PDA

View Full Version : Horrible Hair

Ninam
January 17th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Hi
I have extremely fine, stringy, broken, brassy hair, which is now turning grey. I've tried dozens of products, shampoos, conditioners, and hair colors, all making claims to improve, but nothing helps. Is there anyone with my type of hair that has actually found products that perform, in an affordable price range? Maybe something that repairs and gives body at the same time. Or maybe there's a color that actually covers the gray without leaving my hair a flat frizzy mess. I'd like to keep it close to the same color...mousey brown...but without all the brassiness. Perhaps someone can also recommend a hair style that will help minimize the apparent problems. I have not been able to find a stylist who knows how to cut fine hair, and the regular normal hair haircuts make me look like a boy. Frankly, at this point, I don't think there's any help for me, but I am open to any suggestions, (besides shaving my head).

Elphie
January 17th, 2010, 03:15 PM
First of all, welcome! There are going to be lots of options to explore, so don't give up hope at all, ok? What are you currently using (shampoo, conditioner) and how are you styling your hair (blowdryer? flatiron? nothing at all?)

Ninam
January 17th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Thank you. I am currently using a Hemp shampoo, with Dove conditioner. I occasionally use Garnier styling gel, and I never blow dry. I've also been using Clairol hair color, which claims to leave my hair healthier after use, but it's not true. Any suggestions?

FrannyG
January 17th, 2010, 03:44 PM
My hair is very similar in type to yours, and I colour my hair as well.

Firstly, I've learned to coat my hair in coconut oil pre-colouring. This has made a huge difference in the condition of my hair after colouring.

Secondly, try your best to recolour the roots only when you touch up. Don't pull the haircolour through to the ends. Your length will pick up all the colour that it needs when you rinse.

Consider experimenting with cone-free conditioners, and/or try washing with conditioner only. I use very inexpensive conditioners, like VO5 or Suave Naturals.

Put a drop or two of jojoba oil, coconut oil, or extra virgin olive oil in the palm of your hands. Rub your hands together then lightly coat your hair with the bit of oil from the ears down.

Don't have layers.

With our hair type, I truly believe that very small trims every 3-4 months is very helpful in keeping the ends looking nice.

I'm sure that you'll get lots of other good advice. I hope that something I've written has been of help. :flower:

Pear Martini
January 17th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Wow Franny. I like the idea of applying dye to a coconut oiled head. Does it slow down the process at all?

jera
January 17th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Hi and welcome to LHC. I use Nexxus Keraphix to infuse keratin into my hair prior to coloring. :)

Have you thought of trying a Cassia Obovata treatment for your unmanagable dryness and frizzies? It helps.

FrannyG
January 17th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Wow Franny. I like the idea of applying dye to a coconut oiled head. Does it slow down the process at all?

Pear Martini, I apply the coconut oil to all of my hair, except about an inch from the scalp. No, it doesn't change or hinder the colouring process in any way.

Actually, I had to do a whole head dye some time ago, and I did it over coconut oiled hair, and the colour came out perfectly.

Ktani has a thread all about the anti-oxidant properties of coconut oil, and how it helps reduce hair colour damage. Unfortunately, I had to do a big dye job (I coloured my hair brown for almost a year, and had to dye it back to blonde) before I knew about the coconut oil. I did do some damage then and had to cut off a few inches.

Since using the coconut oil, there is a vast improvement.

To Ninam: I also suggest learning how to cut your own hair in a blunt, straight-across or u-shaped style. I do my own like this (http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim). It's really quite easy. I can do it, and I'm a complete klutz!

Oh, and welcome to LHC!!! :flowers:

ktani
January 17th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Hi and welcome to LHC!

This is the thread, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10495 Franny was talking about.

It is also in my blog in my signature below. The blog version (http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2009/11/part-1-of-3-part-series-on-innovative.html) is simplified and easier to read. Start with the first page of the thread if you read that.

Coconut oil has been reported to help increase dye uptake, not slow the process down. It is because it chelates the 2 metal salts, iron and copper, that react with peroxide (the metal salts are in the hair, absorbed through tap water and some products) creating damaging free radicals. Coconut and argan oils bind the metal salts and help minimize peroxide damage. Most of the damage from peroxide is caused by free radicals.

Bonkers57
January 17th, 2010, 08:36 PM
I'd most definitely take Franny G's advice :cheese: I just looked at her pics and all I can say is WOW! It's so shiny you'd never know she colors it. I told her it makes me feel better about having very fine hair - there may be hope for you and me, too :D

Hi
I have extremely fine, stringy, broken, brassy hair, which is now turning grey. I've tried dozens of products, shampoos, conditioners, and hair colors, all making claims to improve, but nothing helps. Is there anyone with my type of hair that has actually found products that perform, in an affordable price range? Maybe something that repairs and gives body at the same time. Or maybe there's a color that actually covers the gray without leaving my hair a flat frizzy mess. I'd like to keep it close to the same color...mousey brown...but without all the brassiness. Perhaps someone can also recommend a hair style that will help minimize the apparent problems. I have not been able to find a stylist who knows how to cut fine hair, and the regular normal hair haircuts make me look like a boy. Frankly, at this point, I don't think there's any help for me, but I am open to any suggestions, (besides shaving my head).

klcqtee
January 17th, 2010, 11:42 PM
Well, if you dye or heat style, you may want to stop. Fine hair sometimes has problems with excess processing and manipulation. FrannyG though is a wonderful example of how you can dye without killing your hair, even with a fine hair type. If you're not to fully enjoy your silvers that are growing in, you may want to look into herbal dyes, such as a mixture of henna, amla, and indigo. You could end up with a nice mousy brown that will actually condition your hair.

I'd try some deep treatments as well. Maybe just soak your hair in olive oil for a couple hours, just to moisturize it.

If you feel you'd be better off cutting it, maybe get some face framing layers to make your look more feminine?

This is nice for short hair: http://justabouthair.com/layered-hairstyles-/short-sharp-blonde-layered-hairstyle.jpg
For medium:http://www.hairpedia.com/hair-styles/Celebrity-Hairstyles-Women/Amanda-Bynes/Amanda-Bynes-019950.jpg or http://images.beautifulhairstyles.com/2005/pictures/051015alyssamilano.jpg
For long(ish): http://www.hairstylesguru.com/images/layered6.jpg

All the pictures I showed are on straight hair, that looks on the thin side, and doesn't seem like it'd require a lot of styling. If you decide you can't save the hair (or it's easier to just cut), then a haircut you like is more important than just getting rid of the damage. You're going to have to live with it after all.

Katze
January 18th, 2010, 04:45 AM
Hi, and welcome here. You've gotten some good advice so far, especially on the haircuts!

Hi

I had similar problems as you when I joined (except I am only now going grey). We have similar hair, too, except I get to add frizz to the mix. :D

No product is going to repair your hair. Sorry, but that is just advertising, and not true. :) But I have found many of the recipes here - especially the SMT - to do wonders for my fine and previously heavily damaged hair. The rest of my 'secret' was cutting off the ends as I went (which I am still doing) and PATIENCE.

You might want to consider going more natural - the Dove I use, at least, is full of silicone oils (all those things with '-one' at the end) and look for some recommendations here for inexpensive more natural products (I am not in the USA so I can't help you).

Fine hair does need extra care. I wish I had known that years ago, cause I'd have long hair now. :)

Well, if you dye or heat style, you may want to stop. Fine hair sometimes has problems with excess processing and manipulation. FrannyG though is a wonderful example of how you can dye without killing your hair, even with a fine hair type. If you're not to fully enjoy your silvers that are growing in, you may want to look into herbal dyes, such as a mixture of henna, amla, and indigo. You could end up with a nice mousy brown that will actually condition your hair.

I'd try some deep treatments as well. Maybe just soak your hair in olive oil for a couple hours, just to moisturize it.

All the pictures I showed are on straight hair, that looks on the thin side, and doesn't seem like it'd require a lot of styling. If you decide you can't save the hair (or it's easier to just cut), then a haircut you like is more important than just getting rid of the damage. You're going to have to live with it after all.

Yep, cutting out the heat is a good idea. You have straight hair already (lucky!) so you probably don't need to iron it.

Straight fine hair can be lovely long - a friend of mine has your hairtype, basically practices benign neglect, and it is waist length.

good luck and welcome here!

elina333
January 18th, 2010, 04:56 AM
If I were you I'd try a vitamin supplement... It can work wonders on your hair! You should give it about three months though, before you can expect real results. But if your hair is in really bad condition you can see improvements after only two weeks. B-vitamins (such as biotin etc), zinc and silica usually does the trick. There is an article here about vitamins for you hair. Check it out under Articles. Good luck!

Isilme
January 18th, 2010, 05:25 AM
Vitamins do work, but only if you are lacking something and care for your hair in other ways. Please do not believe any products that claims to repair you hair, it's not possible. Vitamins do only work on the new growth and can not repair old hair.

If I were you I'd try a vitamin supplement... It can work wonders on your hair! You should give it about three months though, before you can expect real results. But if your hair is in really bad condition you can see improvements after only two weeks. B-vitamins (such as biotin etc), zinc and silica usually does the trick. There is an article here about vitamins for you hair. Check it out under Articles. Good luck!

Ninam
January 18th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions. I will try the coconut oil, and olive oil, henna dye, and a blunt cut, and let you know how it turns out. Thanks so much.

gnegirl
January 18th, 2010, 12:03 PM
1) No blow dryer, hot rollers, flat irons or curling irons :)
2) Good diet does wonders, lots of veggies & fruits and quality proteins.
3) Frequent trims...for me this is every 6 weeks, any more than that and my ends look like frizzy broom-tail ends.
4) Gentle handling... don't brush it when its wet and stop combing if you feel a 'pull' in your hair, i use my fingers to gently separate the knot when this happens.
5) No metal hair toys with hinges or sharp edges. I've learned this one the hard way, with lots of breakage due to a metal barrette that was snagging on my hair at the hinge.