PDA

View Full Version : 2 Week No Cone Challenge

xoxophelia
January 16th, 2010, 10:36 AM
I see a debate around LHC about the benefits of removing silicone from your hair products and many different routines for individual hair types.

I may have done this accidently before, but probably not. So, for the next two weeks I am going to try to remove silicone from my hair and see how it effects my shine, texture, and tangles. I'm going to try a more oil based diet for moisture (and a cone free, scent free conditioner).

If anybody would like to join I would love hearing about your results as well or anybody who does this already how it changed your hair (any additional tips?) :D

enfys
January 16th, 2010, 11:12 AM
You'll need to clarify beforehand to clean out any remaining silicone. Either use a natural method (is it bi-carb?) or an SLS shampoo.

I'm happy with my 'cones and I'm keeping them.

Heidi_234
January 16th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Some advice to clarify with baking soda, but I personally think that simple SLS shampoo would be more gentle, as baking soda can be very abrasive, and its pH is very high.

2peasinapod
January 16th, 2010, 11:35 AM
I don't use any cones, but it was a big transition for me. I second the suggestion to clarify (I was a heavy cone user, but a simple ACV rinse did the trick for me).

Be prepared for your hair to feel very different. Because you don't have any cones to make your hair feel sleek and slippery, it may feel a bit dry at first (I know mine did). My hair also went from pretty straight to waves (there was a thread a while back, and I think most people said going cone free made their hair wavier/curlier). I got my hair to feel nice again by using more conditioner. I also used coconut oil in the beginning, and it worked wonders.

I don't know how you wash your hair now, but I only shampoo the scalp and condition from the ears down (concentrating on the ends). Also, on days when your hair is only a little greasy, CWC really helps get it clean but not dry it out.

Don't give up if it doesn't seem to work at first, just give your hair time to adjust.

Good luck! :)

xoxophelia
January 16th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Ehh... sorry but some of these terms I am not familiar with ^_^'...

What is: SLS, ACV, and CWC?

haha...

Right now I wash my hair about twice a week and pretty much only on the scalp. I also switch on and off between a conditioner that has silicone and one that doesn't (the one that doesn't is too heavy but I got a lighter one).

I was hoping this would bring out my wave because lately for whatever reason it has been getting less wavy. I think from silicone actually.

I figure it is only two weeks at first so.. no harm done right?

jaine
January 16th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Good luck on your challenge!!! I have been cone-free and sulfate-free for 2 years and my hair loves it so much! If your hair feels dry after the cones are removed, maybe Aubrey Organics White Camellia conditioner would be a good one to try ... I love that one. It's very oily so I just use a very small amount - it leaves some camellia oil in my hair after I rinse it.

jaine
January 16th, 2010, 11:44 AM
SLS - sodium lauryl sulfate
ACV - apple cider vinegar
CWC - condition wash condition, putting conditioner on your length to protect it while you shampoo your scalp

teela1978
January 16th, 2010, 11:45 AM
My hair is somewhat wavier without cones, but easier to detangle with. Really not a big difference at all. I try no cones once in a while just for kicks, but I like being able to play with the wide variety of coney conditioners at the drug store :)

2peasinapod
January 16th, 2010, 11:55 AM
What is: SLS, ACV, and CWC?

SLS stands for sodium laurel sulfate. It's found in most soaps and shampoos (it's the stuff that makes them lather). It cleans very well, but it's also very drying, so some people avoid it (or just use it occasionally for clarifying or deep cleaning)

ACV rinse is apple cider vinegar rinse. You only need to use a little bit (I mix 2-3 tbsp with a cup of water, bit sometimes even that's a bit too much). Shampoo your hair, and use it as a final rinse. No need to condition after, and it makes your hair feel like you washed it in rain water :) Only do it once every couple of weeks, though, as it is fairly drying.

CWC is condition-wash-condition. I put a thin layer of conditioner all over the length of my hair, rinse it out, then shampoo and condition as normal. It's a very gentle cleansing that leaves my hair clean yet still smooth.

I was hoping this would bring out my wave because lately for whatever reason it has been getting less wavy. I think from silicone actually.

I figure it is only two weeks at first so.. no harm done right?

Yes, silicone does tend to make your hair very sleek at the cost of texture (it sounds stupid, but I didn't even know I had waves until I went cone free!). I used to put so much product in my hair trying to get texture, when all I needed to do was switch shampoo and conditioner!

It never hurts to experiment! I read lots of articles and other users' hair care routines before I found a mix that worked for me.

Good Luck! :)

Copasetic
January 16th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Good luck going cone free! It doesn't work for everyone, but its worth a shot if your current hair routine isn't working for you.

Harriet
January 16th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Can anyone suggest a cone free shampoo and conditioner that is readily available in the UK? I've been reading ingredients on loads but had no luck so far. I'm hoping to rediscover the curls I had as a child.

melikai
January 16th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Can anyone suggest a cone free shampoo and conditioner that is readily available in the UK? I've been reading ingredients on loads but had no luck so far. I'm hoping to rediscover the curls I had as a child.

Here's a link to a helpful thread that gives a list of cone free conditioners in the UK: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=12619&highlight=united+kingdom

Ravenwaves 88
January 16th, 2010, 12:47 PM
I've been doing weekly Baking soda and ACV rinses for almost a month now. My hair feels great.

Harriet
January 16th, 2010, 01:52 PM
I've just managed to buy some cone free stuff from the aussie range, not sls free but thats the next thing i'll do if I get on well with no cones.

RavennaNight
January 16th, 2010, 02:51 PM
My advice is to KEEP IT SIMPLE. Keep what you're doing simple. SLS the cones out of your head with a cheapy clarifying shampoo like a VO5 or Suave. Then pick your regular shampoo if you are going use shampoo. Don't use the clarifying one all the time, it will dry your hair out. Pick a conditioner for your hair type, I like the VO5s and the Natures Gate Hemp. (different products for different folks. They work for me, they may not for you) Stick to a routine. If you are oiling, pick an oil, don't use a bunch of stuff and try a bunch of stuff as it will skew your results. Don't add anything else. Stuff like aloe gel or a leave in or catnip or honey may be tempting, but stick to the plan, don't add a thing besides your oil. You may end up washing your hair too much to get the stuff out that you thought would work but failed!

An Apple Cider Vinegar rinse is also great after conditioning, and I personally find it helps with tangling. I just take a few healthy gulps out of a bottle of Poland Spring and add the ACV to fill. Some folks like to be more measured, but it works for me. See how that goes for two weeks. Once you start deviating your routine you may skew results and throw in the towel before you have given cone-free the proper chance.

After two weeks, adjust if necessary. Do you need moisture? Is it frizzy? Maybe you need to try SLS free shampoo. Maybe no shampoo at all! I need shampoo. Is your oil good? Is it locking in moisture or just disappear into your hair like there was nothing added? Was your hair damaged? Is it splitting more since you are cone-free? This is stuff you ask yourself after the two weeks.

I say this "Keep It Simple" adamantly because I an convinced this is a reason why cone-free didn't work for me at first. I added essential oils. And honey. And aloe gel. And I kept clarifying because of the honey failing. I never got a chance to just feel my hair, threw my hands up in frustration, and gave up and got all coney again I am on my second go at cone-free and it is much much happier than the first time. So much so that I have decided to keep my routine, as it works and is much cheaper than cones.

I will never say that cones are a horrendous aweful thing. They were fine in my hair but te SLS needed to wash them out and the really often washing faded my hair color and I was unhappy.

So just keep it simple, m'kay?

redneckprincess
January 16th, 2010, 06:31 PM
doing this for a month was the best thing I ever did for my hair (besides SMT, lol) I wound up going back to cone, well kinda I call it part cone-ing because I still use a cone co on my ends and a non-cone on my new/undamaged/roots because they dont need it and my ends do...badly..good luck to you, I hope you find your combination of cone, light cone, no cone, full cone, half cone :)

Dars
January 16th, 2010, 06:54 PM
I'm finally 100% cone free! I had started the cone free transition about 7 months ago. One of the first things that I noticed personally is damage. Cone's hide it very well. Don't be put of by this. I S&D'ed regularly and let my hair adjust to a no cone conditioner.

Soon enough my hair responded positively. Now my curls are more defined than ever, softer, shiner, less frizz, and cheaper! Going cone free was not the only change in my hair diet. I also dropped towels, heat and picked up CO.

Hay22
January 16th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Good luck! I've been cone-free (and 80% SLS free) for about a year now. It definitely takes some getting used to, and I agree with others who said you'll need to clarify first or else your hair will feel crazy - mine felt like a cotton ball for a while and kind of looked like one, too. My hair is much wavier without cones. I liked the sleek, smooth feeling they gave me, but my hair always looked like it was plastered to the sides of my head. Now it's much more lively.

Make sure to look at the ingredients of your shampoo as well, as many contain dimethicone.

xoxophelia
January 16th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Wow a lot of responses! :)

I think now that I am using a lighter conditioner, I may have an easier time washing less often then I do currently (2x per week). I will check the shampoo for sure.. I forgot to do that today but I still have to clarify.. I have ACV so I will try that for sure. I did baking soda once before and it made my hair pretty tacky for awhile.

And, because this first trial is only two weeks I will keep it simple for sure. As far as oil goes, I am thinking I will do the olive/canola leave in I did before over night once per week and a little oil after showering each wash.

To make up for this period of awkward hair I am going to just wear braid waves to start as my classes start soon and I am on a no heat hair diet.

We have some more natural scent free shampoos so I will also check if one doesn't have sodium laurel sulfate.

I am a little self conscious about my ends being thinner than the rest so hopefully this doesn't make that look worse. I was very ill for a year about 2 years ago and lost a whole lot of hair Oo.....

Harriet
January 17th, 2010, 04:49 AM
I started the challenge today, and so far, very good! I've got waves again (they've been gone since I was a young child). Hooray!

elina333
January 17th, 2010, 05:04 AM
I tried it once and my hair was amazing! Although I do love my cones so I've gone back again... Now Im considering giving it a second shot! :)

xoxophelia
January 17th, 2010, 09:43 AM
I started the challenge today, and so far, very good! I've got waves again (they've been gone since I was a young child). Hooray!

Yeah it is strange.. sometimes my hair will turn out with beautiful waves, I try to recreate it and it just doesn't happen. I'm hoping to get a more even texture.. (not just wavy on the bottom)...

good luck :)

xoxophelia
January 19th, 2010, 12:19 AM
Well I just did my first ACV rinse and currently have olive/canola oil in my hair for the night. Something was weird with my well water though so we'll see (it had this strange tacky almost waxy feeling....)

lovelylaura
January 24th, 2010, 09:58 AM
I am up for the challenge! What are you guys clarifying with? I heard one suggestion for Suave/VO5 clarifying shampoo. I am asking my friend if she can get me a sample or if she has some (she uses a lot of product and is a hairdresser), so I can't start probably until next week. But i'll get prepped and maybe I'll buy some Suave if you guys think that would be effective. What else are you guys clarifying with- ACV rinse? Never done it before but I know we have ACV.

I saw Aubrey Organics White Camela as a suggestion for a conditioner. I'm not really into buying a lot of new products right now but what would be some cost effective no-cone options or at home options (an ACV rinse when I wash?) Are you guys going without SLS too? I'd need some recommendations for that too... I think there must be a list on here somewhere, but if anyone could make a recommendation?

Actually, would my "experiment" results work, I may only wash my hair 4-5 times in the 2 weeks... not many data points :P!!

xoxophelia
January 24th, 2010, 11:07 AM
^Awsome :)....

Somebody already in this thread gave me pretty good advice for the first two weeks. They said to just keep it simple. After trying out a few new things, move onto another sort of thing. So I wouldn't worry too much about SLS free for the first two weeks.

I did an ACV rinse. I didn't really want to put more basic stuff in my hair like baking soda. My plan is to pretty much do a honey/EVOO treatment once a week and then a few days I have put a tiny bit of jojoba oil in my hair.

I'm shampooing and conditioning with two biolage products .. but don't go buy them just yet because they are pricey. I got a sale on them. For a lighter conditioner I am using NonScents.

I have no idea what is best though ^_^'

This might help (but double check first):

http://ladylonghair.googlepages.com/'cone-freeconditioners

Sammich
January 24th, 2010, 11:09 AM
I'm going cone free! I'm on my second week already. Woopsie... a week late on this thread. ;)
I don't know if I like the results... because it does seem a bit more prone to tangle... or perhaps that's buildup from some leave in I got with amedithicone...(However you spell it) or too much almond oil...?
I like how my hair seems a bit wavier though! :) Not as much as I'd hoped but still a bit wavier. :D
One more week to go!

Pear Martini
January 24th, 2010, 11:54 AM
http://www.overstockdrugstore.com/product_images/x/022400341071.jpg

This stuff will be your bestfriend if you let it. Get this EXACT same one. Same brand, same kiwi lime, its clarifying!

It was the only conditioner that actually cleaned my greasy scalp and made my hair look clean. HIGHLY reccomended.

lovelylaura
January 24th, 2010, 12:14 PM
HAHHAHA!!! Pear Martini I LOOOOOVEEE your pic!

lovelylaura
January 24th, 2010, 12:20 PM
^Awsome :)....

Somebody already in this thread gave me pretty good advice for the first two weeks. They said to just keep it simple. After trying out a few new things, move onto another sort of thing. So I wouldn't worry too much about SLS free for the first two weeks.

I did an ACV rinse. I didn't really want to put more basic stuff in my hair like baking soda. My plan is to pretty much do a honey/EVOO treatment once a week and then a few days I have put a tiny bit of jojoba oil in my hair.

I'm shampooing and conditioning with two biolage products .. but don't go buy them just yet because they are pricey. I got a sale on them. For a lighter conditioner I am using NonScents.

I have no idea what is best though ^_^'

This might help (but double check first):

http://ladylonghair.googlepages.com/'cone-freeconditioners

Really helpful link! Thank you SOOO much!

YesitsReal
January 24th, 2010, 07:39 PM
I'm actually doing an experiment right now to determine whether or not my hair likes 'cones. I'm almost finished with my cone-free month, and so far I think I may keep my coneless regimen.

My hair is a little more tangly without the cones, but that makes sense, because cones provide a lot of slip. However, I felt like the cones were masking some of the damage on my ends (which is really what they're supposed to do), and I didn't like that, so I think I might be a permanent no-cone convert. I'll just have to add a lot of moisture to my hair without the cones sealing it in. But we'll see how my experiment turns out. Next month my hair will be chock-full of cones, so we'll see.

xoxophelia
January 24th, 2010, 08:23 PM
I'm actually doing an experiment right now to determine whether or not my hair likes 'cones. I'm almost finished with my cone-free month, and so far I think I may keep my coneless regimen.

My hair is a little more tangly without the cones, but that makes sense, because cones provide a lot of slip. However, I felt like the cones were masking some of the damage on my ends (which is really what they're supposed to do), and I didn't like that, so I think I might be a permanent no-cone convert. I'll just have to add a lot of moisture to my hair without the cones sealing it in. But we'll see how my experiment turns out. Next month my hair will be chock-full of cones, so we'll see.

Oh interesting idea. Perhaps after awhile I will do a "whole lot of cones" period as well :).

I was thinking I would save them for special occasions though/

JamieLeigh
January 25th, 2010, 09:22 AM
I've been cone free for over a year, and still adoring it. :crush: I'm interested to see everyone's results! :D

xoxophelia
January 25th, 2010, 10:26 AM
I've been cone free for over a year, and still adoring it. :crush: I'm interested to see everyone's results! :D

After my second week I will be reporting back and taking some pictures of my hair without cones. I might then use cones and compare the difference. I can always clarify after. However, my hair doesn't feel like it needs added product so I might not have the heart to do it. :shrug:

Here is a question if people see this..

Does anybody know of good cone free UV protection for hair?

As I grow out my color, I don't want my roots going blonde.. :S

lovelylaura
January 26th, 2010, 10:30 AM
I washed with SLS shampoo and did an ACV rinse yesterday afternoon- no conditioner. Unfortunately I am now sick (went to Dr for throat culture) so I slept on my wet hair down until it dried besides bedhead it looks fine! I did buy the VO5 herbal escapes kiwi lime NO CONE conditioner ... 89 cents at Stop and Shop when I was picking up my free supply of antibiotics... :) but I'm going to try and stretch my next wash as long as possible!

Darkhorse1
January 26th, 2010, 12:15 PM
UV protection in conditioners are usually just for those who color treat their hair. Best thing to get is a hat or buff with SPF protection in it. I find hats/covers for my hair work wayy better than conditioners.

I attempted the no-cones, but after a week of snarly, angry hair, I returned to cones. With my job, my hair needs extra protection from the elements. For me, I go by the theory that if it ain't broke, don't fix it ;) :D I also found none con conditioners did nothing and I ended up having to use half a bottle to condition my hair.

xoxophelia
January 26th, 2010, 01:33 PM
I am using a slightly higher quality CO so I wonder if that is why I am having such good results. I never got in the habit of using cones all the time though so maybe my hair was already a little used to it hmmm

Yesterday I do my first CO wash. My hair after it was eventually brushed looked great. The ends didn't feel crunchy. Why would that be? Oh and close to no puff. I'm a convert haha..

hydrangea
January 26th, 2010, 07:22 PM
I'm going to join your challenge once my damaged, bleached hair is gone and I have "virgin" hair to work with. I tried this for about a week and the hair near my roots was awesome! But my ends were dry, dull, and the damage showed really badly. So I'm going to get a haircut once I reach APL then again at BSL and by then my damage will be gone and I will try this out.

lovelylaura
January 27th, 2010, 05:06 PM
ok did my poo/ACV rinse on Monday, and today is Wednesday and I wouldn't usually shower again so quickly but I've been ill so needed to freshen up. I COed with the VO5 kiwi lime squeeze and it didn't seem to rinse out very cleanly.. hair felt a bit sticky and was sticking to itself in clumps in the shower and after. Its still drying as I write, so I'll let you know later what its condition is. I'll probably end up shampooing on Fri AM because CO doesn't last long for me until my hair yields to the greasies. I read that some shampoos have Cones... I had no idea! I'm going to check to make sure the one I used on Monday doesn't have any!

xoxophelia
January 31st, 2010, 10:00 PM
Woooo! I finished the 2 week no cone challenge :D

I currently have a mix of olive oil, honey, and conditioner in my hair for the night and then I will try to get some pics of my untampered texture tomorrow before going into phase two of the experiment as suggested in this thread earlier.

I am next going to do two weeks with silicone and a decent amount of it :) ... I figure if it is a problem, two weeks really isn't too long and I can always clarify after.

So notable obersations: I did have some puffy days but I learned to work around it and improve it through loose braid waves and the like.. or just brushing it with a little water on the comb and a touch of jojoba oil. My hair maybe tangled just a little bit but nothing noticable. I was actually able to find a few splits I hadn't seen before and S&D'd them.

Harriet
February 1st, 2010, 05:26 AM
My hair feels much softer, but I find my hair is quite frizzy the first day or two after washing so i've been wearing it up a lot. I've managed almost 4 days so far without washing and its only just starting to feel greasy.

Lexie
February 1st, 2010, 07:53 AM
Harriet, are you using any oils? I find if my hair isn't lightly coated in some kind of oil, it gets poofy.

Harriet
February 1st, 2010, 08:23 AM
I use oil once its fully dry but this doesnt seem to tame all the frizzies. Perhaps I should try adding some to my hair while.its still damp.

Lexie
February 1st, 2010, 04:01 PM
Possibly. I don't really know. I do apply to wet hair though.

xoxophelia
February 1st, 2010, 10:01 PM
I will be posting pics of my hair after the 2 weeks no cone in my soon to be "2 week cone comparison to no cone" thread... they are also in my album (the ones in the red shirt :D)