PDA

View Full Version : Washing my hair

crimsonangel
January 17th, 2010, 02:14 PM
I have to wash my hair every day or at least ever other day or it gets immensely oily. I remember once I went 3 days without washing, just running water through it. The fourth day it was so oily that it felt like I had moose or or I had poured oil in it and it was able to hold most style I combed it into it without any product, It was very slick and oily to the touch and looked very greasy. Now on day two of no washing it is quite oily to the touch and when it touches my face I can feel the oiliness. Also it feels much heavier and has a sort of dirty look to it.

Is it bad that I wash it so often?

crimsonangel
January 17th, 2010, 02:17 PM
I have to wash my hair every day or at least ever other day or it gets immensely oily. I remember once I went 3 days without washing, just running water through it. The fourth day it was so oily that it felt like I had moose or or I had poured oil in it and it was able to hold most style I combed it into it without any product, It was very slick and oily to the touch and looked very greasy. Now on day two of no washing it is quite oily to the touch and when it touches my face I can feel the oiliness. Also it feels much heavier and has a sort of dirty look to it.

Is it bad that I wash it so often?

by wash I mean shampoo and conditioner

2peasinapod
January 17th, 2010, 02:29 PM
I think it depends on your hair. I know when I first tried to stretch washings, I couldn't go more than a couple of days without my hair getting greasy and my scalp itching. I wasn't really able to do it until I had longer hair (short hair gets oily faster because there's less distance for the oils to travel).

Also, I've heard that harsh shampoos strip the natural oils off your hair, so you hair starts producing much more oil to compensate. Maybe try a gentler shampoo or using less shampoo at first?

I'd say it's not bad to wash your hair everyday if it feels healthy, but a lot of people wash too often.

Good Luck!:)

crimsonangel
January 17th, 2010, 03:04 PM
I think it depends on your hair. I know when I first tried to stretch washings, I couldn't go more than a couple of days without my hair getting greasy and my scalp itching. I wasn't really able to do it until I had longer hair (short hair gets oily faster because there's less distance for the oils to travel).

Also, I've heard that harsh shampoos strip the natural oils off your hair, so you hair starts producing much more oil to compensate. Maybe try a gentler shampoo or using less shampoo at first?

I'd say it's not bad to wash your hair everyday if it feels healthy, but a lot of people wash too often.

Good Luck!:)

I didn't start noticing it until I began growing my hair longer. About 8 months back I could easily go 4 days without washing it.

Sammich
January 17th, 2010, 03:13 PM
I am exactly the same as you. :) I wash 3 times a week(I don't think it's damaging at all if your hair is so greasy), Sundays Tuesdays and thursdays. I'm trying to cut down to 2 though... hopefully my head will be adjusted and not produce so much oil then! :)

Fractalsofhair
January 17th, 2010, 03:33 PM
If your hair feels greasy but doesn't look it, try going every other day, or try CO washing where you just use conditioner, on the 2nd day.

My hair looks greasy after 1 day, so I am currently washing it daily.

Vino.Vino
January 17th, 2010, 03:47 PM
I have the same problem. In addition to that, it actually gives me headaches and my head feels muddy/cloudy. Everyone I've mentioned this to thinks I'm weird :-/

I used to wash my hair every day but found that it did make my hair really dry and frizzy. I've reduced it down to every other day now and changing to a gentler shampoo & conditioner. I'm trying out products with more natural ingredients and no SLS. I've ordered a shampoo bar and can't wait to try it to see if it helps!

Razor
January 17th, 2010, 03:47 PM
My Hair used to get super greasy - I was washing pretty much every day.
Then I eventually ended up looking on the internet on ways to sort it out.
Alot websites were saying that the less you wash your hair, the longer it takes to get greasy - Due to the fact that the shower is stimulating your scalp so produces more oil.
So I ended up just taking the plunge and Having a clean day, then a greasy day. So I was washing every second day.
Eventually, my greasy day wasn't so greasy until nighttime on the non-wash day.
And then when I left school, and had no routine, I ended up going days without washing at all (Was going through my punk phase :D)
Didn't care how I looked or anything.
But then when I got a job about 4 months later, I kinda had to start washing regularly again. And because of all those extended times without being in a shower, I managed to fit in to 2 washes a week, and my hair is barley greasy after 3 days of not washing.
and that routine is what ive been using for the past 2 years :D.

2peasinapod
January 17th, 2010, 04:02 PM
OP, do you clarify?

Elphie
January 17th, 2010, 04:45 PM
I find that my hair gets greasier if I use products containing cones. Perhaps switching to a no cone routine?

crimsonangel
January 17th, 2010, 04:51 PM
OP, do you clarify?
Yes, once a month.

I find that my hair gets greasier if I use products containing cones. Perhaps switching to a no cone routine?
Does the tigi bed head control freak shampoo and conditioner contain cones?

Elphie
January 17th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Yes, once a month.

Does the tigi bed head control freak shampoo and conditioner contain cones?

From what I can tell, it doesn't.

Ingredients: Aqua (Deionized Water), Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Propylene Glycol, Cocamide Dea, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine, Acrylates/C10-C30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Parfum (Fragrance), Triethanolamine, Methylparaben PEG-150 Pentaerythirtyl Tetrastearate, PEG-6 Caprylic/Capric, Glycerides, Benzopehnone-4 Panthenol, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, CI 19140 (Yellow No. 5), CI 42090 (Blue No. 1), CI 15985 (Yellow No. 6).