PDA

View Full Version : Wearing Fine Hair Down

UP Lisa
January 18th, 2010, 11:40 AM
I have gotten a little tired of having the long hair I always wanted, but never being able to wear it down due to terrible tangling from rubbing on clothes. Have any of you figured out a way to do this?

vampodrama
January 18th, 2010, 11:57 AM
No.... not really. I wear it down occasionally, but I always regret it later. Especially when I happen to step outside - even the slightest wind turns my hair into velcro.

Alcenaia
January 18th, 2010, 12:00 PM
I have very fine hair too. Here are some thoughts. Hopefully some of it might be useful. :)

I try to wear my hair down with clothes that don't have a hood, an odd collar, or buttons, and keep it out of my backpack straps. I habitually move my hair out of straps and over chair backs, to the point where my hand sometimes flails around near my neck searching for my hair when it is up in a bun, hehe. Sometimes I keep my hair in my lap, if I'm somewhere where tossing my hair over the chair back is not a good idea (church pew, theater, etc).

Putting half my hair into a French ponytail leaves the look of super length, but keeps my hair from falling in front of me. If it doesn't fall in front of me, I don't feel compelled to move it around as much, which cuts down on tangles.

My hair looks alright as it air dries and keeps together more when wet. While weaker wet, my hair doesn't go off on tangling adventures as much.

Good luck!

MandyBeth
January 18th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Looking for advice also - it's my nape that tangles 2 seconds after I detangle it.

UP Lisa
January 18th, 2010, 12:12 PM
The nape is the worst for me, also.

rags
January 18th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Well, a lot of people might not want to do this, but whenever I want to wear mine down, I drench it with cones. Coney conditioner and leave in, or sometimes just the leave in. Then I make sure I'm wearing a hair friendly shirt (no wool sweaters, and no collars!) and no evil hair-eating necklaces.

I almost never wear it down anymore though, because it's not worth dealing with the cones, and without them - tangle city. I'll keep an eye on this thread; maybe someone else has a better idea!

HildeMV
January 18th, 2010, 12:18 PM
I usually have braidwaves in when I wear it down, because it hides tangling.

RocketDog
January 18th, 2010, 12:19 PM
When I wear my hair down I make sure to take a drop or two of jojoba oil and run it through the hair at my nape - if it looks slightly oily it doesn't matter since it's hidden by the rest of my hair, and it really helps with tangling. I also avoid wearing shirts with hoods or collars, and I won't wear a necklace with a big bulky clasp. Since I have a bit of fringe I don't have to deal much with hair flying in my face, but I often take the hair on the left side and pin it back at the crown so that it stays behind my shoulder and out of the way of my seatbelt (plus it looks cute when you do it with a deep side part, kind of retro).

I don't wear it down much during the winter because of the hoodies and jackets I wear, plus it gets super-frizzy and doesn't seem to want to curl as nicely. I can't wait for springtime and warmer weather so I can wear it down again, although I don't know if I'm looking forward to summertime - I haven't had hair this long in a while, and I remember it being stifling when worn down in the summer heat. Good thing I have clips and sticks and forks and a few updos I can do in seconds!

UP Lisa
January 18th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Rags,

What cone conditioner works well for you?

I also like that oil idea. Never thought of doing it.

Lisa

MandyBeth
January 18th, 2010, 12:31 PM
My hair is trying to get over it's cone addiction and I've currently got none in the house. Too tempting to use, my hair still turns into a rats nest, and then I've got to use SLS to get the cones out - so then I use cones again.......

Tho, jojoba oil and I may have to be come very close friends.

dearladydisdain
January 18th, 2010, 12:49 PM
My hair definitely does better with cones but it still likes to tangle itself when worn down after a certain length. For me, there's pretty much nothing I can do about it, so if I want non-tangly hair it's gotta be either up or short.

melikai
January 18th, 2010, 02:14 PM
My nape only tangles in wintertime or autumn, when I wear coats with higher collars and scarves. I get horrid dread-like tangles that take ages to carefully comb out. My solution is to wear my hair up while I'm outside wearing the coats etc. I don't have a problem in warmer seasons though.

My hair will also tangle more if I need to clarify.

CaityBear
January 18th, 2010, 02:16 PM
I have the same problem. I only wear it down for short amounts of time and I am constantly throwing it over the backs of chairs and moving it out of the way and finger combing it so it doesn't get too tangled.

And in winter I usually just avoid it like the plague because I'm always wearing sweaters that have hoods...

heidihug
January 18th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Unfortunately, the OP lives in a place where real winter can last for 6+ months a year. I'm south of her, but it's bad here, too. We must wear thick jackets and sweaters and fleece and such an awful lot of the time. So, changing the style of clothing we wear isn't much of an option!

In answer to your question, Lisa, you probably know my answer - no, I haven't. I'm glad that I love my long hair for the updos I can create, rather than being able to wear it down. If I wanted to wear it down, I fear I would become frustrated and cut it off.

melikai
January 18th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Unfortunately, the OP lives in a place where real winter can last for 6+ months a year. I'm south of her, but it's bad here, too. We must wear thick jackets and sweaters and fleece and such an awful lot of the time. So, changing the style of clothing we wear isn't much of an option!

There are still options of thin but warm long sleeved tops and sweaters, and layering. I don't think you were referring to my post in particular, but besides wearing hair up while outside, it should be warm enough inside to be able to wear a smooth-textured knit that won't aggravate any tangling issues. There are also some very finely woven silks that are used as underclothes for sub-zero temperatures. Maybe if you can't change the style, you could try changing the materials to be more hair-friendly?

wendyg
January 18th, 2010, 03:04 PM
In contrast to some of the others, I *like* hoods. I put my hair inside my coat and can flip the hood over my hair whenever it's cold or wet. I wear it in a ponytail quite a bit as a compromise - that's still down, but a ponytail tucks well inside a coat and stays there. Indoors, I have a couple of densely woven silk twill shirts (try www.wintersilks.com) that are nearly as warm as sweaters when paired with a turtleneck.

But sometimes in winter I want my hair down to keep my neck/ears warm.

wg

ImperfectBrat
January 18th, 2010, 03:06 PM
When I wear mine down, I usually 1) keep it well oiled from ears down 2) Keep all necklace clasps turned front since they are greedy lil buggers 3) try to keep it pulled over my shoulder.

With just those three things, I tend to stay more or less tangle free.

Liss
January 18th, 2010, 03:17 PM
I don't really seem to have much of a problem with wearing mine down, but that might be due to the difference in length. I do always need to make sure I move it off my shoulder to avoid getting caught under my handbag strap, but not much else.

I use Dove Therapy heat protection conditioner which helps avoid tangles & I avoid intentionally wearing it down on very windy days.

melikai
January 18th, 2010, 03:25 PM
In contrast to some of the others, I *like* hoods. I put my hair inside my coat and can flip the hood over my hair whenever it's cold or wet. I wear it in a ponytail quite a bit as a compromise - that's still down, but a ponytail tucks well inside a coat and stays there. Indoors, I have a couple of densely woven silk twill shirts (try www.wintersilks.com (http://www.wintersilks.com)) that are nearly as warm as sweaters when paired with a turtleneck.

But sometimes in winter I want my hair down to keep my neck/ears warm.

wg

Yes! The wintersilks stuff is exactly what I was talking about.
I love hoodies too, but I find my nape will still tangle when wearing them.

MandyBeth
January 18th, 2010, 03:26 PM
My hair, curses to it, will tangle on clothing. Does not care smooth or not, it goes "ohhh, moving against something - knot, knot, knot".

I can't get my nape area up yet, so I spend a lot of time carefully picking out knots caused by fleece, heavy coats, collars, scarfs, etc.......

Babyfine
January 18th, 2010, 03:37 PM
My hair tangles a lot when I wear it down. I have to detangle at least twice a day or more, and I do use a cone-y detangling spray like Thermasilk or Pantene from the ears when I have a knot I can't get out. (My old Thermasilk I've had a while)
Like you, I have no choice but to wear it up more often than I'd like. Which is about 75% of the time.
I have no silk/satin blouses, or maybe just one, so I have to keep it up most of the time to avoid rubbing on my clothes, most of which aren't hair-friendly.
I've been thinking about getting ahold of some ManeNtail detangling spray, I have read that it really takes out the tangles.

akilina
January 18th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Ah..that is one of my fears for when my hair is long. My hair is not super fine but definitely not thick. I guess I'll see when im there :] I'm wondering if oil would help this

Bellalalala
January 18th, 2010, 03:51 PM
I'm only APL, but I've been waist-hiplength in the past (many years ago).

I've never ever had a problem with the nape of my neck, but I do get tangles if my hair moves at all in the wind. I obsessively play with my hair while it's down, so that actually seems to keep it pretty tangle free.

I also found that my hair tangles A LOT less since I stopped using shampoo altogether.

jojo
January 18th, 2010, 04:26 PM
I am a baby fine head and CHI serum is my ally in preventing tangles and a little and I mean teeny bit of oil on the very ends helps weigh it down. I love wearing it down but my hair looks like rats tails without serum.

MandyBeth
January 18th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Yumm, CHI :) I love their keratin spray, smells yummy....