PDA

View Full Version : Using shampoo and conditioner from different lines

CavyQueen
January 19th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Hi! I usually use shampoos and conditioners from different product lines. The conditioner always says to use the corresponding shampoo first. Now of course this is an advertising method the company uses to get the consumer to also purchase the shampoo. However, is there a benefit to using the shampoo and conditioner from the same product line? Do they work better when used together? Am I not getting the full potential of the products by using a different shampoo and conditioner? Thank you. :)

Sissy
January 19th, 2010, 09:42 PM
I don't think you need to use a shampoo and conditioner from the same line. I never do anyways. I don't think there would be any added benefit to doing so.

Jeni
January 19th, 2010, 09:46 PM
I have used the matching shampoo and conditioner before and never noticed my hair being any better then it is when I mismatch products.

Stephichan
January 19th, 2010, 10:00 PM
I mix and match and use the corresponding ones. Never have I noticed a difference. For example, today I put some Suave clarifying conditioner on my ends, used the Clarifying shampoo on my scalp (and the inch or so below that), rinsed everything out, THEN used VO5 conditioner to wrap things up. It was a bit of an experiment....

*Rose Red*
January 20th, 2010, 01:02 PM
I use shampoo and conditioner from different lines for years and it works very good for my hair.

Xandergrammy
January 20th, 2010, 01:06 PM
I've also done both and noticed no difference.

rogue_psyche
January 20th, 2010, 01:06 PM
The benefit: Matching scents. Right now the only set I use is the Trader Joe's Nourish Spa shampoo and conditioner. I wash by using the CO on my length, and then the poo on my scalp. That way my length is more protected from the suds that run down my length. After that I condition with the ever-stalwart GVP Conditioning Balm.

Dreams_in_Pink
January 20th, 2010, 01:07 PM
i don't think so :D use what works for your hair.

Aer
January 20th, 2010, 01:35 PM
I haven't noticed any difference either. I use a shampoo bar or rhassoul, then follow up with an Aveda treatment or oil or both. I used the Aveda shampoo with the treatment and honestly I did better with the clay or shampoo bar.

MakeLoveNotWar
January 20th, 2010, 02:11 PM
For me personally, I've always had better results when I used matching shampoo and conditioner. I've tried mixing brands and such, but my hair always seems dull and lank when I do that. I don't know, maybe I just have snooty locks :eyebrows:

bumblebums
January 20th, 2010, 02:30 PM
I would imagine that some ingredients in conditioner (such as dimethicone) require some other ingredients (sodium laureth sulphate) in shampoo to get the residue out.

I have done both matched and mismatched shampoo/conditioner combos over the years. Some work, some don't. The shampoo/conditioner combo that I used last (before I gave up that method) was matched. The bottles are still sitting in my bathroom... Go figure.

Pumpkin
January 20th, 2010, 02:47 PM
I have not noticed any problems when I have used different brands together. You are correct, using the same shampoo and conditioner brand 'sales pitch' is a way for companies to make more money at the time of your purchase.

Xandergrammy
January 20th, 2010, 03:49 PM
The benefit: Matching scents. Right now the only set I use is the Trader Joe's Nourish Spa shampoo and conditioner. I wash by using the CO on my length, and then the poo on my scalp. That way my length is more protected from the suds that run down my length. After that I condition with the ever-stalwart GVP Conditioning Balm.

This is a good point. I tend to go for very similar smells or very faint smells so they usually blend together pretty well. What does that Trader Joe's Nourish Spa smell like?

krisviola1
January 20th, 2010, 05:44 PM

ITA with the bolded.