PDA

View Full Version : Why exactly should "cones" be avoided?

Talula
January 16th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Hi,

So I'm fairly new, and have read often in different forums that people are avoiding silicones, or "cones" in their products. Can you tell me what bad things they do to hair?

Thanks!

Honey39
January 16th, 2010, 05:08 PM
They're not good or bad. It depends entirely on your hair, I think. From a personal point of view:

I condition-wash only, because I have curly hair and shampoo frizzes it out and dries it
Conditioners with cones in it tend to build up, which can only be removed by shampoo
I therefore don't use cones

However, if I shampooed, I probably wouldn't worry about cones.

Talula
January 16th, 2010, 05:13 PM
So what are the signs of having cone-build-up.....is this the white/gray gunk that collects in your hairbrush? Does it just make your hair limp?

Forever_Sophie
January 16th, 2010, 05:14 PM
My hair loves silicones! I shampoo and clarify once every few weeks (silicones can dull your hair - the buildup from them, but clarifying shampoos will get you a fresh start :) ).

jojo
January 16th, 2010, 05:38 PM
My hair likes cones, it depends on your hair. Cones are not all bad as they help protect the hair, the problem is they build up and cause hair to look dull over time but clarifying soon sorts that out.

Its a case of suck it and see!

Hay22
January 16th, 2010, 07:12 PM
I avoid them because they make my hair break more easily and make my naturally wavy hair too heavy, causing it to be limp and straight when it dries.

Nae
January 16th, 2010, 07:26 PM
I avoid them because the only thing that seems to get them off is a SLS shampoo which is damaging. So it makes sense to me to give both those things the boot, get myself outta that particular catch-22. I also feel that they hide damage, I don't want my damage hidden I want to see it right away so that I can deal with it, do a search and destroy of the split ends. I use my Chagrin Valley Shampoo bars and use an apple cider vinegar rinse. It is nice to understand all the ingredients in my hair care.

peachrose
January 16th, 2010, 07:49 PM
I don't typically use cones, only once in awhile if I am straightening. A problem with silicones (any ingredient that ends with -cone plus a few others) is that it can lock out moisture from the hair. I found that that made my hair feel harder and more brittle. Try it out! You can find a list of cone and cone-free conditioners here and see which your hair prefers.

Elphie
January 16th, 2010, 07:52 PM
My hair is softer and shinier without cones. I will use them from time to time (if I'm going to blowdry or if there's just nothing else in the house) but they're not "bad". I just prefer my hair without them.

motormuffin
January 16th, 2010, 08:02 PM
I try to split the difference. I use sls and cone free shampoo and condish regularly BUT my hair looks and acts better with cones so I use a bit of a cone leave in (CHI silk) once a week.

jojo
January 16th, 2010, 08:13 PM
gotta love the CHI silk serum, it de-tangles my hair like nothing else.

prosperina
January 16th, 2010, 08:13 PM
I switch back and forth. I use a conditionner that's heavy on the cones if I want to avoid fly away hair and if I want to wear my hair down alot. I find the cones make my hair less big and full--which sometimes is really nice. When I want wavier, fuller hair, I don't use cones. When I want medium volume I use some cones and a cone free leave in. Giovanni Golden Wheat Clarifying Shampoo (which is SLS free) cleans out silicones as far as I can tell. :flower: I'm just now starting to work this all out.

All I heard when I first joined was how most people didn't like cones in their hair--I'm glad I decided to give them another try. And really, it depends upon the cone product, some work some don't. It's not always about being cone free, but doing what works with your hair.

JenniferNoel
January 16th, 2010, 08:24 PM
My hair doesn't really love or hate cones, but they do, indeed, make my hair a little flatter, and it tends to get greasier much faster than when using cone-free products.
I typically use cone-loaded products when I go to the beach, or any other scenario where "environmental frizzing" would occur, to at least keep it somewhat under control.

Elphie
January 16th, 2010, 08:26 PM
My hair doesn't really love or hate cones, but they do, indeed, make my hair a little flatter, and it tends to get greasier much faster than when using cone-free products.
I typically use cone-loaded products when I go to the beach, or any other scenario where "environmental frizzing" would occur, to at least keep it somewhat under control.

And I find just the opposite, I'm greasy after day two using a cone product and I can go much longer without looking greasy if I'm cone free.

motormuffin
January 16th, 2010, 09:00 PM
And I find just the opposite, I'm greasy after day two using a cone product and I can go much longer without looking greasy if I'm cone free.
This may be why I do well with the cone free shampoo and condish. I just use the leave in cones on the length.

girlcat36
January 16th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Silicones build up quickly on my fine, curly hair locking out moisture and causing it to break.
I was in a vicious cycle of cone usage and breaking hair for 17 years without gaining any appreciable length. And I had no idea why.
Finally learned about cones three years ago, and my hair finally seems to be gaining length!
I have a lot less frizz too.

Typically curlies do better with a cone free routine, and the straighties seem to be able to tolerate cones better.

jaine
January 16th, 2010, 09:17 PM
I avoid them because the only thing that seems to get them off is a SLS shampoo which is damaging. So it makes sense to me to give both those things the boot, get myself outta that particular catch-22. I also feel that they hide damage, I don't want my damage hidden I want to see it right away so that I can deal with it, do a search and destroy of the split ends. I use my Chagrin Valley Shampoo bars and use an apple cider vinegar rinse. It is nice to understand all the ingredients in my hair care.

I agree with this mostly ... it's not the cones that my hair doesn't like, it's the shampoo that I need to wash out the cones. I was able to get cones out with a non-SLS shampoo (coco betaine) ... but even that is very drying for my hair.

Plus the cone layer seems to prevent my hair from absorbing oil ... the oil from my scalp would just sit on top of the silicone layer and look greasy, instead of being absorbed into my hair. Looking greasy faster led to more frequent shampooing and even dryer hair. My hair is a lot softer and smoother and shinier when I can shampoo infrequently.

Lexie
January 16th, 2010, 11:48 PM
I was teaching kids about 9 years ago when one said to me, 'Your hair is so...fluffy.' Those were my cone days. I hated my hair and honestly thought that I was just born with ugly hair. Sad thing was he was spot on. I was more fluffy than my dog. My hair was a huge frizzball and had no shine whatsoever.

Now I wash with water. condition with an ACV rinse, and use just a tiny bit of coconut oil as a leave in. My hair is very happy without cones.

RocketDog
January 17th, 2010, 12:20 AM
Silicone products make my hair super-shiny, but like many others they weigh my hair down and after that first shine boost, my hair just goes limp and lifeless. Since switching to leaving a little conditioner on my length to ease detangling and using oils to boost shine and moisturize I can get my hair almost as shiny as it was using cones but without any of the ucky flat greasies.

Cimorene
January 17th, 2010, 12:22 AM
My hair seems to prefer cone-free conditioner -- even though I have some chemical color damage on my length, my hair is softer and easier to detangle when I don't use cones. When I use cones, my hair feels crunchy even when I'm still in the shower. I think that might just be a build-up issue. Also, cones tend to make my hair get greasy-looking faster, and can weigh down my natural waves.

So, my particular hair doesn't seem to like them, but YMMV. It could really go either way, even for people with the same hair type.

Pear Martini
January 17th, 2010, 11:02 AM
My hair needs cones. Maybe when all the dye grows out it wont but for now my hair needs cones.

Copasetic
January 17th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Cones should only be avoided if your hair does not like them. If your hair is just fine on cones, there is no reason to stop using them. They aren't inherently bad.

Clarisse
January 17th, 2010, 12:10 PM
My hair feels "plastic-coated", dry, flat, becomes straighter and becomes static electric when using cones. My hair feels sort of "slippery" too. If I use a coney product on my roots, they get extremely slippery and flat. Sometimes, I want the slip on my ends, because it makes my hair look a little more neat. Then I just use a little coney conditioner on my ends. My hair does best when using SLS on my roots (they fight the teenage-grease like nothing else) and just leave the rest of my hair alone

xoxophelia
January 17th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Silicones build up quickly on my fine, curly hair locking out moisture and causing it to break.
I was in a vicious cycle of cone usage and breaking hair for 17 years without gaining any appreciable length. And I had no idea why.
Finally learned about cones three years ago, and my hair finally seems to be gaining length!
I have a lot less frizz too.

Typically curlies do better with a cone free routine, and the straighties seem to be able to tolerate cones better.

I have a section of curlier hair on the lower part behind my ear that gets to a certain length.. (about 2 inches below my collar bone) and then will just NOT grow. I have never had any idea why this was... Perhaps my cone free experiment will aid in this...