PDA

View Full Version : Hope for DBF's thinning hair?

mellie89
January 18th, 2010, 01:55 PM
I was wondering if anyone could help my boyfriend out with a thinning issue.

His hair has noticeably thinned since I met him 18 months ago. His scalp is most noticeable around his cowlick in the back, but it is also visible through the hair on the top of his head. I’ve also noticed that his hairline has receded a bit.

He’s only 19, so this is really affecting his self-esteem. His dad has a full head of hair, so it’s hard to believe that he is just really unlucky.

A bit more info: He washes his hair every day with Suave Daily Clarifying and brushes it a couple times per day. He’s used the same shampoo for years. (I told him he should try changing his shampoo.) He doesn’t use conditioner. His hair is medium length for the average guy and gets very greasy if he goes a day without washing. He is on medication for allergies and asthma, but has been for years.

Any advice would be appreciated! I’m not sure if anything can be done or if I provided enough information, but I figured it was worth asking. Thanks in advance! :flower:

coscass
January 18th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Is his hair actually thinning, or is it so heavy it's weighing his hair down and showing his scalp?

My sister had an issue like this a few years back. What it was, was she wasn't getting all the shampoo and conditioner out of her hair. It built up on her scalp, and was literally killing her hair (I konw hair is already dead, but you get the idea :P). Her scalp couldn't breathe. So pick up some tea tree conditioner, or just have him switch shampoo brands (one shampoo breaks down the build up of another shampoo, which is why some people switch shampoos every other wash).

Shampooing and combing too often can lead to damage and hairloss. I'd tell him to stop shampooing every day. He's stripping his natural oils out (As you know already, I'm sure), making his roots brittle and more prone to breakage. So if he doesn't want to get on board with a conditioner, at least tell him to stop shampooing every day.Also, make sure he's getting enough protein in his diet.

If it doesn't run in the family, making a few changes should set him back on track. My cousin, J, always wore his hair in the long, 90s look most guys wore back then with the checkered jackets etc. His hair stated to thin, and he's only 29. But his was hereditary, and he's had to accept it.

kwaniesiam
January 18th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Suave Clarifying shampoo is really harsh for daily washing. Have him change shampoos, he could be allergic to the sulfates in it as well which is causing major shedding.

xoxophelia
January 18th, 2010, 02:07 PM
I know guys who have gone nearly completely bald by the age of 22. My last boyfriend was one of them. He eventually shaved it all off and it really isn't bad looking. He can pull it off for sure. If your boyfriend has a nice face and doesn't have the fat rolls in the back then he probably can as well.

My brother also started to have thinning hair at around that time. His hair is fairly thin on top now and he is 24. It isn't so thin that he should shave it though as it still looks pretty good as long as it doesn't get too too long.

It could be years before he really has to worry about it, but I would just accept it and deal with it as it comes. Maybe shave it all off now and regrow so he can see how it would look and then get over the fear if he is still a hot lol.

Anje
January 18th, 2010, 02:08 PM
^^^ Agreed. He's using a really harsh shampoo, which won't help anything. (ETA: My DH really loves his CV shampoo bars. He uses them without a vinegar rinse and finds that this gives him quite a bit of volume.)

Honestly, I think he probably should look into Rogaine, or something similar. It's making a considerable difference for DH, now that he's been using it for a few months.

It's unlikely that his father's appearance will indicate whether this is genetic. Male-pattern baldness is considered X-linked, meaning that it's inherited from the mother's side in guys. What's his maternal grandfather look like?

restourceful
January 18th, 2010, 02:18 PM
I agree about the maternal grandfather link for the most part, but not always. My grandfather was nearly completely bald but both my brothers, ages 51 and 46, still have full heads of hair.

My DH, on the other hand, only has fringe. But he shaves it with the clippers on the lowest setting and looks really HOT :eyebrows:! His motto is, "God only made a few perfect heads; all the rest he covered with hair."

GlassEyes
January 18th, 2010, 02:19 PM
^^^ Agreed. He's using a really harsh shampoo, which won't help anything. (ETA: My DH really loves his CV shampoo bars. He uses them without a vinegar rinse and finds that this gives him quite a bit of volume.)

Honestly, I think he probably should look into Rogaine, or something similar. It's making a considerable difference for DH, now that he's been using it for a few months.

It's unlikely that his father's appearance will indicate whether this is genetic. Male-pattern baldness is considered X-linked, meaning that it's inherited from the mother's side in guys. What's his maternal grandfather look like?

Actually, new stuides have found that it's linked to both sides of the family. :shrug: I forget the exact wording.

I'd have him look into sulfate allergies. Does he complain about his scalp being tender? If he does, that might cause shedding.

Otherwise, a trip to a dermatologist would be the first step, then likely rogaine or some other similar thing.

jera
January 18th, 2010, 02:26 PM
I was wondering if anyone could help my boyfriend out with a thinning issue.

His hair has noticeably thinned since I met him 18 months ago. His scalp is most noticeable around his cowlick in the back, but it is also visible through the hair on the top of his head. I’ve also noticed that his hairline has receded a bit.

He’s only 19, so this is really affecting his self-esteem. His dad has a full head of hair, so it’s hard to believe that he is just really unlucky.

A bit more info: He is on medication for allergies and asthma, but has been for years. :flower:

Is he on steroids for his asthma ? That will cause hair loss.

Little_Bird
January 18th, 2010, 02:59 PM
O absolutly don't agree than he should give in to the thinning issue...

I'd start by switching shampoo's, as some users said. If the problem remains, remember that as Glass Eyes said, it cam be from his mother's side. Generally it's the oposite gender, at least that's what I've read.

In the Male Long Hair Hyperboard, I've read about some treatments that can be done about Male Pattern Baldness, but I can't recall what they were.
I know that it's related to a chemical reaction that happens because of testosterone, or related to it at least, and there are shampoo's that can prevent and fight this reaction, which causes hair loss...

Have your boyfriend do some research, or you can search for him too. Maybe asking opinions on the MLHH wouldn't be a bad idea either :flower:

I wish you the best luck... Hopefully it's just a temporary shed :)

Bellalalala
January 18th, 2010, 04:01 PM
There are extremely impressive drugs on the market for hairloss.

Propecia (or equivalent) has proven to be very successful, especially when started during the early phases of hair-loss.

It is prescription and therefore must be undertaken with the supervision of a doctor.

kittensoupnrice
January 18th, 2010, 04:32 PM
I agree with most of the ladies here. Try him on a BBB if his hair can stand it, or showing him some massage techniques might help, too.

Another idea (a little more radical I will admit) is to try varying his diet. It isn't unheard of for some food allergies to cause hair thinning. Maybe try cutting out wheat or milk, etc, for a month and see what happens?

Juneii
January 18th, 2010, 04:57 PM
I would suggest changing shampoos too. and it might just be genetic. I have a friend who's parents and family have dark brown hair even in their late 40s without a single white hair, but his hair is almost 30% white hairs.

In the shampoos defense I use it every day and it is the best one for my hair. I actually lost less hair because of it. My hair is very oily and the oils and dead skin builds up by the end of the day - other shampoos just can't seem to clean it out well enough and I get painful pimples on my scalp because of it. everyone's hair is different however.

mellie89
January 18th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Thank you for the wonderful advice, everyone! First step will definitely be getting him to try a new shampoo. We’ll see what happens.

Coscass, yes it is thinning. It has always been on the thin side, but his scalp has only started showing recently. Also, it’s not really long enough to be pulled down by its own weight.

Anje, that’s pretty interesting. His maternal grandfather is mostly bald, but I don’t know when he began balding. DBF’s mother also has fine/thin hair, but I always chalked it up to overprocessing. Maybe he’s just got to make the most of what he’s got.

GlassEyes, I will ask him if his scalp ever feels tender. Also, will tell him to consider a dermatologist appointment if the shampoo switching doesn’t help.

I won’t love him any less if it is just a genetic predisposition, but I also want to try to help him if I can. :)

DavidN
January 19th, 2010, 04:38 AM
I am genuinely sorry to hear this, Mellie89, and glad that your fellow members were able to give you some advice.

Have your BF had the chance to see a dermatologist? Those doctors have the medical background to assess things, and also detemine if he is indeed losing his hair, or if it could be due to other things. The dermatologist might suggest using medications like propecia, which is very effective against MPB, especially for the young. Hair loss can be stopped dead in its tracks or even reversed. However, the medication is fairly expensive, and many insurance plans don't cover the cost.

GlassEyes
January 19th, 2010, 05:45 AM
I agree with most of the ladies here. Try him on a BBB if his hair can stand it, or showing him some massage techniques might help, too.

Another idea (a little more radical I will admit) is to try varying his diet. It isn't unheard of for some food allergies to cause hair thinning. Maybe try cutting out wheat or milk, etc, for a month and see what happens?
I'm not sure about the diet, but I don't think a BBB would help--they can be rather rough, though it would help with scalp stimulation. I'd go the scalp massage route, if you're considering a BBB instead.

enfys
January 19th, 2010, 05:48 AM
I'm making note of these suggestions to help DH. He found the topical applications very irritating even though they seemed to work a little. He didn't find the discomfort worth the result.

Are there scalp massage directions anywhere? Is it possible to do it wrong?

halfbakedtulip
January 19th, 2010, 10:09 AM
My hubby is also thinning. The most I have been able to get him to try so far is Nioxin. Unfortunately he's had the same 3 small bottles for over 2 years because he just forgets to use it. His maternal grandfather had lots of hair.

Does your BF wear alot of hats? I really think thats DH's problem. Unfortunately he's in the military so I can't get him to change that :eyebrows:

ETA: he just turned 32 and he's been thinning since we met

GoddesJourney
January 19th, 2010, 10:12 AM
I would say that that shampoo is too harsh for daily washing. Also, I know a large percentage of non LCH guys don't use conditioner, but they should. Stress could be a factor.

kittensoupnrice
January 19th, 2010, 05:04 PM
I'm making note of these suggestions to help DH. He found the topical applications very irritating even though they seemed to work a little. He didn't find the discomfort worth the result.

Are there scalp massage directions anywhere? Is it possible to do it wrong?

I've tried SnowyMoon's massage technique. It's available on the archived lhc section. I personally found some of the techniques too rough for my hair.
It's my own personal belief that any scalp stimulation that doesn't damage or tangle or pull your hair out is probably good for it.

I like using a BBB for scalp massage and canopy cleaning occasionally. I just use it from crown to nape. I can't use it on my length, though, because it tends to pull my hair out.

Bellalalala
January 19th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Psst!!!

Propecia was actually originally a prostate drug that just happens to also do an amazing job at reversing male baldness.

Sure, most insurance companies don't cover it, but if you get your doctor to prescribe the generic version [Finasteride], it is the exact same thing, but much cheaper, and insurance companies will cover it.