PDA

View Full Version : Making Hair Thicker Again

Yarn Muse
January 18th, 2010, 09:59 PM
About ten years ago after childbirth I had a huge blood clot and had to be on coumadin for a long time. My thick hair fell out--not all of it of course--not half, but it was way thinner than before. After I stopped taking the coumadin, it did thicken up some, but not to its previous thickness.

So...now I'm 48 and I'd love to have my thickness back. I did chemically color my hair regularly but stopped 13 months ago. I also used a blow dryer a couple times a week, sometimes a curling iron, and did not take any supplements to help my hair.

Is there any hope to get my hair thicker again? Since joining LHC in November, I now take biotin, MSM, fish oil capsules, plus a multivitamin. I don't blow dry and I usually use a wide tooth comb or I finger comb. Any advice or suggestions?

rogue_psyche
January 19th, 2010, 01:36 AM
I think it is possible can at least notice a slight change in thickness and coarseness of hair after growing out chemical color. Chemical dyes will often bring on a shed, not to mention the damage to the cuticle, the protein loss, etc effecting the coarseness of the individual hairs. Some of my shed hairs are visibly finer where they've been bleached, so I think I can look forward to having coarser (and maybe thicker) hair once the chemical dye is grown out. It wouldn't be anything too dramatic, but I'd notice for sure.

Keep up the good work with a the vitamins and gentle handling. I'd also look into self trimming (http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim) so that you don't have to chance it with a stylist. Your hair is pretty in your profile pic, so you have a great start. :)

elina333
January 19th, 2010, 05:40 AM
Maybe try to add some extra protein to your diet as well. Its crucial for healthy hair and most people dont eat enough of it... So thats one things you could try. Good luck!

Yarn Muse
January 19th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Thanks for the tips! I will try to get more protein. How much is recommended per day? Guess that would be something easy to look up...

GoddesJourney
January 19th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Find out what makes you shed and stop doing it. I found that hot water, cones, sulphates, and brushing/over handling make my hair fall out. I cut out cones/sulphates and brushing and cut back a little on the hot water. Now I shed only a fraction of what I shed before and my hair went up from a ii to a ii/iii. I'm quite happy with that. Also, you to have to wait before you really see the effects. It will be about a year before all your new growth reaches your ponytail so you can measure the thickness.

rogue_psyche
January 19th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Find out what makes you shed and stop doing it. I found that hot water, cones, sulphates, and brushing/over handling make my hair fall out. I cut out cones/sulphates and brushing and cut back a little on the hot water. Now I shed only a fraction of what I shed before and my hair went up from a ii to a ii/iii. I'm quite happy with that. Also, you to have to wait before you really see the effects. It will be about a year before all your new growth reaches your ponytail so you can measure the thickness.

I forgot about hot water! In the winter I use warm water to wash my hair, cool water to rinse the conditioner, and cold water for a final rinse. In the summer I use cold water for everything. It really makes for smooth hair, as well as the decreased shedding.

redwoman
January 19th, 2010, 01:16 PM
What they all said plus an excellent diet, plenty of leafy greens, nuts for protein (or meat if you are so inclined) and keep on taking those vitamins, they cover the weak areas of your diet. Drink loads of water too. I'll get off my soapbox now.:p