PDA

View Full Version : In need of help with the dreaded Mat...

hazelnut
January 18th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Okay, so now that I actually notice hair growth (yes!:D) I have yet another issue:

The Mat.

It's not as scary as it sounds.... okay, well, it is for me because I've never experienced anything like this before. Where my new growth is growing in and my over processed hair meet it's forming quite a large and very much impossible mat that literally takes the jaws of life to comb out. I knew that this would happen sooner or later, but I just didn't think that it would be this bad. It seems that the more my hair grows, the more impossible the mat becomes. I'm not ready to cut it off quite yet because if I did I would hardly have any hair on my head.

Is there anyone who's experienced this or something like this and can give me a few tips on what to do until I can cut it off?

Sara Smile
January 19th, 2010, 11:59 AM
When I was a girl and my hair was finer (very fine then), it would mat at the back of my neck. Sometimes my mother would cut it out, and sometimes she would use a children's hair detangler to soak the mat and comb it out. I think the detangler is pretty much pure 'cone, but I haven't needed it for years and don't really know. Good luck!

redwoman
January 19th, 2010, 12:15 PM
What she said. Childrens no more tangles spray and plenty of it. Gently seperate the matt as much as you can with your fingers and gently comb out from the bottom up. Emphasis on gently.

Flaxen
January 19th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Get yourself the silicone-iest product you can find. Cowboy Magic (http://www.cowboymagic.com/products-detangler-shine.html) is a good one, and has helped people get out the worst mats. :smile:

rhondalicious
January 19th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Yes, cones! I combed out a head of half-formed dreadlocks using half a bottle of conditioner and an hour in a warm tub (me, not the hair!)