PDA

View Full Version : Easy Up-dos for a Newbie Who Can't Braid

jmallen62691
January 18th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Yep. I can't braid. I do understand the concept of the three strand braid and I can easily braid someone else's hair, just not my own. If anyone has any tips to help me learn, I'd greatly appreciate it.

However, until I learn to braid better I need some very simple and easy updos that require no or very little braiding. Pretty much all long hairstyles are new to me, so don't assume I know even the most simple ones. My hair is only APL now and it's the longest I've ever had it in my life. Crazy, I know. So, please help and I'll love you forever. ;]

jmallen62691
January 18th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Also, how can I wear my hair to protect it while I sleep besides braids?

PorcelainHorror
January 18th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Also, how can I wear my hair to protect it while I sleep besides braids?

I normally put it in a bun on the top of my head with a scrunchy and tie a silk scarf around my head. It works well :]
As far as easy hair do's I don't know, I am horrible with that. :confused:

coscass
January 18th, 2010, 07:45 PM
It took me FOREVER to learn how to braid, and I'm still pretty bad at it. One day I just got it, and I wasn't even practicing. I sleep with mine in braids, or in a ponytail, or whatever, in a silk cap. I suggest you search YT for things like "5 minute updo" or "quick easy updo" etc. There are a lot of videos out there. One of my favorites is this, but I haven't been able to pull it off. Maybe you'll have better luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LD-HoEfPiE

This ones kinda cute too but you might have to modify it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55lA0qWkVjE&feature=related

artemis
January 18th, 2010, 07:50 PM
I wear my bsl hair in a pony tail every day :undecided I try to wear different clips/ties just to give some variety, but even though I can braid, I never really had much success with my hair staying braided (or bunned for that matter) until it got about halfway between bsl and waist. Your hair might get easier to braid as it gets longer. Can you do a French twist ('cause I sure can't!)... that might look nice and be a good up-do for your length :)

Pierre
January 18th, 2010, 11:49 PM
What hairtoys do you have? I love Flexis, have four different sizes, and can do all sorts of updos with them. Right now I'm wearing one I made up; the hair on both sides is brought forward, then folded in a bight over my forehead held with a Flexi, then the loose ends are held together on my crown with a third Flexi.

To sleep, I wear a Buff, but a bun on top is good too.

As to braids, here's how I do a Dutch braid: Put both hands on top of the head with the palms down and fingers facing forward. Split a little hair just above the forehead on the left side among the first three slots of the left hand (the fourth slot is not used). Transfer slot 2 left to slot 3 right, then grab the other two hanks of hair, 1 left to 2 right and 3 left to 1 right. Pick up some hair into slot 1 with the right thumb. Repeat, switching hands and moving backward.

I'd like to do a merged reverse Dutch braid (start at the back of the head, go to the forehead, merge the two in front of my face, and flip the merged braid back) but my shoulder isn't fully healed from a fall and I can't contort the arm in the necessary way.

Alcenaia
January 19th, 2010, 12:05 AM
Look in the articles section here at the LHC. I just discovered the hair style section of it today, and I am inspired! :D

I also am not very capable of braiding my own hair, especially at the nape...but I am practicing. I will get it!

When I sleep, I wear a mask, which seems to keep it fairly contained even with just the band, and flop the length over the head of the bed. I've recently started trying to braid at night though, because it's an excuse to practice, and no one is going to comment on the excuse for a braid hanging off my head. :p

I also recommend the French twist. You could take a stab at a looped through ponytail too. (I think this is called a topsy tail here.)

Welcome, from someone who is also pretty new. :)

julliams
January 19th, 2010, 05:37 AM
What I suggest is learning to do the steps very slowly. Baby steps. Learn to do the first part, using the three strands then just let it go. Practice this until you can do it without thinking and then go a little further. Part of the problem is that your arms are most likely getting sore and so this method will build up your muscles a little to assist with braiding. I personally learnt all my braiding on myself in the dark - sitting up in bed with the lights out and just getting the feel of what I am doing rather than trying to watch myself in a mirror. Before long you will be doing it without even needing to think about it.

Juliette

enfys
January 19th, 2010, 05:42 AM
Try braiding just the front of your hair; it's a lot lesstiring for your arms. I can't Frech braid very well because I get tired arms. It needs loads of perseverance.

There should be some buns you can do at your length, surely a sock bun? Check out the articles on this site, the link is at the top.

Long hair styles on Youtube should cater for you since you have what fashion calls long hair. Just avoid any backcombing or excessive hairspray if you can.

seethruugirl
January 19th, 2010, 07:09 AM
coscas- thanks for posting those videos! I always forget to look at youtube! Those videos with the music crack me up!!! :) Its a cute hairstyle though I might have to try it. Thanks again for posting those!

lapushka
January 19th, 2010, 09:48 AM
This might be a good tutorial to learn how to braid. This lady actually shows you by braiding her own hair and by telling you how to at the same time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvqjFiDUIwE&feature=channel

jmallen62691
January 19th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I guess I'm just gonna practice, practice, practice. I don't have any hair toys yet, other than the basic bands and clips and such. I'll have to figure out what a flexi is. ;] I already want some hair sticks pretty badly. Thanks for the videos. I have to have a visual or it makes no sense to me at all. Thanks again. I'm off to attempt some sleep braids. :]

celluloidwings
January 19th, 2010, 08:26 PM
I just found out two seconds ago that if I part my hair into two sections and pull it forward I can braid it into two mini tails. You've got quite a bit more length then I do to practice with though. I've also got lots of layers. Like everyone else has said though, practice a bunch and you'll get the hang of it.

Yozhik
January 19th, 2010, 08:32 PM
French twists are easy and look great :)
Basically, you gather your hair in a ponytail, twist in one direction until the hair gets tight enough so it folds back in a kink against your head, and then pull the tail part up so it lies flat against your head. You can secure this with a clip or fork or one of those butterfly jawclip thingies :)
As for braiding, I found a video on youtube a while back where a woman demonstrates how to braid using panty hose (I guess because it has the same general thickness as hair). Maybe try doing that, and then do it behind you? Or, you could practice braiding pigtails, because that way you can see what you're doing ;)
Good luck!