PDA

View Full Version : S&D only?

elina333
January 19th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Ok so I've noticed most of you gals (and boys) here are practising S&D. I do too occasionally but my question is: Is it enough or do I need trims at the salon as well? :confused:

My hair is highlighted (I know, BAD :o), below-shoulder length with lots of split ends (they just keep coming back :mad:). Last time I did my S&D (last week) I freaked out because even though I had removed almost all of my splits, my ends were still feeling like straw! So I called the salon... :(

How do you do it? Just S&D or getting salon trims once in a while?

Bellalalala
January 19th, 2010, 04:05 PM
I only S&D, but I do it constantly.

I have some classes that I watch online for school, so I snip away while learning about metabolism, or whatever.

It took about 3 weeks of major S&D work before my ends felt nice and smooth, and my hair is almost completely virgin.

That said, keep in mind that not only split ends will make your ends feel crispy. Other members suggest oiling the ends to soften them.

FrannyG
January 19th, 2010, 04:11 PM
I never S&D at all. I rarely find splits. I do however cut 1/2 inch off of my hair every 4 months, just to keep the ends even. Since my hair is so straight, uneven ends really show. Also, I love the feeling of fresh ends.

Amara
January 19th, 2010, 04:27 PM
No matter the length of your hair, you will have some shorter hairs all throughout because of the shedding and regrowth cycle. For me, those are the ones that need the S&D action. My occassional trims take care of my very ends - I hardly ever find splits within the last inch or two. They're always higher up! So for me the solution is both. But I never go to a salon! I trim my hair myself using Feye's method.

HildeMV
January 19th, 2010, 04:35 PM
I haven't gone to the salon in a long time, I just don't need too. I rarely get splits, and use s&d to remove whatever I don't like. If you want to change your hemline, you can do that yourself to. :)

Pierre
January 19th, 2010, 08:45 PM
I do S&D and don't trim, but I do snip off tangles that I find when combing in the shower or oiling.

Nesta
January 19th, 2010, 08:49 PM
I do daily S&D. I have hair snips on my coffee table and I sit in front of the telly at nighttime and go over it. I'm at classic and bleach blonde.

I believe it's useless for me to get a trim as my regrowth has split ends as well. I haven't had a cut for 5 years.

:cheese:

Dars
January 19th, 2010, 08:57 PM
I used to S&D regularly for about 4 months but stopped because I was cutting off way to much (of healthy hairs - different texture to what I thought was damage) and caused overall feeling of thinness. You don't need to go the salon, there is a self trimming method by Feye, there is a link in the VIP thread I think. Make sure you have a good quality pair of hair only scissors that are sharp otherwise they may be doing more damage to your hair.

danacc
January 19th, 2010, 10:04 PM
It really depends on what you want. S&D alone is enough from a hair-health maintenance perspective. Over time, your hemline is likely to lose its bluntness, and may also lose its shape without a trim.

I've used only S&D for a year now. My ends feel great. And they fairytale, which is fine with me at my current length.

xoxophelia
January 19th, 2010, 10:14 PM
The best thing you can do is try to reduce the amount of damage you are doing. So like pick the things you do that you want to keep and the things you can manage to change.

Rarely I look for split ends and maybe find two or something. I think if I started to find many more than that, it would be time for a small trim. Checking the length is difficult but that is probably what I should be doing.

Horror story: just a few hours ago, I felt a short very coarse hair on the back of my head, felt so rough I just yanked it out. It had a large split end half the way up and a smaller one lower. The root was black. I don't know what I did to it, but never seen something so bad in my life Oo. (Maybe it got stuck in the blow dryer a long time ago??)

SunshineHair
January 20th, 2010, 01:31 AM
xoxophelia I would have loved to see a picture of this angry hair!!!! I am a weirdo hehe

xoxophelia
January 20th, 2010, 01:58 AM
xoxophelia I would have loved to see a picture of this angry hair!!!! I am a weirdo hehe

That would have been a good idea.. but I was so disturbed by it that I don't know if I would want to look at it again ><

I vaguely remember a hair getting stuck in the blow dryer back when I did that. I'm hoping that is the cause. :(

elina333
January 20th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Thank you so much for all the info! :D I just love this site more and more every day! :D

Ok so S & D seems to be something one should do almost daily then... I guess Im doing it enough, and when I finally do it I get overwhelmed ;)

Thank you so much guys! Really appreciate it!

starlights
January 23rd, 2010, 09:02 PM
i just s&D as i grow along and my ends are healthy!

LadyVictoria
January 23rd, 2010, 10:59 PM
I am in the process of some major ends restoration so I S&D constantly right now. Slowly but surely I am seeing a difference. I trim about 1/4" to 1/2" every 3 to 4 months because I am trying to grow out the most damaged part of my hair. I can't stress the importance of moisture enough, my hair is very fine & fairly thin so my ends will get crunchy in the blink of an eye.

trolleypup
January 23rd, 2010, 11:02 PM
S&D only.

It gets easier as your hair gets longer...of course, as it gets longer and older, you get more splits. *sigh*

xoxophelia
January 23rd, 2010, 11:08 PM
I wish one of you were here to look at my hair because I think I really must be doing something wrong. My ends are dry and I think they are damaged, but I can't find split ends... sometimes 1 is a search. Maybe I should try pinning up my hair and taking out tiny sections and doing it very very long?

Carolyn
January 24th, 2010, 07:22 AM
I do a lot of S & D and I do regular trims to keep my hemline thick and straight. A half inch trim every 3 months wouldn't get rid of many of my splits. Most of them are an inch or more up in the length. My hair is very split prone and I don't like splits so I S & D a lot. I find it theraputic and relaxing.

curlylocks85
January 24th, 2010, 08:10 AM
I NEVER S&D because I will cut more off than necessary.

Anyway, I get regular trims every 3 months. This keeps my ends healthy and not crunchy and I do not have to worry about losing more length than I wanted.

I know many people do S&Ds but do not trim; others trim but do not S&D while others do both and some nothing at all. It really is just something you need to experiment with and find out if it fits you. I would not do it just because others say they do it too.

spidermom
January 24th, 2010, 08:27 AM
I do both.

trolleypup
January 24th, 2010, 06:45 PM
The longer your hair is, the less good regular trims do to remove splits...as the splits are often in strands that aren't grown out to full length.

For me...a 1/2" trim could take the tips off about 20 strands...half of which have splits or white dots. My other bajillion splits and dots are in the next two feet of hair.

Cereus
January 24th, 2010, 07:06 PM
I do both. I S&D almost daily. I've become addicted to it and find it very relaxing. It seems to really help too. Like others I find that my longest hairs don't have splits. It's all the others. I'd have to shave my head to cut them all off. I don't really trim the ends that often. Maybe 1 inch every six months.

xoxophelia
January 24th, 2010, 08:26 PM
The longer your hair is, the less good regular trims do to remove splits...as the splits are often in strands that aren't grown out to full length.

For me...a 1/2" trim could take the tips off about 20 strands...half of which have splits or white dots. My other bajillion splits and dots are in the next two feet of hair.

So I guess that means even people with hair with a thicker diameter will eventually develop this problem? You are a guy so you don't have bra strap, but was it about there where it becomes an issue?

Sweetness
January 24th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Don't you wish you could take your head off to look at your head from behind while S & D'ing ?? or is that just me ? lol

I do both too because I love fresh cut hemline and I hate when my ends feel crunchy. So I S & D when I procrastinate doing things I'm supposed to do (I find it soooo relaxing, don't know why :oops:) and I trim a little bit by myself every couple weeks /months, whenever I feel it's needed.

That's my plan for now (:

Natalia
January 24th, 2010, 09:20 PM
I mainly S&D and would probably do it exclusivley if i werent growing out alot of old hair color. Since im a slow grower i figure it will be easier for me to part with my hair if i just trim 1/4 inch or so 3 - 4 times a year instead of waiting till i get to hip and having to chop back to waist or something which would relly devastate me. Many years fro now when i get rid of the rest of the dye i will probably S&D with one trim a year to help my very uneven hemline.

trolleypup
January 24th, 2010, 11:55 PM
So I guess that means even people with hair with a thicker diameter will eventually develop this problem? You are a guy so you don't have bra strap, but was it about there where it becomes an issue?
Oh yes...my hair is coarse, and I have splits. My mom, who has extra-coarse hair never grew it long enough that it ever showed any damage at all.

BSL/MidBack...somewhere in there. I don't remember doing anything about it til I was past waist though.

xoxophelia
January 25th, 2010, 12:16 AM
Oh yes...my hair is coarse, and I have splits. My mom, who has extra-coarse hair never grew it long enough that it ever showed any damage at all.

BSL/MidBack...somewhere in there. I don't remember doing anything about it til I was past waist though.

I think my strands have some extra thickness and currently often don't find splits and will eventually grow to about tailbone (ideally). I should probably start being a lot more careful now then :)

Whenever I do find a split though, (maybe .. 5 total this year), I sorta feel like passing out XD