PDA

View Full Version : can head scratching = root damage?

tralalalara
January 18th, 2010, 10:13 PM
I scratch my head a lot. Sometimes sub-consciously. I'll be reading or watching television, or trying to sleep and one hand just starts rubbing and scratching my scalp, picking at pimples and other imperfections that I feel. I used to do it a lot more and it would bleed.

Could this have damaged my roots and follicles?

Ven
January 18th, 2010, 10:41 PM
I sure hope it's Ok. I do that as well, not till my scalp bleeds though. I love to scratch at my scalp. I do it mostly in front of the computer or when I am reading a book. I am not aware when I start doing it, but at somepoint I realize what I am doing.

Gypsy069
January 18th, 2010, 11:03 PM
I do the same thing as well. mostly at the computer.

Juneii
January 18th, 2010, 11:13 PM
I am thinking yes kind of? I used to do that too when I had pimples on my scalp. and when I pick at it there is this tiny bald spot left when the hairs fall out :(

MAO
January 19th, 2010, 12:26 AM
I hope not! I do it almost everyday:rolleyes: Usually while driving to and from work.....

rapunzhell13
January 19th, 2010, 12:42 AM
I've been scratching my head constantly for a few years now and I'm happy to report that it hasn't had any ill effect on the growth or quality of my hair. In fact, it might have even been encouraging circulation because I've had darn good growth! It also helps get rid of scalp gunk. Just try not to be too vigorous (certainly avoid breaking the skin and producing blood, obviously) and you should be fine.

Sammich
January 19th, 2010, 01:04 AM
I've been scratching my head constantly for a few years now and I'm happy to report that it hasn't had any ill effect on the growth or quality of my hair. In fact, it might have even been encouraging circulation because I've had darn good growth! It also helps get rid of scalp gunk. Just try not to be too vigorous (certainly avoid breaking the skin and producing blood, obviously) and you should be fine.

Ooh, thank god! Because I scratch a helluva lot every single day! :D :cheese:

Dreams_in_Pink
January 19th, 2010, 02:53 AM
i used to scratch till it bled back when i was using SLSs (itching so bad) now i only scratch it in the shower, to remove dead skin and other gunk :) i think my scalp even likes it cause afterwards, it feels shiny clean.

Milui Elenath
January 19th, 2010, 03:06 AM
I don't know. But I do it too - not till it bleeds but just scratching at the scalp absent-mindedly. It doesn't appear to have affected my growth - I'd have to stop scratching to know. Hmmm :ponder:

enfys
January 19th, 2010, 04:45 AM
I'd guess scratching is ok but picking is out. Think of your non hairy skin. If you scratch your arm it doesn't damage it, it might go pink. But if you pick at spots it can scar, and hair often won't grow over scars.

Angela_Rose
January 19th, 2010, 11:15 AM
I skritch my scalp all the time. It generally doesn't lead to bleeding, though, but my pain-reaction usually stops me before that point comes round. It's actually, in the right amount, very healthy for your scalp and growth, as it increses circulation to your skin and your hair follicles.

janiejones
January 19th, 2010, 11:38 AM
I wonder what the temptation is to pick at the scalp, often to the point of bleeding, is.....I used to do that when I was younger and would create some awful scabs because of it. Maybe it's just the natural impulse to scratch taken a little too far? Either way, head scratching feels amazing!

embee
January 19th, 2010, 11:43 AM
*Scritching* used to be a regular topic on this board, but seems to have fallen by the wayside. .. at least I don't see threads on it.

I'd not want to scratch to the bleed stage, though, neither scalp nor anywhere else. Seems to me hair doesn't grow through scar tissue. Thick scar tissue, that is. Not sure scratching would do that much damage.

SunshineHair
January 19th, 2010, 11:50 AM
I run my finger nails through my hair feeling for things to get off my scalp and all over. I try not to scratch too hard but for the most part I almost cant help it.

It makes my hair super oily which as long as I am not going anywhere I think it helps my hair! But I do it almost all day and my hair is growing!

:puppy:

coscass
January 19th, 2010, 11:51 AM
I think the only way you're going to get damage, if not significant damage, is if you were to rake your fingers back and forth against your scalp as if you were drying it with a towel, for an hour. lol.

Sweetness
January 19th, 2010, 12:13 PM
I think it's stress and life making us do things we're not made to do (ei. read school things 4 sitting hours strait, work long hours concentrated on paperwork, etc...)

I do this too... he's what I think :

if you mostly "massage" by moving the fingers around on the scalp with your rounded finger, this could actually be good for circulation, etc.

if you scratch with the nail the head surface looking for anything that could be "scratched of" and that this leads to a little bleeding or cut that try's to heal... and then you scratch THAT off the next day... and so on... then yes, it can lead to scars and damaged hair... same as picking at pimples on our face.

I know people who pick at their eyebrows or even pull out hair that feels "different", etc.

I had this nervous thing with my scalp and upper back... which HAS scars now (and I didn't have pimples per se, I just scratched and then scratched the broken skin... etc.)

it's all a vicious cycle. And I an trying very hard to stop any kind of mindless habits as these...

Happy to see that I'm not the only one doing this :oops:

DarkChocolate
January 19th, 2010, 12:19 PM
I often scritch and scratch my scalp to help with circulation:) I have not noticed any damage:)

WaitingSoLong
January 19th, 2010, 01:23 PM
I just recently quit this habit! Someone pointed it out to me, long story. Anyway, I asked the doctor to look and sure enough I had dermatitis of unknown origin on my head (no dandruff)which apparently I have had for years and perpetuated by picking (not scratching really, but picking). I picked mostly around the hairline, only occasionally further in. I had always thought it was my hairspray or something. I was told to use a dandruff shampoo. I used T-Gel. I promptly had an allergic reaction to whatever was in it and my whole head turned red and itched and hurt and I was afraid my hair would fall out.

It didn't.

But I tried another shampoo with a totally different ingredient. It is called Nizoral. It cured my bumps and now there is nothing there to pick at and I stopped! This was about 6 months ago or more.

At first I vehemently denied I had a scalp condition! I mean, why didn't ANY of my stylists ever say anything? And I did not seem to be able to see anything myself with mirrors. I was told that the picking CAUSED the bumps/pimple like things. Anyway, the condition comes back once in awhile and when I catch myself picking, I know it is time to buy more Nizoral.

I only use about a dime size puddle and only right on my scalp after my regular shampoo or conditioning routine. I swear it was good for my hair. The ingredient is an anti-fungal ingredient and people use miconozole (sp) for hair growth, right? Same principal. Perhaps.

restourceful
January 19th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Until I gave up commercial shampoo and conditioner I had always had an itchy, flaky, gunky scalp that I scratched all the time. Since I gave up the commercial stuff for my own homemade concoctions I have NO ITCHING! None. I don't scratch anymore. HOWEVER...I did a SMT a couple of days ago with White Rain Water Blossom conditioner that I had left over and it caused some itching again. I think next time I'll use something other than conditioner, or at least look for something organic.

But I'm certainly like all the other unaware scratchers here. I just don't know I'm doing it until I catch myself or it's pointed out to me.

Xandergrammy
January 19th, 2010, 01:59 PM
I've been doing this for over 30 years, and so far no ill effects. (Knock Wood)