PDA

View Full Version : Scalp problem?

Maid of Astolat
January 20th, 2010, 10:55 AM
I've had this problem for a few years now...and I've never been able to find a solution. In the last little while it seems to last longer when it does happen....

My scalp gets very itchy...sometimes unbearably so. And there are little...scab like lesions(for lack of a better description)...that have this sort of burning sensation when I scratch them. Occasionly they bleed and when you part hair to look at them they always appear red. There is also this white residue that is rather hard to explain, rather like dandruff flakes, but almost moist (I know, sounds disgusting). I've tried numerous shampoos/conditioners and the symptoms don't seem to correlate with the changing of brand/type. I *THINK* that it could be making my hair thinner than it should be (note that I don't have thin hair...but it seems as if it should be thicker) and causing slower growth. My scalp is naturally oily...so it has nothing to do with dryness.

Any ideas out there? I'm having a rather difficult time batteling this enemy as I have absolutly no idea what it is. Help!

Dreams_in_Pink
January 20th, 2010, 10:59 AM
I had the exact same problem. since I started using non-SLS shampoos i got rid of itchiness. I'm still having some dandruff/flakes, but at least there's no more scabs and red gunk inside my nails when i scratch my head (eww)

SHELIAANN1969
January 20th, 2010, 11:07 AM
I had the same issues, I started using the non SLS shampoos too, but I was still getting the dryness, I finally stopped using all shampoo and conditioner that had synthetic fragrance (they are scented with essential oils or plant products instead) and I have almost sompletely stopped getting the bumps, itchiness, scabbiness and bleeding (from picking and scratching)

I do get a few little bumps every so often, but nothing like before.

Oh, you can have completely greasy hair and still have a dry scalp. I used vast amounts of oils and it still didn't help the dry scalp, it gave temporary relief, but not long term relief from the bumps and dryness.

Try not to wash your scalp/hair as often and hopefully that should start to clear some of it up, I don't know your routine, but I used to wash with harsh shampoos daily, sometimes twice a day, it's a wonder I had any hair left at all. :bigeyes:

Kirzja
January 20th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Your problem sounds like skin irritation to me.
I have experienced the same thing, to a lesser degree.

Many shampoos contain harsh ingredients that dry out your scalp, such as sodium laureth sulfate.
In most cases, this is what causes scalp problems like itches / little wounds / dandruff / oily scalp.
You could try an all-natural shampoo that is less agressive to the skin.

Some people do not use any shampoo, but wash their hair with conditioner only (CO method)
There are also ways to clean your hair with baking soda and apple cider vinegar.

After your skin calms down, your hair will probably need less washing because your scalp will produce less oil.

I hope this helps.

pinchbeck
January 20th, 2010, 11:11 AM
I get those dandruff like flakes too and have 'em right now from experimenting with a new shampoo routine which consists of a mixture of shampoo, conditioner, and water.

The "stuff" on your scalp you've described sounds like dry sebum. There are a few posts about this and some describe the stuff as being a white to yellow powdery colour. I still cannot figure out why some of us get it. It is itchy and after a scritch or two it can bee seen trapped under a finger nail. Yes...it sounds gross.

I don't know what your scab like lesions are, but I get one every now and then. I find when I stay on top of my shampoo routine my scalp behaves better. When I change products my scalp puffs with anger. Currently, I am using a shampoo that is fragrance and sulfate free. I sometimes add rosemary or tea tree oil to calm the itchies down. These oils seem to help.

Maid of Astolat
January 20th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Wow! Thanks for all the prompt replies. Kirzja, you mentioned washing only with vinegar or baking soda....how is this done? Is there any particular method, or does one just use in the place of shampoo?

lexiflowers
January 20th, 2010, 02:16 PM
My head gets like this sometimes. Though I don't feel I'm losing any hair.

It always seems to be when I'm stressed, and I get varying stress-related rashes elsewhere on my body so I guess it isn't surprising that I should get one on my head too. :shrug:

Do you have any allergies that you know of?

Peter
January 20th, 2010, 02:52 PM
I've had this problem for the longest time too. When I stopped using SLS shampoo and started CO washing, it got a bit better. I also started stretching my washes at this point and right now I wash weekly. I switched to Suave Naturals conditioner and the itchiness has gone away a bit more, but it's still there.

I can't describe the itchiness easily. It's like... most of the time my scalp feels fine, but every 2-3 days it gets unbearably itchy. Naturally, I scratch it for a few minutes (I know, I know...) and it goes away for another few days. I get the white/pale yellow "flakes" too and I'm pretty sure it's sebum since it feels waxy.

I'm going to try WO at some point to see if it fixes the problem. Maybe try that?

karli
January 20th, 2010, 04:01 PM
I have had that problem too. With some shampoos it was a bit better, with other worse. I also had problem with oily scalp and dry lengths.

Co has helped a lot, but some conditioners are too drying, or if it is some kind of sensitivity, so I get flakey from them as well.

That is why I started to make my own conditioner. By eliminating perfumes and having as few ingredients as possible, my scalp is happy. I don`t think I could go WO though, even if I admire those who does.

Perhaps you should see a doctor, so you can be sure it is not psoriasis or "real" dandruff. I don`t think CO can cure that...

Nae
January 20th, 2010, 04:59 PM
I have had that problem as well, the itchy scabs were really getting to me. I have just stumbled across the Mud and Clay shampoo bar from Chagrin Valley soaps and I haven't had itchies in like 6 days now, which is heaven even in the midst of a miserable cold that I am fighting. I finish it off with an apple cider vinegar rinse, which makes my hair all happy and prettty. Hope that helps.

angelic
January 20th, 2010, 09:32 PM
I've had this problem for a few years now...and I've never been able to find a solution. In the last little while it seems to last longer when it does happen....

My scalp gets very itchy...sometimes unbearably so. And there are little...scab like lesions(for lack of a better description)...that have this sort of burning sensation when I scratch them. Occasionly they bleed and when you part hair to look at them they always appear red. There is also this white residue that is rather hard to explain, rather like dandruff flakes, but almost moist (I know, sounds disgusting). I've tried numerous shampoos/conditioners and the symptoms don't seem to correlate with the changing of brand/type. I *THINK* that it could be making my hair thinner than it should be (note that I don't have thin hair...but it seems as if it should be thicker) and causing slower growth. My scalp is naturally oily...so it has nothing to do with dryness.

Any ideas out there? I'm having a rather difficult time batteling this enemy as I have absolutly no idea what it is. Help!

seborrheic dermatitis

pelicano
January 21st, 2010, 02:56 AM
Yep, that's what I thought too. I have it, and keep it under control with glycerine and being careful what conditioner I use. Oh and fish oil capsules internally.

Dreams_in_Pink
January 21st, 2010, 03:01 AM
Yep, that's what I thought too. I have it, and keep it under control with glycerine and being careful what conditioner I use. Oh and fish oil capsules internally.

How do you use glycerine? and what kind of conditioner do you use?

pelicano
January 21st, 2010, 03:35 AM
How do you use glycerine? and what kind of conditioner do you use?

I slap it on neat all around my hairline and on the scalp overnight, and wash it off with just water in the morning. It's a bit of a pain, but does keep things under control. It can sting a bit when there is a lot of inflammation, but not when it's improving. I also use a little glycerine in a water spray as a leave in when I've rinsed out my conditioner.

With conditioner, for me it's just a case of trial and error, as my scalp hates all conditioners really (even just putting it on the ends of my hair), but when your hair is as dry as mine you can't really go without!! I just go for as natural a conditioner as I can find - there are no specific brands I'd recommend.

MandaMom2Three
January 21st, 2010, 05:40 AM
sounds like what I have. I've tries SLS free products, I've tried herb washing (so there would be no fragrances or ANY synthetic chemicals at all) and the ONLY thing that has worked for me is henna. I've tried several times to stop hennaing but eventually the itchies are just too much to bear and I do it again. Have to have it on the scalp (and it has to be pure henna, adding just a little to conditioner or something doesn't cut it) for a minimum of 3 hours or it doesn't work as well. After that I'm itch free for a couple months. It sure would be nice to find something that worked and DIDN'T colour hair though :rolleyes:

Dreams_in_Pink
January 21st, 2010, 05:52 AM
sounds like what I have. I've tries SLS free products, I've tried herb washing (so there would be no fragrances or ANY synthetic chemicals at all) and the ONLY thing that has worked for me is henna. I've tried several times to stop hennaing but eventually the itchies are just too much to bear and I do it again. Have to have it on the scalp (and it has to be pure henna, adding just a little to conditioner or something doesn't cut it) for a minimum of 3 hours or it doesn't work as well. After that I'm itch free for a couple months. It sure would be nice to find something that worked and DIDN'T colour hair though :rolleyes:

that's very interesting. henna gave me the worst dandruff i've ever had in life :shrug: I guess when people say everyone reacts different, they really mean it.

tiare_petal
January 21st, 2010, 06:21 AM
My scalp used to be smelly and a little sore but stopped to be so when I used soapwort decotion as a shampoo. Perhaps it could be helpful for you too :)

angelthadiva
January 21st, 2010, 07:08 AM
Is there a way to search the Reviews for sls free shampoo? I think this may be my issue too.

Maid of Astolat
January 21st, 2010, 08:18 AM
Interesting....looked it up and it sounds exactly like what I have. Cradle cap for adults...

I used the BS last night to wash in the place of shampoo. It burned like the dickens, but felt so much cleaner afterwards. It's a tad itchy this morning, but nothing I can't ignore and there is very little pain...this prolly wont be a permanent fix, but right now it appears to be helping a lot.

But I do have another question about the BS....I normally wash my hair every two-three days...should I go to washing with the BS or a vinegar rinse every day until this starts really improving? Or would that be over-washing it?

pelicano
January 21st, 2010, 11:54 AM
that's very interesting. henna gave me the worst dandruff i've ever had in life :shrug: I guess when people say everyone reacts different, they really mean it.

Definitely. ACV is supposed to be good for seborrheic dermatitis but it makes mine so much worse! Would be great if we were all the same, wouldn't it?! :rolleyes::)

Backliteyes
January 21st, 2010, 02:00 PM
Is there a way to search the Reviews for sls free shampoo? I think this may be my issue too.
I don't know if there's a way to search for reviews of sls-free shampoos, but I can at least tell you about some I've used:

Jessicurl Hair Clensing Cream/Jessicurl Gentle Lather Shampoo. HCC if you want more moisture, GLS if you want less. I've used both and prefer the HCC. They are both SLS free. The only problem is they are expensive, and in almost every place you have to have it shipped to you. I find it worth it. To illustrate how moisturizing the HCC is, I also use it to wash my face pretty regularly, and it dries my skin out less than the face wash for sensitive skin that I have.

Giovanni shampoos, I've personally used Tea Tree Triple Treat. I find this drying because of the Tea Tree oil, but a lot of people like it. If you don't like the TTTT try some of their other shampoos, I believe they are all SLS free (read your labels though). This can be found at Walmart and Target, and aren't too expensive so it's a good option.

Kinky Curly Come Clean is SLS free. I've only been able to get it at Whole Foods (there are A LOT of SLS free options at Whole Foods including Audrey Organics, Kiss My Face, sooo many others I can't remember the names of) though, or online. It's less drying than GTTT to me, but more drying than the Jessicurl. It's also somewhat expensive.

There's lots of other options out there (Burts Bees too), keep looking and asking around!

Saldana
January 21st, 2010, 02:06 PM
I have had exactly that problem for as long as I can remember. I've tried just about everything I could think of.....dandruff shampoo, tar shampoo, baking soda, vinegar rinse, Scalpicin, Conditioner-only washes......I just started using a SLS-free shampoo, and I'm really really hoping it will help.

terryn
January 21st, 2010, 03:12 PM
But I do have another question about the BS....I normally wash my hair every two-three days...should I go to washing with the BS or a vinegar rinse every day until this starts really improving? Or would that be over-washing it?

Usually every day would be over washing it, and your scalp might benefit from not getting it every day, but you will probably need to experiment around with it until you find what works for you. You might want to start with just washing as often as necessary for now and see if it seems like washing more frequently would help.

One note about bs washing is that is dried my hair out after about a year of washing every 2-3 days, so you might want to look for a conditioner that you can use on just your length that is free of fragrances, and maybe has tea tree oil in it, which can help with infections. That way, whatever gets on your scalp will hopefully not cause the infection to get worse.

angelthadiva
January 21st, 2010, 09:07 PM
Backliteyes: Thank you for sharing your experiences! I did try to search in the review section, but it only works if people who have reviewed add those tags...Unless I want to wade through each and every review. :/

wickedgood
January 21st, 2010, 09:25 PM
I had a biology professor who went off about how dandruff was actually a fungus and people should rinse their scalps with an apple cider vinegar solution to keep it in check. I dunno if it would help your problem or not, but I don't think it would hurt at all to try! It's good for closing the hair cuticle and making the hair shine.

Weird about my professor though. He also mentioned coconut oil several times for use as a pomade (rather than store-bought stuff). Pretty funny that a bald guy was an advocate for many of the same techniques shared amongst longhairs ;)

Dreams_in_Pink
January 22nd, 2010, 02:07 AM
I had a biology professor who went off about how dandruff was actually a fungus and people should rinse their scalps with an apple cider vinegar solution to keep it in check.

I heard that one and will be trying it in my next hair wash :)

pelicano
January 22nd, 2010, 03:38 AM
Yes, ACV is supposed to help. Makes mine way worse though, for some reason!

Dreams_in_Pink
January 22nd, 2010, 03:56 AM
Yes, ACV is supposed to help. Makes mine way worse though, for some reason!

maybe that's because of the brand and quality of ACV? when i made a scalp treatment with %100 natural EVOO it cleared my dandruff completely, whereas regular store-bought olive oils made it worse.

pelicano
January 22nd, 2010, 05:27 AM
I've used all sorts (including organic). White vinegar has the same effect! Weird...

Holly9192
January 22nd, 2010, 05:39 AM
When my head gets like this i scrub it with baking soda (to get all the stuff off) and then pour strait vinegar over it. It helps for quite a while.

angelthadiva
January 22nd, 2010, 09:46 AM
I had a biology professor who went off about how dandruff was actually a fungus and people should rinse their scalps with an apple cider vinegar solution to keep it in check. I dunno if it would help your problem or not, but I don't think it would hurt at all to try! It's good for closing the hair cuticle and making the hair shine.

Weird about my professor though. He also mentioned coconut oil several times for use as a pomade (rather than store-bought stuff). Pretty funny that a bald guy was an advocate for many of the same techniques shared amongst longhairs ;)

Well, considering some of us use hoo-ha cream on their heads to clear up the "adult cradle cap"; that is a form of a yeast infection; not quite fungal, but along the same lines...I can see his point.

That he was advocating certain products; maybe he lost all of his by doing wrong stuff :lol:

YesitsReal
January 28th, 2010, 04:06 AM
This sounds like Seborrheic Dermatitis, though I'm not a dermatologist, and you probably need to see one before making a diagnosis. I've had SD since I was a young teenager. It's caused by yeast overgrowth, and it usually occurs on the face, around the hairline, or on the crown of the head. For me, it's mostly on the hairline at my temples and the nape of my neck. It comes up in red, itchy, very flaky (but not dry) areas, sometimes in rings (it's common for fungi to grow in ring shapes). If I get an outbreak (like if I switch to a shampoo my scalp doesn't like), the itching drives me absolutely crazy. The problem is that SD doesn't actually have a cure. Mine has been helped tremendously, though, by using weak vinegar rinses (to make the pH of the scalp unfriendly to the yeasties) and going off SLS. You kind of have to find out what works for you. Sometimes switching to a gentler cleanser makes it worse because you're sort of 'allowing' the yeast to grow. Read up on it and take some of the suggestions made on reliable websites (like the Mayo Clinic website). Also, like I said, go to the doctor so that you can get an accurate diagnosis. If it's not SD, it might not be helped by SD remedies.

Merewen
January 28th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Giovanni shampoos... This can be found at Walmart and Target, and aren't too expensive so it's a good option.

Giovanni I've found is a ton cheaper in my local health food store than at the big chains, so shop around.

Madame J
January 28th, 2010, 01:07 PM
There is a Sulfate-Free list linked in the VITs thread. Then you can check reviews for shampoos that sound interesting, or brands that you recognize as being in your local stores.

It does sound a lot like irritation, so cutting out common irritants like sulfates, fragrance, and parabens, may be a good way to go.

motormuffin
January 28th, 2010, 05:12 PM
I use Neutrogena TSal once or twice a week and it stops the itchies and helps clear up scalp problems.

roxyhead
February 4th, 2010, 04:46 AM
I've gotta recommend the TSal, too, or any other local brand with salicylic acid in it - I was able to find some stuff on clearance for $2 a bottle, and though it doesn't help with all the irritation, it does get rid of the excess sebum when nothing else ever has - though I've yet to try the infamous "hoo-ha cream". Vinegar of any sort smells so bad to me it makes me want to heave, I've tried using sulfate free shampoos, and COing just makes things worse. I've got really hard water, so CV shampoo bars didn't work too well, either.