PDA

View Full Version : Cosmo and their "Rapunzel Worthy" Secrects

LittleOrca
January 18th, 2010, 02:32 PM
My sister subscribed to Cosmo years ago and we still get her magazines to this day. I was downstairs cooking when I saw this month's Cosmo (actually, Feb 2010). I usually ignore these magazines since I tend to disagree with modern fashion and 95% of the magazines are ads anyways. Right on the cover though was written: "Get long hair fast! 3 Rapunzel-Worthy Secrets."

I rolled my eyes a little, figuring this was a product ploy, but I decided to look anyways with that in mind. After 10 pages of ads I found the table of contents and turned to the very back of the magazine to find out what their secrets are. I tried to find it online to post a link to, but I couldn't. Even searching "Rapunzel" on their site got negative hair articles... yet they use it in a positive way in this magazine... :rolleyes:

Anyways, basically the article started out with nutrition information.

...experts agree that the right foods, supplements, and hair-care techniques can boost the results.Of course they went on to add:

Make these little changes-- or pop in some awesome extensions (see side bar on page 191)-- and watch your locks reach lusciously epic lengths."Lusciously epic lengths" in this case is APL to BSL length.

They did talk about how trimming your hair does not make it grow faster. It does say to get your ends trimmed regularly to prevent damage and what not, but it never says what regularly is. I assume every six weeks, but regularly is different for different people.

The article wrote that
ODing on hair products ... and using moisture-zapping heat tools stunt growth. Reverse the damage with these DIY fixes once a week.What? You mean the magazine that follows popular culture that said the InStyler was awesome and agrees about no damage is saying that heat tools stunt growth and cause damage? :blueeek: Isn't that against the law? :lol:

Printed on top of a picture of a woman looking like she is feeling a little too pleased with what EVOO is doing to her hair (and a little comment on there that states EVOO is great for your hair), was written:

For a strand-spouting clean scalp: Shake together one part witch hazel with one part mouthwash (astringents that remove buildup.) Pour into a spray bottle and spritz all over your scalp. Massage it in for five minutes, then rinse.(For that minty fresh hair!)

For strong, nourished strands: Warm 1 cup olive oil in the microwave until it's lukewarm then pour over wet hair, combing it through from root to tips. Wrap a towel around your head and hang out for 20 minutes. Then rinse, shampoo, and condition to lock in moisture.Those were two "Rapunzel-Worth Rituals" listed in the magazine and I was wondering if anyone has used a treatment like this first one (since the second is pretty common around here) or what you all thought about the treatment.

The rest of the article went on to talk about what products to use to make your hair nice, strong, lovely, soft, and to rethink what you brush your hair with and to only pick shampoos and conditioners with shea butter or avocado oil (don't tell my sister, she's allergic to avocados!)

So it seems that some of our "secrets" have gotten out, just tweaked to seem like fresh new ideas and put in a beauty magazine while within it they add hair products advertisements. Interesting, no?

melrose1985
January 18th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Sounds like a good read. I like when they put stuff in that you can actually do at home.

violeteyes
January 18th, 2010, 02:47 PM
I think I might go and pick that up :) I saw it in the grocery store yesterday and I wondered if it was going to be just a bogus article that they printed to promote their sponsors, but it doesn't look like it now.

LittleOrca
January 18th, 2010, 02:49 PM
I think I might go and pick that up :) I saw it in the grocery store yesterday and I wondered if it was going to be just a bogus article that they printed to promote their sponsors, but it doesn't look like it now.

It's a very short article, all of 2 pages once you get rid of the pictures, probably four with them. :)

littlemoon
January 18th, 2010, 02:52 PM
very interesting. i always have mixed feelings about reading real, working, proven on LHC tips in magazines, because part of me feels like theyre stealing the knowledge and that it should be ours and only ours! :smirk:

but then the other (larger, more sensible part) of me remembers that everyone gets their tips from a. someone else, or b. experimenting. and all the girls i see who have the potential to have beautiful, healthy, long hair that i just want to spew about 'cones to, could be reading this cosmo right now, and reaching their full hair potential that everyone has a right to achieve :)

and i was surprised they bashed heat products, too!

Clarisse
January 18th, 2010, 02:54 PM
They "discover" our tips and make people pay money to get to know these "brand new, revolutionary" hair "secrets". Something confuses me a bit though... EVOO-treatments and ditching heat tools... No one earns money from this? :P
If everybody starts treating their hair well from now on... In about 6 years, everyone will walk around with healthy, waistlength locks!

MandyBeth
January 18th, 2010, 02:55 PM
While I'm not on the side that views witch hazel as problematic for skin - as I'm a frequent topical arnica user and that's almost always suspended in witch hazel, and I've used witch hazel VERY successfully to heal large tattoos and found it to work better than most "brand" names. I do know people who think witch hazel is the most evil thing you can put on your skin, so 6 of one, half doze of the other....

But alcohol (which is what they are using the mouthwash for) and witch hazel mixed will at least temporarily remove oil. Think of how the 80's and 90's toners worked, they made your skin tight and tingly at first. That's because they were alcohol and witch hazel - and I think if you go to the store now, they are probably much the same.

So does it remove oil - oh yes, very well. A little too well in fact. Think back to the toner. Remember how itchy and dry your face felt a few hours later? That's what this will do to your scalp. And your hair. While my scalp is prone to oil, my little fine hairs are crying and screaming at the idea of putting alcohol on them like that.

HOWEVER - if someone is determined to use this method - buy the toner instead. Witch hazel smells very strongly of garlic hummus, and mixed with minty alcohol - does not smell lovely and fresh to say the least.

Plus - REALLY? - I can undo all the damage done to my hair? Nope. Hair is dead. I damage it, I damage it, and that's about it really. If I could fix damage to my hair, I could fix split ends.

Those extensions are mighty damaging also.

Tho' the day people are convinced that a soap cleaner (which has less suds commonly) works as well and is better than a detergent cleaner (which has lots of suds), I will be shocked. Suds apparently equals clean. I'm using soap as in a fat mixed with lye for a saponified fat. If I spelled that right, I'll be shocked.

Eboshi
January 18th, 2010, 03:15 PM
1 cup of olive oil ? :eek: The number of shampoos that I would have to do in order to wash out all that oil would probably counterbalance any conditioning effects that I got from it in the first place.

My pre-wash deep oilings involve at most, a scant 1/2 teaspoon of coconut or camellia oil on my past-classic hair.

MandyBeth
January 18th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Heh, my hair uses a palmful in my nape alone of EVOO. But then maybe a teaspoon for the rest of my hair.

But I think wrapping it straight up with a towel would blot up a lot of the oil - but got me. My hair likes plastic wrap and old diapers for pre-wraps and drying. It thinks towels are evil.....

ravenreed
January 18th, 2010, 04:38 PM
I use several tablespoons of oil for a pre-wash treatment, and that is a lot of oil. A whole cup, on my almost-but-not-quite tb length hair would be dripping! Ick.

Juneii
January 18th, 2010, 04:49 PM
the alcohol and witch hazel sounds pretty good to me. I have freakishly oily hair even though I tried everything to make it better. (leaving it alone so the oils would balance itself out, giving up and clarifying my hair daily etc)

other than that I just went "OH PLEASE" I highly doubt most of the readers have patience to grow out their hair. I have so many friends saying "you have such long hair! I want long hair too". and they try to grow it out and chop it off before it gets past APL because it takes too long and it looks bad while it's in the awkward stage.

piratejenny23
January 18th, 2010, 04:52 PM
i am familiar with the witch hazel & Listerine mix as an old-fashioned dandruff remedy. i have tried it a couple of times and it does leave your scalp very clean without feeling stripped; i guess this might encourage hair growth if the follicles were clogged/blocked.

i've been using Sea Breeze facial astringent because it's easier & less smelly, and my hairdresser recommended it. i thought it would be too drying for my scalp, considering how much a toner can make your skin tingle & tighten, but Sea Breeze is actually very soothing and usually clears up any inflammation & flakes for several days.

Fiferstone
January 18th, 2010, 05:33 PM
The mouthwash thing sounds a bit wierd, especially if people use any standard store brand containing alcohol. No thanks.

nowxisxforever
January 18th, 2010, 06:57 PM
The mouthwash thing sounds a bit wierd, especially if people use any standard store brand containing alcohol. No thanks.

Listerine used to be marketed as a dandruff remedy. It's not that far-fetched! :)

Copasetic
January 18th, 2010, 07:15 PM
I read this article, and almost started a thread about it because I was shocked that he advice wasn't half bad . . . considering the source ;)

ktani
January 18th, 2010, 07:20 PM
There is an entire thread devoted to Listerine, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=720.

AmericanWoman
January 18th, 2010, 07:22 PM
I think one cup of olive oil is waaaaay too much. They'll have people writing in " I washed 40 times and I couldn't get it out!)

Cinnamon Hair
January 21st, 2010, 08:15 PM
I just got this issue of Cosmopolitan today (my mail must be slow) so I wanted to comment.

There is a full page photo of a woman with a bottle of olive oil being poured over her head. It is laughable! That poor girl with olive oil in her ears and everywhere else... oh geez! :rollin:

Leena7
January 21st, 2010, 08:31 PM
About the the cup of olive oil thing, I use almost a cup of olive oil on my shoulder length hair, probably closer to 2/3 or 3/4 of a cup actually. However, I don't leave it on very long. I wrap it in plastic and then leave it on for about 20 minutes. So far, I have been able to wash the oil out easily. I condition it a bit, shampoo once, and condition again. Maybe the reason it works for me is because I don't leave it on long?

Masara
January 21st, 2010, 10:49 PM
I'm feeling very smug right now; my favourite conditioner is Ultra doux shea butter and avocado oil. I can fianlly say I'm doing something "as suggested in cosmo" and that certainly doesn't happen very often.

Buddaphlyy
January 22nd, 2010, 03:00 PM
So it seems that some of our "secrets" have gotten out, just tweaked to seem like fresh new ideas and put in a beauty magazine while within it they add hair products advertisements. Interesting, no?

That's because it wasn't our "secret" and the tips mentioned here are not new or exclusive. As far as I know, no member here has copyrighted any tips because 9 times out of 10, they read it from somewhere else. Not to mention that Cosmo has been around longer than TLHC.

And if you read the magazine regularly, you would know this actually isn't the first time they have had articles about obtaining long hair with good information.

CaityBear
January 22nd, 2010, 03:10 PM
I use a fair bit of oil, but definately not a cup. I probably use between 1/4 and 1/2 cup because I like my hair fairly well drenched if I'm doing a heavy oiling. If it's just a moderate oiling before a shower then I use about a tablespoon.

I have use Listerine for the itchyness in my scalp. It worked so well! I have always had problems with dandruff, but of course it's easy to handle in summer, gets bad in winter and I went through a period where my hair was itchy all the time and showering only took away the itchiness for about 2 hours. Listerine really helped to get rid of the itchiness and flakes.

I use witch hazel on my face and have never had a problem with that, but not on my hair.

LittleOrca
January 22nd, 2010, 03:33 PM
That's because it wasn't our "secret" and the tips mentioned here are not new or exclusive. As far as I know, no member here has copyrighted any tips because 9 times out of 10, they read it from somewhere else. Not to mention that Cosmo has been around longer than TLHC.

And if you read the magazine regularly, you would know this actually isn't the first time they have had articles about obtaining long hair with good information.

Saying our "secrets" didn't mean the use of these ideas was born in the LHC and only the LHC knows about them. What it meant was that for a magazine that tells us to buy lipstick X, jeans Y, and useless-crud Z to make ourselves look like a pale comparison of their plastic airbrushed models, it was a surprise. And I'd rather not read Cosmo regularly... I like my braincells. ;)

MandyBeth
January 22nd, 2010, 03:40 PM
And I'd rather not read Cosmo regularly... I like my braincells. ;)

Awww, but my braincells LIKE Cosmo - it's like some nice :brainbleach: after a long day.....

Buddaphlyy
January 22nd, 2010, 04:29 PM
Saying our "secrets" didn't mean the use of these ideas was born in the LHC and only the LHC knows about them. What it meant was that for a magazine that tells us to buy lipstick X, jeans Y, and useless-crud Z to make ourselves look like a pale comparison of their plastic airbrushed models, it was a surprise. And I'd rather not read Cosmo regularly... I like my braincells. ;)

Cosmo also has articles on health, how to find jobs, donate to little known charities, and defend yourself. And I don't see how reading anything could waste brain cells, but that's just me. :cool:

hendrix.co
March 14th, 2010, 06:57 AM
I am a fan of this olive oil trick. I drench my hair tie it in a loose pony tail and let it hang out for a bit. Then I wash and condition like normal. It is soo soft after.
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj100/hendrixco/My%20photos/17943_1320661212132_1098851562_3099.jpg

Calista
March 14th, 2010, 07:17 AM
Usually everybody here is all about "YMMV" and "whatever works for you" - and now people bash the idea of using a whole cup of olive oil, just because the tip comes out of a fashion magazine? :shrug:

Bonkers57
March 14th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Touche, Calista! I like the concept of not bashing so much! :D

Usually everybody here is all about "YMMV" and "whatever works for you" - and now people bash the idea of using a whole cup of olive oil, just because the tip comes out of a fashion magazine? :shrug:

JenniferNoel
March 14th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Answer me this. What exactly does bashing accomplish other than venting unnecessary personal opinions that may offend/conflict with others alike?

Anyways, I don't read any magazines other than boating/flying, but I managed to pick up my 14 year old cousin's cosmo girl magazine about a year ago and all I saw was ads, ads, ads, and a few plastic people here and there. Some people find it entertaining to read, and I'm perfectly respectful of that. I choose, on the other hand, not to read magazines that try to tell me how to live. :cool:

2peasinapod
March 14th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Answer me this. What exactly does bashing accomplish other than venting unnecessary personal opinions that may offend/conflict with others alike?

I don't think anyone is bashing intentionally (at least I'm not). It's just that fashion magazines are generally know to promote hair products, heat styling, and other things that aren't really good for the hair.

To be honest, I had never heard of using Listerine, witch hazel, or a whole cup of olive oil for hair before. If I had read it on this board first, I would have been open to it, but from a magazine that's given questionable advice in the past, I would be :confused::cool::confused:.

I was also surprised to read about them promoting things that don't make $$$ for the fashion industry. It's not a judgment, it's just that fashion magazines generally promote fashion.

And, yes, I read fashion magazines (including Cosmo).:D

contradiction
March 14th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Anyways, I don't read any magazines other than boating/flying, but I managed to pick up my 14 year old cousin's cosmo girl magazine about a year ago and all I saw was ads, ads, ads, and a few plastic people here and there. Some people find it entertaining to read, and I'm perfectly respectful of that. I choose, on the other hand, not to read magazines that try to tell me how to live

Doesn't a boating magazine tell you how to live too? Beauty magazines tell you what to buy for things like makeup and clothes, wouldn't a boating magazine suggest you buy boat-related accessories and go boating a lot? There's really no difference.

AmericanWoman
March 14th, 2010, 03:36 PM
1 cup of olive oil ? :eek: The number of shampoos that I would have to do in order to wash out all that oil would probably counterbalance any conditioning effects that I got from it in the first place.

My pre-wash deep oilings involve at most, a scant 1/2 teaspoon of coconut or camellia oil on my past-classic hair.

Yeah, I can just imagine some newbie trying to get 1 cup of olive oil out of their shoulder length or shorter locks. They'll probably stop buying Cosmo. lol

Fractalsofhair
March 14th, 2010, 04:48 PM
A whole cup is about what I used when my hair was fried in the past. For the record, I have crazy thick hair that would drink up a quarter cup to a 1/2 cup with ease when it was damaged. Even now, a tablespoon is what it likes, despite my hair being more oily now naturally. It's mid neck length.