PDA

View Full Version : how do I find a "long hair friendly" salon...I dont trust ANYONE..

redneckprincess
January 20th, 2010, 09:57 AM
to not cut more then Im asking for "even though it NEEDS it"
I dont want to drive far or pay out the....arm..
I called the local lady, I thought might do well...im scared..

now I may decide to get 2" trimmed off.. but I want it done like a quarter inch at a time...and I will take my tape measuer with me..IM NOT KIDDING!!
now Im still wating a while before this is done just trying to gather alot of information and courage

My hair has JUST started to feel like its getting long (for me) and I have 8" of bleached and damaged ends that need to go...s.l.o.w.l.y...but fast enough so the good hair dosent go bad. Ive decided since APL-BSL is the shortest timeframe for me I will use IT insted of BSL as a resting..maintience point..I may maintain for 6 months...grow for 6 months (or more) and stop and maintain again for some time untill its gone...we will see how it goes...and how I make it through this

oh I could go on and on but I know your sick of hearing about it...so I'll shut up now and get what I came here for..information on how to find a long hair friendly salon..or stylist

SimplyViki
January 20th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Have you thought of going to a barber instead? I've heard that suggestion tossed around here some, but I haven't tried myself. I know some people say that they tend not to take as many liberties with styling as a hair stylist might. The barber's job is cutting, so he'll cut what you want, presumably without taking creative license on your hair. The stylist's job is styling, my guess is that's what they'll want to be doing.

Torrin Paige
January 20th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Find a barber. The old school kind that mostly deals with men's hair. I have found that barbers are the way to go for two reasons. The first being that when you say take two inches off, they actually know what two inches means (not 5, 6, or what have you.) The second being that they are not there as a stylist to try to talk you into the latest trends to test out their mad skills. They are there to cut off what the customer asks for.

When I go to a barber (which I haven't had to in awhile, as my hubby now trims it for me) I go with my hair freshly washed and in a bun. As I'm waiting for a chair, I take it down, comb it through, and am all prepped and ready to go. I'm sure someone might take offense to this, but I've found that men (the barber kind), as a rule, are more willing to give you exactly what you want because they seem to like women to have longer hair. I know that's not true to every single one out there, but it has been my experience. Also? I've gotten to listen to some great "old guy" stories of lost loves who had a glorious mane of long hair. Those are so awesome. I admit to loving old guys.

Oh, also, also? It'll be cheap! By going in wet, getting your trim, and bunning it back up, it shouldn't cost more than five bucks or so (without tip, but of course, you should tip as you see fit.)

ETA: Hey, Viki, great minds and all that. :)

kdaniels8811
January 20th, 2010, 10:06 AM
I was going to suggest a barber for the same reasons. Good luck, Angie, we are all pulling for you!

cmnt831
January 20th, 2010, 10:06 AM
My first thought would be to ask friends and family who have long hair who they go to or who they trust. Other than that, maybe ask people you see around town who have long hair that looks nice?

If you can't/don't want to do the above, by all means, take the tape measure and keep a sharp eye on everything the local lady is doing. It would probably actually be helpful to her if you gave her a concrete example to go by.

redneckprincess
January 20th, 2010, 10:49 AM
I never thought Barber because to me barber = clippers and theres no way!!!...its a thought though
Im going to go in asking what they thing 1" of hair looks like, then pull out my tape measure, lol

none of my friends or family have "long" hair to speek of

I wish someone here could do it, lol

cmnt831
January 20th, 2010, 10:56 AM
[quote=redneckprincess;942981]
Im going to go in asking what they thing 1" of hair looks like, then pull out my tape measure, lol

Do this - lol!! Actually, when my grandma would cut my and my sister's hair when we were little, she would measure it, stick "hair tape" on the measurement and use that as her guide to trim.

wimitlee
January 20th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Can you do a self-trim using Feye's method?

rexy
January 20th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Ok heres what I've found.
1. DON'T let them wash your hair! They will wash it, wring it out to dry and then take a cheap comb and rip it through your hair. When you ask them not to they will repeatedly tell you it is not damaging. Either wash your hair at home and come in wet or ask them to dry cut it
2. Make a big deal. Yes the might think you are insane but just keep saying how nervous and worried you are. Make pinched faces lol I did this and the hair dresser cut of just a tiny tiny bit. Like almost nothing. She was really freaked out about cutting too much so it was great!

(also I didn't go to the salon by my own accord. I did it as a favor to a bride when I was a brides maid. )

xoxophelia
January 20th, 2010, 11:30 AM
It is too bad I'm not in michigan.. I cut hair (but pretty much just for friends). Once a gf of my was cutting another gf's bf's hair... (confusing sorry) and took a literal chunk out of the side of his hair all the way down to the scalp. That was tricky to fix...

Do you know anybody who can manage to cut a straight line? Barber sounds like a decent idea to me as well.. I may consider doing that.

Isilme
January 20th, 2010, 11:32 AM
I agree with the first point but not the second. That will just make the hairdresser nervous and she might get your cut wrong.
Bring the measuring tape, say two inches and show how much that is. Watch her like a hawk and speak up if she makes anything wrong. Only pay if you got what you asked for.
And be VERY clear with what you want.

1. DON'T let them wash your hair! They will wash it, wring it out to dry and then take a cheap comb and rip it through your hair. When you ask them not to they will repeatedly tell you it is not damaging. Either wash your hair at home and come in wet or ask them to dry cut it
2. Make a big deal. Yes the might think you are insane but just keep saying how nervous and worried you are. Make pinched faces lol I did this and the hair dresser cut of just a tiny tiny bit. Like almost nothing. She was really freaked out about cutting too much so it was great!

(also I didn't go to the salon by my own accord. I did it as a favor to a bride when I was a brides maid. )

Madame J
January 20th, 2010, 11:37 AM
I second the barber shop. First, they usually just mist your hair with water before cutting it. Second, especially if you go to a male barber, they are usually so unused to cutting a woman's hair that they do their best to do exactly what you ask for. So if you go in and say, "I want exactly 1" off the bottom, no more," they will do exactly what you say without trying to give you layers or highlights or 5 different styling products along with it. And it's cheap -- I had a woman spend an hour and a half cutting 1" off the bottom of my iii-thickness hair (she made her sections way smaller than they needed to be) and still only charged me the reduced, kids' rate (I was 12).

redneckprincess
January 20th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Can you do a self-trim using Feye's method?
I WISH, its just not long enough yet...I tried waiting until it was...but in the long run I think I can get there quicker by starting this process now...and being done with it completly and ready to grow long when it it all over

lol I plan to...I am going to see her for an eyebrow appt and start the Im scared and wanting to trust you acting bit...trim it, oh nevermind..well just a bit..kinda thing...actually I already did a bit when I took my son in a couple weeks ago to get his done. I also talked to her some about natural hair care, I dont know if it means much but she hennas her neighbors hair all the time...and a friend of mine told me a nice story of how she went to see her and asked her to chop all her hair off and the lady was like "No, hunny thats not what you want, lets start with a little trim" and she walked out with hair (i dont know how long, I'll ask) it helps that she has +BSL hair...a

Stormcast
January 20th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Hmm...the only thing I cant think of is maybe finding a stylist that is a friend of the family? I'm not sure if you have one...I hope this goes well for you!

redneckprincess
January 20th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Hmm...the only thing I cant think of is maybe finding a stylist that is a friend of the family? I'm not sure if you have one...I hope this goes well for you!
thank you..me too, lol

MandyBeth
January 20th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Yup, good old barber - the ones that are the old man's gossip club often are the ones who are so good at listening to "1/2" no more" Plus, for me at least, what I say as a 1/2" often is a very carefully done 1/2" and I'm being asked "Is this where you'd like it cut to?" The other nice part - they have good scissors kept nice and sharp, and they don't come near my hair with a pair of thinning shears.

I've also found for growing out hair - the male barbers are a lot better with dealing with the ii/iii hair, not sure why. I think they don't do anything fancy with it, so you can easily repeat it at home without a 3rd hand and 12 bottles of goo. Also, they aren't as prone to washing hair before styling - if they are the hair washing type, they do so AFTER the cut to get all the short little clippings off, and they don't blink if I don't want that done.

Pixna
January 20th, 2010, 12:57 PM
RNP, I've used Feye's method at various lengths, including much shorter than your hair currently is. I would HIGHLY recommend it! I love not having to fret over going to a salon, and in the long run, it saves a LOT of money -- the only investment is the initial cost of the shears (that's it!). And when you're done, you can tip YOURSELF (not the stylist)!

If you have any questions about how to do it, fire away! :)

teela1978
January 20th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Your husband would probably be able to manage the blunt-cut via feye's method on you. And it'd be free (or the cost of haircutting scissors). Or a friend if the husband isn't that daring.

Pumpkin
January 20th, 2010, 02:22 PM
I agree with the others here. Either find a barber or do the Feye's Method. I have a female friend who swears by the barber she has cut her hair. Not only is the barber precise with what she wants, but the cost is not expensive at all.

A couple of weeks ago I did the Feye's method for the first time. I found it to be very easy, and my hair is not long by any means. But after not cutting for a year, I needed to clean up the end. Worked like a dream.

Good luck in whatever you decide. :)

spidermom
January 20th, 2010, 02:51 PM
You could go into a salon or two (or three or ...) and observe until you see a stylist you like. Then have a consultation with her/him.

I used to do this. I'd pretend I was looking through style books and say I was thinking about a new style if anybody asked.

redneckprincess
January 20th, 2010, 05:01 PM
You could go into a salon or two (or three or ...) and observe until you see a stylist you like. Then have a consultation with her/him.

I used to do this. I'd pretend I was looking through style books and say I was thinking about a new style if anybody asked.
great idea!!
I will check out the barber shop, I do agree that they could be better for all the described resions, I dont want anything "fancy" or "hip" done to my hair, so Thank you so much I will check that out

MandyBeth
January 20th, 2010, 07:01 PM
The "best" part to me about the barber - short hair or not, I always hear stories in the shop about how the men remember their first love's hair, or how pretty the henna red is on me, it's what his wife loved to do to her hair and so many just like having a younger person come in - no matter the gender - who is willing to listen to their history. It just makes a bad day seem so much better to be told by 4 men that your hair is soft, shiny and pretty - no matter how much I'm hating it.

Also - most barbers seem to be really good on the 1/8 - 1/4 - 1/2" measurements. Men don't tend to grow their hair out so long, so they get shorter length cut off more often. Vs a stylist who has been trained to bleach all hair to white blonde and cut in lots of layers.

I've read up on Feye's Method, but I'm too chicken myself to do my own full trim.

Besides, I like the attention, I'll shamelessly admit to that.

Longlocks3
January 20th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Too bad you don't want to drive far. I cut my hair with the Feye method and I would only cut what you wanted! Alas, Grand Rapids is a drive from you!

Angelathediva once offered to trim my hair, if I wanted, at our minimeet. She was so super nice! Since she wasn't sure if I had someone I trusted to do it, she offered. Isn't that so nice?

jojo
January 20th, 2010, 09:32 PM
I was going to barbers too, they hate cutting ladies hair and always cut less than you ask for and there cheap as chips too!

redneckprincess
January 21st, 2010, 07:37 AM
Too bad you don't want to drive far. I cut my hair with the Feye method and I would only cut what you wanted! Alas, Grand Rapids is a drive from you!

Angelathediva once offered to trim my hair, if I wanted, at our minimeet. She was so super nice! Since she wasn't sure if I had someone I trusted to do it, she offered. Isn't that so nice?

Grand Rapids is about a 2 hour drive for me...but If I cant find someone....lol

I was going to barbers too, they hate cutting ladies hair and always cut less than you ask for and there cheap as chips too!

thats what my husband said when I asked him who his favorite barber was and why..that the babrer may not even want to bother with a "longhair" girl...

I read the faye self trim when I first registered with LHC, but my hair was wayyy short and I was avoiding sissors like they were the plague. but now is diffrent, I will go read it again (if I can find it) but I still think I want someone else to do the trimming this time, I dont truse myself either..I wound up cutting off almost a years worth of growth last year when I ment to trim "just a bit" no measuring was involved...I know better now that a 1" of hair = 2months worth of growth...but still..I think the "pampering" would be nice too, lol

angelthadiva
January 21st, 2010, 07:54 AM
I never thought Barber because to me barber = clippers and theres no way!!!...its a thought though

none of my friends or family have "long" hair to speek of

I wish someone here could do it, lol

Longlocks3 beat me too it, but seriously, RNP, there are a few LHC'ers close by you in the A2 area who I would trust to trim mine. I don't want to put them on blast here, but if you check the community meet threads, you can figure out who I'm talking about...And I'm thinking of 2-3 specifically. You could plan a mini meet and take pictures of course! :D

For years, I had DH do it; until I had the nerve to do Feye's Method myself...I never thought of a barber, but I agree, that would be a fantastic idea!

BTW, Longlocks3's ends were gorgeous! Thick, full and even, she didn't need a trim at all ;)

ETA: If by chance, you can't find a LHC'er close, I'd be willing :D We could make an afternoon of it! Saturdays are best for me :)

Longlocks3
January 21st, 2010, 01:19 PM
Longlocks3 beat me too it, but seriously, RNP, there are a few LHC'ers close by you in the A2 area who I would trust to trim mine. I don't want to put them on blast here, but if you check the community meet threads, you can figure out who I'm talking about...And I'm thinking of 2-3 specifically. You could plan a mini meet and take pictures of course! :D

For years, I had DH do it; until I had the nerve to do Feye's Method myself...I never thought of a barber, but I agree, that would be a fantastic idea!

BTW, Longlocks3's ends were gorgeous! Thick, full and even, she didn't need a trim at all ;)

ETA: If by chance, you can't find a LHC'er close, I'd be willing :D We could make an afternoon of it! Saturdays are best for me :)

A mini trim meet? :cheese: LOL

angelthadiva
January 21st, 2010, 09:07 PM
Works for me :joy:

manderly
January 21st, 2010, 09:23 PM
Another vote for the barber. Another nice thing is they tend to cut dry, which is very nice if you want just a blunt cut. They sit you down, bust out the comb and scissors, and snip snip snip you're done.

They're also used to cutting very small amounts at a time, it's hard to be scissor happy when most your clients are men.

And considering your hair is still fairly short, they won't be perturbed at the extra length :flower:

redneckprincess
January 22nd, 2010, 06:51 AM
Works for me :joy:
I'll let you know ☺

Silver Strands
January 22nd, 2010, 07:11 AM
I cut my own layers out using Feye's method and my collarbone as a guide.
First, sitting my fingers on top of my collarbone when it was shorter and then
placing them underneath the collarbones as it grew.

I stayed there until I cut all the layers out.
Plus, it's a flattering length for shorter hair.

You could also use a tape measure and with your hair parted in two and pulled to the front, find a point on your face or head and measure down from there.
Repeat on the other side.

You can do it yourself and you will have complete control.