PDA

View Full Version : Air drying

coscass
January 18th, 2010, 05:04 PM
This seems like a dumb thing to make a topic on, but it's really become a problem for me. My hair usually takes 3+ hours to dry. It never used to bother me that much, until it started getting really cold out. Plus, once I get a job, I won't have 3 or 4 hours to devote to air drying. I've tried washing earlier in the day and it helps a little, but not much. It's still just as bothersome.

I plopped for about 4 hours and my hair was still wet, which I expected it to be damp at least, but not WET like it was. I did get nice curls, though, after using a diffuser on it.

I get out of the shower, wring the water out of my hair, run a comb through it, toss in some conditioner- and let it air dry. Still, it can take up to 4+ hours to dry.

I try not to run/walk in front of a fan or touch it or else i get horrible frizz, but I just can't deal with this anymore. Unless I find a good way to dry it, I'm going to have to go back to diffusing every time I shower, and I DON'T want to :(

elina333
January 18th, 2010, 05:11 PM
I have the same problem... Do you have to wash it every day? Otherwise washing it on sunday and then maybe wednesday..? Try some dry schampoo in between perhaps? Also there is certain hair towels that are made of microfiber, which dries the hair faster. The frizz might be an issue though...

coscass
January 18th, 2010, 05:13 PM
I have the same problem... Do you have to wash it every day? Otherwise washing it on sunday and then maybe wednesday..? Try some dry schampoo in between perhaps? Also there is certain hair towels that are made of microfiber, which dries the hair faster. The frizz might be an issue though...
No I don't wash it every day, usually every third day. It's not so much my hair gets oily, it just gets... You can tell it needs to be washed. I try to wait 3 days now, but it's difficult. I think since it's winter I just want to be in the shower all the time, lol, in the warm water.

Even only washing on the third day, it's still really, really annoying. If I go to bed with wet hair, I usually end up with a sinus infection.

Paliele
January 18th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Does it need to be dry? I put my hair up wet before work/school and just wear it like that all day. It's still pretty wet when I take it down, but then I can dry it when it's convenient instead of in the morning.

coscass
January 18th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Does it need to be dry? I put my hair up wet before work/school and just wear it like that all day. It's still pretty wet when I take it down, but then I can dry it when it's convenient instead of in the morning.Sort of. I live in Michigan, and if I run around with wet hair I tend to get sick. I know that's been proven to be untrue, but I really do get headcolds and sinus infections if I run around with wet hair. The headaches are horrible and usually hit me upon waking up the next day. At least my scalp needs to be dry.

Mutinous
January 18th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Could you wash it at night? That's what I do, so you don't have to worry about leaving the house in the morning with wet hair, and you get to lie in bed a bit longer in the morning :)

EdG
January 18th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Turn up the thermostat or use a portable electric heater to heat up the room.

Raising the temperature will speed up air-drying. :)
Ed

Carolyn
January 18th, 2010, 06:30 PM
I see that you said you just wring your hair out. You didn't mention wrapping it in a towel or turbie twist type towel. That would soak up a lot of the water. I've tried all sorts of hair towels but my favorite is the thinnish terry bath towel from K Mart. Cheapie towel. The warmer room suggestion is a good one. That would help a lot too.

If you scalp hair is almost dry then you put it up it should dry fast. Put your hair in a bun or braid and make yourself a Calorimetry or a Hannah hat. I think you can find links to the patterns in the knitting thread.

Cinnamon Hair
January 18th, 2010, 06:38 PM
My hair dries faster when I comb it serveral times during the drying process. I also second the idea of turning on a space heater after you get out of the shower and wearing a turbie towel for the first 15 mins. or so.

nowxisxforever
January 18th, 2010, 06:40 PM
I wash my hair about 3-4 days apart, just before bed, and flip it over the top of my pillow to dry. I don't have any drying problems! :)

Stormcast
January 18th, 2010, 06:57 PM
I know other people have said this, but maybe you could switch from bathing in the morning to night. I do this, usually shower at about 8 then let my hair dry before bed, and if it's still wet, I just braid it (double or single) and go to sleep. Viola! Hair is dry (for the most part) in the moring!

Kristin
January 18th, 2010, 07:05 PM
I completely feel your pain. I actually found LHC when I was looking for ways to dry my hair faster without a blow dryer. I live in Ohio and we keep our heat low, so I'm always freezing when walk around with wet hair. Personally, I don't think washing at night will help because that's what I do. Even if I shower at 7, my hair won't be dry by bedtime, and if i put it in a braid/bun, it won't be dry in the morning. Plus, sleeping with wet hair in the winter in a cold house is beyond uncomfortable.

I don't really have a good suggestion. Maybe less frequent washing? Scalp washes? I think the ladies who aren't bothered by this problem have just had long hair so long they don't even notice the discomfort anymore!

trolleypup
January 18th, 2010, 07:17 PM
My hair used to take forever to dry...now it just takes a long time.

When I was using S&C regularly it held a lot more water...now, WO with a vinegar rinse for the scalp, after the last water rinse, it is barely dripping, turban it up in a big cheap microfiber towel (the dog towels are good too) for a half hour, hair is just damp after that. If I agitate or comb it at that point it dries very quickly...if I don't, it is dry in a couple hours as long as I don't put it up.

I guess I'm lucky that I don't have any repercussions if I wash just before bed and toss it out on a microfiber towel while I sleep...or put it up damp and leave it up for the day.

coscass
January 18th, 2010, 07:26 PM
I completely feel your pain. I actually found LHC when I was looking for ways to dry my hair faster without a blow dryer. I live in Ohio and we keep our heat low, so I'm always freezing when walk around with wet hair. Personally, I don't think washing at night will help because that's what I do. Even if I shower at 7, my hair won't be dry by bedtime, and if i put it in a braid/bun, it won't be dry in the morning. Plus, sleeping with wet hair in the winter in a cold house is beyond uncomfortable.

I don't really have a good suggestion. Maybe less frequent washing? Scalp washes? I think the ladies who aren't bothered by this problem have just had long hair so long they don't even notice the discomfort anymore!We really haven't had that harsh of a winter, but I don't get heat in my room, so I totally know what you're saying. It'll stay wet if I braid or bun it, and is uncomfortable to sleep on even still damp. And I can shower at 6 if I wan't- and go to bed at 12. It'll still be damp lol. Ah well. I guess I'll just have to suck it up or try the space heater idea.