PDA

View Full Version : I may have gone too far on DD's hair :(

Ravenwaves 88
January 17th, 2010, 08:21 PM
:( I've been known to snip away at her hair, usually for her own good but sometimes I am in a experimental mood and try new things.

Well her hair is still wet so I'm not sure how it turned out yet. I hope it's not a disaster. I'll post pics when it's dry. I just parted the front part of her hair (from her ears forward) and cut it shorter so that it would look like thicker, shorter side wispy pieces. It was thin looking anyways because she takes her hair down at daycare and gets food in it and I end up yanking hair out trying to unknot it.

Anyone else have this problem?

manderly
January 17th, 2010, 08:35 PM
I think all children had some hair disaster early on, sometimes at their own hands :roll:. Good news is it grows fast and won't ruin her self image or anything (assuming she's quite young by your daycare remark).

As for the food in her hair, instead of yanking dried bits of food out (ouch!) how about soaking some conditioner onto it to soften it up and help the tangle fall apart?

GuinevereMay
January 17th, 2010, 08:36 PM
I just let my girls' hair grow and ponytail them up. If she yanks her hair down, maybe a different type of hair tie would work better?

That said, my son recently cut my oldest daughter's hair into a mullet. We just use a lot of pretty barrettes and headbands until it grows out.
I hope these pictures will make you feel better (or at least laugh.)

manderly
January 17th, 2010, 08:53 PM
:lol:

Oh, kids. :roll: Gotta love the haircuts they show up with :inlove:

ETA: She's actually got kind of a punk-rock vibe!

MotherConfessor
January 17th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Oh, Gueniveremay, all mullets aside she is a particularly lovely girl. And Ravenwaves, don't sweat it, at her age it will grow out quickly and she will likely never notice the difference. When I was a nanny I used to keep my girls hair from tangling during the day by putting it in a tight braid with ribbons woven through it. When I got to the bottom of the braid I would tie it off (used a loooong ribbon) then hook the ribbon into a giant embroydery needle and weave it back through the braid till I reached the top, then slide it underneath her canopy so the ribbon came out above the braid (does that make sense?) and tie it in a tight bow. Any ends I tucked back into her hair so she would not be tempted to play with them. Its a real pain but her hair never came undone and it could stay that way for several days without looking overly natty.

Ravenwaves 88
January 17th, 2010, 09:05 PM
http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss334/Ravenwaves88/Laurel/LaurelHair.jpg

Well thats as good of a shot as I could get. Looks mullet-esque also. I think it will look better once it's grown out a bit. She's still growing out her bangs from when she cut them. So it all looks kinda bad.

Ravenwaves 88
January 17th, 2010, 09:09 PM
I just let my girls' hair grow and ponytail them up. If she yanks her hair down, maybe a different type of hair tie would work better?

That said, my son recently cut my oldest daughter's hair into a mullet. We just use a lot of pretty barrettes and headbands until it grows out.
I hope these pictures will make you feel better (or at least laugh.)

The pics made me giggle but she is adorable! I agree with the punk rock statement. Rock on little lady!

GuinevereMay
January 17th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Oh, Gueniveremay, all mullets aside she is a particularly lovely girl. And Ravenwaves, don't sweat it, at her age it will grow out quickly and she will likely never notice the difference. When I was a nanny I used to keep my girls hair from tangling during the day by putting it in a tight braid with ribbons woven through it. When I got to the bottom of the braid I would tie it off (used a loooong ribbon) then hook the ribbon into a giant embroydery needle and weave it back through the braid till I reached the top, then slide it underneath her canopy so the ribbon came out above the braid (does that make sense?) and tie it in a tight bow. Any ends I tucked back into her hair so she would not be tempted to play with them. Its a real pain but her hair never came undone and it could stay that way for several days without looking overly natty.

I think what you're referring to is called hair taping. I use it sometimes for Sofie's hair (that's her in the pictures.)
It's actually really easy to do and people think it looks so difficult and complicated.
http://www.mfgraffix.com/hird/faoilt/hairtape.html

And thank you for the compliments on my sweet little lady. Those photos look like mugshots, don't they? I wonder what she could've gotten busted for?

piratejenny23
January 17th, 2010, 11:30 PM
I think what you're referring to is called hair taping. I use it sometimes for Sofie's hair (that's her in the pictures.)
It's actually really easy to do and people think it looks so difficult and complicated.
http://www.mfgraffix.com/hird/faoilt/hairtape.html

*thread hijack* thank you for the link to the taping instructions! i just tried it and it only took about 5 minutes for the actual taping--30 minutes for admiring and adjusting and pics :p

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4484&pictureid=60511

AND it is the most comfortable hairdo EVER, AND i think i could actually wear a scarf on my head without it slipping off!!! not that i want to cover up my pretty ribbon, but i always get frustrated at how scarves pop off of my head (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=38686)

thanks again! *end hijack*

Ravenwaves, I don't think it looks like a mullet! it sounds like you gave her a nice "face frame" :)

when i have a bad snarl in my hair, if i hold slightly below it with thumb & forefinger of one hand, then above the knot start to gently pull up individual hairs with the other hand (detangler can come in handy), i can usually isolate the knot to 2 or 3 strands. then, if i have to, i can snip out the knot and only lose a few inches on those 2 or 3 strands without pulling on my scalp at all.

and/or try wetting & washing/conditioning her hair to get the dried food out before trying to detangle, if you're not doing so already.

HTH!

GuinevereMay
January 17th, 2010, 11:38 PM
piratejenny- so glad you could use the instructions easily! It is super easy and holds very well, even in my very active four year old's hair. Plus, she loves having "princess hair." We've found that narrow ribbons work best.

Ravenwaves, her hair doesn't look bad at all!

Sheltie_Momma
January 19th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Minor hijack: Thank you everyone for this thread; I've been in a state of minor emergency over DD2's hair; in that she EATS anything you put in her hair. I have had to stop using bands, clips, bows etc because she insists on putting them in her mouth and then running around. This weekend I caved in and cut her bangs back in just because I couldn't stand it hanging over her eyes any longer. But taping will totally work for the rest of her length. Hopefully she doesn't take out the ribbon and wrap it around her neck though. I've got my hands full with her for certain!