PDA

View Full Version : Confess Your Hair Sins

Ally<3
January 17th, 2010, 08:05 PM
I'm so happy for all that I've learned about hair health, but I made my hair pay the price. Over the years I have:

Dyed my hair with box dye (many times)
Regularly used a straightener
Bleach ontop of bleach
Sloppy bleach application
Bleached out black dye
Had glue-in extensions (:doh:)

Tell me yours. :)

Copasetic
January 17th, 2010, 08:11 PM
-years of flat ironing
-year of at home boxed dyes (occasionally they were done back to back)
-pulling out my hair (nervous habit, I still do it today)

Fractalsofhair
January 17th, 2010, 08:18 PM
I tease my hair and use hairspray... A lot. And I've done it when my hair is longer...

In the past, I've used glue in extensions(once and they got PULLED out), a flat iron, a blowdrier, box dye, professional highlights, very little conditioner, harsh shampoos, brushed while wet, harsh towel drying... Oh yeah, and the teasing as well! XD

jojo
January 17th, 2010, 08:20 PM
I have highlights but only ever re-do the roots (3x a year) so never bleach over bleach and I straighten occassionally.

Thats it for me!

Stormcast
January 17th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Hmm..
Regular Straighting
Over brushing
Shampooing every day
Regular blowfrying
I've never dyed/bleached my hair, though.

Tonks
January 17th, 2010, 08:21 PM
I've flat ironed my hair for a few years, used to dye it red a lot with those boxed dyes. I was never one for blowfrying, so thank the gods I didn't have that damage on top.

And I kinda yanked through my hair a lot when I brushed it.

akilina
January 17th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Dying with box dye.
Going back and forth from black to blond over the past 4 years (not doing that anymore, though).
I used to straighten every day but not so much anymore. Sometimes I do straighten my bangs though. But maybe only a few times a week. A few weeks ago I went to the salon and had my black/brown hair evened out and lightened some so i can just grow out my natural hair and i wont have hideous roots when its coming in. Im excited to have my natural hair color.:p

Bekah
January 17th, 2010, 10:00 PM
I think the worst since I started growing it out this time is that I like a good hard brushing. I want the brush bristles to hit my scalp and scratch it and my BBB just doesn't get me there. So when I can no longer stand the comb and bbb that are actually good for my hair- I get out an old brush and pull it through. I'm pretty sure that's where all my fly away's and split ends come from but I just can't seem to let go of a good rough brushing every so often.

Previously, however... I bleached. I colored. I blow dried. I curled- as hot as I could get that curling iron to go because otherwise curls never stayed put. I used a massive amount of hairspray and if my brushing hit a tangle (as it always does) I just yanked the brush on through instead of stopping to pull apart the tangles gently.

JenniferNoel
January 17th, 2010, 10:01 PM
:Star:Years of bleaching
:Star:Years of flat ironing
:Star:Years of box dying
:Star:Overly aggressive brushing
:Star:Wearing it down on boats

But this has all changed by now.

rossjen
January 17th, 2010, 10:11 PM
-Brushing far too vigorously and probably too often.
-I've tried, but I'll never completely be able to give up some of my metal-backed barrettes for more hair friendly accessories.

Cholera
January 17th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Oh my, where do I start?

-Dying my hair black with box dyes (deposit only, but I'm sure it damages it some)
-Bleaching back from the black dye
-Bleaching that bleach (that was my mom's fault, I didn't want her to pull it through the ends but she did)
-Flat ironing that mess
-Using SLS
-Brushing it tons
-Never wearing it up

Whew! I've been so bad to my hair :(

peachrose
January 17th, 2010, 10:17 PM
-One year of weekly flat iron use.
-Two doses of wash out dye.
-Rough combing.

patience
January 17th, 2010, 10:51 PM
All of my sins? ...ever? I think it would be easier to list what I haven't done.

I haven't.. umm... I can't think of anything. :o :D

I have had 20 some-odd years of dying, perming, etc. plus the 80's metal era. :)

PorcelainHorror
January 17th, 2010, 11:08 PM
Scene hair. Large, bleached blonde, flat ironed, teased to Twisted Sister status scene hair.

Now the only sin I commit is dying my hair black with box dye.
I only do the roots though, it's not like I do the whole head every month.
Oh and I bleach the underside of my very short fringe and dye it blue. But that's okay since I keep it short.

violeteyes
January 17th, 2010, 11:11 PM
*gulp* I used a straightener just about every day for two years.
Worst mistake. Ever.

Olde Soul
January 18th, 2010, 12:03 AM
Brushing with a broken pin brush and wearing my hair down persistently.

natorade
January 18th, 2010, 12:13 AM
I am guilty of alot:
bleach over bleach
dyed my hair dark then bleached it back blonde
teasing
styling products
flat iron
curling iron
hair dryer
washing daily
harsh poo's
glue in extensions
sewn in extensions
brushing while wet
razor cuts
I am sure there is more...I just can't remember more right now

BranwenWolf
January 18th, 2010, 12:26 AM
-Box dye
-Box highlights, burned my scalp once
-using medical peroxide to do highlights, now and then.
-Used to curling iron my ends
-Always let the sun bleach my hair over summer
-Always wear it down, but this doesn't seem to hurt it

jera
January 18th, 2010, 12:32 AM
Overuse of heat appliances.
Never clarifying my scalp.
Yanking combs and brushes through my hair like it was an enemy.

I still color my hair though. :o

Ally<3
January 18th, 2010, 01:17 AM
Oh and I forgot,
brushing while wet (still find it hard to resist the urge)
and not cutting off my splits....

Mannaz
January 18th, 2010, 02:57 AM
-years of box dyeing it black
-other years of bleaching and bleaching what I just bleached
-LOTS of backcombing and hairspray

I still backcomb now and then and use a little hairspray, I can't be all good :p

I see there is a lot of that "I want it blonde, no, wait! I want it black!"- goin on. I still have to remind myself of all the reasons why I can't put ANY black on hair (many times it starts with just one or two streaks and when you give the littlefinger...). At least the bleachingbusiness gives me the creeps so I dont have to fight the urge to do that.

Dreams_in_Pink
January 18th, 2010, 07:10 AM
permanent extensions.
regular flat-ironing.

not too fierce compared to most of you :D

Fiferstone
January 18th, 2010, 07:14 AM
Box dye
brushing too often with a ball-tipped plastic brush :gasp:
going too long between trims and letting the splits build up
That's pretty much it.

Chamomile betty
January 18th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Teasing
Bleaching
Terrible brushing
Not deep conditioning
Too much shampooing
Using the wrong products

Just being mean to my hair in general.

squee
January 18th, 2010, 08:28 AM
lets see....

Black perm. dye twice
pink temp dye when I was younger
some bleach on 2 chunks of hair
temp. blue/purple dye
that colored gel (red) back when I had a pixie
gel in general from having a pixie cut
crappy shampoo/condish. for my hair
2-1 shampoo/condish (I used to use only pantene)
tearing a brush through it when I was younger
not containing it when I slept when it got long
letting it get dry and sad
washing it everyday (thankfully I always used condish. back then)
towel drying it
bad hair toys
letting the hair cutter thin my hairThat is all I can think of.
All of that I stopped quite quickly :)

cmnt831
January 18th, 2010, 08:42 AM
My two biggies: Yanking a comb through tangles and never conditioning.

And I wondered why I my hair looked so bad :(. Losing the comb and starting on conditioner have made all the difference :D.

jmallen62691
January 18th, 2010, 08:45 AM
Oh, wow. I've colored it 10 times; red and different shades of brown. I actually colored it just last week. :/ I can't promise I won't color it again. I kinda want to try some crazy colors, maybe purple. Plus, my natural color is icky. I flat ironed daily for years. I used bad washing, drying, and brushing techniques. I got a perm once. I've used all kinds of chemical products. I'm sure there's more. I'm surprised I still have as much hair as I do, a lot has fallen out.

losgan
January 18th, 2010, 08:49 AM
I used a flat-iron when my hair was short (which has been gone for over a year now).

I still blowdry ... except today. I'm addicted to blow-drying!

Daily washing! My scalp gets so oily and itchy! Bleh!

chaoticwaves
January 18th, 2010, 09:20 AM
--Bleaching, then coloring on top to try and fix color :rolleyes:--Straightening
--Blowfrying
--Razor cuts
--Perms
--Daily shampooing

SeaShell
January 18th, 2010, 10:03 AM
- straightening
-straightening with a straightener which had bits of exposed metal on the plates
- trimming too much off at home
- bleaching at home
- not eating right, making my hair fall out
- getting highlights done in the cap method with BSL hair
- letting my dad convince me to cut it short because long hair isn't "trendy"

and I'm sure there are more...luckily I have come a long way since joining this site!

UP Lisa
January 18th, 2010, 10:24 AM
The biggest thing I do wrong now is not take the time to properly untangle a knot, and instead just kind of yank it apart. I'm just so tired of my hair tangling up so easily. When I do this, I pay with broken hair.

ohiofritty
January 18th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Brushing when wet and blow drying are my worst...and the ones I did every time I washed my hair unless I was feeling truly lazy. They're also the hardest for me to give up (having just done so). When I wash my hair I tend to do so in the morning, it takes hours to dry naturally, and darn, its cold out in the snow with wet hair!

In the past the worst things I've done involved color experiements...the VERY worst would be from when I was in highschool. I wanted blonde streaks in my BSL hair so I would take about an index-finger's circumference bit of hair and just dip that in the bottle of peroxide under the bathroom sink :disgust:. I did that for at least two summers...the Horror!

TheCatSaidQuack
January 18th, 2010, 11:51 AM
dying it. often. every shade of red and brown that you can imagine.
bleached highlights...not once, but twice. granted, they were 2 years apart, but you think I would have learned my lesson.
Blow-frying on high heat when I was younger and in school. It was faster.
Yanking through knots as a kid because I never brushed it. Once, when I was 6 or 7, my mom took me the barbershop (yes, barbershop, not salon) to chop off my waist long hair because I hadn't brushed it in weeks. It was hopeless.
Thankfully, I learned my lesson after that. Still learning about the dyes, though.

Rainchants
January 18th, 2010, 11:57 AM
- Straightening
- Dyed in almost every color
- Blow-drying
- Too much silicones
- Washing every day
- Brushing when wet

Sweetness
January 18th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Past sins...

- combing / brushing roughly and pulling at the knots (wet & dry)
- no deep conditioning / moisturizing
- not taking the time to comb with gentleness
- Could go a very long time without trimming
- straitening, blow drying, flat ironing, permanent straighteners...
- bunning my hair carelessly in a huge tight uncombed knot and pulling the bad rubber band to bring it down (& full of hair with it)
- using shampoo / conditioner without reading labels at all
- nervous habit of scratching my scalp when studying/working... still do this a little, even though I try to stop :oops:
- refusing my natural hair texture
- box coloring / bleaching / etc.

This proves that hair - as small as they are - are very resilient when you think about it... I could (should ?) be bald by now :lol:

coscass
January 18th, 2010, 12:39 PM
- I boxdye all the time. All. The. Time.
-I pick at my hair (bad habit)
-I sometimes forget to put my silk cap on when I go to bed
-Sometimes, I comb my hair far too often than I should when it's dry
-I used to blowdry and flat iron my hair ALL THE TIME. I eventually got it down to a system where I would flat iron on sunday, wear it down for monday and tuesday, then put it into a ponytail for wednesday and friday.
-I would throw my hair up into a messy bun and leave it like that for DAYS.

RocketDog
January 18th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Lately the only 'bad' thing I have been doing is blow-drying my fringe and the hair at the crown of my head on the cool setting before putting it up. I need to look 'polished' since I'm interviewing for jobs, and since my fringe tends to want to go all funky-wavy if I put them up wet I like to blow them dry while coaxing them straight with my fingers. Plus, going out with a full head of damp hair when it's well below freezing is just miserable!

I've been really good about keeping the length oiled and up in a braided or twisted bun (pretty much all I can do right now, since I just trimmed my hair and the little wrapped twist doesn't quite work since my ends aren't grabby any more) so it's protected, and I take it down at night so it will dry before braiding it for bed. I've been using jojoba or coconut oil religiously and haven't needed to detangle much since the hair stays contained, and since it's up all the time I can't pick at it or play with it so no extra mechanical damage there, either.

karenpetal
January 18th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Past Sins -

Blow Frying and Blow Straightening
Highlights/Chemical Bleach
Combing when wet

Tight ponytails

Clarisse
January 18th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Highlighting
Getting weird layers cut in
Cutting with a dull scissor
Brushing my hair aggressively with rough brushes
Teasing
Using hair spray
Wearing hair in a tight bun with tons of hair spray every day for some years (I was a ballet dancer)
Pulling very hard at my hair, when getting angry
Piling my hair on top of my head with lots of shampoo
Using coney products (no big sin - still do it sometimes, when running out of my conefree shampoo)

Umm, that's about it. I still brush my hair a little too violently once in a while, and my brush has rough plastic seams :( And, though seldom, I stil occasionally backcomb my hair (max 2 times a year).

MandyBeth
January 18th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Dye, years of dye. Years of black dye, which resulted in a PPD reaction which lead to NO hair. Blech.

Yanking out tangles because my hair LIKES tangles and I don't always pick them out properly.

Shampoo daily - still do, my scalp likes it.

littlemoon
January 18th, 2010, 02:40 PM
like a few other gals on here, where do i start?!

i grew up with a complete lack of education on how to take care of hair at all, not to mention my poor, tortured curly hair. i didnt even know until i was around seven years old that other people washed their hair everyday. my mom was always good on shampooing and conditioning, and she used to let my hair dry into soft, bouncy ringlets. but after my sister was born (plus other factors) that made my moms life more hectic, my hair routine changed. once i got out of the bath she would scrub and grind my hair with a towel until it was pretty dry. after she would brush it, while wet, and then brush it again when it dried. imagine the frizz!

then, in middle school, i was dyyying for anything to make me fit in and help me leave my mess of curls behind. enter flat ironing! i had tried cheap flat irons a few times before, but when i got a $200 CHI iron, i was in love. of course, it was no magical cure to my already damaged hair.

fast forward past dying it lighter, dying it to my natural color, dying streaks of color in it, a lot of brushing while wet, a lot of sticky leave in conditioners and sulfate infested products, trimming it constantly to 'help it grow' (sob!), clip in extentions, and finally the worst, thermal reconditioning.

looking back, i cared so incredibly much about my hair almost my entire life, and never actually took care of it at all. now im so grateful that i have LHC and the curly girl method to guide me, and keep me full of knowledge to never hurt my hair again! and to pass on what i know one day to my childrens hair, so they dont make the same mistakes i did.

sorry this was so long! i had a lot on my chest i guess :D and a list just couldnt explain it enough!

Kelsey89
January 18th, 2010, 02:44 PM
-Box dyes
-Flat ironing
-Blow drying
-Bleach
-Rough brushing

Ally<3
January 18th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Oh I totally forgot back in early highschool. Wanted to go blonde... I still remember the box dye I used *shudder*, anyway it didn't lift the colour, so my mum put a different blonde box dye ontop of that. Still was orange and gross. My hair was TRASHED. Then put a brown dye on top of that, that washed out, went to the hairdressers and got it done red and chopped it all off.

If I have kids, they're not going anywhere near a box of dye.

LoversLullaby
January 18th, 2010, 04:02 PM
~Backcombing my hair
~Straightening everyday
~Harsh shampoos
~Having the stylist thin out my hair
~Razor cuts
~Brushing and combing way too harshly
~Brushing out my curls

I'm sure that there are PLENTY more, but I can't think of any!

Kirzja
January 18th, 2010, 04:07 PM
My worst hair sin is not having a clue how to take care of it for the first 22 years of my life.
I am so glad I found this website.

Keywords:
Dye, bleach, harsh shampoos, brushing, blow drying, hot curling.

mrs_b
January 18th, 2010, 04:29 PM
I think the worst hair sin that I had committed was multiple washing my hair with dishwasher detergent (!) after I dyed it myself on almost black instead of brown. The next day I went straight to a hairdresser to cut it out. I was 16 years ago. Since then I don't dye my hair.

The smaller sins were:
- blowfrying my hair
- using SLS shampoo
- razor cut

elina333
January 18th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Guilty as charged of...

- Bleaching
- Straightening
- Pulling it out (I know, WHAT was I doing?!)
- Dying my überblonde tresses dark brown, almost black, and then tried to go blonde (platinum) a couple of months after (my hairdresser refused so I went to another one who didnt have the same sense of moral :( My hair almost fell out completely)
- Backcombing occasionally
- Using volume powder or "styling dust" as its called (wrecks havoc on your hair)
- Not protecting it in the sun
- Not protecting it in the ocean
- Not sleeping on a satin pillow case
- Eating really bad
- Using metal accessories

Well, I could go on for ever but Im deciding to stop here :D

elina333
January 18th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Well, I dont do all that anymore of course! Most of it at least ;)

Kristin
January 18th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Box dyeing (which I still do)
Straightening
Curling with irons and hot rollers
blow- drying (infrequently)

windinherhair
January 18th, 2010, 08:21 PM
I have to admit that I have been pretty good to my hair. The worst thing I ever did was color it but at least I went to a hair salon. It wasn't as bad as what it could have been. I also used heating products too but not on a regular basis! The biggest thing I have done lately is not S&D for a couple months or more. :o

tralalalara
January 18th, 2010, 09:41 PM
things I no longer do:
-blow dry
-heat-straighten daily
-wash daily
-over brush overly aggressively
-pull back too tight
-pull out hairs that look too dark (I wanted to stay blonde forever!)
-shower too hot
-heat-crimper
-stiffening hairsprays

-There was a time when I wanted fried 80's hair like Blondie...

Things I still do:
-scratch my scalp hard, popping scalp pimples
-ride my bike to class without pulling my hair back
-sleep with my hair down/cotton pillow cases
-occasional teasing/backcombing, but without spray.
-peel my split ends

Qadupae
January 19th, 2010, 04:11 AM
My sins:
-Box dyes (hundreds of times)
-Bleached multiple times, even on previous bleachings
-Bleached out henna
-Cut my own hair without any thought of researching it first
-Used tons of hairsprays, taffies, putties, and gels in combination with one another
-Pulled my once long hair into too tight of ponytails
-Wash daily with harsh shampoos
-Not always washing with special shampoos after swimming
-Hair dryer when it was long

I'm sure there was more, but I hope I am redeemed with how I care for my hair now ^_^

enfys
January 19th, 2010, 05:36 AM
I regret nothing!

Except cutting it, but that wasn't overly detrimental. No health was lost.

I only barely lightened some areas with a bleach and dye in one, but that has no tangling or splits so it didn't harm it. I've straightned twice with someone elses straighteners.

I've never glued anything to my hair. Eek!

ETA: I don't think blowdrying is a sin, again it does no harm to my hair with the frequency I do it. Likewise I have no problem with metal on elastic hair bands. I wouldn't use bare rubber.