PDA

View Full Version : I think it is time for a trim- ugh!

marikamt
January 20th, 2010, 08:13 AM
I was really hoping to make it to my goal (waist) before trimming.... I am about 2 inches away, and my ends are getting snarly and harder to comb thru.... I think I need to go in for a trim.

I have been a member here for 6 months, lurking a little longer, so I know the ends are not as healthy as they could have been....... I am going to get an inch trimmed off and keep growing... this will add 1-2 months to the timeline of reaching my goal.

a little bummed about it...... but it will make for nicer/ healthier hair in the long run......

GoddesJourney
January 20th, 2010, 09:21 AM
This is very true. Being happy with your hair is important at any length. However, try a thorough S&D first. This has saved me from a trim or two in the past.

jivete
January 20th, 2010, 10:10 AM
I've done some small trims over the last couple of months and while I hate doing them, my hem was looking like poo. Our goals are the same and we're at about the same length, so there's not much longer to go. If you trim a little now, you'll feel better about your hair and in a year, you'll still be at waist.

I'd go for it, but I never trim a full inch off. I just trim a little off every month. Makes me feel better somehow.

kdaniels8811
January 20th, 2010, 10:12 AM
You might just need to clarify to get the gunk (build up of shampoo, oil, what-have-you) off the ends. If not, try a catnip tea soak. Or, just get it trimmed if you feel the need. Just my two cents...

ycelong
January 20th, 2010, 11:02 AM
I am so with you. Mine is "V-ing" in the back and I think my ends look "thin". I have been trying not to trim until I reach waist. Havent trimmed since mid-June 2009.
I am currently stuck in between BSL and waist. And it seems like it is taking FOREVER to reach waist!!!
If that is a current pic - your ends are WAY better than mine.

pinchbeck
January 20th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Trims can make a difference in how your hair feels, looks, and behaves. But, why not start by getting 1/2" trimmed off? If it isn't enough you can always take the other half and inch of later!

motormuffin
January 20th, 2010, 11:09 AM
I'm waiting until Sept for a trim and haven't since last May. I did a clarify and then a protein treatment and that helped a ton.

marikamt
January 20th, 2010, 03:52 PM
As much as I hate to say it, I do think the trim is what I need...

This is not a rash decision, and I will wait the 2 week rule.... I have done some S&D, found some split ends... nothing OMG, but a few.... I don't think it is build-up as I clarify pretty regularly (used to be monthly, which may have been too much, so last time I went 2 months, I am about a month in)

I don't use product daily, soap bars and cone free condish, wash 3x a week........ I henna, light oiling w/ CO, sometimes Shea Butter or my cone-free regular condish as a leave in......

As much as I hate it, I think it will be better in the long run.......

Although, reading RedneckPrincess thread, I may try a barber for a a really, really small trim.......

I hate how deep my V is getting too, so this would move me slowly in the direction of getting it back to a U

Arniky
January 22nd, 2010, 04:37 AM
Hi
having a trim if it helps in easier miantenance is okay, with good care the waist goal can be achieved.

suicides_eve
January 22nd, 2010, 05:10 AM
I am debating the same thing and I agree with the others who say start off small. No since in removing large chunk if only a little bit can correct it :)

FrannyG
January 22nd, 2010, 05:38 AM
Don't be afraid of a little trim. It grows back before you know it, and it will feel so much better. I know you'll be thrilled with your soft and fresh new ends. :) Having a little trim can be so rejuvenating, and it's not as though you're "giving up".

Best of luck to you with it, and yes, abide by the 2 week rule. :thumbsup: