powder. Washing would probably be easier.

tralalalara
January 21st, 2010, 09:59 PM
on the second day I usually put my bangs/fringe into a small dutch braid. It looks fancier than just clipping them back, and it adds a little height to your style, Especially if the back is still nice and full. IF it's not, then I just dutch braid the rest of it down the back, or diagonally, adding the small one to it.

shadowclaw
January 21st, 2010, 10:03 PM
Back in the day when I had bangs, I'd wash just the bangs sometimes. It's quite easy, as the others have said. Besides, young hair can typically handle a lot of rough treatment, and when it gets to the point that it will be damaged, you'll cut it off. Assuming using shampoo actually damages your hair. When my hair was virgin, I shampooed and conditioned daily (with cones!) and never had a problem.

marikamt
January 21st, 2010, 10:10 PM

me too (or three)......

Captain Nikki
January 22nd, 2010, 12:24 AM
Me four!

Or if you're short on time Batiste dry shampoo works great. Just spray it on, leave it a couple of minutes & comb it out. Seems to give the hair a bit of body too. I'm not sure if it contains cones though.

Fluffy Squirrel
January 23rd, 2010, 09:15 AM
I wash my bangs in the sink every day or at least every second day.
I think it's a good solution for greasy bangs
and then it seems as if I've washed my whole hair
even if the rest of my hair is greasy (becaus the grease there then looks like hairspray or something;) ).

rosyaddie
January 23rd, 2010, 09:57 AM
When I get greasy bangs, I hop in the shower and run a shampoo bar over them a couple times. Cuts the grease, fixes the problem. :)

Gypsygirl
January 23rd, 2010, 10:01 AM

That! Works like a charm! Oh, and I blow them dry daily, too! ;)

klcqtee
January 23rd, 2010, 10:41 AM
Mine tend to get oily too. If they're oily, but the rest of my hair isn't, I'll clip them back, or braid them into an updo (with a lace braid or something), or comb them back, and put a scarf/ribbon/bandanna over to hide the bangs. If you can, try and clip/tie your bangs up at night. That's when mine get oiliest from rubbing on my face all night.

Alexannee10
January 23rd, 2010, 10:57 AM
When I had bangs, I would do what I called a "bang wash". I'd pull my hair back in a low ponytail and just bend over and shampoo the bang area in the bathroom sink. I'd towel dry and style as usual. It was kind of a PITA but it solved the problem.

I used to do the same thing .. !

BrightEyes
January 23rd, 2010, 11:12 AM
I've always used baby powder on my bangs (I have to rub it in really good so it doesn't look grey:D). But I like the idea of just washing them. I think I'm going to try that tomorrow.

Aeon F.
January 23rd, 2010, 02:14 PM

Ditto! I do this too. I only CO once or twice a week, but my bangs (If I'm not just pinning them back)- have to be washed with shampoo, just Coing- they won't lay right anyway. So when I want bangs, I just pull back my hair in a bun usually and then wash just the bangs in sink (I like sulfate free shampoos for this- I really like Burt's bees color keeper with green tea & fennel or else trader joe's spa stuff for my bangs).

Paliele
January 23rd, 2010, 02:57 PM
I gave myself bangs a while ago and liked how they looked, but I didn't like washing them every day to prevent the greasies. Clipping them back at night helped, but only for a day extra. I'm growing them out to about chin length, and (suprisingly) it seems to help. I'm not sure why my long bangs don't get greasy as fast as my short bangs, but maybe that could help in your situation? :shrug:

JamieLeigh
January 25th, 2010, 10:05 AM
I think that if you're planning to maintain your bangs (as in, keeping them trimmed and shaped the way they are now) for a long time, you can afford to be less frugal in your haircare. Most of the protective styling and washing tips are for those who are NOT intending to cut for a long time, or are attempting to grow longer. With bangs, you can pretty much wash or style them however you want, because you will be trimming them and don't have to worry about breakage or split ends on that specific part of your head.

That said, if you want to wash JUST your bangs with shampoo and the rest of your hair with conditioner, go for it. Also if you're trying to stretch out washes for the rest of your length, it's fine to just wash your bangs in the sink and then just go from there. You can afford to be more lenient with hair that you intend to continue cutting frequently. :flower: