PDA

View Full Version : So...growing out from short pixie...

Afternoonrain
January 19th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Thought I might as well jump back in here...I've sat around sulking enough. :) Ready to embrace the starting over phase.

So for those of you that have started from pixie (whether through natural growing out, removing henna/indigo...)

What growing out methods did you use? I am seriously contemplating just letting it grow, grow, grow-even if I have to go through a hideous mullet phase. I am thinking that at the end of a year, the back of my hair should be to APL, and the rest of course in various layers.

Any progress photos of the above mentioned would be greatly appreciated!

jaine
January 19th, 2010, 06:37 PM
I am planning to avoid cutting for at least a year while my hair grows, then get it shaped if I need to around November. I have a picture album (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4650), but I'm only a month or two in so there's not much to see just yet. :)
Good luck growing!!

Afternoonrain
January 19th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Hi jaine!

I am very envious of the length you have..particularly in the front. :) Hair in my face always makes me feel somewhat secure.

I think right now I *might*have an inch...

Maybe I should just go google some mullet photos. ha.

jmallen62691
January 19th, 2010, 07:12 PM
I grew my hair out from a pixie quite a few years ago and I just let it grow grow grow. It went through a few awkward stages, but it ended up looking good again once it got close to chin length. Sorry, I don't have any pics from when I was growing out from a pixie since it was more than a while ago. :]

LawyerGirl
January 19th, 2010, 07:20 PM
I am growing out from a pixie, although I trim regularly so I don't get too shaggy.

julya
January 19th, 2010, 07:22 PM
I trimmed a lot when growing from a pixie, because I didn't like the mullet stage, but I bet it will be quicker to grow without trimming.

cuddledumplin
January 19th, 2010, 07:24 PM
I just let mine grow and shaped it up with trims a few times per year. I HAD to do that because at certain stages it just looked terrible. I also wore a lot of hats and scarves.

sally_neuf
January 19th, 2010, 07:50 PM
I just grew and grew. 1 year after, the longer layers are at apl :)

Afternoonrain
January 19th, 2010, 07:54 PM
good-so I am not insane.

I googled "fashion mullet" and found some photos of what I *think* hair might look like through the grow-out stage. Not to bad. Eh, I might be able to pull it off-ha! Or just clip up the bottom and bust out my head scarfs.

Zaane
January 19th, 2010, 07:56 PM
you guys are so amazing....id probably cry if i ever did that to myself T_T even though god knows my hair could use it....... :O

rhondalicious
January 19th, 2010, 09:20 PM
I am growing from pixie right now, and I've just left it alone, and I can ALMOST get it into a ponytail. I am not doing any cuts, and so far it's working out - my "bangs" just swoop behind my ears and my length is sitting on my collar. The last time I grew out, I was constantly trimming the back, and I've discovered that leaving it alone really isn't that bad, I just kind of fluff it out a bit so it's less mullet-y.

Beesweet
January 19th, 2010, 09:26 PM
I am growing from an almost-pixie right now. I am working on posting pictures of all of the stages I have gone through since cutting.

I was almost at APL and I cut due to ove-zealous henna usage.
I did post a "help with hair type" last week, so you can see some pics of that if you want to hunt for the thread before I can post it here.

I got to a bob. It took a while. I'm at chin length now, which means it feels long because it hangs in my face --- ha ha. This means I have to put it up when I do things, and I do put it up when I sleep now, because it is curly. "Up" means octopus clip in front, or snood, buff, or bandana.

I keep telling myself that I have the chance to make my future long hair very healthy by taking care of it now. So I treat it well, though I do have some highlights to grow out.

It just takes time, time, time. To take a phrase from one of my favorite movies -- The Waterboy --

"YOU CAN DO IT!"

jojo
January 20th, 2010, 08:34 AM
I grew out from a pixie-bob thing and refused to cut until i got my hair to a length which i could do a decent pony tail. I started to trim 2 years after my short do but never the layers just dusted the length, its took 3 years but now my hair is one length apart from the fringe which is past shoulder.

It does go through a difficult stage especialy flip and shoulder length for me, my hair looked like a triangle and grew out more than down, but I found once it passed these stages it was more manageable.

Now I am just over 4 years of growing and nearing waist and I am at last at peace with my hair and I am glad i made the decision to grow. Good luck to all pixie growers, your hair will change by the month and although you will get frustrations just stick with it, you will all be glad you did!

CrisDee
January 20th, 2010, 08:52 AM
I'm in the same boat as you are - hacked off all my hair in March 2009. Kept it short for 6 months to grow out all the chemical dye, color now is only henna and henna/cassia. The mullet is driving me NUTS, have to keep hacking it back every 3-4 weeks to keep from losing my mind. Progress photos:

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n417/CrisDee1958/Hair/Short%20and%20growing%20out/collage3.jpg

tiggens
January 20th, 2010, 09:01 AM
I am growing out from a #1 buzzcut so I feel your pain. Now my hair is at collar-length, almost shoulder length. I recommend going for as long as you can without trimming but don't be afraid to just shape up the back/mullet. Different things have worked for different people but as much as I wanted long hair, I really didn't want to have to look like butt for a year+. I wanted some style (of the non-mullet variety) too. I have pics in my album from growing out. It's a strange road, but your hair WILL grow and it gets longer everyday. ;)

jojo
January 20th, 2010, 09:02 AM
got to say Crisdee every picture I see of your hair just gets better, its growing fast and looking incredibly healthy. I cannot waist to see you at longer lengths, I have a feeling your going to be Igor number 2!

redneckprincess
January 20th, 2010, 09:22 AM
Hello :cool: Im growing out from a bleached pixie, I have a great album (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=3056)(ok not so great I was not a part of LHC and didnt know how to take progress pictures back then)
of a 8-9 month time frame no cutting or trimming, no color(besides fun colors), no bleach no chemicals....before I snapped and chopped of like 5" off...now (a year later) Im back at it and longer then before facing a trim...:rolleyes::run:.oh dear...enough about me
I have more albums too...feel free lo look at them

CrisDee
January 20th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Aw, Jojo, you're so awesome! :) That's the kind of encouragement we pixie growers need :blossom:

Pixna
January 20th, 2010, 09:30 AM
I'm growing out from a pixie (that I self-inflicted in 2007). Check out the Any Super-Shorties Out There??? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18405) thread (which I started a year ago). You're not alone, and you CAN do it!!!

Afternoonrain
January 20th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Thanks Pixna! I actually spent over an hour on that thread last night before starting this.

Ha-I just wanted to see if there was anyone out there as willing as I am to get back length asap..and ride out the rough patches without trimming. :) We'll see. I seriously don't see how a mullet-type-thing could be any worse than what I have right now.

Dreams_in_Pink
January 20th, 2010, 10:37 AM
when i started out, back of my head was pixie but i had ear-length layers on the front (victoria beckham bob, that is). you'd say "that's not as bad as pixie" but really, it's much more weird when you grow out such an unnatural haircut >_<

it's been a year and my hair (once-pixie part) reaches way past my shoulders.

I put castor oil on my scalp the day before wash and scalp massage 1-2 times a day. This week i got 1 cm of growth, possibly due to that regime. I don't know what my growth rate was back then though, but i feel these help hair grow kinda faster, as i skipped shoulder length quite fast.

ali beast
January 29th, 2010, 01:13 AM
i'm growing out from pixie, too, and once i got to the mullet stage i really deliberated... personally, i went with offing the mullet, because i knew i'd feel better with hair that looked "intentional" rather than "shaggy hott mess."

this is not to say that i do not think with longing for the 2 inches or so the stylist cut off... sigh.

it's a tough one. the lady or the tiger, ya know?

kdaniels8811
January 29th, 2010, 03:57 AM
I will be growing out from bald (chemo) and plan on not trimming for at least a year. So lots of hats and scarves for going through the awkward stage -which is anything above shoulder length for me!. If you want to grow long, don't cut it!

Madame J
January 29th, 2010, 04:35 AM
I chopped in October 2007, to get rid of all my dyed length. It was easy to tell since I'd gone no-'poo for 6 months prior, and the long-term use of baking soda stripped the dye out of my hair, but left the undyed part dark. I went in for a trim a few months later (went on a cruise) and then a few months after that, and then six months after that, each time getting it trimmed and re-shaped but reminding my stylist that I was growing it out. So I got longer, but held onto lots of layers.

In May 2009, I had my last trim, and I was at about shoulder length. I hit APL in November 2009, and I hope I'll hit BSL by this coming May. I do need a trim sometime soon, but I haven't actually seen any splits, so I'm trying to give it until May.

If I were to do it again, I would probably still get some trims while it grew, but I would be a little more sparing, maybe once every 6 months until I hit shoulder. The best would be if I had a friend or relative that I could trust to just trim off the bottom stuff at my neck to de-mullet me. I did this for my husband when he grew his hair out, and it worked well -- he had longer hair than I until recently.

Good luck and happy growing!

jojo
January 29th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Aw, Jojo, you're so awesome! :) That's the kind of encouragement we pixie growers need :blossom: your very welcome, you and reckless princess are getting such excellent growth xx

Delila
January 29th, 2010, 10:00 AM
I grew out from a pixie, and did it with a hairdresser's help, to keep the shorter growing out phases as painless as possible.

I spaced out my trims to about 3 times a year, and gradually lost most of the layers.

Honestly, I've kind of forgotten the sequence of things, but eventually my hair got long enough that I could start trimming it myself.

mommat04
January 29th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Growing out from a pixie here too! i haven't decided yet if i'm going to trim or not. My hair is currently heading to mullet stage. I'm going to go atleast a few more months and give my hair some more growth before I decide if i"m going to trim or not.

Prism
March 10th, 2010, 07:18 AM
I'm growing out from bald (chemo) and then pixie stop along the way. A headband has been my best friend -- the kind with the wire twists. It looks cuter than the obvious thick band style of headband and blends with your hair. It also doesn't give the headache that the typical headband can give.

I've continued to get trims. The stylist has let the front get longer, letting them slowly begin to angle around my face. the layers are starting to get long now. I can put the front up in a barrette at the back with only a few of the side pieces falling out. I bought 2 mini Ficcare clips to hold these escapees. I also have those snap clips (Goody carries them) to hold the wisps.

I'm learning that the more hair toys you have to combat these awkward phases, the less painful it is til you're past them. Check out those Ficcare mini clips. Get an octopus clip (Goody) -- it's like a regular hair clip, but is wide and squatty, flat against your head. I can gather my hair up (it just now fits into a stubby ponytail for the most part with some flyaways) and get most of it into that octopus clip. Then I use the snap clips and/or the Ficcare minis to secure the stuff that falls out.

And hey, if it's put up even with lots of clips, nobody can tell it's a mullet. :)

Oh, the other thing I'm doing is being religious about taking the stuff that people have mentioned here that is helping their hair grow fast. Right now I'm getting about 1 inch of growth per month. I massage frequently. I take a multivitamin, MSM, Biotin, and Silica. It's growing fast.

Maryopal
March 10th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Well, sitting on my couch last night, watching yet another episode of "What Not To Wear", I found myself insanely jealous of the resistant fashion bonehead getting herself made over for free. The hair part of the show has always been my favorite, as I have gotten, maybe 7 actual salon haircuts in my 29 years. It's always baffled/intrigued me the attention and money some people put into their hairstyle. Having been a diehard longhair since my mother cut off my gorgeous curls when I was 4 and left me with the mushroom mullet from heck, I never even considered thinking about a salon, much less visiting one for a trim. (It'd been a year and a half. Oops.) Well, after a harried googling/phone calling session, I hopped on my bike and came home 2 hours later with the best kick-booty pixie I could have ever hoped for. My husband recognized my bike, but not me when I rode up to our front porch. I got a "Who are you?", a slow smile, and a "My wife is hot!" Why didn't I do this years ago??
I have no split ends. My hair is MY color. All the horrible bleaching mistakes from 1.5 years ago is gone!! I'm smitten.

I'm also waiting for the "Oh my gosh, what the heck did I do and where is my hair, etc." freakout. Hasn't happened yet.

It's interesting. I hope this time I can actually take care of my ends before they end up split all to pieces:(

Anyway, thanks for letting me get this off my chest.
I'm still in shock. Happy shock:)

-Maryopal

emmabovary
March 10th, 2010, 09:57 AM
I grew out a pixie back in 2003. Getting the pixie was such a horrendous experience I refused to get my hair trimmed for two years after that, despite horrible split ends. It was my therapy. Anyway it worked out fine, looked a bit silly from time to time but still okay. Probably would have looked worse if I'd had straight hair.

Igor
March 10th, 2010, 02:40 PM
I think you should consider your face shape when it comes to growing out. Personally I took length off in the neck and approached a blunt cut in the neck at around chin length while the front caught up. I still had some layers in the back when the front caught up and I let everything grow out together. I’m now at mid thigh and I think I still have a bit of layers left (hard to tell how much though because of the natural tapers)

I wouldn’t recommend the intentional mullet. You will be stuck with “short” hair for years and there is no reason to have a hair cut you know you will dislike for so long

One thing I regretted not doing, is to work the headbands, tiny claws and cute mini-buns in the growing out phase. Don’t forget that just because you’re in an “awkward” phase, you can still look cute!

:flowers:

Kwongdzu
April 25th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Thought I might as well jump back in here...I've sat around sulking enough. :) Ready to embrace the starting over phase.

So for those of you that have started from pixie (whether through natural growing out, removing henna/indigo...)

What growing out methods did you use? I am seriously contemplating just letting it grow, grow, grow-even if I have to go through a hideous mullet phase. I am thinking that at the end of a year, the back of my hair should be to APL, and the rest of course in various layers.

Any progress photos of the above mentioned would be greatly appreciated!

I know there's a super-shortie thread, but I wanted to bump this one up to help any other newbies out there in the same situation I'm in, with deciding the best way to grow out their pixie :D

Personally I've tried doing the trim-until-one-length, and it takes forever, and I usually end up with a bob. So this time I'm taking the no trims in 2011 challenge to get some length, and then maybe get a trim-

Anyone else doing the same?

dulce
April 25th, 2011, 05:24 PM
3 years ago 1 had a pixie-grew it out in layers and scrunched my naturally curly hair as it grew..now after a few trims along those 3 years am a few inches from waist-stopped the scrunching at apl. but it sure helped get past the awkward early stages to apl.

nazzooyzo
April 26th, 2011, 04:45 AM
i've been growing mine out since last august and i couldnt deal with the mullet stage so have been trimming the back every 3 or 4 months to even it up. my hair is now nearly all the same length but only around chin length.

Mesmerise
April 26th, 2011, 05:41 AM
When I last grew out a pixie, I just kinda grew it without trimming for quite a few months. Fortunately, it's quite curly at that length (especially with layers), so I never got a real mulletty look (lol). If I had, I'd have chopped it!! I ended up cutting it to a bob when the longest layers were long enough, and then continued to grow from there!

I think I was helped by using hairclips when it got long enough (like the one in my avatar pic...which may actually be the same one I used back then in 2004 or so lol). I just twisted it up from the base and clipped (once it was long enough at the back, of course). And I sort of ignored my hair for awhile! If I hadn't had hair damage, I probably wouldn't have cut back to the bob, but while in the pixie I had bleached blonde hair, and I'd dyed it dark over the top of that, so needless to say there was a fiar bit of damage there!

Kwongdzu
April 26th, 2011, 07:03 AM
When I last grew out a pixie, I just kinda grew it without trimming for quite a few months. Fortunately, it's quite curly at that length (especially with layers), so I never got a real mulletty look (lol). If I had, I'd have chopped it!! I ended up cutting it to a bob when the longest layers were long enough, and then continued to grow from there!

I think I was helped by using hairclips when it got long enough (like the one in my avatar pic...which may actually be the same one I used back then in 2004 or so lol). I just twisted it up from the base and clipped (once it was long enough at the back, of course). And I sort of ignored my hair for awhile! If I hadn't had hair damage, I probably wouldn't have cut back to the bob, but while in the pixie I had bleached blonde hair, and I'd dyed it dark over the top of that, so needless to say there was a fiar bit of damage there!

I so wish I had curly hair to make this easier! I do have a bit of a wave to it, esp since I've stopped cones and brushing/blowdrying it, so I want to try your method too, just twisting the mullet up everyday and ignoring it for many many months-

skyblue
April 26th, 2011, 07:51 AM
I just left it grow with trims after it got to about shoulder length, thats about it
it wasn't til I joined here that I got impatient for to grow faster! lol!

Kwongdzu
April 26th, 2011, 11:56 AM
I just left it grow with trims after it got to about shoulder length, thats about it
it wasn't til I joined here that I got impatient for to grow faster! lol!

Wowsers! How long did it take you to get to that length from a pixie?

vanillabones
April 26th, 2011, 12:04 PM
I've been pulling through the mullet stage but prefer to trim. I trim it whenever my bf sees it down and tells me 'wow you have a mullet' ;) because if he has something to say then I know it's bad ahahahaha... I prefer keeping it even and am keeping it cut evenly at my neck until the layers catch up then I'll go for even at shoulders. Once even at shoulders I'll let it grow grow grow until BSL to even it up again.

I deciding to start growing my pixie Summer 2010 but from there I bleached it to hell and back and got extensive extension damage (extensive extension damage say that 5x fast...) so you could say my growing really started Feb 2011 when I found LHC and started regenerating my hair. I had to cut most of it back to pixie length buy then anyway.

With monistat it is growing like weeds.
PS if you're keeping a mullet please keep it clipped up in the back :( I've been doing this since winter when I got my extensions out. I wouldn't dare show it in public!... Maybe because my hair is thin and it would look like an intentional ratty little mullet, ew. My hair is sad :'(

Kwongdzu
April 26th, 2011, 12:13 PM
I've been pulling through the mullet stage but prefer to trim. I trim it whenever my bf sees it down and tells me 'wow you have a mullet' ;) because if he has something to say then I know it's bad ahahahaha... I prefer keeping it even and am keeping it cut evenly at my neck until the layers catch up then I'll go for even at shoulders. Once even at shoulders I'll let it grow grow grow until BSL to even it up again.

PS if you're keeping a mullet please keep it clipped up in the back :( I've been doing this since winter when I got my extensions out. I wouldn't dare show it in public!... Maybe because my hair is thin and it would look like an intentional ratty little mullet, ew. My hair is sad :'(

Don't worry, I promise to keep my mullet pinned up! My husband and coworkers will prob kill me if I don't-

NouvelleNymphe2
April 26th, 2011, 12:29 PM
I am another who has been growing out from pixie. Here is my length/growth album: Steady Growth Journey (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7185). I stuck a picture in there just now of my starting point so sorry it's a bit out of order because of that pic. OP, if you would like to see my other album just friend me. For me the hardest part was starting over after a lot of chemical damage on my fine hair. It really stalled my growth for awhile. It was honestly after I starting using organic products, non SLS shampoos, and henna and other herbs that my growth rate shot up again to normal.

In terms of the awkward phase mine was definitely getting all of the different layers past my chin. Now that they pretty much are, I don't mind the unevenness so much really. And once you get there you can see some real progress. I have read so so many helpful articles here on the LHC. But I think the single most helpful was Igor's personal supplements article. If you can't find it I'll be more than happy to send you the link.

Happy growing to ALL!!!:cheese:

KrissyKitty
April 26th, 2011, 12:32 PM
I'm currently growing out my pixie and I just did my first mullet trim last night. Having hair that I'm happy with is more important to me than sheer length, so I'm trimming the neck area until the top layers catch up more. I've had bobs before and liked them, so I'm going to avoid mullets by trimming the neck only until I'm at a bob. It might take me a bit longer to reach shoulder length this way, but I know that personally I'll be happier with my hair as I go. My best advice is to do whatever you think will make you happiest with your hair-- you'll go through awkward stages either way.

Kwongdzu
April 26th, 2011, 01:34 PM
I am another who has been growing out from pixie. Here is my length/growth album: Steady Growth Journey (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7185).

In terms of the awkward phase mine was definitely getting all of the different layers past my chin. Now that they pretty much are, I don't mind the unevenness so much really. And once you get there you can see some real progress. I have read so so many helpful articles here on the LHC. But I think the single most helpful was Igor's personal supplements article. If you can't find it I'll be more than happy to send you the link.

Happy growing to ALL!!!:cheese:

Thanks so much for posting this. Your hair's really grown, and it's a great inspiration! Just found Igor's article (wow) so thanks for that too-

NouvelleNymphe2
April 26th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Thanks so much for posting this. Your hair's really grown, and it's a great inspiration! Just found Igor's article (wow) so thanks for that too-

You are very welcome:eyebrows:, so glad it's helpful!

bondeandeebowl
April 27th, 2011, 07:44 PM
I wish I had stumbled upon this thread earlier! I am also growing out from a pixie-ish cut (started growing in September). My hair feels insanely long now, and it's just creeping passed shoulder!

NouvelleNymphe, your hair is so shiny and healthy! I love the picture of your starting point, you look like a movie star from the old days (beautiful!).

NouvelleNymphe2
April 27th, 2011, 08:36 PM
I wish I had stumbled upon this thread earlier! I am also growing out from a pixie-ish cut (started growing in September). My hair feels insanely long now, and it's just creeping passed shoulder!

NouvelleNymphe, your hair is so shiny and healthy! I love the picture of your starting point, you look like a movie star from the old days (beautiful!).

Thank you so much bondeandeebowl :flowers:, and right back at ya. I checked out your profile pics and you have had great growth and your hair looks very healthy and shiny. I also love your short pic in the black dress, sooooooo pretty!

nory87
April 30th, 2011, 06:09 AM
Hello everyone!! :waving:I have been growing a pixe since fall 2009. But I have done multiple trims along the way. Right now is almost shoulder length. When I did the pixie all my chemical treated hair was gone, but as my hair started to grow all my white hairs started to show. I am only 23 but I have lots of white hair ( I have to thank my father for that :)) So I have been dying and frying my hair. I am thinking of cutting my hair again in a pixie, but then I think about how long it took to grow my hair and all the phases that I went through to get my hair where it is today that it makes me think twice about it :(.