PDA

View Full Version : S&D-ed twice and still crunchy/velcro hair

ilovelonghair
January 19th, 2010, 04:33 AM
Well actually only did half of my hair twice, tomorrow it's the left side that gets a second chance. I can't see split ends on the right side anymore, but why does my hair still feel crunchy, velcro like? Tomorrow I'm also doing a big cut, hope that helps too. Any suggestions of what else could help my poor hair?

amaiaisabella
January 19th, 2010, 04:42 AM
Well, I would only do the cut if you need it, but I found that my hair suddenly changed texture when I either clarified or switched shampoos/washing method. For me, CO gave me the worst crunchies, but once I switched shampoos as well, my hair feels great again.

catysue
January 19th, 2010, 05:15 AM
have you clarified?

Anje
January 19th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Clarifying might fix everything.

Mine gets tangly and rough when I use protein-containing conditioners, though. If something you're putting in your hair has protein, and clarifying doesn't totally fix the problem, I'd suggest switching to a totally protein-free routine and doing a few SMTs over the next week.

FrannyG
January 19th, 2010, 07:51 AM
I also suggest clarifying. My hair is usually silky, but I do get velcro ends when I need to clarify.

To clarify, I usually use a clarifying shampoo, and then a deep treatment like an SMT. All is right again for several weeks.

ilovelonghair
January 20th, 2010, 01:20 AM
What is SMT?
I have done the chop already, happy with that because it makes my hair look a bit thicker, now I need to do the S&D the left half of my hair still and I will try to clarify, you can do that with baking soda can't you? But how much? I don't want to dry my hair out.

Dars
January 20th, 2010, 01:33 AM
What is SMT?
I have done the chop already, happy with that because it makes my hair look a bit thicker, now I need to do the S&D the left half of my hair still and I will try to clarify, you can do that with baking soda can't you? But how much? I don't want to dry my hair out.
SMT thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128). It's a moisture treatment many LHCer's have good experiences with. I'm pretty sure baking soda can be used to clarify and a follow up of a vinegar rinse but I don't know quantities.

Dolly
January 20th, 2010, 05:23 AM
You can use baking soda mixed with water, but it is pretty drying.....I use suave clarifying shampoo.....it removes EVERYTHING, and clears up those velcro ends in a jiffy.....just make sure to use a good moisturizing conditioner afterwards.....

catysue
January 20th, 2010, 06:27 AM
You can use baking soda mixed with water, but it is pretty drying.....I use suave clarifying shampoo.....it removes EVERYTHING, and clears up those velcro ends in a jiffy.....just make sure to use a good moisturizing conditioner afterwards.....

Suave Clarifying does have cones, so be careful! I like the VO5 Kiwi Lime shampoo for clarifying

Anje
January 20th, 2010, 06:42 AM
You can clarify with baking soda, but I vastly prefer to do it with a clarifying shampoo. I think clarifying with baking soda made my hair feel more icky than any other time in my life. VO5 and Suave both are good ones, though a double lather to the ends with just about any SLS shampoo that isn't filled with cones usually does the trick.

ilovelonghair
January 29th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Now I have to find such shampoo! I have never seen a clarifying shampoo in a shop ever

Ursula
January 29th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Shampoos aren't generally sold as "clarifying." Rather, it is a LHC term to describe the property of any wash method that is suitable for the occasional deep cleaning.

I find that ALS is a good detergent for clarifying. It cleanses more thoroughly than SLS or SLES, and it rinses very clean.

TresSemme Vit. C was my clarifying shampoo of choice for quite a while, and it isn't too expensive, and can be found at BJ's in gallon jugs, and in drug stores and grocery stores.

SpeakingEZ
January 30th, 2010, 04:39 AM
^^^ What would that wash method be? Should no conditioner be put on first? Should I actively wash the length well, too, or will that be washed when the shampoo is rinsed through my hair?

Carolyn
January 30th, 2010, 05:36 AM
When you are doing a clarifying wash you want to strip off all the gunk that's on the length so coating it in conditioner first would be pointless. Rusk and Aveda have clarifying shampoos too. I know there are others. I've done the baking soda thing and I think it's a lot more harsh than a commercial clarifying shampoo. The whole idea of a clarifying shampoo it to basically strip off all the build up that's making your hair feel like velcro. I shampoo the entire length. I don't pile it on top of my head but I squeeze the shampoo down the entire length. I gently work it through all my hair. Then I use some kind of a nice rich moisturizing conditioner. SMT's are wonderful for that.

klcqtee
January 30th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Sometimes if I just soak my hair in a ton of coconut oil over night, then CO in the morning, life is good for me. If you have old dye or heat damage, you may need to trim. Normal trims (across the bottom) don't do it for me. I recently trimmed according to my curl pattern (since it's pretty consistent) about a half inch to an inch, depending on how bad the taper is. Of course, my hair already has layers, so this might not work for you.

If the coconut oil soak doesn't help, clarifying usually does!

spidermom
January 30th, 2010, 10:35 AM
I use a regular shampoo full strength for clarifying. Otherwise I dilute my shampoo quite a lot.

Bellalalala
January 30th, 2010, 11:54 AM
I actually only do baking soda washes followed by lemon juice rinses. This leaves my hair much less crunchy than any commercial shampoo and conditioner ever did.

ilovelonghair
January 31st, 2010, 07:22 PM
I bought a clarifying shampoo (it was said on the bottle) and washed my hair with that, then I used a deep conditioner for 10 minutes. Still the whole thing didn't really work. Ends look fine, but feel crunchy. I already cut 4 centimeters off (1.6 inch) end if I really want it out I would have to cut off a LOT, and I bet that they will come back higher in my hair.

I find that ALS is a good detergent for clarifying. It cleanses more thoroughly than SLS or SLES, and it rinses very clean.

ALS, SLS, SLES?