PDA

View Full Version : Who takes your growth pics?

Pear Martini
January 16th, 2010, 07:46 AM
I am embaressed to ask my bf (yes, its true) and I have gotten my mom to do it before but she dislikes my long (APL) hair so it ends up with her telling me I would look prettier with a bob and that my bangs make me look like a maid :D

So who takes your growth and hair pics?

Heavenly Locks
January 16th, 2010, 07:50 AM
My husband does :) he thinks it's weird that I want them but he loves me so ;)

I do have to fuss at him to make sure that there isn't a wind blowing when he takes the photo or that there isn't some strange lump of hair making me look like I've got a knobby head though...

WyrdWay
January 16th, 2010, 07:50 AM
my camera's timer so I can get the right angle :D

:edit: I sit it in the medicine cabinet, and then I have to crop the rest of the bathroom out of the picture.

Carolyn
January 16th, 2010, 07:55 AM
I do mirror pics myself or I have my stylist or my friend who does most of my trims take them. I wouldn't dream of asking anyone else. That would invite the question of "why do you want a picture of the back of your head?" I am not going to deal with that.

Pear Martini
January 16th, 2010, 08:16 AM

:edit: I sit it in the medicine cabinet, and then I have to crop the rest of the bathroom out of the picture.

I need to find out if my cam has a timer

Carolyn
January 16th, 2010, 08:18 AM
I need to find out if my cam has a timerI need to find the book that came with my camera. I've never been able to figure out how to use the camera timer on my own.

kelly-j
January 16th, 2010, 08:18 AM
I take them myself, using the timer put on ten seconds.

florenonite
January 16th, 2010, 08:27 AM
I use the self-timer on my camera or a mirror. ETA: I got the camera Christmas 2004 and didn't work out how to use the self-timer till spring of 2008 :o

Annushka
January 16th, 2010, 08:27 AM
I also use the timer on my camera: I set it on top of my aquarium. Because of lighting problems and focus problems, it can take awhile to get a picture good enough. Someday I want to figure out a way to take a picture outside - maybe I'll set the camera on the lid of the grill.

Hiriel
January 16th, 2010, 08:32 AM
I sometimes take them myself, I have a gorillapod for my camera, and it has a timer, but usually, I get my boyfriend to do it. Much easier. He thinks it's amusing, but not weird :)

katha
January 16th, 2010, 08:33 AM
I'm using the timer, too. 10 seconds.

Sammich
January 16th, 2010, 08:37 AM
I do it! :) 5 second self timer. I'm scared to ask anyone in my house to do it for me, they don't know I'm THAT obssessed with my hair. ;)

Ravenwaves 88
January 16th, 2010, 08:52 AM
My DH.....although he thinks I'm crazy for it. He takes really good pics.....he usually gets it on the first try.

Heidi_234
January 16th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Mr Self Timer is my best friend too. :agree: :p

Noctifer
January 16th, 2010, 09:01 AM
I use the timer

Latin Tea
January 16th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Well, my 15 yo daughter takes many of them for me. She rolls her eyes and says, "You want ANOTHER picture of your hair? Oh, Mom, you are so weird." Yes, definite bonding time going on here. ;)

Armelle
January 16th, 2010, 09:06 AM
Me! Yep, 10 second timer and the tv to hold the camera...what a support team! :D

Tornerose
January 16th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Whoever I ask, usually does. They don't quite "get it" though, so I wish I could find a suitable place for a timer.

I wouldn't dream of asking anyone else. That would invite the question of "why do you want a picture of the back of your head?" I am not going to deal with that.
Haha I get that alot. I usually just say "it's for the hair-forum". If it results in "huh?" I say "well, it's to see if the shampoo-routine works or not over time". Then they look confused, take the picture and jyst start chatting about shampoos :D

katha
January 16th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Whoever I ask, usually does. They don't quite "get it" though, so I wish I could find a suitable place for a timer.

Use whatever works. I'm curently using a windowsill and make sure I'm standing far away from it so it'll show my hair completely.
I used to use a shelf, worked also fine. Any flat surface will do, even if it's lower than your head if you have the option to move away a bit further.

LoversLullaby
January 16th, 2010, 09:19 AM
I take them in the mirror myself as my hair is still short enough so I can get a pretty good pic of it.
When it gets longer and I can't though, I'm pretty sure I could ask my grandma to do it, she's used to the weird things I do!

Pixna
January 16th, 2010, 10:00 AM
My DH takes them for me. He's actually pretty sweet about it. :heart:

Isa-belle
January 16th, 2010, 10:07 AM
I take all of my pictures (the one exception is the last length shot I have, with my purple coat). I happen to have a tripod for other purposes and it's proven quite handy for hair shots, too :p I love the ability to control everything (also, I enjoy being autonomous, if that makes sense - although it is very sweet to have someone willing to take a hair pic when we're having a walk and there's a nice background :) ).

JenniferNoel
January 16th, 2010, 10:12 AM
I take me own, I turn the camera towards the large mirror behind me, and use a small mirror to see the back of my camera so I know where it's pointing, turn flash off and instead angle myself perfectly so the light hits my hair enough to be able to see the spirals/waves, and it works perfectly every time.

I probably made that sound way too complicated. :gabigrin:

camirra555
January 16th, 2010, 10:16 AM
My boyfriend does it. He knows how nuts I am about my hair

walterSCAN
January 16th, 2010, 10:17 AM
My fiance does it for me-- he's used to my vagaries and has steadier hands than I do!

Actually, I think I could get most anyone I'm relatively close with to take them for me... everyone pretty much expects weirdness from me, so they question very little anymore. Pictures of the back of my head is a fairly normal request by comparison, coming from me.

2peasinapod
January 16th, 2010, 10:59 AM
My mom or dad took mine, and I took the ones of my first pony stub with the aid of a bathroom mirror. It's hard to take a picture when you can't see anything (my first were either cut off, too close, too far, way off center, etc), but sometimes you can't get someone to do it for you.

coscass
January 16th, 2010, 11:02 AM
I take my own. I set my timer on my camera and walk out in front of it, etc.

enfys
January 16th, 2010, 11:08 AM
I can't get them myself, so DH takes photos for me. This is why I never have spontaneous updo shots. I only ever have one half of them...or a photo of my finger...

Darian Moone
January 16th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Usually my DH, but he's rolling his eyes at the same time. LOL! :)

Honey39
January 16th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Me - camera on self-timer. I actually tend to take a LOT of photos, lol. I've been taking a daily photo of my clothes for the last six months plus, which has been a very interesting experiment. So if i'm doing that, I often will take one of the back of my head :) I have an idea that I will do a montage one day, lol

teela1978
January 16th, 2010, 11:31 AM
I usually use the timer on my camera. I'm pretty good at the camera held over the head taking a picture in the mirror technique as well though.

Copasetic
January 16th, 2010, 12:02 PM
No one takes them because I am too embarrassed to ask someone to do it. I need a bit more practice with the self-timer before I can do it myself. For now I just stick with shots of the side of my hair, because they are easy to take by myself.

Buddaphlyy
January 16th, 2010, 12:13 PM

This is what I do also. Except I'm too lazy to crop so I just post everything.

Quixii
January 16th, 2010, 12:20 PM
I do. :) My camera has a timer, so I usually use that. If I can't find a place to put it on to use the timer, then I'll do the awkward angling in the bathroom mirror, which I can usually get to work for me. ^-^

Carrie Ingalls
January 16th, 2010, 12:30 PM
My sister (also a long hair) usually takes them for me.

However, I have had almost every member of my immediate family take hair pictures of some sort (not always "growth pics") for me at one time or another.

Xandergrammy
January 16th, 2010, 12:43 PM
My DH takes them for me. He's actually pretty sweet about it. :heart:

My DH takes my pictures too and he's also pretty sweet about it. He even reminds me if I forget to ask. He measures my hair too. :sun:

pepperminttea
January 16th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Self-timer, ten seconds. It's easier than the weird looks if I asked someone else.

truwave
January 16th, 2010, 01:23 PM
My husband was taking mine, I was embarrassed to ask, like many others, but he's my husband so he does it,and he'll even retake if he dosent like something about it. But now he gone away for a while, so I'll have to figure out somewhere to use the self timer I guess.

Naamah
January 16th, 2010, 01:45 PM
I either use a mirror or my BF does it for me.

Bonny
January 16th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Usually I do it myself - my camera has a remote control which is a really really nice feature. :D The windowsill in the bathroom is a good height to put my camera on.

My most recent pictures were taken by DH, though, because the lighting in the bathroom wasn't good enough at the time I wanted to take the picture. He didn't say anything about it... he's gotten used to my weird interests. :)

Liss
January 16th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Due to a lack of having anyone to take them for me, I take them myself.

1st attempts of my length shot involved carrying a massive mirror into my bathroom for the natural light, resulting in about a thousand shots of my finger, ear, wall, basin, etc... until I finally managed to actually get my hair.

For up-do's I discovered a much simpler option of sitting on the floor and using the self timer, but I had to use the flash since there's not much light in my room.

Yeesha
January 16th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Self-timer (10 sec), mirror... Most of the pictures takes my DBF. He thinks I'm weird anyway, so... Why don't ask him to do it? *g*
Plus he measures my hair every month... And he did either even before he was my BF. *g*

Forever_Sophie
January 16th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Either me, with the mirror, or my grandma.

Peter
January 16th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Camera self timer. :)

Razor
January 16th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Self timer hell yeah :cheese:

Hiriel
January 16th, 2010, 03:31 PM
I also got my brother to take a picture of an updo for me. I just told him I wanted to see properly how it looked from the back - he didn't question it.

Kris Dove
January 16th, 2010, 03:36 PM
My fiance- I've tried taking a few myself but they're terrible, so it's officially his job now! :)

Rainchants
January 16th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Self timer, two or ten seconds.

mrs_b
January 16th, 2010, 03:50 PM
The first one (in my avatar) took my DH. My intention was just to made him familiar with my new 'obsession'.
In the future I intend to let my camera's timer do its job so I can have more fun with it. :happydance:

slz
January 16th, 2010, 03:50 PM
I sometimes do it myself in a mirror but for proper ones it needs to be done outside, so my SO does it for me. He laughs at me, saying it's for "you hair f*tish board", but he's nice enough to do it so I put up with the teasing :D .

SchnauzerMom
January 16th, 2010, 03:51 PM
My husband takes them for me. He thinks I'm crazy but he does it anyway.

squee
January 16th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Right now...I try to do them myself.
But..I do hope to get my boyfriend to do them, slowly working him up on my hair weirdness. :)

Niftytiffs
January 16th, 2010, 04:06 PM
My hubby does them :) It means he gets to brush out and smooth my hair for me which he rather enjoys so its not too much of a hardship for him ;)

Tiffers

deko
January 16th, 2010, 04:23 PM
I use the mirror and take the pictures myself. And I know I should take at least the starting picture but I just don't seem to have the time, sorry.

Kirzja
January 16th, 2010, 05:24 PM
So far, I have taken my own pics (secretly ;)) with my camera's self-timer.
But it takes a lot of effort to get the camera in the right position and to focus it.

So last week I asked my bf if he would take my hair pics for me in the future, and he said yes.
He didn't even think it was silly, cause he takes pictures of his hobby (electronic chips etc.) to post them on his forum, which he thought to be equally silly. :p

missjessiecakes
January 16th, 2010, 05:28 PM
DF takes my pictures. He laughs at me but he does it.

Pear Martini
January 16th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Well, my 15 yo daughter takes many of them for me. She rolls her eyes and says, "You want ANOTHER picture of your hair? Oh, Mom, you are so weird." Yes, definite bonding time going on here. ;)

Lol, watch, one day she will wanna be just like you!

When I was a teen I didnt get or like anything my mom was into especially her fashion sense. Now I will go shopping and think, would my mom wear this?

She has the classy, sophisticated yet cute and feminine style.

She hates long hair though, never seen her hair touch her shoulders. She always tells me I would look better with a bob :rolleyes:

ETA:
So it sounds like most of us use our self-timers but a few of us brave girls ask BFs and 1 or 2 of us ak our children :D

It sounds like I will either have to figure out if my cam has a self-timer, ask my BF he already thinks Im crazy tho, or train my pomeranian to take pictures of me .

heynormy
January 16th, 2010, 07:17 PM
My younger sister! She normally groans about it and rolls her eyes at me, but for a seven year old she sure takes a good photo!:D

Hay22
January 16th, 2010, 07:17 PM
I use the self timer and set the camera on top of my livingroom tv. My pets stare at me while I'm doing this the same way they stare when I play on the Wii Fit.

RavennaNight
January 16th, 2010, 07:19 PM
I take 'em myself. I feel odd asking DH to do it. And anyone else, well... It really isn't most people's business. Some folks think I'm weird enough:lol:.

tralalalara
January 16th, 2010, 07:33 PM
my dresser is a pretty good height so i'll probably try that as a base for my camera on self timer

=]

curlylocks85
January 16th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Either my mother or myself.

Pear Martini
January 16th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Me - camera on self-timer. I actually tend to take a LOT of photos, lol. I've been taking a daily photo of my clothes for the last six months plus, which has been a very interesting experiment. So if i'm doing that, I often will take one of the back of my head :) I have an idea that I will do a montage one day, lol

When I get a charger for my cam I want to take pictures of outfits so when I'm feeling uncreative I can just pick which outfit I am in the mood for from my pictures and wear that. I wonder if thats kind of neurotic? lol

littlemoon
January 16th, 2010, 08:06 PM
When I get a charger for my cam I want to take pictures of outfits so when I'm feeling uncreative I can just pick which outfit I am in the mood for from my pictures and wear that. I wonder if thats kind of neurotic? lol

i wouldnt call it neurotic, id call it lazily organized ;)

windinherhair
January 16th, 2010, 08:56 PM
When we are out someplace my husband takes them for me. If I am taking pictures inside, I set up the camera myself or use the mirror.

AmandaPanda
January 16th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Me, Myself & I :)

Cassi
January 16th, 2010, 10:44 PM
My DH or the older of my 8 year old twins - he's really good! I think my son gets it better than my husband sometime, but maybe it has to do with height. I am only 5'2" and my husband is more than a foot taller. If I sit Trey is perfect height for the picture taking :)

peachrose
January 16th, 2010, 11:07 PM
I use my timer 90% of the time. I've had my husband take a few but for some reason I feel a little vain about asking him most of the time. I find that the timer by a window with natural light turns out the best or I use my balcony. I prefer to not use flash at all.

Debra83
January 16th, 2010, 11:09 PM
I do!!! With a cell phone camera to boot!

HildeMV
January 17th, 2010, 01:04 AM
I take them myself. I use a timer and set it to take like 8 pictures, and try several times so that I get a picture I'm happy with.

Aer
January 17th, 2010, 01:07 AM
My husband takes them. He's all for my hair obsession, and education here at TLHC.

Gypsy069
January 17th, 2010, 01:08 AM
My son does for me. With his phone. My camera is always dead.. hehe. I dont think he does to bad a job.

hanne jensen
January 17th, 2010, 01:46 AM
My DH measures my hair for me. We don't take pics, but I'm sure he would do it if I asked.

FrannyG
January 17th, 2010, 05:26 AM
When I first joined LHC, I was far too embarrassed to ask anyone to take my photos. I quickly learned how to use self-timers, which is how most of my style pictures are taken.

After a while, I no longer had any embarrassment, so I often enlist a family member to take length shots. Usually when I try to take my own length photos, there are already strands out of place by the time the picture is taken. Having a helper with both brush and camera makes a nicer length shot.

Having said that, I think that every LHCer needs to learn how to use a timer, so as not to annoy family members too frequently. It's nice to be self-reliant.

Masara
January 17th, 2010, 06:52 AM
Another one here who doesn't want to have to explain to anyone why they want a photo of the back of their head. Plus, I like to take several, in case the light or the angle is not good and I really can't see my dh being patient enough to take one photo let alone three or four.

So it's self timer, on the book shelf, in the balcony (sounds like Cluedo :D )

redneckprincess
January 17th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Myself - with a hand held mirror and a full length mirror (or my bathroom med cabnet - it has mirrors that open making it easy to see the back of my hair)...look at my weekly and monthly albums to know what I mean....
My husband - he thinks its weird, but he will do it if I need him to
My daughter (12.5 yrs) - she thinks its crazy but is a great help!!

I also enlist their help when it comes to measuring....mostly DD...hubby asked me to measure his last time I asked him to do mine, lol :)

Vijikanth
January 17th, 2010, 10:52 AM
I use my digicam for the purpose which has a timer with an option of taking many snaps with another timer. So I set it up with usually 3 or 4 snaps. I can turn right left and straight...

Chrissy
January 17th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Either of my two sons. My dh is the one who measures. They all know that I'm hair addicted especially since I've been with this hair board for 7 yrs next month. :)

RoseRedDead
January 17th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Whoever I can cajole to do so when I overcome my shyness and embarrassment (a family member). Which is why there aren't many pictures of my hair in existence.

Juneii
January 17th, 2010, 03:38 PM
myself of course. yay for self timing settings on camera's!

Airisuu
January 19th, 2010, 03:12 PM
My fiance takes them for me.

When I first asked him to begin taking a photo of the back of my head every two weeks so I could "track my growth" he reacted the same way I do when he asks me to do some crazy thing for a hobby of his; smiled indulgently and did his best to comply. He's really good about it, I'm very grateful!

AbruptlyWanderi
January 19th, 2010, 03:37 PM
I get my 13-years-old little sister, my mom, or my dad to do it for me. They are used to my oddness, and don't really mind.

cmnt831
January 19th, 2010, 04:37 PM
I'm still learning, but I take them myself - camera on top of my head, one mirror behind, one mirror in front. Not the best pictures yet, but I've noticed they've been improving with practice ;). Ultimately, I want to ask my husband to take some of them to capture better detail. He'll think I'm weird probably, but we're both used to that by now :p.

restourceful
January 19th, 2010, 05:09 PM
After multiple epic fails at trying in-the-mirror-behind-me shots I finally got my sweet hubby to do mine. He wasn't thrilled about taking a picture of the back of my head. I don't think he really understood what I wanted because he either cut off the top of my head or the bottom of my ends in the first two shots. But he finally got a whole hair shot. He's really a sweetie, honest!

Fiferstone
January 19th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Slowly getting the hang of using the camera in my phone (not a bad little camera, actually) and the handheld mirror in front of my bathroom mirror. My son also helps out, my husband thinks I'm nuts :) but that's nothing new. It's one of the things he loves about me. The fact that I have long hair and that I'm nuts.

Shermie Girl
January 19th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Sometimes my husband takes them but most of the time, I just use the self timer feature on my camera. :)

smilinjenn71
January 19th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Basically anyone I can snag to take the pic. Usually it is hubby though b/c he is much more patient with how picky I can be.:p

ravenreed
January 19th, 2010, 07:14 PM
I have a camera phone, so I have trouble taking my own pics. I get my sons to do it, but they are SOOO difficult about it.