PDA

View Full Version : Tangle question....

lonestargal
January 19th, 2010, 01:24 PM
I've been having so many problems with tangles lately and I'm hoping someone can give my advice.

My hair is about 1 inch past shoulder and fairly thick so I can't do a lot of updos yet. I usually do either a pony tail or a peacock twist. I used to use tons of cones but they made my hair sooooo flat and I still suffered from tangles (back when my hair was at waist). The last 5-6 months I've been CO with VO5 and love the results as far as frizzies, shine, and just over all condition of my hair. I usually follow up with Biolage conditioning balm which is cone free but sometimes I would use a coney conditioner. I've done some research on LHC about tangles and when some have switched to cone free or vice versa it helped. So the last 3 weeks or so I've been cone free. I also got a small trim to even my ends up about 2 weeks ago. I thought the cone free helped, my hair has more body and it's wavier but now my tangles are back!!! I also clarify once a week usually with Kenra moisturizing shampoo and follow with the Biolage.

Any suggestions? Should I continue cone free longer to test it more or go back to cones (don't really want to but if I must!!) although that didn't seem to do much good. I'm just at a loss my hair isn't very long and I'm already running into problems. When my hair was waist I never really took care of it so I want to do things right this time :)

Thanks a bunch!!

Sammich
January 19th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Well, for one winter doesn't really help, especially winter materials. (Scarfs,etc.)... at least that's what I've found, plus winter is really drying for hair so I'd suggest moisture. Leave in conditioners + oils to seal in for example. :)
Since you've been using it the last 5 months and it's been fine... it's probably winter! ;) I have the exact same problem. :)

melikai
January 19th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Two potential causes for the tangles in the Kenra shampoo could be Hydrolized Wheat Protein (if your hair dislikes protein, this can lead to stiff, brittle, tangly hair), and Polyquaternium-10 (know here as "quats"), which acts in many ways like a silicone, potentially worse so, in that they seem to adhere to the hair much more strongly than silicones.

Maybe try clarifying with a very basic SLS shampoo, condition with no cones, then see.

lonestargal
January 19th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Two potential causes for the tangles in the Kenra shampoo could be Hydrolized Wheat Protein (if your hair dislikes protein, this can lead to stiff, brittle, tangly hair), and Polyquaternium-10 (know here as "quats"), which acts in many ways like a silicone, potentially worse so, in that they seem to adhere to the hair much more strongly than silicones.

Maybe try clarifying with a very basic SLS shampoo, condition with no cones, then see.

I was not aware that quats acted similar to cones. Even though it's a 'moisturizing' shampoo, my hair always is sooooo dry after wash day but I just figured it was that I'm used to CO. So maybe like you said it's the quats or the protein because I don't know if my hair doesn't like protein or not.

Sammich: Good point about winter, my skin and everything is much drier and I have to admit I'm not the best with using oils.

So it looks like I should stay with cone free and try quat and protein free for a bit and add oils back in. Thanks I'll try it for a bit.