PDA

View Full Version : What does it mean to have a hair twin?

Beets
January 19th, 2010, 06:07 PM
So, I get what a hair twin is--someone who has a really similar hair type to your own, right?

I guess this is more of an LHC culture question, but what do you do once you find your hair twin? Do you friend that person? What happens once you friend someone? Does friending just make it easier to find that person again to check in on what's working and what's not, get style ideas, etc.? Can you have a lot of hair twins, or do most people just have a couple? Are they identified more by their classifiers, or by the stories they tell about how their hair behaves?

Thanks for any answers!

Xi
January 19th, 2010, 06:58 PM
I'm not sure if it has a really formal definition... I usually think it means having similar length/thickness/fineness/curliness parameters +/- similar colour. It can be handy, as some things just work better for some types of hair (e.g., a type of hair toy or a certain style might work for thick and curly hair but not for thin and slippery hair, etc.). Making friends with someone with similar hair can be beneficial -- you can share friends-only blogs/albums with updo successes. Plus it lets them know they have a hair twin out there that could maybe help them out too. :) Hope that helps!

melikai
January 19th, 2010, 07:03 PM
I sometimes wish there was a "Hair Twin Finder" thread on here. I know you can search the members list by hair types, but length and goals aren't there, nor is colour, routine, etc.

I have this sentimental thought that there is my exact hair twin out there somewhere, and that we'll bond and become bestest hair friends. :o

Finoriel
January 22nd, 2010, 07:30 AM
I think the whole hair twin story sounds more mysterious than it really is :p
Basically the idea behind it was that similar hair-types are more inclined to like and dislike the same products. So some people look for hair-twins to see what works for others with similar hair. Which routines and products they like, which styles they can wear at which length or how long one can grow hair of a more difficult type.
Some hair-types are more common than others, so those have automatically more hair twins than uncommon hair-types.
No idea if people friend hair twins. I just friend people I have had more contact with, but there is a huge variety of different takes on the friending-system. So why not try friending a hair twin if youŽd like to, :wink: they canŽt do more than say no.

FrannyG
January 22nd, 2010, 07:49 AM
It's really easy to find your hairtwins here. I'll tell you how.

Go to "Members List" at the menu at the top of the page. Click on that.

On the right side near the top of the page, you will see a "Search Members" dropdown.

Click "Advanced Search"

Scroll down to the "Hair Classifiers section. Insert your own hair type, in your case 2b, then M, then ii/iii.

Scroll down to "Search Now". A list of all member who share your hairtype will show up.

Here are your hair twins (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/memberlist.php?do=getall), Beets.

It's really fun to find your hair twins. You can get a fairly good idea of what your hair might look like at different lengths. :)

ETA: That's why it's so important for new members to fill out their hair type. For example, if someone with 3C/F/iii hair has special needs, it's unlikely that my 1a/F/ii advice will be helpful. I know nothing about how to care for curly hair and vice versa.

bumblebums
January 22nd, 2010, 08:43 AM
I actually kind of wish LHC included natural hair color as part of the hair type. There are all sorts of things that people might do differently if they have dark as opposed to lighter-colored hair, especially if they are into alternative hair care methods.

My use for hair twins is that I tend to pay more attention to their advice than to the opinions of people who might only have second- or third-hand knowledge of how to care for my type of hair.

Kaijah
January 22nd, 2010, 08:52 AM
It's really easy to find your hairtwins here. I'll tell you how.

Go to "Members List" at the menu at the top of the page. Click on that.

On the right side near the top of the page, you will see a "Search Members" dropdown.

Click "Advanced Search"

Scroll down to the "Hair Classifiers section. Insert your own hair type, in your case 2b, then M, then ii/iii.

Scroll down to "Search Now". A list of all member who share your hairtype will show up.

Here are your hair twins (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/memberlist.php?do=getall), Beets.

It's really fun to find your hair twins. You can get a fairly good idea of what your hair might look like at different lengths. :)

ETA: That's why it's so important for new members to fill out their hair type. For example, if someone with 3C/F/iii hair has special needs, it's unlikely that my 1a/F/ii advice will be helpful. I know nothing about how to care for curly hair and vice versa.

WOW, this is awesome. I guess I never looked at the Member Search thing closely, but how helpful!

My take on the hair-twin idea was also always in the similar product and styling category. Just seeing what works for other people who have hair like me, because I'm not easily enabled enough as it is just reading posts. :D

melikai
January 22nd, 2010, 03:30 PM
I actually kind of wish LHC included natural hair color as part of the hair type. There are all sorts of things that people might do differently if they have dark as opposed to lighter-colored hair, especially if they are into alternative hair care methods.

Agreed! I guess that's where the social groups come in, but they're so inactive.

MsBubbles
January 22nd, 2010, 05:54 PM
I personally get a real kick out of finding a hair twin with hair at my goal length (hip or tailbone). Because I have fine, thin & straight hair, I have always heard my whole life that I couldn't or shouldn't have hair that long. I love seeing that theory proved wrong! It gives me hope and inspiration for my own hair.

On the other hand though, I have gotten myself into self-hatred trouble by seeing others with my hairtype, whose hair is thicker than mine, since the range of ii thickness is pretty big.

And what's more, I have found that what my hair twins can use on their hair might not work on mine, and vice versa.

Ursula
January 22nd, 2010, 06:19 PM
So, I get what a hair twin is--someone who has a really similar hair type to your own, right?

I guess this is more of an LHC culture question, but what do you do once you find your hair twin? Do you friend that person? What happens once you friend someone? Does friending just make it easier to find that person again to check in on what's working and what's not, get style ideas, etc.? Can you have a lot of hair twins, or do most people just have a couple? Are they identified more by their classifiers, or by the stories they tell about how their hair behaves?

Thanks for any answers!

Friending someone does two things. First, it makes them a "Contact", and gives them access to any albums you have marked as Friends/Contacts only, or your blog if it is friends/contacts only. Second, it puts their name on your "Friends" list, which is open to the public.

Different people use the "Friends" list in different ways. Some people try to get as many friends on the list as possible. Some only include people who they know in real life or are particularly close to. Some people don't use the friends list at all. Some, I suppose, might want to fill it with hair-twins.

If you make someone a "Contact" they will automatically have access to your private blog or albums. They do not need to do anything to confirm this.

If you make someone a "Friend" it makes them a "Contact" automatically, and it also sends that person a "Friend request." If they accept the request, they will show on your Friends list, you will show on their friends list, and you will (as a person on their friends list) be on their contact list, and be able to see their private blog/albums.

I find the whole idea of a public "friends" list obnoxious, so I don't use the friends system. If someone sends a request I turn it down. Someone who is only putting people they know in real life on their friends list might turn down friends invitations as well. Because different people use the lists in different ways, and there is no way to know why/how someone has chosen to use their friends list, don't take it personally if your friends requests are turned down.

You can still put someone on your "Contact" list if you want them to be able to see your private blog.

Delila
January 23rd, 2010, 03:07 PM
I'd say that finding my own hair twins is more a matter of trial and error than anything else, and kind of depends on what I'm doing with my hair at the moment.

For example, when I was playing around with herbal hair care, I'd search for members whose hair and scalp type was similar to my own, and who also had an interest in the herbs I was learning about. It made it easier to figure out what would be more likely to work well for me.

The software really doesn't let you get that specific in searching, but the classifiers are a pretty good way to start, if people have included the information in their profiles.

I've never really gotten much use of the friends system here, but then again, my blog (what there is of it) is not set to private.

JamieLeigh
January 25th, 2010, 10:23 AM
I friended mine. *waves to Amoretti* :D Although we have different systems of haircare, we have very similar hairtype. It's neat to see different ways of achieving the same results - beautiful hair! :)

xoxophelia
January 25th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Ehh I looked through this thread here to see if I had a hair twin hahah...

*sigh* Most of you seem to have more the.. silky hair look than I do. Mine is kinda stubborn.

Edit: I was just searching through the 1a/2c group and think I found one (even with similar natural color) :D
Her hair looks the same and we have the same hair descriptions as well.

Amoretti
January 25th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Hi, JamieLeigh! :D

AlleyKitten
January 25th, 2010, 03:04 PM
I sometimes wish there was a "Hair Twin Finder" thread on here. I know you can search the members list by hair types, but length and goals aren't there, nor is colour, routine, etc.

I have this sentimental thought that there is my exact hair twin out there somewhere, and that we'll bond and become bestest hair friends. :o

Well, it looks like we have the same hairtype, and a somewhat similar color -- wanna be bestest hair friends? :lol: