PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! Thin, knotty dry hair!!

whoopsjenny
January 19th, 2010, 06:53 AM
Hi Everyoi[QUOTE][/QUOTEne, This is my first time posting on this forum. I feel like I have THE worst hair ever. My hair is about 6 inches past my shoulders.. It is thin (when I get my hair cut they told me it's very fine) but I think it's thinning out because I feel like I am losing so much of it in the shower!
We just moved to Florida recently and the water is SO much harder on my hair. Up north, my hair might be a little knotty when I get out of the shower, but here it is completely dry and full of knots! When it dries it is also very frizzy and dry looking.
I cannot go more than a day without washing it or it will be COMPLETELY greasy and extremely wet looking. I have tried baby powder.. this does not even help the problem.
Does anyone have any suggestions on care, maybe what shampoo to use or something I can do to make it less knotty? I am spraying on a detangler after I get out of the shower to try to help..
I am not piling it on top of my head.. being very careful with it not to get it all tangled but I am still having major problems.
Thanks in advance for anyone that can help!!!!

Medievalmaniac
January 19th, 2010, 06:57 AM
Firstly, don't panic!! Hard water is not the end of the world, you just have to learn to work around it.

I am sure there will be a lot of great advice for you on the list. To begin, though, may I suggest that you do an ACV (apple cider vinegar) clarifying rinse, followed by a CWC - condition, wash, condition. While you appear to have very fine hair, in the end you may find you need to condition a lot more than you initially thought. Follow this with a careful combing/detangling, using a smooth comb, and then use a few drops of oil (try olive oil) on jusdt the last six inches. Alternate this with CO (condition only) washes, and forego the shampoo awhile (I know this is counter to your usual routine, but if your usual routine isn't working for you anyway, you may as well try this and see if it helps, right?)

I hope this helps you out. Others may have better suggestions. I can tell you that my hair is better than it has ever been thanks to these techniques. :)

Good luck, and welcome!!

Silver Strands
January 19th, 2010, 07:14 AM
Sally's has a shampoo and condtitioner for removing minerals from well water called
ION for hard water.
Also, if you have a tack store near you, Cowboy Magic has a shampoo and condtioner line that
contains a demineralizer.
You could also add citric acid to water and use it to rinse after shampooing and condtioning.

bumblebums
January 19th, 2010, 07:19 AM
I'll second the suggestion to use a vinegar rinse. You can use simple white vinegar, which you probably have around the house. Take 1 tbsp of vinegar and dilute in 1 cup of water, and use that after conditioner in the shower. Then rinse it out in cold water.

You might consider using boiled+cooled or distilled water for your very last rinse, too. It's a bit more bother, but it really makes a difference.

kmangus
January 19th, 2010, 07:30 AM
I would suggest you check out Nightshades hair damage article...She explains so much there! Hopefully she will appear and give it to ya, or i will go look for it :)

Anje
January 19th, 2010, 07:41 AM
Are you using a conditioner, or just a detangler? If not, start using conditioner!

I like Suave Naturals, and it gives some slip. Others prefer something with silicones in it.

whoopsjenny
January 19th, 2010, 08:20 AM
thank you everyone SO MUCH! Your tips so far have been so helpful. I am getting ready to shower and I've just boiled some water for a final rinse.. We don't have vinegar yet but I am going to pick some up today! Right now I am using Biolage Bodifiying Shampoo and Conditioner and then a detangler after I get out of the shower