PDA

View Full Version : How often do you wash your hair?

kelly-j
January 16th, 2010, 11:05 AM
I wash my hair every fourth day (have just recently jumped out of the shower with dripping wet hair:D).
My hair looks the best the day after I washed it, one day four it starts to look a bit flat and greasy.
How about yours?

coscass
January 16th, 2010, 11:07 AM
It depends. Lately I've cut back a lot, because we're running out of conditioner and are too lazy to go out and get more.... lol. But normally, every third day, or every other day. I've noticed that since starting CO my scalp doesn't feel as though it's producing any oil--ever. I try scalp massages, and am surprised to feel my fingers glide through my roots with no problem.

xoxophelia
January 16th, 2010, 11:19 AM
I wash my hair about two times a week because I need it to look presentable for classes and for me, 5 days without washing is too much.

Lately I have been doing in a little bit more (about 3 times) to help some of the color rinse out of my hair faster.

2peasinapod
January 16th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Not very often. Every few days or so. My hair can be pretty finicky, so I go by how it feels as opposed to per day. If the middle or ends are a bit dry, I like to massage the scalp to distribute the oils.

ravenreed
January 16th, 2010, 11:24 AM
My hair has been feeling extremely dry, so I have been washing about every other day to every third day and oiling it. It is happiest when it gets wet often.

funkateer
January 16th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Every 3 days. Anything past the 3 day mark is not a good look for me.shudder:

kitsune
January 16th, 2010, 11:27 AM
about once every 3 days...I wish I can hold out for longer as the ends are kinda dry with the heater on all the time, but the roots get so limp and flat if I don't.

Sammich
January 16th, 2010, 11:28 AM
I wash mine 3 times a week, I'm going to try and cut down that though to 2 washings a week! :)

1nuitblanche
January 16th, 2010, 11:29 AM
For the last 4 months or so, it's been every other day, but every 3 days is my favourite (especially if I can shower in the mornings). It looks best between 6 and 36 hours after I've washed it.

*Rose Red*
January 16th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Most of the time I wash them every 3 days. I like them the most the day after the hair wash, on the third day I don´t like them and twist them up.

BlndeInDisguise
January 16th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Every other day, usually.

longforhim
January 16th, 2010, 12:55 PM
I wash about 2x week.

DavidN
January 16th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Generally, I shampoo every 4 days, with CO washes every second day. Since I use cones for conditioning (work best for me), one of the shampoos is a "clarifying" type to remove excess buildup.

pepperminttea
January 16th, 2010, 01:05 PM
On the fifth-seventh day, depending on what I'm doing, and when I have time.

CherrySilver
January 16th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Lately, I've been washing my hair every day to every other day (mostly CO's). This usually depends if I make it to the gym. By the time I finish a workout, swim, sauna, etc., I really need it!

Bellona
January 16th, 2010, 01:10 PM
every 3 days, but that's because it's currently pretty short. when it was longer I could go 4-5, even with a few hard workouts.

AgnesONutter
January 16th, 2010, 01:12 PM
On average I wash my hair 2 times a week. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Usually, when I'm at home for any period of time, I tend to wash as little has possible since my hair likes being a bit oily as long as I remember to massage the scalp regularly. :)

truwave
January 16th, 2010, 01:16 PM
I co once during the week and wash once a week. Sometimes I co twice and go two weeks between washings.

Pixna
January 16th, 2010, 02:18 PM
I shampoo and condition (well, it's detangler, really) once a week. I do that in part because I think it's better for my hair and in part because I'm lazy. :p

young&reckless
January 16th, 2010, 02:32 PM
I wash almost everyday (roots only) and the length about once a week, switching between poo bars, and regular all natural poo.

I skip a day now and then but my workout schedule (5 to 7 days a week) makes my hair so sweety and dirty I can't stand it.

Forever_Sophie
January 16th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Sundays and Wednesdays :)

Tonks
January 16th, 2010, 02:38 PM
I shampoo and condition every three days or so, because at that point my hair tends to get on the nasty, greasy side and I need to clean it.

Peter
January 16th, 2010, 02:42 PM
CO wash weekly. Once in a while my roots will start to feel weighed down, so I shampoo then CO.

Rainchants
January 16th, 2010, 03:12 PM
I wash my hair every third or fourth day.

RoseRedDead
January 16th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Generally 2-3x a week. I'd love to stretch my washes longer, but I exercise 5 days a week, and my scalp doesn't do well with sweat sitting on it...

frizzalot
January 16th, 2010, 03:41 PM
I CO wash twice a week.

Pre LHC I was shampooing only once a week. I could get away with that because my hair is super dry. It only gets slightly greasy when its that time of the month.

SchnauzerMom
January 16th, 2010, 03:49 PM
I CWC my hair every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. That schedule is working really well for me so far.

bumblebums
January 16th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Currently, once every six days, sometimes with a water rinse on day 4.

Copasetic
January 16th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Lately I have been washing two or three times a week. The first day I can wear it down, but every day after that I have to wear it in a bun or braid.

squee
January 16th, 2010, 03:56 PM
2-3 times a week.

Day of washing: kinda dryish and soft/frizzy
Day after: amazing!
day 3: great, but starting to get greasy
day 4+: greasy

I only get my hair wet the day I wash it.

mrs_b
January 16th, 2010, 03:57 PM
I used to I wash my hair 3 times a week: on Saturday with diluted shampoo (Giovanni) and during a week CO.
I decided to wear my hair up most of the time so I am thinking about changing my routine and wash my hair twice a week. We'll see how it's going to work.

adiapalic
January 16th, 2010, 03:58 PM
I wash my hair every fourth day (have just recently jumped out of the shower with dripping wet hair:D).
My hair looks the best the day after I washed it, one day four it starts to look a bit flat and greasy.
How about yours?

My experience is practically identical to yours!

About the same on washing-- every 3-4 days for me.

slz
January 16th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Once a week, sometimes one in two weeks. The less the better.

Liss
January 16th, 2010, 04:11 PM
I wash mine every day without fail. I wish I could go at least one day without washing it, but I feel so uncomfortable without freshly washed hair. Sometimes I try, but I end up going slightly crazy my the afternoon and wash it - then again the next morning. Maybe it's all in my head, but I can't stand the way it's so limp and greasy every morning. Even when I try to wear it up without washing I still feel horrid. I've tried so many techniques to avoid washing everyday, but come to the conclusion that I'm just one of those people who will probably always do it. I don't think it's too bad though, as a small drop of shampoo is always enough to clean my hair.

deko
January 16th, 2010, 04:27 PM
I wash 2-3 times a week with shampoo (cwc), co in between if needed. I really try to wash less, but I'm growing out my bangs and it still feels greasy really fast.

chargersfan
January 16th, 2010, 06:17 PM
I wash every other day. I have tried to go longer, but by the end of the second day the grease is killing me and I have to wash. When I go back to work, if I have to wash at night (b/c of waking up too early in the morning to commute), I will probably wash every night, just because I don't want to go to work w/ greasy hair, which sucks. I hate washing my hair every night but I hate greasy hair more!

Fiferstone
January 16th, 2010, 06:30 PM
I was washing every 4 days or so, but now that I've found I can successfully do a scalp wash the new routine is one full wash a week, followed by an ACV rinse, and then a scalp wash about 3 days after that (again with ACV rinse). I'm oiling the night before a full wash with coconut oil, and putting the conditioner on my dry hair in the morning before I take a shower. My shampoo is a LUSH product (Trichomania) that does have SCS (basically the same thing as SLS but derived from coconut), and I'm finding that my length is a lot less dried out, while I don't have to endure "greasies" on my scalp any more for fear of overdrying my length. And no heat styling. Ever.

Kamustermann
January 16th, 2010, 06:34 PM
I do CWC all 3-4 days a week, sometime its possible for me to
wait 7 days.

Beets
January 16th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Also do roughly every four days, but it depends on the circumstances. Sometimes up to a week, sometimes every other day. Never two days back to back unless there was an incident with something sticky.

Pear Martini
January 16th, 2010, 06:41 PM
I shampoo about three times a week. Sometimes 4 but thats very rare.

Pierre
January 16th, 2010, 06:45 PM
I usually wash on Friday nights if I didn't on Thursday, but if the weather stays below freezing I don't wash at all, and on hot summer days I wash every two days or so. Washing takes me a long time, since it's really a detangling session in the shower, but on hot days I may just get my hair wet without taking down my updo.

nowxisxforever
January 16th, 2010, 06:46 PM
When necessary - generally 3-4 days. :)

Hay22
January 16th, 2010, 07:06 PM
I wash my hair about 4 times a week. It's been mostly CO, but when the humidity and crazy heat return, I'll probably go back to doing CWC 5+ days a week because I can't stand the feeling of greasy, oily hair sticking to my head, especially when I already feel like I'm melting.

Speckla
January 16th, 2010, 07:12 PM
As needed. No schedule.

aphilosopher
January 16th, 2010, 07:12 PM
I wash twice a week (shampoo bar followed by vinegar rinse). On wash day my hair is a bit poofy and voluminous, the next two days it's lovely, soft and shiny, by day four it's a bit greasy and limp at the roots but perfect for nicely defined dutch and french braids, an effect that I amplify (when I remember) by oiling the length before braiding. After that, a wash is necessary. I need to teach and/or attend classes often enough throughout the week that I'm reluctant to try stretching washes much more than that.

heynormy
January 16th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Once a week. It still looks a little funky after day 4 or 5, but I'm hoping after giving my scalp enough time to adjust to my new routine things will work out.

Elspeth30
January 16th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Once a week. It took a while to adjust to that frequency but now my hair and scalp feel much too dry if I wash more frequently. I can go a day or two longer than that, but not more.

Razor
January 16th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Twice a week for me,
Do it on the Sunday night so I have fresh hair for the start of the week, then On Wednesday night cause thats when it gets kinda greasy.
So sunday my scalp is greasy as hell, Good thing sunday is a lazy-don't go out day :D

curlylocks85
January 16th, 2010, 07:45 PM
I wash my hair once a week. If I wash anymore than that during the winter, my scalp and hair dry out.

In the summer, I can rinse with water more often due to the heat, mow the lawn and other activities, but I still do my treatments once a week.

Pear Martini
January 16th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Twice a week for me,
Do it on the Sunday night so I have fresh hair for the start of the week, then On Wednesday night cause thats when it gets kinda greasy.
So sunday my scalp is greasy as hell, Good thing sunday is a lazy-don't go out day :D

I like the idea of having specific days as wash days. I wish I could choose but with my random workout schedule its hard to do :brickwall

masterofmidgets
January 16th, 2010, 11:57 PM
On wash on Monday and Friday - I wash my hair in the morning, so I pick a day I have later classes so I don't have to get up earlier than necessary. Last quarter it was Tuesday and Friday or Saturday. I slip in an extra co-wash sometimes if I'm going out, or if I've gone swimming or something, but I try not to wash more than three times a week.

Lexie
January 17th, 2010, 12:04 AM
If I sweat at all, I'm washing it a.s.a.p. But as long as I don't, probably once every 2-3 weeks.

tralalalara
January 17th, 2010, 12:16 AM
I think it's interesting reading wash habits and then reading where folks are from!
I've been told that people in Europe don't wash as often as Americans, but that's clearly not the case for some.

I've been trying to cut down to every 2-3 days, mostly because my schedule is so busy I don't have time to let my hair dry before going out in the cold.
If I had a BBB, i could probably go for longer, but I can't stand the oil caked so close to my scalp.

RocketDog
January 17th, 2010, 12:34 AM
I've been washing every 2-3 days later, much longer than that and my scalp gets itchy enough to bug me and my fringe looks awful - all clumpy and limp. Since I've been wearing my hair up with the fringe loose to frame my face I want it to look nice, which means washing more frequently. It keeps my scalp happy and my hair looking presentable, which keeps me happy - and any 'easy' way to keep my morale up is a good thing!

hydrangea
January 17th, 2010, 12:46 AM
I wash my hair every 2-3 days. I work 2 nights in a row then have 3 off, so I wash the day of my first shift so my hair will look good. I can't get away with less frequently because I don't want to look greasy at work.

Talula
January 17th, 2010, 01:26 AM
I wash 2-3 times a week with shampoo (cwc), co in between if needed. I really try to wash less, but I'm growing out my bangs and it still feels greasy really fast.

I keep seeing "cwc"... what does that mean?

tralalalara
January 17th, 2010, 01:38 AM
I keep seeing "cwc"... what does that mean?
It means Condition-Wash-Condition.
There's a whole list of LHC abbreviations in a thread somewhere. I think there's a link to it in the "Very Important" Threads" thread.

elina333
January 17th, 2010, 01:50 AM
It depends on what Im doing. If I have a busy week with lots of meetings, I have to wash it every other day so that it looks presentable. If I have a long weekend I try to wait for five days or so. The longer I can go, the better. Unfortunately I cant run around among other people after the fifth day :D

meichigo
January 17th, 2010, 02:36 AM
I'm (apparently) an anomaly here, but (probably?) normal for, uh, not-here. I wash almost every day.

AstrayStar
January 17th, 2010, 07:11 AM
I used to wash every 2-3 sometimes 4 days when I was no poo, I was trying to get my hair trained to be washed less. Am currently trying WO/herbwash so am completely inconsistent depending on how my hair feels. 'washing' about twice a week, but more because I can't wait to try an herb rinse I haven't tried before, etc.

Othala
January 17th, 2010, 07:16 AM
I CWC every 7 days with co washes twice in between and the occasional Rhassoul wash/pack for a deep, deep clean of my scalp and clarification of product build-up on my hair.

Carina
January 17th, 2010, 08:14 AM
As needed. No schedule.

I do the same thing as you Speckla.Nice to see that I am not the only one without a routine.:thumbsup::waving:.

AnitaThorn
January 17th, 2010, 09:14 AM
I wash mine every 5 days. Sometimes I go longer if I'm not going anywhere the next day, but usually it's every 5 days. :)

EdG
January 17th, 2010, 09:16 AM
I wash once to twice a week. :)
Ed

Heavenly Locks
January 17th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Depends on what I've been doing (more washing if I'm super active) or anything I've got coming up (more likely to wash if I need my hair looking fresh).

If I'm just hanging out around the house or whatever, sometimes I was as little as once a week. I don't think I wash more than every 3rd day unless I must.

Oh and I am CO with the occasional clarifying wash.

rags
January 17th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Every 2 to 3 days depending on how much I've been working out and the weather. Now that it's so cold, I can easily go 3 days if I haven't worked out much. In the summer working out definitly every other day. So, all that to say - as needed! :D

Das Siechtum
January 17th, 2010, 10:32 AM
once a week. In winter once every 2 weeks.

Kirzja
January 17th, 2010, 10:46 AM
I used to wash every other day, because my hair becomes greasy on the second day.
Now I am trying to cut down on the washing, so I wash every 3 days.
I am not liking it so far.

This year, I am going to experiment with alternatives for shampoo such as CO and baking soda + apple cider vinegar for a while and see what works best for me.
Hopefully, a different hair routine will calm my scalp so I won't need to wash as often.

Vijikanth
January 17th, 2010, 10:56 AM
I wash my hair daily. I have been growing my hair for past 1.4 years and still going with the same routine. I dont even remember since when I started this routine. I apply coconut oil after the wash

embee
January 17th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Once every couple/three weeks, more often in summer when I'm out working in my garden and getting sweaty.

honeybrown1976
January 17th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Once a week

sally_neuf
January 17th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Something like twice a week, and the middle day is a WO wash, the poo day is a CWC. :)

Narya
January 17th, 2010, 04:18 PM
I wash it every 3 days (cwc), because by the third day the roots look awful, and it looks terrible (combine dry ends, with greasy roots, and it's not a sight to see...)

Probably I should change my routine... pity that while on exams I have nearly no time to care for my hair, so I'll have to wait at least one week more to try some new things.

Queen Olympias
January 20th, 2010, 08:36 PM
I am really trying to stretch out my washes but am experiencing difficulties. My goal is to wash twice a week (wash meaning CWC) and CO once or twice between washings if necessary (at some point I would like to be as natural as possible and use shampoo bars and herbs/rinses but that stage is quite a distance away right now). The problem is that I exercise heavily several days a week and it is throwing off my no-washing-streaks. I have not been able to get CO washing to "last" (keep my hair clean, or at least not greasy) for more than one day. Plus, my hair is fine so it feels greasy if it is not purely clean and dry (I used to use shampoo and conditioner every single day and I think my hair has "memorized" this state as its only definition of cleanliness). It is going to take some time to fine tune a routine that works for me, clearly!

If anyone has advice about stretching out washes and working out a lot, that would be super :)

karli
January 21st, 2010, 01:40 AM
I co-wash my hair twice a week. I could probably go a bit longer between washes, but as I have washed my hair every third day for the last 20 years it is a habit that is hard to break. On day four I have to tell myself that it really looks ok, especially in an updo.

starlights
January 23rd, 2010, 08:59 PM
i wash my hair after every 3 days... it used to be every2... but ive extended that!

Fluke
January 23rd, 2010, 10:15 PM
I wash (CO) every day I want to look presentable.

With my work schedule I have at most two days off in a row and if I'm not doing anything special I don't bother to wash those days.

I get "greasy" (I really dislike that word, heheh) after one day without washing, but I really don't mind if I'm not doing anything. Yeah, I'm a slob.... :D

I probably wouldn't bother for longer if I could.

Ven
January 23rd, 2010, 11:41 PM
Twice a week.

Lemur_Catta
January 24th, 2010, 01:06 AM
3x week, when I exercise, on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Sometimes if I haven't sweated much, I wash on Saturday morning instead of Friday evening, or I don't wash at all on Wednesday.

Qadupae
January 24th, 2010, 04:41 AM
Shame on me :( Every day for right now, but only because my hair is still very oily and I am still seeing if I can get it to adjust. I think it might stay that way especially since my job is rather picky about personal appearances :mad:

Katrina
January 24th, 2010, 05:35 AM
I CWC every 5-7 days (or when needed). If I want to look presentable, it's usually every 5 days. If I'm not going anywhere, I can go 1-2 days longer. My scalp is dry so greasiness is not a problem.

Chamomile betty
January 24th, 2010, 06:28 AM
I'll do a conditioner wash every 3rd or 4th day.

I've done a shampoo twice over the last month and did not like the results. I've been very happy with the conditioner washes.

Dreams_in_Pink
January 24th, 2010, 06:51 AM
I wash once a week. Now that hair washes are no longer too harsh (started CO) i'll try to wash more frequently. twice a week, at most.

Zaane
January 24th, 2010, 09:33 AM
CWC every 3-4 days here......used to regular wash every day way back when....thank god i kicked that habit :)

klcqtee
January 24th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Eh. I've kind of lost track. I usually just pat my head and go, "Hm, time to change the oil", and wash it. Since going cone and sulfate free, my hair simply isn't getting as greasy anymore. Before, I'd have to wash it every other day, now, I can go about every four days or so.

Jessikinz
January 24th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Once or twice a week. I usually shampoo and condition, but sometimes I'll switch to CO for a couple washes.

Lamb
January 24th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Every day. :)

cmnt831
January 24th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Every three to four days, usually, but I also take the condition of my hair into account. Sometimes it just needs to be washed sooner.

jmallen62691
January 24th, 2010, 05:39 PM
I'm trying to start CWC washing on Sunday and CO washing on Wednesday, but my hair is still adjusting, so I have to modify it a bit when it just gets too oily.

Juli414
January 24th, 2010, 06:09 PM
I use poo, or even CO, at least every other day, and an informal WO on days I don't poo or CO. That is, I don't bother with shower caps, so, my hair will get wet when I'm in the shower. Sometimes, I regret not using product on my "weekends" that have no plans for leaving the house. Come Monday, my Sunday, it can get grim, and even with WO, it never dries until I wash it Tuesday.

Yozhik
January 24th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Shampoo bars twice a week. I've been experiencing some flaking on my scalp, though -- maybe I need to add an ACV rinse?

JamieLeigh
January 25th, 2010, 09:23 AM
I usually do Tuesday and Friday nights. So twice a week I guess. Sometimes three times a week during sweaty summer months, and sometimes once a week in the winter. I'm CO, cone free by the way.

chaoticwaves
January 25th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Normally every 3 days I will do a CWC or CO depending on how my scalp feels.

Madonna-Fan
January 25th, 2010, 09:55 AM
I wash once a week after I did NW/SO for 2 weeks.
My last wash was with a mix of 2 eggs, honey and lemon juice, after that a conditioner and a cold rinse.