PDA

View Full Version : Longhair with hairphobia?

Chamy
January 20th, 2010, 03:33 PM
All my life i have had a strange irrational fear of single hairs thats not attached to a head. It really freaks me out when i get one on me, and it's even worse when its a wet hair. :run:
I have had waist-length hair in the past, but have starter over again and i'm now between apl and bsl.
My question(s) is: Does anyone else have this problem, and how does it work with your long hair/hairgoal? Do you have any tips as to how i can deal with stray hairs/prevent them?

Strange question maybe, but it really freaks me out, and i really want to know if anyone else has this little oddity. :o

young&reckless
January 20th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Lots and lots of updos, that way shed hairs stay with the rest until you wash again.

terryn
January 20th, 2010, 04:07 PM
I am not exactly afraid of stray hairs, but I do compulsively pick them off of things/people, I really don't like them floating around, and I am disgusted if I find them in food. :(

Watching with interest. :D

MandyBeth
January 20th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Have cats? Not sure, can't say my hairs have ever bothered me.

Hrrmmm, I notice more shed hairs in the morning - in the drain or comb - than I do in my combs at work. I can't remember the last time I had to pick hair out of my work combs. Maybe if you can control the shed?

jaine
January 20th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Maybe having long hair will help! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flooding_(psychology)

It's not possible to totally prevent shedding; it's a normal part of the growth cycle.

trillcat
January 20th, 2010, 04:19 PM
I am also a picker of other peoples hair, lol. I have gone up to complete strangers and picked stray hairs off them, it just really bothers me. I ask first of course, I don't just go picking at people without permission. :p
The only thing about stray hairs on me that gets me going is if you have one on the back of your arm somewhere that is tickling you, and can't find the darn thing!!

jasper
January 20th, 2010, 04:24 PM
One hair wouldn't freak me out, but hair balls do. Sometimes they show up in strange places- the clothes dryer can collect stray hairs, ball them up and deposit them in my sock, for instance. That would send me raving. Or a hair ball in a drain. I can't handle finding hair balls in the drain. I think hair balls contributed to my motivation for a drastic chop of 12 inches several years ago.

sft88
January 20th, 2010, 04:34 PM
When I was younger I had the same thing! I would get shivers and gag if there was wet hair on me or in the tub. I just reason with myself and got over it but I still don't like wet hair on me, so I just rinse with cold water.

bumblebums
January 20th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Maybe having long hair will help! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flooding_(psychology)

Hehe

Actually, the OP might benefit from looking into cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), which is probably the most effective therapy for phobias. It works by gradually introducing the stimulus under controlled conditions, while simultaneously teaching the patient to control and monitor thinking, breathing, and other responses.

I can't say I suffer from this myself, but a lot of people find hair that is not attached to a scalp disgusting, so this could be an exaggerated example of that. Under one theory of disgust, organic things are more disgusting than inorganic things, and organic things that are "misplaced" are most disgusting of all. Hair on a head is fine, but hair in your food can be horrific, especially if it's not your own. It doesn't matter if it's freshly shampooed.

So yeah, it makes sense to me.

Chamy
January 20th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Maybe having long hair will help!
I guess, it will be like growing in to a therapy-session, haha. :p

maybe if you can control the shed?
Wow, can you do that?

I can't handle finding hair balls in the drain.
Somehow hairballs are more or less OK for me. I think it is because they are more visible, and far less common to come across, haha.

I would get shivers and gag if there was wet hair on me or in the tub. I just reason with myself and got over it but I still don't like wet hair on me, so I just rinse with cold water.
That is exactly the feeling that i get! Going to a public swimmingpool is impossible for me, if i see a hair in the pool i have to get up, shower end get the crap out of there, all in one second.

MandyBeth
January 20th, 2010, 04:51 PM
No, you can't PREVENT a shed - and it depends on your normal growth cycle I assume. But if I "shake" my hair out in the morning, I personally don't really have any shed hairs during the day. But I might not be noticing them - and my fine hair hides easily if it's the natural mouse color. It's not so good at hiding in henna red.

But I've got a co-worker who can't stand stray hairs either, and I never catch him picking them off my back or chair, so I don't think I shed as much once I leave my hair be.

curlylocks85
January 24th, 2010, 08:51 AM
I certainly do. I have had this phobia since I can remember. I cannot stand little hairs in the shower. I refuse to take baths because of this as well as not wanting to lay in my own filth.

I also cannot stand stray hairs in my food. If I find one, I have to stop eating even if it was just my mom’s hair. It is gross and it freaks me out.

So no, you are not the only one.

terryn
January 30th, 2010, 01:23 AM
I am also a picker of other peoples hair, lol. I have gone up to complete strangers and picked stray hairs off them, it just really bothers me. I ask first of course, I don't just go picking at people without permission. :p

I have done this (without permission).

More than once.