PDA

View Full Version : How would I explain this cut/style to a stylist

coscass
January 17th, 2010, 01:59 PM
I want what I naturally have, which is a block of hair like this: (stupid me didn't realise the 1st pic was after plopping, so it wasn't "natural". I have curlier and straighter days. THIS is natural.)
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d97/The_Squirrel_Has_Spoken/defined1.jpg

To be transformed into this:
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d97/The_Squirrel_Has_Spoken/long.jpg

Do you think, based on my album, that my hair could naturally pull this off maybe with the addiction of some gel and such? Or would it poof? I've seen this style on wavy hair and I LOVE it, shorter on the sides, longer with long layers in the back.

Is getting this look even possible for someone like me? Is it cute enough to cut my hair for? Can you see and longterm negativities that you'd like to point out?

I plan to do this AFTER I reach hip (or waist, if I'm impatient enough).

TIA <3333

SunshineHair
January 17th, 2010, 02:12 PM
I wouldnt give you advice because I know little about this subject. I did want to say your hair is just soooo beautiful!!!

:puppy:

Pear Martini
January 17th, 2010, 02:20 PM
I want to say some soft layers, but make sure the stylist does them in a way that they are easy to find (all layers the same length?) where you could pick them out for S&D.

frizzalot
January 17th, 2010, 02:27 PM
I think you're looking for a 'u' shaped hemline?

I have layers and a deep v shaped hemline, and at first it looked nice. Then after a few weeks it just looks like it was cut by a blind axeman.
I like the shaggy look, my only problem is when I want to do my hair up, the layers stick out or worse, fall out into my face.
I have the shortest layers at shoulder and longest at waist now, and if i wanted a blunt hemline i would have to chop off several inches.

It just depends on what you like i guess.

btw, your hair colour is really lovely.

FrannyG
January 17th, 2010, 02:59 PM
You'd have to get layers, and a change of hemline, and you may or may not have to use heat styling to achieve the looser waves. Really, I guess a hair stylist would know best.

I really love your hair as it is, though. So lovely :flowers:

LaurelSpring
January 17th, 2010, 03:02 PM
It looks to me like you are going to end up fighting your natural wave (top picture) to make it look less wavier (bottom picture). This will probably take some effort to pull off. If you put layers in it you are going to have to work them all of them time to get the bottom picture look. It may frustrate you. You might need to set it on large rollers or worse use a large barrell curling iron to pull it out into bigger waves. I dont know if that will be the case. You may want to play around with it before you cut. That is just my guess from the pictures.

Ursula
January 17th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Maybe print out the two pictures, and take them with you?

Fractalsofhair
January 17th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Do you mean the layers or the lack of curl?

I'd suggest asking for a U shaped hemline with long layers in it for the latter one but curly. For the lack of a wave, that's trickier and generally damaging!

lora410
January 17th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Layers will make your hair curlier. My dd has naturally curly hair exactly like yours. The shorter the hairs are the curlier they get. You may want to look into a semi-straightener?

Brat
January 17th, 2010, 04:35 PM
I vote for a U shaped hemline as well! Layers will end up being way too much a pain in the butt on a curly head.

tralalalara
January 17th, 2010, 05:18 PM
as long as they don't get scissor happy and cut the layers really thick, then you should be fine asking for long ones.
It doesn't look like you styled your hair in the second pic, simply lifting sections pulls apart the spirals and gives it a more loose look?

My hair is layered like that, only it's straighter, and I cut it myself. All I do is turn my head upside down and brush it all in front of my face. Then i cut off about two-three inches(I only do this twice a year), then brush it all back.
I drew this diagram in microsoft paintif the words get confusing.
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o13/sanityinsmallbox/haircut.jpg

but the more you trim off in this method, the shorter your front layers will be and the closer your layers will be. The first time, your bottom layer may not even reach to be cut.

GlassEyes
January 17th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Maybe print out the two pictures, and take them with you?

Dittoed.

Going off the pictures, yeah, your hair will gain volume, but since those layers would be fairly long, and you seem like you have heavy-ish hair, I wouldn't be too worried.

Call me strange, but the curl doesn't look -that- much different in the second picture to warrant any heat styling, I think. o-o

Anje
January 17th, 2010, 07:20 PM
As others have said, the pictures might help.

However, I was going to suggest trying a self-trim using a method very similar to what tralalalara illustrated. Combing hair forward toward the face (I'd probably part it down the back) and making a ponytail at your nose or forehead, then cutting the ends off will give you some deeper layers like you seem to be looking for.

melrose1985
January 17th, 2010, 07:32 PM
I agree the pictures will help if you bring them. Also maybe to get a looser curl maybe finger combing while it's drying to help pull it out. I have hear some people with wave hair say if they comb it wet they have straighter hair then if they just left it. But i dont have curls so i dont really know, but just a thought.

LisaJaney
January 17th, 2010, 08:34 PM
I cut my hair, originally, the same way TraLaLaLara says in her pictorial there. (that is ADORABLE!) I think something like that would work for your trim as well. And the two pics would help a stylist know what you're going for. (both pics are lovely; I really like the second one with that U-shape and layering.

What drawbacks are there? Well, braiding will be funky, with shorties poking out along the braid unless you gel the crap out of them. But updos aren't bad, IF the shortest layers are always "long enough to go into a bun-base", which is what I did with MY layers. I can still bun my hair and Frenchtwist my hair, and I have LOTS of layers.

Years ago, when I went to a salon to have my hair cut something like this, they used to call it a "reverse forty-five with long layers". I guess it was because they'd comb the hair up and instead of doing a 45-degree angle cut that was angling OUT from my head, they'd pull the hair up even MORE, so their fingers (holding the hair) went beyond vertical to the OTHER 45-degree angle, if that makes ANY sense... It made the layers end up LONGER, even if the starting-point for the cut was the same.