PDA

View Full Version : swine flu hair problems

squiggyflop
January 18th, 2010, 05:19 PM
i had the swine flu a few months back... my body didnt have lasting problems after i got over it (dad wasnt so lucky as he got a hernia from coughing).. but my hair and nails havent been really growing.. its been 2.5 months and i still have the lump in my nail from the week when i was sickest.. i ended up losing 10 pounds because during the illness i couldnt eat for a week.. well it was 15 but i gained back 5 water pounds.. i had to be put on steroids and antibiotics because i had gotten a complication.. (the swine flu lead to a nasty bacterial infection in my lungs.. i followed the full course)

anyway i cut off 2 inches of damaged ends and im terrified that it may take 6 months to get it back.. my hair has grown less than a centimeter since i got sick.. and ive shed a ton during the illness..

has anyone else had this problem? anyone know a way to get my hair and nails back to normal? im really worried.....

ps this is my 3,000th post

YoginiCelestial
January 18th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Hi squiggyflop,
Congrats on your 3,000th post!

I'm sorry you're having trouble with hair loss and nail problems.
I am no doctor, but glad to hear that you are getting better, slowly but surely....
and my best advise to you is take a multi-vitamin everyday, drink plenty of water, be sure to eat your fresh fruits and veggies, protein, and get plenty of exercise, and good rest.
Hope you will soon see new hair growth and healthy nails! :)

Carolyn
January 18th, 2010, 06:21 PM
My take on it is your body used all it's energy and resourses to heal. It didn't use them to grow hair while you were sick and then recovering. Get back to a normal healthy eating routine, take your vitamins, drink lots of water and get plenty of sleep. I'll be in a month or two you'll start seeing growth again. Try not to stress too much over it if you can. I know that could be hard as we're such hair worriers here. I'd be doing the same thing :D

Saldana
January 18th, 2010, 07:29 PM
I had it too, as did my sister - certainly not the most pleasant Christmas holidays I've ever had.

My hair growth has been slow lately, but it's winter, and my hair usually slows down until about March or April.....maybe yours has too?

I'll echo the above advice - make sure you get excellent nutrition, take your vitamins, drink LOTS of water, and get extra rest.

I'm sure your hair will start right back up again!

turtlelover
January 18th, 2010, 08:22 PM
I had the same thing --- I was sick for over a MONTH w/ what I think was swine flu, and it definitely stalled my hair growth. I would just focus on taking the best possible care of yourself to give your body a chance to recuperate.

tralalalara
January 18th, 2010, 10:07 PM
as said before, Don't Stress! Your body is probably still building its strength up, so taking a multivitamin isn't a bad idea.

And I've been told that I have long thick fast-growing fingernails because I drink a lot of milk and eat a lot of meat.

squiggyflop
January 19th, 2010, 08:42 AM
as said before, Don't Stress! Your body is probably still building its strength up, so taking a multivitamin isn't a bad idea.

And I've been told that I have long thick fast-growing fingernails because I drink a lot of milk and eat a lot of meat.

ok so everyone is in agreement that its time to take a multi.. ok i can do that.. ill take it every morning before my caffeine pills (i have severe adhd so i have to take caffeine to calm me down before i go to class..)

hehe tralalalara i DO eat a ton of meat.. ive cut my dairy down to a quart a day though.. i used to drink a whole gallon a day.. i just couldnt justify drinking 1300 calories of milk a day anymore..

actually my fastest growing speed of 3 inches a month was back when i used to drink a gallon a day of milk.. probably coincidence